HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offense or goaltending?

View Poll Results: Which would you like to see upgraded
Offense 29 96.67%
Goaltending 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Quick let up some bad goals as well in the series or the goals we should have scored we didn't convert. If we scored 1 more goal a game we could have won.

I could care less about having Halak on our roster next season. I am perfectly comfortable with Elliott and Allen going in to next season.

I really don't understand the Miller obsession he hasn't been a great goalie in years. He may be an upgrade over what we have but even that is not a sure thing. Look at a team like the Rangers who have the best goalie in the league. He has yet to be a difference maker for the NYR to win the cup or even make the finals.

I just don't think we should waste any assets to get Miller as he's not the difference maker we need.
Eh I don't really agree with this. Miller has played at the same level for years, however the team in grit of him has been brutal, even when making the playoffs. Miller gets flack because of his attitude because he's like Lundqvist, a great goalie on a mediocre team. And if you don't think Lundqvist has been a difference maker in the playoffs for the Rangers I'm gonna have to say you don't actually watch their games. Lundqvist keeps the Rangers a good team but they just can't score.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Yeah, I mostly agree. If we could get help up front, I'd be comfortable enough with Elliott/Allen. I would take Miller though if we could get him for something like Halak+Russell which would make us a better team. But no way do I give up a lot for him.

I think Quick is the best goalie in the league though. Guy is unreal in the playoffs. Lundqvist is good but like you said I just haven't seen that kind of play from him when it counts.

Right, it's not possible to trade for a Quick, that was just more of me wishing that one day we will have that kind of franchise goalie that we have gone so long without...Of course, your best chances are developing one, so let's cross our fingers that Jake Allen has a bright future.
Allen has the tools, lets just hope he has the mental game.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:52 AM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Eh I don't really agree with this. Miller has played at the same level for years, however the team in grit of him has been brutal, even when making the playoffs. Miller gets flack because of his attitude because he's like Lundqvist, a great goalie on a mediocre team. And if you don't think Lundqvist has been a difference maker in the playoffs for the Rangers I'm gonna have to say you don't actually watch their games. Lundqvist keeps the Rangers a good team but they just can't score.
But that's the point, if you can't score, an elite goalie is't going to help you in that regard, hence the need for more offense, not goaltending. Ryan Miller won't help the Blues score more.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:47 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
But that's the point, if you can't score, an elite goalie is't going to help you in that regard, hence the need for more offense, not goaltending. Ryan Miller won't help the Blues score more.
I think folks talking about a change at goalie are looking at the regular season performance, too, not simply the playoff performance. I have no complaint about Elliott's post-season play. I think he did his job and played well enough to win the series. The offense let the team down, or you can give credit to LA for coming up with the saves. It sure felt like the Blues should have generated about 3 more goals, which would have been the difference in the series, based on the types of chances they generated and shots they had looks at.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:34 AM
KingKopitar11*

Offense, you guys need that goal scoring touch. I think goaltending can wait solely because you have the best current defensive squad as of right now so I think it can work. You guys have an awesome team and with better offensive talent you guys will be so much more lethal. Great roster, just need to make some trades and get that top end talent to pot those Goals in.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Grimlore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Offense, you guys need that goal scoring touch. I think goaltending can wait solely because you have the best current defensive squad as of right now so I think it can work. You guys have an awesome team and with better offensive talent you guys will be so much more lethal. Great roster, just need to make some trades and get that top end talent to pot those Goals in.
Good post, thank you.

Honestly, look at the LA / CHI series. CHI could actually score, and the elite J.Quick who robbed the Blues couldn't lead his team to the SCF.

We have a good system, great defensive core and above average goaltending already. We need an offensive player who can score/setup clutch goals if we are going to go anywhere.

Grimlore is offline   Reply With Quote