HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rds

Old
10-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Brisebois

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Rds

Hi guys. Haven't been around awhile, but that's what getting married and having a daughter does to you.

I would like to get a TV *gasp* but only to watch games on RDS. What is the best way to do this? Do I HAVE to get cable? Can I somehow sign up for only RDS?

Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 09:58 AM
johnnyboo

Question?

Is RDS broadcast in HD

johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
yes, october 2009 for home games

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:04 AM
oop007*

Go with illico, in the long run u won't regret. ExpressVu I think is dieing out. Why use satelite which goes down under snow storms (most of the hockey season takes place when weather is crap). Cable stays up 99.9% of the time.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Samsonov View Post
yes, october 2009 for home games
Isn't it October 2007?

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Gros Bill

Welcome back, rabbi, long time no see. Me too, my only reason to get cable was to get RDS to watch the Habs. Worth every penny for me. But I live in the country. I'll let others more knowledgeable posters fill you in. Just wanted to say hi.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
Go with illico, in the long run u won't regret. ExpressVu I think is dieing out. Why use satelite which goes down under snow storms (most of the hockey season takes place when weather is crap). Cable stays up 99.9% of the time.
I love misinformation.

I lose my signal due to storm activity for about 10-20 minutes a year. How long does it take to fix a broken cable, again?

Oh, and I'm on Starchoice, by the way.

Old
10-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Montrealer

And to answer the original poster's question, you've got a lot of options.

Cable
Bell ExpressVu
Starchoice

Since I have Starchoice, I can tell you that you can get a French language basic collection of channels for pretty cheap, and that includes RDS.

Or you can get bilingual basic for pretty cheap, and that includes RDS.

Or you can be a lunatic like me and have the bilingual titanitum plus package, and then complain that you have hundreds of channels but can't find anything to watch from time to time. And that includes RDS.

Plus, starchoice is easier to *ahem* share.

Old
10-12-2006, 10:11 AM
!nkubus

Quote:
Well I lost about 2 minutes of tv last year and i've listen to all games without any issues at all, and the 2 minutes were caused by a big amount of sticky snow (30 cm) on my sat , I cleened up and it was fine.

I'm on Expressvue and never had big issue, loosing signal is not an issue anymore.

========================

If you just want 1 channel more without buying a full package your choice is Illico, Star choice and Expressvue.

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:12 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
I love misinformation.

I lose my signal due to storm activity for about 10-20 minutes a year. How long does it take to fix a broken cable, again?

I'm on Star Choice as well but I don't recommend it. Only in the last year, I've lost the signal over 15-20 times and each time it was for more than 20 minutes... I guess it really depends on where you live.

For the cable thing Rabbi, I think y'have to get it. RDS is on the cable, so you obviously don't have any choices but to pay for it. Unless you have a cool neighbor that also happens to watch every game.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Guy Germaine

you don't need sattelite to get RDS, just regular videotron cable.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:14 AM
!nkubus

Quote:
Isn't it October 2007?
I've also seen October 2007.

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD View Post
I'm on Star Choice as well but I don't recommend it. Only in the last year, I've lost the signal over 15-20 times and each time it was for more than 20 minutes... I guess it really depends on where you live.
Actually, that's a sign your dish is off a bit. I have a ghetto arrangement (due to being in an apartment building) that I created myself involving a large metal pole encased in a cement block, but it tends to move about once a season... takes me 2 minutes to fix.

One that's mounted properly might move, but it's a lot more rare. Still, I'd check my signal levels if I were you. If you're in the 50-65 range, you might want to adjust your dish a few millimeters to get it back into the high 70s/80s; you'll stop losing the signal so often.

Old
10-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois View Post
Hi guys. Haven't been around awhile, but that's what getting married and having a daughter does to you.

I would like to get a TV *gasp* but only to watch games on RDS. What is the best way to do this? Do I HAVE to get cable? Can I somehow sign up for only RDS?
That's no excuse for your lack of posting!!!!!

.....getting married takes, like one day, and unless I'm completely screwed up on the whole thing, didn't your wife have the baby.

I'll let you off with a warning this time.

10-12-2006, 10:29 AM
IcE ColD

Quote:
Actually, that's a sign your dish is off a bit. I have a ghetto arrangement (due to being in an apartment building) that I created myself involving a large metal pole encased in a cement block, but it tends to move about once a season... takes me 2 minutes to fix.

One that's mounted properly might move, but it's a lot more rare. Still, I'd check my signal levels if I were you. If you're in the 50-65 range, you might want to adjust your dish a few millimeters to get it back into the high 70s/80s; you'll stop losing the signal so often.
Well, I thought that the Star Choice technician that came last year fixed that. I'll try to take a look before winter come, I sure don't want that kind of thing to happen during a game... thanx for the tip.

Old
10-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
That's no excuse for your lack of posting!!!!!

.....getting married takes, like one day, and unless I'm completely screwed up on the whole thing, didn't your wife have the baby.

I'll let you off with a warning this time.

On principle we do not have internet at home, otherwise I wouldn't recognize my wife, and probably use my daughter as a potato chip stand.

So I write now from a cold room in the basement. Maybe I should go put some clothes on.

Lafleur used to live in a cold room in my basement!

Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:02 PM
oop007*

Quote:
I love misinformation.

Yeah but trust me, I've had bell expressvu for years, it goes down frequently during **** weather (have had it at 2 different houses, the new place goes down less, prolly cuz it's top floor of a condo now as aposed to a house deep within residential + trees.

Old
10-12-2006, 12:07 PM
oop007*

Btw Montrealer, saying misinformation is kind of harsh. Different people different location different problems. In my experiences, Cable INTERNET goes down more-so then DSL, but not so much these days. Cable TV has never gone down for me unless i had... "shared"

I had expressvu at my old house in beaconsfield... it went down all the time.. in DDO it never goes down but bell ****ed up hardcore and we've been waiting over 4 weeks for a replacement PVR. (Wasn't going to mention this though because out of all 3, the customer service is **** from each company).

Fact is how often does a cable wire break? never?

I don't fiddle with my wires constantly. Also the satelite wire is basically the same, just different boxes and one goes into the ground, the other goes into the satelite dish.

If my dish would go down due to weather, sometimes it would be minutes... sometimes it'd be the next day before I'd get it back.

Cable I had like a 5 min glitch once where some of my channels had audio but no video. (I'm not on illico though).

Old
10-12-2006, 12:22 PM
IcE ColD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois View Post
On principle we do not have internet at home, otherwise I wouldn't recognize my wife, and probably use my daughter as a potato chip stand.

So I write now from a cold room in the basement. Maybe I should go put some clothes on.

Lafleur used to live in a cold room in my basement!

You set him free? We thought for a while that you were living in his basement...

Old
10-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Ryan O'Byrne

vCash: 1169
I have starchoice and mine only go's down when there's a really bad rain/freezing rain storm .If it starts acting up during a sticky snow/ heavy snow storm I just clean the dish and it works fine. It takes a lot of snow to knock out my signal ,and I have only 65-70 signal strength because of tree’s.

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:29 PM
znk

Quote:
I love misinformation.

Well my parents lose Signal for hours a year...especialy in dense cloud cover with snow.
Cable has not went down for me in years.

But satelite is not dying out. And people seem to think signal quality is better...but I couldnt say.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:32 PM
BoNeS42

You need to get cable..

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
Btw Montrealer, saying misinformation is kind of harsh. Different people different location different problems. In my experiences, Cable INTERNET goes down more-so then DSL, but not so much these days. Cable TV has never gone down for me unless i had... "shared"

I had expressvu at my old house in beaconsfield... it went down all the time.. in DDO it never goes down but bell ****ed up hardcore and we've been waiting over 4 weeks for a replacement PVR. (Wasn't going to mention this though because out of all 3, the customer service is **** from each company).
Maybe I was a bit harsh.... though the fact you're ok in DDO but had problems in Beaconsfield points more to a dish problem. I agree that especially when the satellite companies send one of their local contractors out this should fix the problem (or avoid it from happening in the first place) but some of the contractors know less about satellite dish installation than I do, and I'm an amateur.

That being said, I got Videotron illico when I first moved into my apartment, and the cable installer from Videotron decided the best way to get the cable from the outlet to my TV was to staple it two feet off the ground all along the wall... I was out of the room, came in, and said "W-T-you know what"...

Quote:
Fact is how often does a cable wire break? never?
Not often, true... but twice during the two years I had it (once a tree fell, the other high winds)

Quote:
I don't fiddle with my wires constantly. Also the satelite wire is basically the same, just different boxes and one goes into the ground, the other goes into the satelite dish.

If my dish would go down due to weather, sometimes it would be minutes... sometimes it'd be the next day before I'd get it back.

Cable I had like a 5 min glitch once where some of my channels had audio but no video. (I'm not on illico though).
True enough, experiences will be different for everyone on different platforms. I like satellite simply because I feel like I can control most of the factors determining whether I get a signal, whereas with Videotron I was helpless while they fixed the problem (and their customer service screwed me over, but that's another story)

Old
10-12-2006, 01:07 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I have expressvu with RDS and it went down one last year for about 30 minutes. I live in Ottawa nd we get some crazy weather around here!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Pascal

if it's JUST for rds then regular cable will do just fine.. it's cheaper.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote