HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niinima, deserved a thread tonight.

Old
10-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Rahan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabFan1084 View Post
Hey guys,

Drove down to Philly cause its not that bad of a trip from my apt in the New York..

My brother hooked me and some buddies up with some good seats and the game was a good one.

Abby played a solid game, and its a good problem to have with Huet and Abby contributing nicely between the pipes. Does Carbo ride the hot goalie or will he keep shifting it up? That remains to be seen...

Ninnima (too lazy to spell check) played a very strong game...made the right plays, kept it simple, good break out passes, etc...played very well.

Downey layed well when he was out there,throwing his weight around and making his prescence felt.

Dandy played a good game, nice to see him join the rush and make things happen.

Kovalevs goal was a great shot, and his hands are unmatched.

1st line was good, and created a good tempo by scoring early. seems to be a good thing when the habs score early.

I like Johnsons game...seems to adapt to what style is being played..If its a finesse game then he can play it, and its a more physical grind-type game then he can do it too...Solid solid third liner...

Saw Chris after the game for a few minutes...Seemed in good spirits and excited for the home opener.

Ill be there on Saturday...wearing my #21 Higgins T shirt. say hello if ya see me.

Take care,

Kev
Hey Kev,
Thanks for the report. I agree with everything you said, and I just LOVE Johnson's play too. He's such an underrated player. As for your brother, hopefully he won't be too nervous saturday and score a goal or two for us! He's easily the second best player on the habs behind our god Koivu, and he's got as much heart.
And he looks like he's having fun out there, which is great to see.

Have fun in Montreal!

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 09:13 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD View Post
Janne's doing a pretty good job so far. It won't be easy for Carbo to sit one of the D when Bouillon's back.

I know I'll be crucified for that, but IMO, Souray is the less impressing on the D-squad so far...
I agree with you. I actually feel safer with the Dandenault-Niinimaa pairing than with the Rivet-Souray pairing. Anytime these two are on the ice, I cringe a bit inwardly. Rivet has not been that bad... its Souray that's horrible.

Is that me or we are starting to see Niinimaa more and more (PP and SH?). I saw a Rivet-Niinimaa and a Souray-Dandenault (or was it Souray-Niinimaa and Rivet-Dandenault?) pairing for a few shifts and I liked it very much.

Hopefully Carbo can spread things up a bit and add a bit of mobility to our senior defensemen... giving us a more stable bottom two pairing.

As far as Higgins go, what can we say? He's getting rave reviews from everywhere in montreal! It seems NHL scouts around the league are talking about him. Word is spreading around and he's spreading quite a name for himself!

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 09:55 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I didn't like him tonight.. I saw all the heat in favor of him on these boards, watched canadiens express carefully.. and no he didn't look good at all. Bonk was nothing to talk about neither, a few nice plays ..
what??? He played verry solid game and gave good puck support to Dandenault in the defensive zone. He definetly played like a top 4 D last night no doubt in my mind. I guess I might have to make a littel montage of his plays...if I have the time and patience.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Janne's doing a pretty good job so far. It won't be easy for Carbo to sit one of the D when Bouillon's back.

I know I'll be crucified for that, but IMO, Souray is the less impressing on the D-squad so far...
Souray played like a really good game yesterday, especially on the pp with Markov, when he blocked that shot in mid-air.... his ownly problem is when he's 1 on 1, but he looked more confident yesterday then his 2 first games that's for sure

I knew it was way too fast to call Niniima washed up when the guy's only 31 years old, look at Chelios or Schnieder or Neidermayer, imo he can become the D he was with Edmonton, if he plays the next games like he did yesterday, he is the D he was with Edmonton

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Duster

I really liked Niinimaa's play, all things considered. He played a physical game, made good outlet passes and you can see he has good offensive instincts. He's still a little hesitant at times, imo, but I suspect he will show more confidence as he becomes more familiar with the team. I'm still not convinced Dandy is a good partner for him but, then again, it may be just a question of adaptation.

A good indication of how he fits will be against a fast skilled team like Ottawa. I don't see Spezza using him as a pylon.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
what??? He played verry solid game and gave good puck support to Dandenault in the defensive zone. He definetly played like a top 4 D last night no doubt in my mind. I guess I might have to make a littel montage of his plays...if I have the time and patience.
I've watched the game twice.. nothing great, really.. he's slower than the other guys, he has trouble clearing the puck and is pretty useless on the PP. Not saying he played bad, but I wouldn't say he was such a factor in last night's game.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:42 AM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
I agree with you. I actually feel safer with the Dandenault-Niinimaa pairing than with the Rivet-Souray pairing. Anytime these two are on the ice, I cringe a bit inwardly. Rivet has not been that bad... its Souray that's horrible.

Is that me or we are starting to see Niinimaa more and more (PP and SH?). I saw a Rivet-Niinimaa and a Souray-Dandenault (or was it Souray-Niinimaa and Rivet-Dandenault?) pairing for a few shifts and I liked it very much.
I agree completely with the Souray-Rivet thing. Rivet has been fine this year, he's strong along the boards, in the corners and in front of the net. On the Philly goal, Rivet had to contend with two Philly players down low, Umberger and, I think Richards, while Souray went for a skate. Umberger was allowed to put the puck into an empty net. Souray has been inconsistent and for a 6-foot-four 235 pound defenceman not very noticeable for the Habs except on the PP. I think he'll improve as the season goes on, he did last year, but right now, Souray's probably our most inconsistent defencemen.

Niinimaa has been killing penalties and is getting time on the second PP unit. His work on the penalty-kill was terrific last night. He's alot stronger and agressive on the boards than I thought he would be, but he's a little slow on his decision making at times, he just hangs on to the puck too long. He and Dandy got trapped in their end for long periods of time against the Flyers especially when our 4th line was on the ice.

However, overall he's much better than advertised and is a very good third pairing defenceman. I don't see him climbing into a top four spot though.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:

I agree with that. If you take away his PP slapper production, Souray is overall a very ordinary 5th-6th defenceman.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
IMO Niinimaa is only going to get better.Wait until he plays at the Bell Centre and see's the support we give to our Habs how he will even more elivate his game

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:56 PM
-_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
Nobody is replacing Rivet.
i agree.... Rivet isn't playing his best hockey lately but the guy has earned his spot and he's a very important piece of our puzzle... he really is a leader in this team....

-_- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:07 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS

i pass forth a motion that from this day forth Janne Niinima be know as....

Janne "Backhand" Niinima

also with this new name, we should have a counter for each game on how many backhand passes Janne makes

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:54 PM
phil666

Quote:

Souray? lol... Try Rivet maybe.

He's always running after the puck, i'm not sure the love he's been getting since last year, he is okay but he never has been outstanding, NEVER. This guy is seriously getting overrated around here and has about as much brain cramp as Souray without bringing much offensively. Rivet is a third pairing dman no more. Dandenault does a better job then him.

phil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:56 PM
fatmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I didn't like him tonight.. I saw all the heat in favor of him on these boards, watched canadiens express carefully.. and no he didn't look good at all. Bonk was nothing to talk about neither, a few nice plays ..

You can't have a good objective idea of the game if you watch CH express since they are only showing the "exciting offensive moments" of it, then, all the defensive plays, hence bonk & Ninniimaa, won't be displayed, don't forget that we didn't saw too much Flyers offensive moment, suggesting that the defensive players did a great job to cover Forsberg, Gagné & cie

Speaking of canadiens express, did you notice that they haven't change the numbers in their short cut and we keep seeing Ribeiro's 71, Théodore's 60 and Zednick's 20 (okay, we now have Johnson who wear's it) but we should see Plekanec's 35 and Sammy's 15

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 05:57 PM
redhothabs

Hey guys, 1st period was f- great!!!!
I love my habs!
Anyways, can't wait for saturday night, I'll be at the game in Desjardins section...free food...ummmm so good! Where r u guys sitting? and are you going out somewhere special after the game???

redhothabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 08:54 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hey

Another 19 minutes for 62 in three games. No giveaways last nite with 3 total in 3 games. He was Even last nite to remain +1.

So what is there to complain about. He's never been an offensive power. Just glad to see the good D

So far Komi gets my vote as the best D man for the Habs

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I think Niinnima could put a good 30-40pts a season if all goes well. our defense hasnt look so steady in a long long time... now if we can just have a little more support on offense and a more focused game (no huge laps of errors and penalties) we gonna be for a nice ride this season.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Habbadasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
You sir are absolutely correct. Replace a guy that missed 2 games in the last six years? The most reliable work force on our team? No, sir, Niinimaa will remain #7 for now where he belongs.
Guy, you do know that he is getting top 4 minutes right?

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:54 PM
AlexeiKovalev27

So far Janne is doing very good. He is faster compared to Souray and rivs so when he makes an mistake, we can pray and hope he repairs his error. When it's the 2 others, you just stay there, close your eyes and pray.

He just needs to work on his shot.

AlexeiKovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Sthabs

I think Dandenault have been very reliable so far 2.

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 05:29 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Guy, you do know that he is getting top 4 minutes right?
Actually Niinimaa is leading Habs in even strenght ice-time already - he must be doing well in Carbo's mind. When he gets incorporated deeper into Habs special teams his minutes will keep increasing. He seems to be coming around quite nicely, even if hes been playing road games with mostly strange faces.

Infact if he reacts well to Montreal crowd, I'm suspecting he will become our number two defenceman in few weeks. Best combination of skating, shot blocking, hitting, passing and shot IMO, not just specializing on one or two of these attributes like our other defencemen.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 06:04 AM
Mokoma

It's good to hear that Janne is finally getting is act together. He has had pretty hard time lately. Starting with solid defensive play is the only way to go for him. He needs to get his confidence back by playing smart and safe in the defensive end avoiding errors. After that he can start thinking about the offence.

I still think the talent is there but he just needs to start believing in himself again.

Mokoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Toro

[QUOTE=CaptCrunch;6734831]I agree with you. I actually feel safer with the Dandenault-Niinimaa pairing than with the Rivet-Souray pairing. Anytime these two are on the ice, I cringe a bit inwardly. Rivet has not been that bad... its Souray that's horrible.

[QUOTE]

I think that when Rivet is paired with Souray they both are like 2 left hands trying to work together. They are both almost the same player except souray has a CANNON and is a bit bigger and meaner. they need to be seperated. Souray with Dandenneault and Rivet and Ninnimma is a much better balance. I think we will be seeing something like this from now on. Carbo sees it too....

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 08:30 AM
MalcomOdd

6th defenseman?

We have seen a little of Niinimaa so far, he played PK, PP and a regular shift. This is a 6th defenseman?
If he stays healthy we may be very glad that he is around and may not look so bad when Markov will get injured.

MalcomOdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 10:00 AM
turnbuckle*

So far Dandy and Niinimaa have ben the team' top pairing and Komo has been the best defenceman IMO. If the "big three" can step up their play a bit and the other three keep playing as well as they are, the Habs have one of the top defences in the east contrary to many experts' opinions.

The trade is lookiong better every day.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 10:57 AM
expos4ever

Niini-maadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
...Still early, but I predict that when the "ballots are all in and counted" Habs will have won this trade by a rather large margin...

first of all, "the ballots" won't be counted until AFTER Mr. Ribeiro retires - that is, we can't value the trade on the performance during a single season when the traded players have 5 years age difference (Ribs ~26, Niini ~31)! There's a long way to go yet... Who knows, Ribs could still blossom!

Also, Niinimaa has had some major repairs on his ankle this summer (a lot of hardware needed) - that is probably part of the reason he was available. This was a calculated risk that could go either way for Gainey.

vis-a-vis his ice time... this is a veteran ex all-star player. He should get top 4 ice-time if he plays at least reasonably well.

expos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote