HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best stick for around $100

Old
06-10-2013, 10:06 AM
SpokedBee

vCash: 500
Best stick for around $100

I've been researching different sticks around this price point and there are a lot of mixed reviews on just about all of them. It seems like the last gen of sticks in just about all brands had durability problems with the blade and the new sticks have fixed this. It also seems like a lot of sticks lose the "pop" pretty quickly.

Basically what I am looking for is good all around stick with a low kick point and good spring to take snapshots. Right now I have a bauer One60 but it is a little heavy for my liking and im looking to make that my backup stick.

SpokedBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:12 AM
lilphill23

vCash: 390
I currently use last generation's Mako M1 and this generation's Mako M2. Both sticks are pretty light for being lower tier. I have played prolly 15 games with each and have no real durability issues aside from the white paint getting scuffed a bit.

lilphill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:21 AM
jsykes

Several I go to when a customer asks me in store, the RBZ60, Graf G45 (prob my favorite at $99), Nexus 600, and Warrior DT4.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:07 PM
SpokedBee

what about a warrior dolomite/diablo or Easton Stealth 75S. Those are in the price range now. I would rather get a better model from last gen than a bottom of the line one in the current gen for the same price.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:14 PM
TieClark

For my money the Nexon 8 from Sherwood.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:22 PM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

If you can find an S19 on clearance, that would be my choice....best stick I ever used !!

WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just picked up the Montreal M60 for $60 and it's the best shooting stick I've used since my Vapor X:60.

Otherwise check out Hockey Monkey and Total Hockey, they have a ton of clearance sticks for $120 or less that are way better than anything new at that price.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:47 PM
SpokedBee

I was on those sites as well as hockeygiant. Just not sure which one to go with yet. Thanks for the replies.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:40 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
i think hockeymonkey and ebay still have some dolomites left

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:04 PM
mlaws9
Rookie User

Just replaced a couple Dolomite Spynes from like 2010 with a pair of $99 (clearance, hockeymonkey) Diablos (Draper pattern, RH, 75 flex, though I cut about six inches off). Haven't used them yet but they feel maybe a few grams lighter than the old ones, and maybe better-balanced overall. (Not a huge difference in any aspect, which is what I was looking for, as I loved my old 85-flex Draper Dolomites.)

Get thee to hockeymonkey. $100 will get you a really nice last-year-model twig on clearance.

mlaws9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Go look around for older high end models. Your best bet at finding a great stick for about $100.

There are plenty of bargains on eBay and Craigslist if you dig around. If you choose to go with retailers, the Widow should be around $130 and that's an excellent stick.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:16 PM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokedBee View Post
I've been researching different sticks around this price point and there are a lot of mixed reviews on just about all of them. It seems like the last gen of sticks in just about all brands had durability problems with the blade and the new sticks have fixed this. It also seems like a lot of sticks lose the "pop" pretty quickly.

Basically what I am looking for is good all around stick with a low kick point and good spring to take snapshots. Right now I have a bauer One60 but it is a little heavy for my liking and im looking to make that my backup stick.
Definitely look at clearance racks. I picked up an old se16 for 49.99 at my work today, an ST grip for 64.99, and an eq50 for 89.99. Im not a huge easton fan but if you break any of those sticks under warranty, you get a new mako2 or v9 if youre lucky. If not, each of those sticks are solid in their own right. Warrior, reebok And easton tend to mark down a lot more than bauer does. Which is too bad :s

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:06 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
You can lose pop very quickly with them, but sometimes you can find some really nice high-end sticks worth over $100 retail but for a lot less at your local NHL team's equipment sale. My friend picked up a Kesler one once. Pretty whippy for him, but he liked it a lot. It also broke pretty quickly, though.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 07:35 AM
leftwinger37

I'll agree with the other posters that if you bump your price range up to around $120-130, you'll be getting a top of the line stick. I just got a pro stock Easton RSII for $120 shipped on ebay. For only $20 bucks more, it is light years better than just about anything available in the neighborhood of $100. I'm no stranger to shopping on a budget, but in the long run it's better to spend the extra money. Trust me.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 08:08 AM
TheSkatingDead

I just picked up a Reebok 11K for only $120, including shipping! It was on clearance over at Hockey Monkey, plus 20% for Memorial Day... love it!

I definitely recommend checking out Hockey Monkey's clearance sticks...

TheSkatingDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 12:30 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Go take a look at the Bauer X40, low kick point and I believe lighter then the One60 stick you speak of.

And just my 2 cents on the durability of sticks these days, they are all gonna chip and break, these things are made of fibers and resins, and getting slammed and smashed on a surface hard as concrete. If you want something that last longer, go back to wood. Or take the good with the bad, these new sticks shoot like rockets, but don't last forever.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 07:18 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 View Post
Definitely look at clearance racks. I picked up an old se16 for 49.99 at my work today, an ST grip for 64.99, and an eq50 for 89.99. Im not a huge easton fan but if you break any of those sticks under warranty, you get a new mako2 or v9 if youre lucky. If not, each of those sticks are solid in their own right. Warrior, reebok And easton tend to mark down a lot more than bauer does. Which is too bad :s
National, Source or Perani's?

and the thing about Bauer not giving out as many closeouts is absolutely true and will be the case for a while. brand image reasons.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:20 PM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
National, Source or Perani's?

and the thing about Bauer not giving out as many closeouts is absolutely true and will be the case for a while. brand image reasons.
National. Unfortunately the se16s and STs arent in store... Have to order them from our bigger stores like pickering and waterloo.

Its too bad about bauer, all the other top brands usually hook us up. Reebok is offering us the ribcore for $75. Ccm has a deal for employees that we can get the new CCM RBZ skates and RBZ2 stick for a total of $250 + shipping. All we get from bauer is an hour a year at western fair to demo their new gear.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:37 AM
AIREAYE

yeah the two pro deals are spectacular. great way to get their products out on the market fast. I already ordered the rbz one and will put in the ribcor order eventually. we've got a ccm Reebok demo day in July. anyhow sorry for the thread derailment. I personally think that at the 100 level, the mako m2 II, 65S, dt4, AI5 and 16K are all excellent.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:47 AM
jsykes

Bauer does offer decent employee deals. Not as good as the recent ones from easton and ccm, but still pretty decent.

Also, you guys may want to be careful about spouting off exactly what these amazing deals are. I doubt that the companies want every person out there knowing what they're giving these items to employees for. It really lessens the impact of having employees using their product if customers know its only because they got them dirt cheap.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:56 AM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
Just got an M3 v1 @ SC for $99.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:10 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Bauer does offer decent employee deals. Not as good as the recent ones from easton and ccm, but still pretty decent.

Also, you guys may want to be careful about spouting off exactly what these amazing deals are. I doubt that the companies want every person out there knowing what they're giving these items to employees for. It really lessens the impact of having employees using their product if customers know its only because they got them dirt cheap.
never guilty lol. with how social media is, everyone already knows though you never want to be "that guy" on the retail front who spills prematurely.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:11 AM
SpokedBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I just picked up the Montreal M60 for $60 and it's the best shooting stick I've used since my Vapor X:60.
I am going to be switching to a Int stick to try the lower (appropriate) flex for me so the $60 price tag and good things I've read about it seems like a good fit.

Any idea what the Sakic curve is called?

Old
06-12-2013, 11:04 AM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post

Im not overly concerned... the deals we get in store from CCM are based on how well our store does on sales. Ours only got 2 deals for the whole staff because of our numbers. Tbh I almost didnt get the deal for even that price.

Im very open to anyone who asks my personal opinion that 12 times out of 10 id take a bauer or reebok skate over a ccm or easton.

And weve never had a staff deal on anything bauer before, which is really a shame. Although it could be that out of all the companies bauer has the least to prove or promote.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:18 AM
iLandHer

Is there anywhere that lists sticks by their weight? I'm in the same boat in terms of how much money I can spend, and the weight of the stick really matters to me but I haven't found a place that lets you easily sort sticks based off of that criteria.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote