HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Tor - edm

Old
06-10-2013, 06:32 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

vCash: 500
Don't want Gagner and I'd rather have Gardiner + JVR then Yakupov.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Aela*

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Ahhh, I can see this is either going nowhere or going to devolve into a flame war.

And so I continue in my quest to find a trade proposal both sides can agree on.

Also Yakupov might be a small winger, but he doesn't play like one.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:09 AM
bobg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilina View Post
jvr + gardiner is the deal, the 1st was mainly just a joke, although i'd consider putting it in.
no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 01:04 AM
kihei

vCash: 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
I would not give up JVR Gardiner 1st for Yakupov.
And there's the rub right there. Yakupov would be a great addition, but we'd have to give up too much to get him. At least, this is a proposal that was worth thinking about.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 02:07 AM
KingKopitar11*

I would say no from a leafs perspective. That's too much and those players have decent ceilings.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
The Leafs need a #1C and a #2RHD to pair with Dion... this trade gives up significant assets and solves none of these problems.

No thanks.
Unless the Leafs unload Kessel for those exact needs. Would be smart IMO. The value is not totally off.

Leafsforlife98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 07:49 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Don't want Gagner and I'd rather have Gardiner + JVR then Yakupov.
im with you on this one.

i dont think yakupov is a big enough upgrade over jvr to warrant a gardiner and a 1st.

i recognize that gagner is in the deal but he is unlikely to be moved because edmonton needs centers just as bad as we do. either way he is not an attractive piece imo. not to say he didnt have a good season last year and isnt a good player but he is a little small. i cant see nonis/carlyle being thrilled with gagner and kadri on the top 2 lines. also, what is his contract situation? jvr is signed on a pretty sweet deal.

i also cant see nonis moving gardiner but if he did i would think it would be for a center he truly coveted. i cant imagine gagner is that center.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 08:46 AM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilina View Post
I definitely agree we need to upgrade our D. And yeah, for 2 years in a row (1 of them a shortened season) we haven't had any trouble scoring goals. Mind you before that we had trouble scoring and defending. Anyway I don't think you can say our top 6 would get worse.

Lupul - Gagner - Kessel
Kulemin - Kadri - Yakupov

That's a lot better imo than what we had this season. We lose size, but gain an elite second line and a much better setup player with Kessel. Gagner's draws aren't that bad. I definitely don't get where you say we only become slightly better offensively...Yakupov as a rookie scored more points than Bozak this year. Gagner scored more points than Grabo this year. Easier to play against? That second line is extremely dangerous and hard to play against, as is the 1st line. Don't think we take that much of a step backwards defensively, although admittedly we do a little bit. Our top 6 weren't exactly defensive studs to begin with, however.
So you agree that we no longer have a problem scoring goals... but you still want to make a trade that makes us worse defensively?

That top 6 is definitly worse. Everyone knows that Kuli is better suited for the 3rd line with Grabo and Lupul - Gagner - Kessel is an extremely small top line. Bozak isn't a big guy in any sense of the term but he has a good 15 lbs on Gagner and a couple inches.

The second line is not extremely dangerous and hard to play against. What you're building is a Montreal Canadians type of lineup... all midgets and perimeter players.

We can't afford to become a poorer defensive team, one that is also weaker on faceoffs and smaller in the corners. Those teams don't win playoff rounds.

What you've proposed sets this team back in several ways for a little bit more offensive production (not sure why you compared Gagner, Edmonton's #2C to Grabo, or #3C... Kadri is the correct comparison and he at least attempts to back check, unlike Gagner).

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Slatsmsg

Quote:
So you agree that we no longer have a problem scoring goals... but you still want to make a trade that makes us worse defensively?

That top 6 is definitly worse. Everyone knows that Kuli is better suited for the 3rd line with Grabo and Lupul - Gagner - Kessel is an extremely small top line. Bozak isn't a big guy in any sense of the term but he has a good 15 lbs on Gagner and a couple inches.

The second line is not extremely dangerous and hard to play against. What you're building is a Montreal Canadians type of lineup... all midgets and perimeter players.

We can't afford to become a poorer defensive team, one that is also weaker on faceoffs and smaller in the corners. Those teams don't win playoff rounds.

What you've proposed sets this team back in several ways for a little bit more offensive production (not sure why you compared Gagner, Edmonton's #2C to Grabo, or #3C... Kadri is the correct comparison and he at least attempts to back check, unlike Gagner).
Just having a quick ad thought this thread and would have just kept driving by, BUT, for the final comment on Gagner. Now, I am not claiming anything about your wonderful Leafs, Kadri, Grabo etc.... But you clearly have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Gagner, the whole attempts to back check, unlike Gagner! Pllleeeaaaase. Before you make a assertion like that, watch some Oiler games. I know, I know you have.....etc....clearly not.

As for OP, Yakupov is the best piece in the deal by far thus the Oilers lose the trade.

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Aela*

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:

MTL Canadians are all Midgets and Perimeter players? lol. I don't think you have any idea, good sir, what you're talking about. Grabo is not suited to the 3rd line at all, I have no idea why you think that. He isn't a shutdown player in the slightest. Kuli is better on the 3rd line, but he isn't bad on the 2nd line. And Yakupov isn't a perimeter player in any sense of the word...he uses his speed to break out and finishes with a deadly shot, drives to the net hard, or gets into the zone and passes off to a teammate in the slot. He's a very similar player to Ovechkin, who isn't a perimeter player either.

I don't think you've noticed either that Yakupov goes into the corners regularly, as does Lupul. Hell, Kessel does too. Yakupov will probably grow a couple of inches anyways. Size is nice and all, but it isn't the end all be all of lines. It's what you do with your size that matters, and Yakupov plays like he's 6'3.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote