HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part V: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 01:03 PM
DrHamburg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Actually, I like your lineup better, but will Giroux and Voracek be separated at this point?
I was thinking that Voracek has improved enough that he can carry a line offensively by himself. The few games he was paired with Schenn they seemed like a perfect fit. I trust your intel on Laughton more than mine, as I only seen him when he was up with the Flyers. Can he be a 3rd liner this upcoming season? That is what I would base my lines on. Also, I think Laughtons ability is going to have a factor on the Flyers draft. If he can be a top 9 player, I think ol Homer is going to move Briere at least, maybe even trade Read (which I would not be a fan of unless he has already decided he won't be resigned)

Old
06-11-2013, 01:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I was thinking that Voracek has improved enough that he can carry a line offensively by himself. The few games he was paired with Schenn they seemed like a perfect fit. I trust your intel on Laughton more than mine, as I only seen him when he was up with the Flyers. Can he be a 3rd liner this upcoming season? That is what I would base my lines on. Also, I think Laughtons ability is going to have a factor on the Flyers draft. If he can be a top 9 player, I think ol Homer is going to move Briere at least, maybe even trade Read (which I would not be a fan of unless he has already decided he won't be resigned)
Laughton is the kind of player who can be what you want him to be and do what you want him to do. He has this willpower thing about him where he just wants to make things happen, goes out, and does it.

He can be a 3rd liner this season fairly easily. There will be growing pains. He will make mistakes. That said, he's definitely NHL-ready.

Whether or not Lavi uses him in the top 9 is another story, but Laughton is very much ready to be our 3rd line center. Moving Schenn to the wing permanently just makes too much sense at this point.

What about this...

Buyout Bryzgalov.
Buyout Briere.
11th + Cousins/McGinn/2nd for Gardiner.
Sign Jagr.
Sign Thomas.

Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr
Schenn - Couturier - Voracek
Simmonds - Laughton - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot
Rosehill

Timonen - Schenn
Gardiner - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann
Gervais - Meszaros

Mason
Thomas

Old
06-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Thank you. I have been saying this for quite some time now to seperate giroux and voracek. I think the only way couturier or schenn ever is able to develop on offense is by having voracek on his wing.

Hartnell Giroux Gagne
Simmonds Schenn Voracek
Read Couturier Mcginn

Old
06-11-2013, 01:17 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Laughton is the kind of player who can be what you want him to be and do what you want him to do. He has this willpower thing about him where he just wants to make things happen, goes out, and does it.

He can be a 3rd liner this season fairly easily. There will be growing pains. He will make mistakes. That said, he's definitely NHL-ready.

Whether or not Lavi uses him in the top 9 is another story, but Laughton is very much ready to be our 3rd line center. Moving Schenn to the wing permanently just makes too much sense at this point.

What about this...

Buyout Bryzgalov.
Buyout Briere.
11th + Cousins/McGinn/2nd for Gardiner.
Sign Jagr.
Sign Thomas.

Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr
Schenn - Couturier - Voracek
Simmonds - Laughton - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot
Rosehill

Timonen - Schenn
Gardiner - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann
Gervais - Meszaros

Mason
Thomas
Don't want gardiner at that price. Don't want Jagr. Thomas would be a great signing.

Also I see a lot of posts with simmer on the third line. I think he needs to be getting a high amount of minutes. I would put him on the second line with couts and schenn and have him ready to take over for Hartnell soon. Gagne should be no higher than the third line and no pp time.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:04 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Love the roster and agree about Simmonds. Not sure how Gags would feel being on the third. His role will be a sticking point where he signs.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Nurse. Nurse. Nurse.

We need him.

https://twitter.com/GareJoyceNHL/sta...07952662736896

Let's hope 5-10 are not fans of him.
How do we know that the Flyers are high on him?

The Flyers are usually tight lipped about the draft process. Nobody expected Laughton last year, for example.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Sign Thomas.
Is this Tim Thomas, the looney-toon, soon to be 40ish goalie who's been out of the game for a year? If so, why on earth would anyone touch him with a 10 foot pole? No thanks, I'd rather they do something else. Like ask Bernie Parent to come back, or something similarly asinine. Thomas alienated players and media in Boston, and given the similarities in media markets it wouldn't be any better in Philly.

Offer sheet Bernier instead, perhaps. Broad Street Hockey suggested an offer sheet at the 2nd round pick compensation level, and that works for me. It's not like Holmgren wants to pick in the 2nd round anyway. Get a young, more cost controlled goalie with talent for just a pick, allowing you to use other chips to upgrade the D.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Unagi

Quick question here. With the Flyers needing D and the rumor of them being open to trade Couts or Schenn for the right deal, have there been rumors that you guys would be involved in a trade for the 1st overall? Do you guys expect that?

Old
06-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
Quick question here. With the Flyers needing D and the rumor of them being open to trade Couts or Schenn for the right deal, have there been rumors that you guys would be involved in a trade for the 1st overall? Do you guys expect that?
No. I mean the asking price for that pick would be too much for any team outside the top 3 to give up.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:49 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
There's been rumors of the Flyers being one of the few teams interested in moving up for Nichushkin but nothing about Jones and the #1 pick.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:49 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
I haven't heard anything about the Flyers moving up to #1. More speculation about trading up to #5-7 to take Nichushkin.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Unagi

I am not too familiar with the Flyers prospect pool, but I find Nichushkin odd. With Giroux, Schenn and Couts, you have the 3 center positions filled? I always assumed D was a more immediate need?

Old
06-11-2013, 04:52 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

i would love to move up for jones, but haven't heard anything.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I am not too familiar with the Flyers prospect pool, but I find Nichushkin odd. With Giroux, Schenn and Couts, you have the 3 center positions filled? I always assumed D was a more immediate need?
Nuchishkin projects to be a winger for the NHL level. The Flyers don't draft for need in the first round like most teams they take the BPA.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Unagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Nuchishkin projects to be a winger for the NHL level. The Flyers don't draft for need in the first round like most teams they take the BPA.
I get that, but if one trades up for a certain player it has to do something with need. Otherwise you just wait your turn for the BPA.

Well anyway thanks for the answers! Have a good draft!

Old
06-11-2013, 05:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I get that, but if one trades up for a certain player it has to do something with need. Otherwise you just wait your turn for the BPA.

Well anyway thanks for the answers! Have a good draft!
Well, every team could use a player with star potential regardless of where they play.

Nichushkin might not be an exact need from a positional standpoint but if the FO feels like he's one of the better players in this draft and feels like his potential outweighs the possible assets to move up to get him then they'll go for it.

In the end I don't see us moving up at all though.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:28 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I am not sure if I like this at all. The biggest problem I have is 2nd and 3rd lines. Couturier is going to be used in a defensive role. He has too, no way around it yet. Could you imagine Briere starting in his own end like 65% of the time? I'd cry. And if it were Gagne it would just turn into a defensive line and Line 3 would have to be counted on for offense which would be a lot of pressure on Laughton. Also, Simmonds was easily one of the top 3 forwards on the team. I want him on a top line and him on the first PP. I do like the idea of Schenn on the wing because him and Couts are so bad on the faceoffs having them on 2 different lines losing that many faceoffs was brutal and put a lot of pressure on the defense and goalies. Here is how I would do it, if you wanted Schenn at wing and feel free to disagree

Hartnell - Giroux - Simmonds
Schenn - Couturier -Voracek
Gagne - Laughton - Read
Talbot -Hall -Rinaldo
McGinn or w/e

Schenn gets added with Voracek whom he played best with and lets Couts get a chance with some offensive players. Hartnell gets to stay with Giroux (Hartnell at his contract needs to produce). I like the idea of protecting Giroux with Simmonds and Hartnell and them together on the PP was awesome the past 2 season. Gagne and Read would help Laughton a ton. Also, while it puts pressure on Laughton in his own zone, I would feel okay with the top 3 lines in any defensive situation and could rely more on matchups other than "Flyers faceoff in their own zone, better call Couturiers line."
I like these lines as well but I'd switch Simmer and Read. The reason being G needs a shooter and the 3rd line is too small and would get dominated physically. Laughton is a bulldog on the ice but he'll be 19 I highly doubt he'll be out muscling anyone really at that point. Gags has lost a bit of his finish in my eyes which is why I suggested Read on the first line. Read has a very under rated shot IMO and would be an asset as G's wing man. Hartnell and Simmer play a similar game which would probably limit their effectiveness. If it doesn't work out switch Hartnell and Simmonds and supplement whoever is on the 3rd line's EV time with loads of PP time assuming they deserve it. Just my two cents.

I really like Jake and Schenn on the same line again, they were great together.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:36 PM
JABEE

I always wonder how much credence there actually is in those one-on-one interviews/evaluations. If Nichushkin is as talented as people say he is, I hope he drops to 11. There are people saying that he's like Malkin if Malkin drove through players like Lindros. He has a 100" wingspan to carry the puck. All the tape I have seen of him is him just speeding. He's extremely fast. He controls the puck and shields players off the puck like Jagr. He is playing in the KHL as a 17 year old.

I'm not going to write someone off because they don't make a good impression in an interview. I hope other teams start to pass on him now. He will be a steal if he drops out of the top 7-8 picks.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:14 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL
Re Nikushkin: Sr scouts all laughed. Sez 1 "Don't remember worse combine. Quit tests, brutal intervu. Shame. as talented." #NHL #draft
Sounds like the Keith Jones scouting report. But can he play? Answer: Yes.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I don't mind the interview, there could be a language barrier. Quitting tests, though...that's concerning.

Edit: Haha, maybe he's trying to drop his own draft position to get on a better team.

06-11-2013, 06:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't mind the interview, there could be a language barrier. Quitting tests, though...that's concerning.

Edit: Haha, maybe he's trying to drop his own draft position to get on a better team.
The kid is pretty built. He claimed he didn't train for the combine because his season just wrapped up and he sticks to a regiment so he doesn't burn himself out the next season.

He said that in interview prior to the combine so its not like he was making excuses after a poor showing.

Either way I could care less, if this gets him down to #11 and the Flyers select him, I'll be happier than a pig in ****.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 06-11-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old
06-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The kid is pretty built. He claimed he didn't train for the combine because his season just wrapped up and he sticks to a regiment so he doesn't burn himself out the next season.

He said that in interview prior to the combine so its not like he was making excuses after a poor showing.

Either way I could care less, if this gets him down to #11 and the Flyers select him, I'll be happier than a pig in ****.
I'll take your word for it. Outside of the big name of any draft I rarely follow any of it until the Flyers pick someone. Then my research begins.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:52 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I want no part of a player that is quitting on drills int he combine and blowing it in interviews. You can say it doesn't matter because he has the skill, but is that really a risk you want to take with your first round draft pick? Sure, he may be fine and this may be a non-issue in the end, but it also could be a big issue. If he is quitting on combine drills, what makes you think he won't quit on a play?

Old
06-11-2013, 07:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I want no part of a player that is quitting on drills int he combine and blowing it in interviews. You can say it doesn't matter because he has the skill, but is that really a risk you want to take with your first round draft pick? Sure, he may be fine and this may be a non-issue in the end, but it also could be a big issue. If he is quitting on combine drills, what makes you think he won't quit on a play?
I'd take him at 11 still. That being said, some people think it doesnt matter but it makes a difference. I can see him dropping now.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:07 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Laughton is just one of those players who the ahl just isn't going to do a whole lot for. He's definitely got the hockey iq, responsibility and intensity to play in the NHL next season. I think he's going to be a better player than a lot of people think.

Last edited by orange is better: 06-11-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Closed Thread