HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 11:48 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

vCash: 500
Nothing compares to the 2007-08 one though...Tremblay, Bailey, Gallant, Yeomans, Henderson, Aldred I think...I'm sure there were a couple more as well.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:56 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
If Duffy commits it may be a big mistake for him. He has talent for sure, but does not have the "work ethic" demanded by Gardiner. I'm not knocking Ben; just stating the obvious. There is a very good reason that he didn`t get a peek in his draft year. He may end up charting face-offs. Plus, he`ll be playing behind Culligan and perhaps Braes as a center. I can`t see him playing the wing because of the work ethic thingy. He`s just not physical. I would sooner see him at Acadia where he could be a top center on a team that is `a bit less demanding` ( with all due respect for the Acadia coaching staff ) and not as deep. If he does go to UNB, I hope he succeeds, not for your sake but for his.
I agree that if a player doesn't commit to Gardiner's systems and expectations, he's gonna ride the pine (see Wudrick, Geordie). On the other hand, those that find Hockey-Jesus and adapt will improve their game, get more ice time, and find themselves more employable in minor pro hockey afterwards. The opportunity is there, as MacDougall has no qualms moving a guy in or out of the line-up, or up and down in the depth charts if he thinks it will improve the chances of UNB winning (see Campbell, Dion).

If a guy like Duffy doesn't want to make that commitment, then I agree that another team might be better for him.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:44 PM
rethinking

I think UNB fans will be thrilled if this year's recruiting class is as good as either of the ones mentioned!

Old
06-11-2013, 06:16 PM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Nothing compares to the 2007-08 one though...Tremblay, Bailey, Gallant, Yeomans, Henderson, Aldred I think...I'm sure there were a couple more as well.
I agree. I believe they also added Seymour that year as well.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:56 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

So here is how the roster looks right now (feel free to make any corrections that I may have missed/do not know about):

CONFIRMED NOT RETURNING (8)

Pridham (eligibility)
Swan (eligibility)
Campbell (eligibility)
Denny (eligibility)
Fullerton (eligibility)
LaCosta (eligibility)
Lynes (injury)
Todd (pro)

UNKNOWN (3)

Kidd
Fillier
Wright

RETURNING (13)

Desnoyers
Priamo
Houde-Caron
Braes
McNeil
MacDougall
Critchlow
Robertson
Carroll
Shutron
Salituro
Culligan
Nesbitt

NEW RECRUITS (7)

Mike Thomas
Charles Lavigne
Dylan Willick
Cam Maclise
Ben Duffy ?? (possible pro offfer)
Jordan Murray ?? (yet to be confirmed by team)
Brandon Hynes ?? (no confirmation, rumour only)

- So by my count they have 13 guys that are almost certain to come back, with up to 7 possible recruits....giving them 20 roster players (19 skaters) at the moment....meaning there are still 3 skater spots to fill and the back-up goalie spot. Now if Kidd/Wright/Fillier all come back (which is probably unlikely) that gives them 22 skaters, right at the cap.

- They only have 4 defencemen that are most likely coming back (Shutron/Robertson/Priamo/Desnoyers)...with Murray committed. So assuming Wright and Kidd are done they probably need to add at the minimum two more guys on the back end. If both Wright and Kidd do come back they would have 7, but it still might not be a bad idea to add an Aldred/Hepditch/Todd type who can play both F and D.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 06-11-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old
06-11-2013, 07:10 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
So here is how the roster looks right now (feel free to make any corrections that I may have missed/do not know about):

CONFIRMED NOT RETURNING (8)

Pridham (eligibility)
Swan (eligibility)
Campbell (eligibility)
Denny (eligibility)
Fullerton (eligibility)
LaCosta (eligibility)
Lynes (injury)
Todd (pro)

UNKNOWN (3)

Kidd
Fillier
Wright

RETURNING (13)

Desnoyers
Priamo
Houde-Caron
Braes
McNeil
MacDougall
Critchlow
Robertson
Carroll
Shutron
Salituro
Culligan
Nesbitt

NEW RECRUITS (7)

Mike Thomas
Charles Lavigne
Dylan Willick
Cam Maclise
Ben Duffy ?? (possible pro offfer)
Jordan Murray ?? (yet to be confirmed by team)
Brandon Hynes ?? (no confirmation, rumour only)

- So by my count they have 13 guys that are almost certain to come back, with up to 7 possible recruits....giving them 20 roster players (19 skaters) at the moment....meaning there are still 3 skater spots to fill and the back-up goalie spot. Now if Kidd/Wright/Fillier all come back (which is probably unlikely) that gives them 22 skaters, right at the cap.

- They only have 4 defencemen that are most likely coming back (Shutron/Robertson/Priamo/Desnoyers)...with Murray committed. So assuming Wright and Kidd are done they probably need to add at the minimum two more guys on the back end. If both Wright and Kidd do come back they would have 7, but it still might not be a bad idea to add an Aldred/Hepditch/Todd type who can play both F and D.
Wright, Fillier done as I hear and Kidd on the fence.

Old
06-11-2013, 07:24 PM
AUS Fan

Add to the list Shea Kewin who is going into the Masters of Hockey program, replacing recent grads Pridham and Swan.

Old
06-11-2013, 07:34 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Must have seen the success former Dal Tigers Jimmy Cuddihy (2009 CIS Champion) and Brad Pierce (2007 CIS Champion) had at UNB.

Old
06-11-2013, 07:41 PM
wolf13

Quote:
Add to the list Shea Kewin who is going into the Masters of Hockey program, replacing recent grads Pridham and Swan.
That statement there is the definition of trolling. That's your second inflammatory comment of the day in this thread. The first one taking shots at Duffy for some unknown reason.

Last edited by wolf13: 06-11-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 02:25 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
That statement there is the definition of trolling. That's your second inflammatory comment of the day in this thread. The first one taking shots at Duffy for some unknown reason.
Relax he was just joking around. As for Duffy there has to be a reason he didn't get any pro offers. He was just giving his prespective. Glad to read it as I have never seen him play.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:30 AM
Rob

Did not know about Kewin being added. Is this recent?

Most likely a depth player who may not see much action.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:21 AM
FreddtFoyle

In today's Gleaner:

Quote:
Gardiner MacDougall's trip to Russia last August was a productive one. Not only did it yield a couple of exhibition games against a touring Russian side over the Christmas break last season - tied around the 40th anniversary of the historic 1972 Summit Series - but it led him to the goaltenders who will carry the banner forward for his University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds this season.

One you already know - former St. Thomas Tommies goaltender Charles Lavigne crossed campus last season to enrol in UNB's MBA program. He dressed as the backup for two games when the V-Reds ran into injury problems with the tandem of Travis Fullerton and Dan LaCosta.

The other is former Sudbury Wolves and Kitchener Rangers goaltender Joel Vienneau, who will share the crease with the veteran Lavigne in his rookie season.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:33 AM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
Wolfie, you are partially correct.

Not really trolling, as I have commented in the past ( both public and private) my dislike for the "Hockey Masters" program. But, it was a shot at UNB in a lighthearted way as I have stated privately to Foyle that I didn't think either of those guys would do the 2 years. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

As far as Ben goes, I was being honest and objective. As Foyle points out, if Ben can hack it, he'll be fine. If you read my post you'll see that my point on Ben was that he "could" get more playing time on another team.

I commend your defense of the Red Army.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:37 AM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Did not know about Kewin being added. Is this recent?

Most likely a depth player who may not see much action.
Until he actually goes to UNB, it is still conjecture, but I did hear it from a fairly reliable source. If I'm wrong, I'll stand up and say so.

Kewin could be a good fit on the team, given that he is a physical, gritty type of player.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:25 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Until he actually goes to UNB, it is still conjecture, but I did hear it from a fairly reliable source. If I'm wrong, I'll stand up and say so.

Kewin could be a good fit on the team, given that he is a physical, gritty type of player.
And that would be one less player head-hunting Culligan.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:21 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
And that would be one less player head-hunting Culligan.

and that would be another upside to him going to UNB.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Nick Murray

Quick trivia question

Hey folks,

I'm working on a story for tomorrow's paper and just to add a bit of colour, who's a prominent V-Red that's wore #15?

Thanks folks. I'd attribute it to you but company policy says we can't have anonymous sources

Old
06-12-2013, 03:48 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Murray View Post
Hey folks,

I'm working on a story for tomorrow's paper and just to add a bit of colour, who's a prominent V-Red that's wore #15?

Thanks folks. I'd attribute it to you but company policy says we can't have anonymous sources
The last two guys I can think of that wore it were Luke Lynes and Brad Efthimiou....but with all due respect I wouldn't really call either 'prominent', although Efthimiou almost averaged a point/game in his 3 years here (70 in 75 GP).

On a side note, it is strange to see UNB announcing so many recruits this early in the summer...usually it is August or so before we start to see anything confirmed.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 06-12-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 05:52 PM
rethinking

Strong early recruiting success might help persuade some undecided potential D recruits to join the Reds also.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Murray View Post
Hey folks,

Ryan Burgoyne
http://www.vredshockey.com/stats/B050.HTMhttp://

Colin Beardsmore (1999/00 - 1 season, but a great player)
http://www.vredshockey.com/stats/B054.HTM

Old
06-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
On a side note, it is strange to see UNB announcing so many recruits this early in the summer...usually it is August or so before we start to see anything confirmed.
I agree - it's not typical, but with Twitter/Facebook and slow news cycles, the stories are coming out from a number of different places - putting UNB in a position of 'catch-up'.

The Release for Joel Vienneau is really the fist release by UNB to be ahead of the cycle. Probably a nice way of telling other programs to buzz-off.

For me - I don't count on anything until I see them skating in a game at the AUC.

Now - if we could get 1 or 2 more D, I think we'd be set.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Rob

Nice article in today's Gleaner on Cam Maclise. At 6'4 he will be our biggest forward.

Very happy with the pickup of Joel Vienneau. He was John Gibson's backup on a very good Kitchener Rangers team so he is probably used to seeing limited action. However, it wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be our number one goalie by season's end.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:00 AM
wolf13

Quote:
Wolfie, you are partially correct.

Not really trolling, as I have commented in the past ( both public and private) my dislike for the "Hockey Masters" program. But, it was a shot at UNB in a lighthearted way as I have stated privately to Foyle that I didn't think either of those guys would do the 2 years. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

As far as Ben goes, I was being honest and objective. As Foyle points out, if Ben can hack it, he'll be fine. If you read my post you'll see that my point on Ben was that he "could" get more playing time on another team.

I commend your defense of the Red Army.
The practice of athletes going for their Masters at other schools is done all over in the NCAA. Other AUS schools do it. Dalhousie does it with basketball players and I suspect other athletes as well. The University of Calgary does it.

The NCAA at least attempts to crack down on every little thing (some of which are ridiculous). They don't have any problem with players transferring to go to grad school. If they don't do you really think fans or the CIS are going to have a problem with it?

Last edited by wolf13: 06-13-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old
06-13-2013, 11:37 AM
AUS Fan

I don't have a problem with players going to grad school like Cuddihy and Pierce who enrolled in the MBA program, if I'm not mistaken. The two players I mentioned were not in the MBA, but in a "Sports" Masters program. One of them did not graduate from SFX, but was allowed in because he was a good person and was recommended by some influential people. Do I really care? No. I was happy for Prids to win as he missed out in 2010 when he was injured. My point is don't disguise the program as anything other than a place for athletes to go and play a 5th year without having to enroll in an MBA or BEd program.

Further to this, I'm not interested in what the NCAA does or other schools may do for basketball players. I would guess that in the CIS, most basketball or football players doing 5th year, are likely taking undergrad courses. My focus is on CIS hockey in general and AUS in particular.

Last edited by AUS Fan: 06-13-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old
06-13-2013, 04:05 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
I don't have a problem with players going to grad school like Cuddihy and Pierce who enrolled in the MBA program, if I'm not mistaken. The two players I mentioned were not in the MBA, but in a "Sports" Masters program. One of them did not graduate from SFX, but was allowed in because he was a good person and was recommended by some influential people. Do I really care? No. I was happy for Prids to win as he missed out in 2010 when he was injured. My point is don't disguise the program as anything other than a place for athletes to go and play a 5th year without having to enroll in an MBA or BEd program.

Further to this, I'm not interested in what the NCAA does or other schools may do for basketball players. I would guess that in the CIS, most basketball or football players doing 5th year, are likely taking undergrad courses. My focus is on CIS hockey in general and AUS in particular.
Well said.

Closed Thread