HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian70 View Post
I will assume if Zykov or Mantha would be available at #25, you'd pick one of them. But how about Rychel? Morin? I'm just wondering how much of the fan base wants the organization to emphasize on grit.
Rychel and Morin are my 2 favorite guys would definitely take then if Mantha and Zykov are gone, it's not just to emphasize on grit it's to build a tough team to play against. We will never beat the bruins at the physical game but if we can be a complete team with skill, speed, grit and intensity we will be a hard bunch to beat. I think Rychel would fit in nice with guys like Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Subban as a core that hates losing more than they like winning

Old
06-11-2013, 04:31 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
I see the draft playing out a little like this:

Thoughts?
As far as consensus goes, that seems like as good a very reasonable guess. No real omissions jumping out of at me.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:37 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah I'm with you. I asked to have it explained to me a few pages (or threads) ago and it still didn't do much to move me. I think there's a serious Swede infatuation on this board, for some reason Roughly a billion of them got picked in the mock draft.

It's not that I dislike him, I just don't see where the excitement comes from. He seems like the kind of guy that does a lot of things pretty well and nothing great.
You'll see hoto, you'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
WeTHreeKings...is a poor judge of speed. You probably think driving 90 KM an hour
on the 401 (highway) is fast. Mike McCarron is big and SLOW. That's it that's all!
Dickinson is a better pick if we want size without losing speed...or try Gauthier.
I would consider McCarron at 55 or 71...no sooner than that.
Yup, I'm a poor judge of speed. Grant's a poor judge of speed, I mean the guy's only a professional scout, what would he know?
McCarron is big and a good skater for his size at his age. What do you expect of a big kid like that at his age? Tremendous agility, tight turns, figure-skating like edge work? He's got to get coordinated to his body and the fact that his skating is where it is at his age, is an encouraging sign. I'm not keen on taking McCarron in the first round but I would look at him in the 2nd round. Lucic isn't a road runner either, definitely wasn't in his draft year, but mechanical and technical issues with skating can be fixed with the right amount of work.
Dickinson is a great pick, if you've actually been reading, you'll know I am one of his biggest supporters. That being said, he gives up what, 3-4 inches up in height to McCarron? Of course his skating is going to be better and more refined.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Draft

Quote:

Thoughts?
Hard time seeing Lehkonen dropping to #48. Maybe I'm more interested than most. Great numbers, great hockey IQ, maybe not the most outstanding tools or the best size.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You'll see hoto, you'll see!

Yup, I'm a poor judge of speed. Grant's a poor judge of speed, I mean the guy's only a professional scout, what would he know?
McCarron is big and a good skater for his size at his age. What do you expect of a big kid like that at his age? Tremendous agility, tight turns, figure-skating like edge work? He's got to get coordinated to his body and the fact that his skating is where it is at his age, is an encouraging sign. I'm not keen on taking McCarron in the first round but I would look at him in the 2nd round. Lucic isn't a road runner either, definitely wasn't in his draft year, but mechanical and technical issues with skating can be fixed with the right amount of work.
Dickinson is a great pick, if you've actually been reading, you'll know I am one of his biggest supporters. That being said, he gives up what, 3-4 inches up in height to McCarron? Of course his skating is going to be better and more refined.
Very well put unless someone drops big time I think McCarron would be great for us. I haven't seen him play really a couple of online things the last few weeks I wanna know does he fight? Or more importantly can he fight when he has too? And what's his character like?

Old
06-11-2013, 04:43 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Very well put unless someone drops big time I think McCarron would be great for us. I haven't seen him play really a couple of online things the last few weeks I wanna know does he fight? Or more importantly can he fight when he has too? And what's his character like?
If you look back in the locked thread about the Habs mini combine, search posts by Grant McCagg and he mentions a lot about McCarron in the thread. You can get better info there than you would from me. Grant's likely seen him more and in more situations than any of us plus a better trained eye.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If you look back in the locked thread about the Habs mini combine, search posts by Grant McCagg and he mentions a lot about McCarron in the thread. You can get better info there than you would from me. Grant's likely seen him more and in more situations than any of us plus a better trained eye.
Thanks man

Old
06-11-2013, 04:46 PM
pcamp

I'd like Nick Baptiste at 55 ... or a goalie

Old
06-11-2013, 04:47 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
I'd like Nick Baptiste at 55 ... or a goalie
19 more days and our questions will have answers.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:51 PM
pcamp

Quote:
19 more days and our questions will have answers.
Cant wait... Until Montreal are real contenders, this is my favorite time of the year

Old
06-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Draft

Quote:
I questioned Grant about McCarron once, can't say I'll do it again It's tough to formulate an opinion when you've only watched McCarron online and you're arguing with a pro scout about it. Grant seems to have a lot of faith in him.

For what it's worth and from what I've seen, he's no speedster but he's an alright skater. He's definitely got room to improve as his technique isn't overly bad and we all know he may take a little longer to develop. Not a huge downside for him but something he could work on.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:59 PM
phillytennis

Quote:

1. Colorado - Nathan MacKinnon
2. Florida - Seth Jones
3. Tampa - Jonathan Drouin
4. Nashville - Aleksander Barkov
5. Carolina - Darnell Nurse
6. Calgary - Sean Monahan
7. Edmonton - Elias Lindholm
8. Buffalo - Valeri Nichushkin
9. New Jersey - Hunter Shinkaruk
10 Dallas - Bo Horvat
11. Philadelphia - Rasmus Ristolainen
12. Phoenix - Alexander Wennberg
13. Winnipeg - Nikita Zadorov
14. Columbus - Max Domi
15. Islanders - Curtis Lazar
16. Buffalo - Ryan Pulock
17. Ottawa - Anthony Mantha
18. Detroit - Valentin Zykov
19. Columbus - Josh Morrissey
20. Toronto - Frederik Gauthier
21. San Jose - Andre Burakovsky
22. Calgary - Samuel Morin
23. Washington - Kerby Rychel
24. Vancouver - Adam Erne
25. Montreal - Ryan Hartman
26. Anaheim - JT Compher
27. Columbus - Morgan Klimchuk
28. Calgary - Zach Fucale
29. Dallas - Madison Bowey
30. Chicago - Robert Hagg
----------------------------------
31. Florida - Mirco Muller
32. Colorado - Steve Santini
33. Tampa - Nic Petan
34. Montreal - Ian McCoshen
35. Carolina - Michael McCarron
36. Montreal - Jacob De La Rose
37. Edmonton - Chris Bigras
38. Buffalo - Tom Vanelli
39. New Jersey - Laurent Dauphin
40. Dallas - Pavel Buchnevich
41. Philadelphia - Dillon Heatherington
42. Phoenix - Jason Dickinson
43. Winnipeg - Shea Theodore
44. Columbus - Emile Poirier
45. Anaheim - Connor Hurley
46. Minnesota - Jimmy Lodge
47. St. Louis - William Carrier
48. Detroit - Arturri Lekhonen
49. San Jose - Keaton Thompson
50. San Jose - Marko Dano
51. Toronto - Tristan Jarry
52. Buffalo - Oliver Bjokstrand
53. Washington - Justin Bailey
54. Dallas - Zach Nastasiuk
55. Montreal - Marc-Olivier Roy
56. Edmonton - Eric Comrie
57. Los Angeles - Nick Sorensen
58. San Jose - Anthony Duclair
59. Winnipeg - Brett Pesce
60. Boston - Eric Roy
61. Winnipeg - Adam Tambellini

Thoughts?
This year, the talent pool in the Q is strong...we should pick a Dauphin or Poirier at 36 before considering De LaRose.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:05 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I can back this up, he does in fact have both hands.
Haha my bad.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
This year, the talent pool in the Q is strong...we should pick a Dauphin or Poirier at 36 before considering De LaRose.
As long as were able to land a couple of big talented LW. Our pool is thin on the left. If we can get some sliders or later gems, that would work great for me. Bottom line, looking forward to the 30th

Old
06-11-2013, 05:07 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
I would be happier with de la Rose or Dickinson over both Q guys.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:17 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
I would be happier with de la Rose or Dickinson over both Q guys.
Dauphin was the player of the game at the Cherry/Orr prospects game. He was also instrumental in Canada winning the U-18 gold medal. Regarding Émile Poirier, I would suggest you Watch the You Tube feature on him...good size...blazing speed...good hands, tenacious player.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:21 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Dauphin was the player of the game at the Cherry/Orr prospects game. He was also instrumental in Canada winning the U-18 gold medal. Regarding Émile Poirier, I would suggest you Watch the You Tube feature on him...good size...blazing speed...good hands, tenacious player.
I have seen both play. I know Dauphin was player of the game...one game doesnt mean much although its always a good thing.

What does Poirier do that De la Rose doesnt? JDLR has more size, better hands, more grit and is a safer bet. He is an even better Poirier other than the fact that Poirier is from the Q.

Dauphin is different player all together.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:27 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
I have seen both play. I know Dauphin was player of the game...one game doesnt mean much although its always a good thing.

What does Poirier do that De la Rose doesnt? JDLR has more size, better hands, more grit and is a safer bet. He is an even better Poirier other than the fact that Poirier is from the Q.

Dauphin is different player all together.
I've also seen all three players play. De la Rose...good...Dauphin + Poirier are better!!!
De la Rose...doesn't have better hands than Poirier...he is certainly slower than Poirier...equally aggressive. I would choose Poirier...easily.
Regarding Dauphin...he has shown that he brings his A game...he outperformed other players placed in the same situation during the Prospects game and the -18 tournament.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Just checking the habs site I see they have interviews with Horvat, Fucale, Rychel, and Dauphin,

Old
06-11-2013, 05:40 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Also from Joyce's twitter, some interesting words about Jones:

Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 1h
#NHL #draft cont. On S Jones, sr scout sez: "Don't see hockey sense, not even bit of edge, wonder about attitude, v avg interview @ combine"

Gare Joyce Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 1h
Spoke to 3 sr scouts Mon., none w Seth Jones @ #1, 2 don't have SJ @ #2 & one has him #4 behind Barkov ("not sold on him, see Erik Johnson")
He would come out 4-6th in my list too(driven by need). I'm not super impressed.

Mckinnon
Lindholm
Barkov

Nichus
Drouin
Jones

Old
06-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Looking back at the 2006 draft I find it brutal how close we were to stars... We chose Fischer at 20... Giroux was taken 2 picks later and we chose Maxwell at 49 when Lucic was taken the very next pick... With a draft this deep I hope we can get the gems we are due for them

Old
06-11-2013, 05:45 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
I've also seen all three players play. De la Rose...good...Dauphin + Poirier are better!!!
De la Rose...doesn't have better hands than Poirier...he is certainly slower than Poirier...equally aggressive. I would choose Poirier...easily.
Regarding Dauphin...he has shown that he brings his A game...he outperformed other players placed in the same situation during the Prospects game and the -18 tournament.
Speed: Poirier slightly
Hands: Lets say equal
Grit: De La Rose
Board Play: De La Rose
Defensive Play: De La Rose
Shot: Equal
Vision: Equal

I go De La Rose over Poirier. I have no doubt that he will become a more important player to his team than Poirier. JDLR is a sure thing with potential to be a power forward type with his size, puck protaction and grit.

Dauphin I like. Just different players and we need a De La Rose more than a Dauphin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfFqSYiktrE Watch this.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Looking back at the 2006 draft I find it brutal how close we were to stars... We chose Fischer at 20... Giroux was taken 2 picks later and we chose Maxwell at 49 when Lucic was taken the very next pick... With a draft this deep I hope we can get the gems we are due for them
Just like every other team looks at the 2007 draft and sees Montreal drafted three of the top 10 players when all was said and done?

Old
06-11-2013, 05:47 PM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
interesting article about how super agents like Pat Brisson are better at finding talent than nhl scouts

http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blogu...pes-de-la-lnh/

Based on their client list, the Habs should be targetting these players
  • Seth Jones
  • Nathan MacKinnon
  • Anthony Mantha
  • Max Domi
  • Curtis Lazar
  • Samuel Morin
  • Ian McCoshen
  • Morgan Klimchuk
  • John Hayden
  • Dillon Heatherington
  • Justin Bailey
  • Connor Hurley

Old
06-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Treb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow View Post
interesting article about how super agents like Pat Brisson are better at finding talent than nhl scouts

http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blogu...pes-de-la-lnh/

Based on their client list, the Habs should be targetting these players
  • Seth Jones
  • Nathan MacKinnon
  • Anthony Mantha
  • Max Domi
  • Curtis Lazar
  • Samuel Morin
  • Ian McCoshen
  • Morgan Klimchuk
  • John Hayden
  • Dillon Heatherington