HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Matt Read for Jonathan Bernier

Old
06-11-2013, 07:43 AM
dawkins121

vCash: 500
What do the Kings realistically want for Bernier? I feel like Read would be perfect for the Kings. He's defensively responsible and could bolster the scoring depth in their top 6 that was clearly lacking when Richards went down this year. Are they saving him for a package for something bigger?

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 07:52 AM
SchennSational1022*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
What do the Kings realistically want for Bernier? I feel like Read would be perfect for the Kings. He's defensively responsible and could bolster the scoring depth in their top 6 that was clearly lacking when Richards went down this year. Are they saving him for a package for something bigger?
Read isnt enough for Bernier because hes not big enough and plays on the offensive juggarnaut of the Flyers

All these kings fans are failing to realize he plays mostly on the 3rd line and 2nd unit of our powerplay, which doesnt even get a lot of time because our first unit is so good.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 08:27 AM
kinghock

Quote:
How Kings can afford to resign Read and Brown next year? It will be at least $9,000.000.00 cap hit. They should look for different trade for Bernier.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 08:58 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
How Kings can afford to resign Read and Brown next year? It will be at least $9,000.000.00 cap hit. They should look for different trade for Bernier.
Valid point, but who are you going to get for Bernier that is not only good value but on a contract that will allow you to keep both the acquired player plus Brown? Read still has one more year left and the Kings should obviously be contenders again next season. Read could be the difference between a key injury ruining a cup run or just being a bump in the road.

Plus Bernier needs to be signed THIS offseason and having an expensive backup could hurt your cap situation just as much. If someone threw at offersheet in the neighborhood of 3 years, 10 mill at Bernier and the Kings matched, would it be better to pay Bernier a cap hit of 3.3 million to be a backup or to pay Read 4 - 4.25 million to be an every day contributor?

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:55 AM
kinghock

Quote:
Valid point, but who are you going to get for Bernier that is not only good value but on a contract that will allow you to keep both the acquired player plus Brown? Read still has one more year left and the Kings should obviously be contenders again next season. Read could be the difference between a key injury ruining a cup run or just being a bump in the road.

Plus Bernier needs to be signed THIS offseason and having an expensive backup could hurt your cap situation just as much. If someone threw at offersheet in the neighborhood of 3 years, 10 mill at Bernier and the Kings matched, would it be better to pay Bernier a cap hit of 3.3 million to be a backup or to pay Read 4 - 4.25 million to be an every day contributor?
The best solution will be to trade Bernier for high end prospect or 2013 1st round draft pick.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:10 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
So is Richards, want to give him back?
Has Read already won everything worth winning as a hockey player?

Richards >>>> Read

Read's size is a legitimate concern.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Has Read already won everything worth winning as a hockey player?

Richards >>>> Read

Read's size is a legitimate concern.
Obviously Read is not the same caliber player as M. Richards.

But, I don't get it.

Read: 5'11, 190
Richards: 5'11, 199.

I'm not sure where this notion that Read is undersized came from. He's about average as far as NHL forwards go.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:33 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Obviously Read is not the same caliber player as M. Richards.

But, I don't get it.

Read: 5'11, 190
Richards: 5'11, 199.

I'm not sure where this notion that Read is undersized came from. He's about average as far as NHL forwards go.
No, both are a little undersized. Look at the Kings lineup and when they are on the ice. Richards is small compared to most of our forwards.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:49 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
The best solution will be to trade Bernier for high end prospect or 2013 1st round draft pick.
A fan who attended last night's NYI booster club meeting, wrote up and posted Snow's comments. He says Snow sounds open to trading the 15th overall.

We know from Newsday's report, that Sow had called Lombardi about Bernier during the season.

Just saying

From what a King fan posted, I thought the Kings wanted immediate top 6 help? Read would contribute right away. That 1st rounder is likely a few yrs away.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Let's be honest here:
Only reason Matt Read is in discussions for Bernier is because of the limited cap space we have. He makes 900,000$. No way we would even consider a Read for Bernier trade if we had more room and I like Read as a player. We need to see the bigger picture. In 2 years Bernier will bring in more value for the flyers. Read will still be a small 3rd line liner on our team.

If Read was UFA this year DL would just kick the tires but not make a 2-2.5 million offer. So why r we going to give Bernier for a potential 1 year player.

Biggest conern, we may have to lose one of Brown, Stoll or Green next year to sign Read as he enters UFA next year. Flyers need to add to Read to compensate for that. Kings can just wait and sign him when he hits UFA if the cap goes up.

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats26 View Post
Let's be honest here:
Only reason Matt Read is in discussions for Bernier is because of the limited cap space we have. He makes 900,000$. No way we would even consider a Read for Bernier trade if we had more room and I like Read as a player. We need to see the bigger picture. In 2 years Bernier will bring in more value for the flyers. Read will still be a small 3rd line liner on our team.

If Read was UFA this year DL would just kick the tires but not make a 2-2.5 million offer. So why r we going to give Bernier for a potential 1 year player.

Biggest conern, we may have to lose one of Brown, Stoll or Green next year to sign Read as he enters UFA next year. Flyers need to add to Read to compensate for that. Kings can just wait and sign him when he hits UFA if the cap goes up.
I'm pretty sure the caps supposed to go up quite a bit over the next couple of seasons. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
I'm pretty sure the caps supposed to go up quite a bit over the next couple of seasons. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
It's tied to the revenue and after this coming season's 64.3m cap, it could go anywhere. Could go down but revenue has just gone up. Another 5m jump isnt out of the question

06-11-2013, 12:04 PM
NitHeel
Kimmo Forever

Quote:
Let's be honest here:

Many agreed on a conditional pick being added if he doesn't resign - maybe a late 2nd or early 3rd.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Height is important to the kings system, and the West is big and tight. I think he'd get smacked around and do worse on the kings team.
then you better trade Toffoli, Vey and Pearson. because physical players they are not.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:14 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I think the Kings can get a better deal for Bernier.
I agree I think they go after Couts not Read.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
because physical players they are not.
Did you try to sound like Yoda here?

or should I say

Try to sound like Yoda here, did you?

Captain Mittens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:22 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
A fan who attended last night's NYI booster club meeting, wrote up and posted Snow's comments. He says Snow sounds open to trading the 15th overall.

We know from Newsday's report, that Sow had called Lombardi about Bernier during the season.

Just saying

From what a King fan posted, I thought the Kings wanted immediate top 6 help? Read would contribute right away. That 1st rounder is likely a few yrs away.
I think getting a 1st +is better for the kings in the long run. We develop someone who we like. I think Pearson is good enuff to play the 2nd lw postion till we get the pick developed. Anthony Mantha looks perfect to me and should be available around the 15th pick

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
I think getting a 1st +is better for the kings in the long run. We develop someone who we like. I think Pearson is good enuff to play the 2nd lw postion till we get the pick developed. Anthony Mantha looks perfect to me and should be available around the 15th pick
I agree. What's also wrong with:

Brown Kopitar Williams
Richards Carter Toffoli
Pearson Stoll Lewis
Clifford Vey Nolan

Fraser
King

We should maximize Bernier's value and a first in this years draft is better than Read. We can sign Read or a better player if cap goes up next year as a UFA anyway.
Kings need to get Scuds and Voynov signed ASAP.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Curufinwe

You have Richards playing LW?

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:52 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
I agree. What's also wrong with:

Brown Kopitar Williams
Richards Carter Toffoli
Pearson Stoll Lewis
Clifford Vey Nolan

Fraser
King

We should maximize Bernier's value and a first in this years draft is better than Read. We can sign Read or a better player if cap goes up next year as a UFA anyway.
Kings need to get Scuds and Voynov signed ASAP.
I ve thought about richards at lw as well im not opposed to it but he didnt seem to do well playing it in the limited games ive seem him try.

I like this as the forwards

brown kopitar williams
pearson carter toffolli
clifford richards vey
king or Andy Andreoff stoll lewis

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 01:07 PM
kingsofLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
then you better trade Toffoli, Vey and Pearson. because physical players they are not.
but none require a nice asset to aquire

kingsofLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Lineup is flexable but you get my point, do we really have to trade Bernier for a marginal 2nd line player we can lose next year, or get good picks for Bernier and let our young players play? Pearson Vey Toffoli was the best line in the AHL, i want to see them on our roster next year, we can adjust as the season progresses.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:15 PM
daveleaf

What a mess the Flyers have made. Trade Bobrov may be as bad as the Leafs trading Rask if not more. Maybe they can find a taker for Bryz with retaining a bunch of salary. Would Phx take him back for a 6th round pic and Phy hangs onto about 2mil of salary?

Someone said Read plus a second round pic. I think LA takes that and runs.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 01:20 PM
NitHeel
Kimmo Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
I agree I think they go after Couts not Read.
Why not go for Giroux?

If Couturier gets dealt, it's in a deal for a defenseman.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:21 PM
NitHeel
Kimmo Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
What a mess the Flyers have made. Trade Bobrov may be as bad as the Leafs trading Rask if not more. Maybe they can find a taker for Bryz with retaining a bunch of salary. Would Phx take him back for a 6th round pic and Phy hangs onto about 2mil of salary?

Someone said Read plus a second round pic. I think LA takes that and runs.
They can just amnesty Bryz and retain no salary.