HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2013, 09:31 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
lol does anyone follow jack todd on twitter? dude is the sickest CP hater ever
I don't see any reason to follow Jack Todd of all people on Twitter. I avoid his articles like the plague to begin with.

If anyone has a clue as to how this tool still has his job, please let me know.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:37 PM
TT1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annyong View Post
I don't see any reason to follow Jack Todd of all people on Twitter. I avoid his articles like the plague to begin with.

If anyone has a clue as to how this tool still has his job, please let me know.
well "good" journalists usually go against the grain so its common for alot of them to be controversial, but with him it feels like he does it for the sake of being an ass lol. everything he says just comes off as being forced

Old
06-03-2013, 11:56 PM
haburger

jack todd is the luckiest guy on the planet!!writes his opinion about a game he knows nothing about.and gets paid for it.who's the smart guy???

Old
06-04-2013, 05:36 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Dude, it's not because ''Price was going nowhere'' that we had complete control. Matter of fact, we didn't have complete control seeing how Price was eligible for arbitration.
If no agreement was reached then an arbitrator would have settled on a salary for the upcoming season. And letting things go to arbitration isn't necessarily the best both in terms of salary or relationship.
So ya, we didn't have complete control to the point of saying ''whatever, we'll just play this waiting game''.

Let me make this straight, I'm not saying that this makes the contract okay. I'm merely bringing up a reasoning for it. I don't think it's as simple as you make it seem (ironically you're the one telling me things aren't this black and white). If that's the case, and Bergeron is a guy that signs his players based on evaluation, then explain to me why he would hold out PK in order to give him a deal worth peanuts? Did Bergevin value PK to be worth nothing more than a 4th Dman? Obviously not.
To me it showed Bergeron understood the negotiating game pretty well.
He held out PK because in his case, we indeed had complete control. PK could literally do nothing but sit at home if he was unhappy with the negotiations.

Price on the other hand would have had the arbitration ruling, and if the team didn't want to sign him, he'd have become an UFA. So no, that's not complete control buddy.

Then you have to factor in the fact that there's no other goalie that's even close to Price that we could have brought in. It's not like on defense with 5 other guys playing. There's only one goalie stopping pucks, and our only other option was Budaj.
So no, that's not really dealing from a position of power.

I don't understand what's so hard to see here. That doesn't mean that the deal was good or that the evaluation of MB was spot on, but Bergevin's hands were a lot more tied than you seem to think.
I don't agree at all, arbitration wouldn't have even come close to awarding CP this type of money, especially on the short term and I've yet to see a relationship completely sour over a hearing. This idea is mostly made up by fans who have no idea how negotiations and business work. There were other options for sure, arbitration being the start point and then dollars/ years could have been based around that. There are always options.

I don't agree with MB assessment/handling of PK either, but based on the commentary from players and management themselves they decided PK had some maturing and improvements to make as a person. For whatever reason, MB was most likely fed a lot of BS from players and previous management. We don't know the details, but basing negotiations purely on leverage and ignoring evaluations doesn't seem like MB MO.

He evaluated price as one of the top at position. Still plenty of time for his assessment to pan out.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Fifthgear

I remember this game, 5 years ago against the Flyers, Carey looked more imponer by staying on his feet, but the few times he was down on his knees, he had that natural way of getting to his knees back to his feet like no one. The way Carey was is the Carey that we need.

He looks small now and he´s 6,3? WTF

For people that know a bit of baseball and the Expos, it makes me thing the same thing as when they tried changing the way of hitting of Andres Galarraga. He was fine, but after the change he lost confidence. When he was traded to St-Louis, he went back to his style and produced like never before and we lost a good player for nothing.

This is the Habs-Flyers game that Price had a shutout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3PjbhPuMB8

Last edited by Fifthgear: 06-04-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old
06-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Not that I want to absolutely go on with that debate....but I thought that was worthy of being seen....Harsh words from Melanson...

Says that Price kept regressing since the day he left.....Says that Price is all over the place right now. But wouldn't mind come in again to work with Carey f things don't go well with him in Vancouver. Says that Price wasn't exactly working that hard during practices...Says that Groulx wasn't exactly helping, that he wanted to be his friend instead...

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/l...price-1.630697

Old
06-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not that I want to absolutely go on with that debate....but I thought that was worthy of being seen....Harsh words from Melanson...

Says that Price kept regressing since the day he left.....Says that Price is all over the place right now. But wouldn't mind come in again to work with Carey f things don't go well with him in Vancouver. Says that Price wasn't exactly working that hard during practices...Says that Groulx wasn't exactly helping, that he wanted to be his friend instead...

Never know what's going on behind closed doors. Melanson might have an axe to grind... or maybe not.

Saying that Price regressed since he left is BS though.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:

This article is so dumb. The way I read it: Melanson is mad.
Has he even followed Carey Price after he got fired in 2009? And I'm sure he probably helped Luongo in his play?

Old
06-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Price has had his ups and downs. I'm still saying today he's not elite. He's good. Just too inconsistent. Weak mentally. He still needs to prove himself in Montreal.

But regressing? Price has regressed since Melanson left? Wow, someone is obviously not watching him play.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

I think it will be a long wait for Melanson to come back to Montreal, especially after this interview.

You get a sense that Melanson was enjoying a 14 year tenure in Montreal and it came crashing down on him because of what he feels was Price's work ethic.

This is the guy that knows price as well as anyone, and opines that Price is an unpolished gem still after almost 350 games in the NHL.

Roy's comments, Melanson's comments, the firing of Groulx. All points to Price being a work in progress. Let's hope the next coach whoever he is can get to the root of the problem.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:09 PM
deandebean

Bad pr move by Melanson. Lolll

Old
06-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Strange or stupid to say those things and then mention you wouldn't mind coming back.....Unless he knows that it "might" be something this present management ALSO thinks and would want to hear. You have to think that with that kind of statement, Melanson would have to show how great he is and make Price succeed.

Having said all of that....he says those things in the L'Acadie Nouvelle. This is the Acadie little newspaper there that I know very much since my wife is from a village near Caraquet. Not that it's not serious...but wouldn't be surprised to read soon how he was misquoted and so on....

Something is sure....I would not want Melanson near Price. Needs a fresh face.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

Price has been regressing but still winning enough games to put the Habs first in the Northeast and second overall in the East. Explain that, Melanson.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:07 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Price has been regressing but still winning enough games to put the Habs first in the Northeast and second overall in the East. Explain that, Melanson.
Price may not have regressed since Melanson left, but he hasn't gotten any better.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Price may not have regressed since Melanson left, but he hasn't gotten any better.
Are you dismissing the notion that Price is capable of resuming his upward development? He certainly has the size and fundamentals.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

He has absolutely NOT regressed. Melanson looks like a guy that is so full of himself. And not with a whole lot to show for....that was the year when Schneider should have shone and yet....they had to go back to Luongo.

So Price hasn't regressed....but he hasn't progressed.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:15 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Are you dismissing the notion that Price is capable of resuming his upward development? He certainly has the size and fundamentals.
He can, but he honestly has not improved since he got into the league and that is very concerning.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:19 AM
KrejciMVP

Time to move on from Price. He can be amazing at times but has no killer instinct in net. The habs will be so much better when he is gone.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Dharvey33

Price has been average at best the last couple of years he better get his head out of his ass or he won't have a job here anymore. I hope we draft a goalie this year just to light a fire under his ass.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:34 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
well, Pens managed to finish first in the east with MAF as their #1 goalie... explain that Teufel

Old
06-11-2013, 06:40 AM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
well, Pens managed to finish first in the east with MAF as their #1 goalie... explain that Teufel
Do not compare our team to the pens

Old
06-11-2013, 06:52 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Do not compare our team to the pens
are you saying win and losses arent all because of the goalie ?

Old
06-11-2013, 08:07 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
We should use one of our seconds to draft a goalie. Light a bit of a fire under his ass.

Notable goalies to come out of the draft in the second round: Quick, Crawford, Howard, Theodore (in his prime), Harding, Bryzgalov (was good at one point), Neuvirth.

The last great goalie to come out of the 1st round: Tuukka Rask.

Carey obviously needs to wake up and smell the Pepsis and Maywest. We need him to be close to St. Patrick mentality/compete and the skill level of Rask or Quick.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The concerning thing from the Melanson interview of course is the ever-present impression that Price is lazy. He obviously needs to work on that.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:26 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The concerning thing from the Melanson interview of course is the ever-present impression that Price is lazy. He obviously needs to work on that.
You do know he is calling Price lazy because he was back when Melanson was with the Habs. Thing is that has been clearly documented and his turnaround has been noted by almost everyone after he lost his spot to Halak.

Closed Thread