HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Maybe Torts Wasn't the Problem

Old
06-10-2013, 04:42 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Backwards step in personnel to fit his system. Results are on par with the roster he had to his needs. His lack of ability to switch it up was an issue. Team talent got better. Richards went backwards too, but he is likely gone. Much more talnted roster now though, Adding Nash, Brassard, and Moore from C-bus are all talented players. Lost more of the grinder/tough 3rd line guys. Added more to the top 6. Need to fill out the roster again. Can be done with the young players coming in.
Where was Torts system going to take us? Isn't any step away from his system a step forward?

We supposedly (now, nobody, and certainly not Torts, said this two seasons ago) had the perfect Torts' roster two seasons ago; but we still lost to the freakin NJD after two dream match-ups (how many teams gets a chance to play the 8th seed, the 7th seed and the 6th seed on their way to the SCF's?). NJD were considerably better than us and NJD were still swept by LAK.

What did Torts ask for after loosing to NJD? Better scorers. Bigger stars. There is a cap in this league.

The relevant questions is:
Is it even remotely possible to build a team that Torts can take all the way under the cap?

No. Its impossible to see how that could be done. We need superstar scorers who are better than BR, Gabby and Nash offensively, but we still apparantly need to ice 12 forwards with the attitude of Brandon Prust. Even if you could pull of the trades, sign the UFA's or draft them, its impossible to see how that roster fits under the cap.

Many are fast to point out that Slats is at fault too. Believe me, I am not the biggest Slats fan. But I am not even sure I agree with that. Loosing Prust stung, sure. But I think its BS to say that we didn't have depth last season. Our 4th line was definitely on par with most other teams' 4th line. We paid alot to get someone like Pyatt, he is what Torts wanted. Someone who got a ton of size along the walls and got decent skill. Not alot of skill, yes, but did Torts ask for skill? No. The mix of a Pyatt and Zucc costs you 7m per and a ton of assets. That player is not an option for a 3rd line in the NHL. You gotta choose between size or skill, Torts wanted size.

Facts are that we rebuilt from 04' to get where we are today. Torts got what he wanted. We have the top 3-5 franchise player in the league who really can take you somewhere in Hank. We have so many other assets on our roster. But, we weren't even remotely close. Hank and Nash alone carried us into the PO's Hank alone stole that series against the Caps. And against Boston, they dominated from the drop of the puck 'till the series was over.

We:
-had no offense,
-had no PP,
-had no good PK (cept for Hank it was horrendus),
-had no good defense (I wonder if a single team in this league had more breakdowns than we had? Several breakaways/odd-man rushes per period almost),
-had no physical game (probably the team in the league with the fewest big hits over the course of the season), and
-and we wore tremendously on our players' health. Shaving years of them on a month by month basis.

The Torts' supporters focus on a few details. Maybe this wasn't Torts' fault. Maybe that wasn't Torts' fault. But what exactly did Torts give us? Is that enough to be the best of thirty teams?

Last edited by Ola: 06-10-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Where was Torts system going to take us . . . But what exactly did Torts give us? Is that enough to be the best of thirty teams?
Erm, we were two games away from the Cup finals. That's where he took us. If this next coach can't get out of the first round, what will you be saying then?

The main problem was not with Torts. The main problem is with Sather. Your weak attempt to white wash Sather's failures this season is nauseating.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:04 AM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Peverley "impressive" Decent player, nothing more. Seguin has also been particularly unimpressive in the playoffs. As has Kelly.
I can say the same thing about our best forward.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Erm, we were two games away from the Cup finals. That's where he took us. If this next coach can't get out of the first round, what will you be saying then?

The main problem was not with Torts. The main problem is with Sather. Your weak attempt to white wash Sather's failures this season is nauseating.
We got close two years ago but our guys were running on fumes the whole playoff due to Torts' system and had to go 7 games against two inferior opponents. Winning two out of four rounds is not that close. It's halfway. Change in this case is good.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
We got close two years ago but our guys were running on fumes the whole playoff due to Torts' system and had to go 7 games against two inferior opponents. Winning two out of four rounds is not that close. It's halfway. Change in this case is good.
Winning two out of four rounds is absolutely close. Four teams do that. Two teams win 3.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Peverley "impressive" Decent player, nothing more. Seguin has also been particularly unimpressive in the playoffs. As has Kelly.
Peverley struggled mightily this year no doubt, but before this season, his production was very much at a an elite 3C/2C level.

2008-09: On pace for 54 pts in 82 GP
2009-10: On pace for 55 pts in 82 GP
2010-11: On pace for 41 pts in 82 GP
2011-12: On pace for 60 pts in 82 GP
2013: On pace for 31 pts in 82 GP

Not to mention his decent 2-way game.

Seguin has been unimpressive in the playoffs, but he is still a pretty impressive forward. He was the Bruins top producing forward last year and an All-Star player. I see a player with the talent, the brain and tools to stabilize himself as one of the most versatile players in the league. He was already a fixture for most of the year on probably the best 2-way line in the league with Marchand and Bergeron.

Kelly is a 4th line player, but was constantly one of the best role players for Ottawa for many seasons.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Peverley is a pretty nice player to have. His 2 way game is pretty nice and solid 2/3C like you said.

Seguin has skills and tools to be an elite player in the league. Love to watch him play.

Kelly is a perfect fit for any team on a line like that, he plays well in situations and roles given to him. Wow the world is ending I agree w. kershaw.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:45 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It became a fashionable thing to say that Torts never unleashed the offense. Well, Marian Gaborik and Ryan Callahan had their best seasons playing under Torts. Rick Nash was on a pace to have his best in years under Torts. Derick Brassard played some of the best hockey of his career under Torts (albeit in a limited sample).
yes, and yet we still had the worst power play in the league in those years, and a low GF rating...

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:57 PM
chosen

Quote:
How many forwards on the Rangers would you not trade for Seguin even up? For me, maybe Nash. That concludes my list.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

So apparently Dallas is interested in Torts. A more interesting spot would be Vancouver. Torts and the Sedins would be a match made in heaven.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

A more interesting question would be if Dallas hires Tortorella and Richards is bought out--does Richards still want to go back to Dallas?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 07:07 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
A more interesting question would be if Dallas hires Tortorella and Richards is bought out--does Richards still want to go back to Dallas?
Why not? Torts gave Richards way more ice time and chances this season than he deserved to pull out of his funk. And from Sather's comments after the firing, it sounds like the decision to make Richards a healthy scratch wasn't made by Torts.

Does Richards actually think he'll get more chances, and more playing time with any other coach or team in the league?

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:03 AM
kovazub94

[QUOTE=Ola;67278851]
What did Torts ask for after loosing to NJD? Better scorers. Bigger stars. There is a cap in this league.

No. Its impossible to see how that could be done. We need superstar scorers who are better than BR, Gabby and Nash offensively, but we still apparantly need to ice 12 forwards with the attitude of Brandon Prust.

Many are fast to point out that Slats is at fault too. Believe me, I am not the biggest Slats fan. But I am not even sure I agree with that. Loosing Prust stung, sure. But I think its BS to say that we didn't have depth last season. Our 4th line was definitely on par with most other teams' 4th line. We paid alot to get someone like Pyatt, he is what Torts wanted. Someone who got a ton of size along the walls and got decent skill. Not alot of skill, yes, but did Torts ask for skill? No. The mix of a Pyatt and Zucc costs you 7m per and a ton of assets. That player is not an option for a 3rd line in the NHL. You gotta choose between size or skill, Torts wanted size.[QUOTE]

Addressing bolded text:

1. Torts did not ask for bigger stars - he asked for more scoring depth.

2. The team did not need bigger superstars in terms of names. What needed was superstars and role players performing at their respective levels (or exceeding them). How is it Torts fault that roster that Sather put together would underperform (overall basis). We knew what Gabby could do in Torts system, we knew what Richards could do as well from his first year with the Rangers and were hoping for more with better players around him. Instead, for whatever reasons (not Torts, at least from an outsider perspective) both of these players fell flat on their faces creating different scoring depth issues that Nash's trade was supposed to fix.

3. Re. 4th line - again if we needed the 4th line that's on a par with the rest of the league - then we did just fine this season finishing in 5 - 8 group. However, if needed to get to top 1-2, then this is what should be the measuring stick for our 4th line. This is a roster issue so by default it should point to Sather . More, I hated that both 3rd and 4th lines had to be essentially completely rewamped (including underestimating the market for Prust and letting Mitchell leave for a reasonable $alary) but still no better than a year before. Worse - it caused a loss of continuity / need to rebuilt this link to know what your teammate is going to do in a situation where it must be done in a split second as a reaction instead of a thought.

4. Not sure what you mean by Pyatt and Zuke costing $7 m in cap space and what assets?

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
How many forwards on the Rangers would you not trade for Seguin even up? For me, maybe Nash. That concludes my list.
Same.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:16 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

On thing I really find humorous is people complaining about entertainment value. Legitimately I feel a solid percentage of people have this as their #1 gripe. You know what I find to be lacking in entertainment value? Watching teams that look like they're hung over from the night before. Watching teams who put in as much effort as Vince Young on the Wonderlic test. Nothing screams lack of entertainment value like not even setting the DVR for games in March and April because the Rangers are eliminated from playoff contention.

Both of those issues existed to various extents before Torts got here and improved in spades during his tenure. Look I'm not a sadist. I would love to watch a team that is top-10 in GF. I would love to watch a team that plays like Chicago, Pittsburgh, hell even the Islanders.

One thing, however that any of the system overhaul posters have not concretely addressed is, what SPECIFICALLY can the Rangers hope to achieve with new tactics? Ironically the best offensive season from a Ranger team in the last decade + was last season (11th in the league on scoring). Funny that stat gets glossed over. Guess the goals weren't pretty enough.

With a new coach, can we expect this roster to be top-10 in GF next year? Will a new coach make Stepan a consistent 80 pt player, Brassard a 60 pt + player? Zuke a 60 pt player? I have a tough time seeing Hagelin and Callahan improving too significantly. Will Kreider step up and score 50+ points? You'd need some combination of that to crack top-10 in GF. Possible, certainly with a better PP. Call me a cynic but I'm not completely sold.

Then there is that other pesky side of the puck. What SPECIFIC impact will system adjustments have on total GA? The Rangers are blessed to have the best goalie in the league no doubt. I have little doubt that even with 5 odd man rushes a night the Rangers could still finish top-10 in GA. Will they still be consistently top-5? What impact will not having collapsed wingers have on odd man opportunities down low and along the half boards? Will the dmen get exposed? I think you can't rule it out. And what impact will moving from 15 to 10 in GF and 5 to 10 in GA ultimately have on WINS? Oh I forgot some of you only care about entertainment...

One last thing that I never, and I mean never see addressed is the ice at MSG. Consistently voted the worst to bottom 3 in the league in player polls. Think that factored into the dump and chase gameplan? Think that's a reason why the Rangers had success with that strategy? I do. Not THE reason but A reason. Along with the roster...

I definitely get the sentiment that Torts abrasive ways may have worn stale. I would never mentor someone working for me like that, all or even the majority of the time. There are only so many times you can effectively press the hardass button and get results. I get that. But let's not piss all over the guys grave here. He did a lot more than most and the grass isn't always greener.

06-11-2013, 12:26 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
The Bruins have been successful without him making an impact.

I wouldn't trade Stepan/Nash for Seguin. Otherwise, yeah, I'd do it. I think he has a ton of talent, but I question his awareness on the ice.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 02:47 PM
94now

Torts should be fired last year for his interviews. Those were an embarrassment for NHL and I felt bad for the Rangers. If I had to feel bad for my team, that is a more than sufficient to fire the clown. Any clown. Successful or not.

Now, was Torts a problem? I am Torts hater. It is well documented in here. I am glad he is fired. Yet I do not think he was the problem. There was no problem. We had a team that could be what it was under anybody. This team could not compete for SC. Torts or not. Boston had a better defense, better offence and (stones are coming!!) a better goalie. Without Rask's performance Boston would be where it was last year.

People forgot (or are not old enough) the late 90-ies. Second round exit is okay with me. It is better than what we had 15 years ago. Hopefully we will see someone like Renney, but with more swagger (Ruff, AV) or any other not a dictatorial a-hole behind the bench. In that regard I am okay even with Sullivan.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:01 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Torts should be fired last year for his interviews. Those were an embarrassment for NHL and I felt bad for the Rangers. If I had to feel bad for my team, that is a more than sufficient to fire the clown. Any clown. Successful or not.

Now, was Torts a problem? I am Torts hater. It is well documented in here. I am glad he is fired. Yet I do not think he was the problem. There was no problem. We had a team that could be what it was under anybody. This team could not compete for SC. Torts or not. Boston had a better defense, better offence and (stones are coming!!) a better goalie. Without Rask's performance Boston would be where it was last year.

People forgot (or are not old enough) the late 90-ies. Second round exit is okay with me. It is better than what we had 15 years ago. Hopefully we will see someone like Renney, but with more swagger (Ruff, AV) or any other not a dictatorial a-hole behind the bench. In that regard I am okay even with Sullivan.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Chad Johnson would have saved us!

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
On thing I really find humorous is people complaining about entertainment value. Legitimately I feel a solid percentage of people have this as their #1 gripe. You know what I find to be lacking in entertainment value? Watching teams that look like they're hung over from the night before. Watching teams who put in as much effort as Vince Young on the Wonderlic test. Nothing screams lack of entertainment value like not even setting the DVR for games in March and April because the Rangers are eliminated from playoff contention.

Both of those issues existed to various extents before Torts got here and improved in spades during his tenure. Look I'm not a sadist. I would love to watch a team that is top-10 in GF. I would love to watch a team that plays like Chicago, Pittsburgh, hell even the Islanders.

One thing, however that any of the system overhaul posters have not concretely addressed is, what SPECIFICALLY can the Rangers hope to achieve with new tactics? Ironically the best offensive season from a Ranger team in the last decade + was last season (11th in the league on scoring). Funny that stat gets glossed over. Guess the goals weren't pretty enough.

With a new coach, can we expect this roster to be top-10 in GF next year? Will a new coach make Stepan a consistent 80 pt player, Brassard a 60 pt + player? Zuke a 60 pt player? I have a tough time seeing Hagelin and Callahan improving too significantly. Will Kreider step up and score 50+ points? You'd need some combination of that to crack top-10 in GF. Possible, certainly with a better PP. Call me a cynic but I'm not completely sold.

Then there is that other pesky side of the puck. What SPECIFIC impact will system adjustments have on total GA? The Rangers are blessed to have the best goalie in the league no doubt. I have little doubt that even with 5 odd man rushes a night the Rangers could still finish top-10 in GA. Will they still be consistently top-5? What impact will not having collapsed wingers have on odd man opportunities down low and along the half boards? Will the dmen get exposed? I think you can't rule it out. And what impact will moving from 15 to 10 in GF and 5 to 10 in GA ultimately have on WINS? Oh I forgot some of you only care about entertainment...

One last thing that I never, and I mean never see addressed is the ice at MSG. Consistently voted the worst to bottom 3 in the league in player polls. Think that factored into the dump and chase gameplan? Think that's a reason why the Rangers had success with that strategy? I do. Not THE reason but A reason. Along with the roster...

I definitely get the sentiment that Torts abrasive ways may have worn stale. I would never mentor someone working for me like that, all or even the majority of the time. There are only so many times you can effectively press the hardass button and get results. I get that. But let's not piss all over the guys grave here. He did a lot more than most and the grass isn't always greener.
There is nothing I can add to this except this is exactly how I feel.....

Every ranger fan that I have talked to has been celebrating and enthusiastic about the Tortorella firing.... I can't help but have a terrible uneasy feeling in my stomach.

At times the system was a bore to watch, I'll admit that but it will be a lot more boring if the rangers are eliminated by the last week of march which could definitely happen. I am not in love with any of the canidates that they have been interviewing. This team has come down to the final 8 and final 4 the past two years... ONLY 1 team wins the cup. all 29 losing teams are always going to be disappointed. I think people keep thinking its a given that the rangers will only go further with a new coach...... So many people are potentially setting themselves up for disappointment.

I wonder how many people were actually watching this team during the dark years? If people think this year was bad... it can be A LOT WORSE.

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Torts was part of the problem.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:23 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ramsay View Post
I wonder how many people were actually watching this team during the dark years? If people think this year was bad... it can be A LOT WORSE.
Not on this board. MOST were born in those years.

Torts simply exhosted his options. What Slats was supposed to do? Extend him for another 3 years in next Jan? Not to extend? You cannot have a lame duck coach.

Old
06-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Agreed. Besides McDonagh maybe Stepan, I'd move anyone on this roster for Seguin.

So only Stepan I guess, and even that's highly debatable.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:29 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Chad Johnson would have saved us!
He may be considered if (or when) King will walk away next summer. Or gets traded for Malkin prior.

Old
06-11-2013, 03:44 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Playing hard should never be criticized. Consider that that team was not supposed to be anywhere near that good and take into account that such a strict system was the only way that team could win.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote