HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New OT Thread: Spring Training is Here!

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 12:26 AM
Draekke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgirl View Post
We got our Maltese/Poodle at Puppy Tales in Sherwood Park. It's a small operation and they are bred by the owner and her family. They are out on an acreage in Ardrossan, I believe, and the puppies are well cared for.

We got ours 5 years ago so I'm not 100% sure if they are still breeding. The owner is really knowledgeable and might be able to steer you elsewhere if they aren't breeding anymore.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info, we'll check it out.

Edit: Looks like they've changed to be a dog groomer. Thanks for the info, though!

Last edited by Draekke: 06-11-2013 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Update
Old
06-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
I don't want to change the tone or purpose of the topic, but does it have to be a breeder? I just know of several great rescue organizations.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:21 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
I don't want to change the tone or purpose of the topic, but does it have to be a breeder? I just know of several great rescue organizations.
Me too.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:26 AM
thinlizzy

Here is a good rescue agency. The price is decent and you can view most of the dogs in Edmonton near Westomount. I looked at two myself for my papipoo but the dogs were not a match.

http://www.wharfrescue.ca/

Old
06-11-2013, 01:32 AM
Draekke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
I'll check with her, but any info would be great. The only thing I could imagine being an issue, is that she wants to get puppies who are very young (as soon as breeders normally sell them 8-10 weeks), and that she wants a puppy that has been taken care of, which may have been an issue in rescue situations I imagine.

But information is still great, and she may find a puppy from a rescue organization that fits what she is looking for.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:12 AM
MetaOil1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Not sure if anybody else here has been on the E3 streams all day, but I'm pretty sure Sony is about to be arrested for assault.
I didn't bother watching the Sony one since I am more of an Xbox guy, What exactly happened?

Old
06-11-2013, 04:29 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
I didn't bother watching the Sony one since I am more of an Xbox guy, What exactly happened?
No used game restrictions, no online requirements, $100 cheaper... Kingdom Hearts 3 didn't hurt. They spent the last 20 minutes of their conference essentially directly opposing every bad part of the Xbox One.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:45 AM
MetaOil1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
No used game restrictions, no online requirements, $100 cheaper... Kingdom Hearts 3 didn't hurt. They spent the last 20 minutes of their conference essentially directly opposing every bad part of the Xbox One.

Oh haha my bad I thought something actually happened with a Sony guy attacking a fan or something

And I saw that on Twitter, Great deal. Its too bad i'm such an loyal Xbox junkie I can't make a switch to Playstation even though I am not that blown away from the Xbox one.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I've had Shaw TV/Internet and Telus Optik TV/Internet and I like Telus 13470938471847123049871047123% more.
If you want fast reliable internet Shaw blows Telus out of the water. Like absolutely murders them.

If you're a guy with a family that's watching hd on a few t.v's and still try to run internet at a good speed. Telus will crap the bed. You share your bandwidth with your cable television at Telus. They also have much lower caps on download and upload. Something to consider if you run netflix or other streaming sites or torrents.

If you're mostly interested in t.v only though. Telus is probably better as it's definately more cost effective.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

You're such an xbox junkie that you're going to just lay down and let yourself be blatantly ripped off ?

Old
06-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
If you want fast reliable internet Shaw blows Telus out of the water. Like absolutely murders them.

If you're a guy with a family that's watching hd on a few t.v's and still try to run internet at a good speed. Telus will crap the bed. You share your bandwidth with your cable television at Telus. They also have much lower caps on download and upload. Something to consider if you run netflix or other streaming sites or torrents.

If you're mostly interested in t.v only though. Telus is probably better as it's definately more cost effective.
This was me in my honeymoon phase. I was sick of being ripped off by Shaw.

Now that the honeymoon phase is over, I'm waiting for my telus contract to expire so I can switch back.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
I'll check with her, but any info would be great. The only thing I could imagine being an issue, is that she wants to get puppies who are very young (as soon as breeders normally sell them 8-10 weeks), and that she wants a puppy that has been taken care of, which may have been an issue in rescue situations I imagine.

But information is still great, and she may find a puppy from a rescue organization that fits what she is looking for.
Is your GF 100% sure she is ready for a puppy? Has she had dogs before? will she and you have tons of time for the dog? Puppies are a lot of work early on and take lots of time and patience. Even after they grow up dogs are still a major responsibility, long term.

I'm not trying to rain on a parade but it's important to be 100% sure you have the time for a pup and dog as they grow.

re breeders, do a web search for the breed and alberta and you should fund some, look at their web site and look for the health guarantees you seek. fire off email questions to them. Visit the breeder if you can to see their set up. It should be a nice clean facility and try and stay away from breeders that have too many breeding dogs.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:20 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
You're such an xbox junkie that you're going to just lay down and let yourself be blatantly ripped off ?
I have all 3 current gen systems and nothing Sony has done in the last 7 years has excited me, not even this. Seems to me it's best to stick with the current gen for as long as possible. Sony looks good here because Microsoft looks bad. It still doesn't make the PS4 exciting or even interesting. The PS3 and Vita weren't exactly world beaters next to their Nintendo counterparts, so I'm not trusting the PS4 to be good just because the One looks like crap.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I have all 3 current gen systems and nothing Sony has done in the last 7 years has excited me, not even this. Seems to me it's best to stick with the current gen for as long as possible. Sony looks good here because Microsoft looks bad. It still doesn't make the PS4 exciting or even interesting. The PS3 and Vita weren't exactly world beaters next to their Nintendo counterparts, so I'm not trusting the PS4 to be good just because the One looks like crap.
I'm not a huge console gamer myself, I only play a little here and there.
I've always liked that Sony has throw ins on each new console though.
PS2 had a built in DVD player, Microsoft charged you for the add on (IIRC)
PS3 had a built in blue ray player, and Microsoft lost by throwing in with HDDVD... not to mention the PS Network is free and was WIFI capable from the get go.

I know Xbox Live doesn't cost all that much, but Sony has just always been better to their customers IMO.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:39 AM
MetaOil1993

Quote:
Kinda hard to switch when you have childhood friends that play Xbox with you occasionally...Don't see how $100 cheaper is such a rip off either. Not only that there's game series that are Xbox exclusive that I am a big fan of. I am not a fan of Sony exclusive games at all.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

100$ is just the tip of the iceberg.
From all the complaining I've seen in my twitter and FB newsfeed about no backwards compatability, the licensing, xbox live, etc

Old
06-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Draekke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Is your GF 100% sure she is ready for a puppy? Has she had dogs before? will she and you have tons of time for the dog? Puppies are a lot of work early on and take lots of time and patience. Even after they grow up dogs are still a major responsibility, long term.

I'm not trying to rain on a parade but it's important to be 100% sure you have the time for a pup and dog as they grow.

re breeders, do a web search for the breed and alberta and you should fund some, look at their web site and look for the health guarantees you seek. fire off email questions to them. Visit the breeder if you can to see their set up. It should be a nice clean facility and try and stay away from breeders that have too many breeding dogs.
Hard not to get kinda bristled at your post. We're not 15 YO's who don't understand what responsibility and commitment mean. Yes, she's sure she wants a puppy.

She is the type of person who doesn't eat at a restaurant before reading up about it on several sites like urbanspoon, and other websites before "committing" to a meal. She is actually doing so much research into it, which is why she's having issues finding a good enough breeder. Yes, we've done web searches. She's been on kijiji for weeks, contacting every breeder that looks half-ways reliable. She's still having issues with the specifications she wants.

She visited one in particular that had one of the best websites, and the specifications she desired, but upon going to visit, the house was a mess, hair not even attempted to be cleaned up, the owner was in bare feet, and her feet we pitch black from the dirt on the floor, 5 puppies kept in the same small kennel (which she banged on to try and stop them from whining), and she wasn't allowed to see the parents because 'they were outside.' Very sketchy situation to say the least.

The reason why I posted on here, was that she wasn't having too much luck atm, and I figured some posters may have some good places they know.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:16 AM
dnicks17

Pshh. Kids these days.

Bought my first dog(as a puppy) at a farmer's market when I was 8 years old for $5.

Best money I ever spent.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:35 AM
MetaOil1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Pshh. Kids these days.

Bought my first dog(as a puppy) at a farmer's market when I was 8 years old for $5.

Best money I ever spent.
Your too old to understand todays gaming technology

Old
06-11-2013, 02:00 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

I usually buy 2/3 consoles every gen based on what I feel gives me the best gaming experience.

I went with PS2 and GameCube 2 gens ago because of Nintendo's Exclusives and because PS2 was IMO the best console of that gen. Last gen I went with Wii and 360 because once again, Ninty's exclusives combined with 360 exclusives like Halo and Gears made me feel it was the best combo to have. I had no problem giving up God of War and whatever else. IMO PS3 exclusives weren't all that good.

This time around, it's PS4 and Wii U easily. I get my Zelda's, Smash Bros, Mario Karts and now KH3 (!!!!!!), FF15, while still getting my NHL's and whatever else. It's worth it to give up Halo and Gears IMO. Plus XB1 totally shat on its customers. I was a HUUGE Xbox fanboy last gen but I feel like they don't care about consumers at all with their latest moves.

Old
06-11-2013, 03:46 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Meanwhile between a PS3 and a PC, I haven't had a reason to turn my 360 on in around 3 years. Everything I saw at E3 points to that trend continuing. Remove all the BS and drop the price, the Xbox One still looks irrelevant if you have a decent computer in your house.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:04 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
The Wii was successful mostly due to Nintendo's exclusive titles and long-running franchises. The PS3 and 360 were/are much better systems with a larger library of games.

With that said, I agree that the PS4 looks really good right now because the X1 has been getting a lot of backlash. Tying online to PS+ is a move I'd hate normally, but because of the DRM with the X1, PS+ online looks more than reasonable.

06-11-2013, 04:07 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Global sales are pretty much even. PS3 got Japan and Europe, 360 got UK and America. PS4 will still have Japan and Europe, and now more of UK and America than before.

And if you haven't liked anything Sony has done in 7 years, you don't like games and should probably just stop playing.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:42 PM
thinlizzy

The reason why I posted on here, was that she wasn't having too much luck atm, and I figured some posters may have some good places they know.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing she is now doing 2 years in a row. I did my homework on the size of the dog, characteristics, intelligence for the first dog and I got a dud. Pappi-poodle from hell. The person I bought the dog off said she was paper trained. I spent 5-7 months trying to get her to go outside. She crapped and peed in every room, bed , clothes etc. At about a year she has settled down but still is inconsistent. The breed was supposed to be intelligent and a good walking dog. This one isn't too swift.

The second one I got to be buddies with her I obtained from a breeder. Italian Greyhound. Paid a good sum of money and again and the research was not very compelling of the traits of this breed. He is miles ahead of the other in bathroom but almost refuses to go outside and settles on doing business on the pads in the kennel. He is 6 months now and still literally chews everything and is beyond nosey in finding stuff to chew and puke up. The breed is supposed to be more on the calm side but I am not seeing this as he is constantly racing up and down the house all the time. I take them both for two walks a day and this does not have much effect. I have had to use the muzzle up to 3 times in a day. With his chewing in and outside I have had to de worm him, again. I would never buy another puppy for a dog again. I previously had a terrier poodle that was 100 times smarter then both these dogs.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Eytinge

Anyone ever go to a movie using D-Box? Never used it before but heard its a lot of fun, but is it worth the $23 dollar price?

Closed Thread