HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part V: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 08:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Laughton is just one of those players who the ahl just isn't going to do a whole lot for. He's definitely got the hockey iq, responsibility and intensity to play in the NHL next season. I think he's going to be a better player than a lot of people think.
Well he's not eligible to play in the AHL next year. It's either NHL or OHL.

If he was eligible for the AHL, I wouldn't have minded him starting off there for the season similar to Giroux in 08-09.

Anyway I don't see the point of sending him back to the OHL, I rather have him up here over that.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:43 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well he's not eligible to play in the AHL next year. It's either NHL or OHL.

If he was eligible for the AHL, I wouldn't have minded him starting off there for the season similar to Giroux in 08-09.

Anyway I don't see the point of sending him back to the OHL, I rather have him up here over that.
Unless the kid severlyyyy struggles, I think he is a lock at this point.

Homer is in love with him. I know a few people HATE it, but having your 19 yr play in the NHL even as a 4th line can be good for him. Gets him used to the game and when someone gets hurt (AND they will) he moves up.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
xxx-Couturier-xxx
Rinaldo-Laughton-Talbot

Fill in the xxx's with whoever.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:17 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Unless the kid severlyyyy struggles, I think he is a lock at this point.

Homer is in love with him. I know a few people HATE it, but having your 19 yr play in the NHL even as a 4th line can be good for him. Gets him used to the game and when someone gets hurt (AND they will) he moves up.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
xxx-Couturier-xxx
Rinaldo-Laughton-Talbot

Fill in the xxx's with whoever.
That looks like Laviolette's line-up, and exactly why Couturier didn't put up better numbers this season.

I had a thought: if Holmgren wants to trade Read and it doesn't happen in the off-season, he could put him on the top line for a dozen games with Giroux and Voracek to inflate his numbers.

As well, I have no big urgency to anoint Laughton as the 3rd line C. Let him try out with the others and if he blows them away again, you look at the roster.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:26 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I'd take him at 11 still. That being said, some people think it doesnt matter but it makes a difference. I can see him dropping now.
For all of the good I see and hear he still gives nightmares of being another Brendl.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:33 PM
lancer247

I am going to be about $10MM behind budget by the end of the month and get major **** for it but I still can't wait for it to get here for the draft and free agency to start.

I am getting blurry eyed with all of the predictions.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:48 PM
BernieParent

So let's say Nichushkin actually, miraculously, drops to 11th. Even more miraculously, Paul Holmgren remembers his name, overlooks the fact that he's Russian and chooses him. Snider writes out a nice big cheque for the KHL and there's Nichushkin at the preseason training camp.

Where do you put him?

Old
06-11-2013, 09:50 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post

Where do you put him?
Center.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
So let's say Nichushkin actually, miraculously, drops to 11th. Even more miraculously, Paul Holmgren remembers his name, overlooks the fact that he's Russian and chooses him. Snider writes out a nice big cheque for the KHL and there's Nichushkin at the preseason training camp.

Where do you put him?
Start with Schenn and Simmonds, move up to Giroux and Voracek if Hartnell doesn't return to form, which I think he will though.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:02 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:

Where do you put him?
On the blue jackets

Old
06-11-2013, 10:05 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Start with Schenn and Simmonds, move up to Giroux and Voracek if Hartnell doesn't return to form, which I think he will though.
Right to the 2nd line and possible 1st-line minutes? Intriguing.

I'd hate that the Flyers didn't cash in on D with (most probably) several excellent prospects. But, crap, that would be a ton of fun having a big power forward loaded with talent and silky hands as another member of Team Offense.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Right to the 2nd line and possible 1st-line minutes? Intriguing.

I'd hate that the Flyers didn't cash in on D with (most probably) several excellent prospects. But, crap, that would be a ton of fun having a big power forward loaded with talent and silky hands as another member of Team Offense.
See the thing is with pro-defensemen crowd is that I don't think many of them understand that this is a deep defensemen class. There's going still be some nice defensemen left at #41.

I want to take a defensemen in the first round too (preferably Nurse or Ristolanien) but if guy like Nichushkin or some other forward falls that shouldn't be at #11 then I have no problem with them taking that guy.

Most teams start drafting for needs from the second round and on, I'm pretty confident we'll at least select one defensemen with one of our first two picks.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 06-11-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old
06-11-2013, 10:19 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I think we are going to have a hard time putting together a solid top nine if Laughton isnt ready for the third line and Lavy keeps putting couts on the fourth line. But Laughton being ready for top nine minutes and one of Laughton or Schenn moving to the wing is necessary to ice a solid top nine.

Edit: without any other signings

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Hartnell-Couts-Voracek
Gagne-Laughton-Read

or

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Laughton-Couts-XX

I just don't see very many good UFA options

Old
06-11-2013, 10:34 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
See the thing is with pro-defensemen crowd is that I don't think many of them understand that this is a deep defensemen class in this draft. There's going still be some nice defensemen left at #41.

I want to take a defensemen in the first round too (preferably Nurse or Ristolanien) but if guy like Nichushkin or someone other falls that shouldn't be at #11 then I have no problem with them taking that guy.

Most teams starting drafting for needs from the second round and on, I'm pretty confident we'll at least select one defensemen with one of our first two picks.
I completely agree with you. Guys who may be around 41 on defense are -

Robert Hagg
Ian McCoshen
Dillon Heatherington
Mirco Mueller
Jordan Subban

That's a pretty good crop of Dmen who some will definitely be available. Considering the fact that there are a lot of good forwards who will still be available in the 2nd round, the flyers may be able to still come out on top with a good d prospect. Personally I've seen hagg and subban play and if I were picking, they would be on my list. Subban really intrigues me because he's lightning fast makes great passes and hits hard. His cons are that he's only 5'9 and his defenseive game is a little questionable. But he's only 18 so he has years to work on that part of his game

Old
06-11-2013, 10:39 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

If we could get either Haag or Meuller at 41 I would be ecstatic.

If our top two picks are one of Nurse, Ristolainen or Pulock and one of Haag or Meuller, I think we'll all be pretty pumped about the future.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:41 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post

Robert Hagg
Ian McCoshen
Dillon Heatherington
Mirco Mueller
Jordan Subban

That's a pretty good crop of Dmen who some will definitely be available. Considering the fact that there are a lot of good forwards who will still be available in the 2nd round, the flyers may be able to still come out on top with a good d prospect. Personally I've seen hagg and subban play and if I were picking, they would be on my list. Subban really intrigues me because he's lightning fast makes great passes and hits hard. His cons are that he's only 5'9 and his defenseive game is a little questionable. But he's only 18 so he has years to work on that part of his game
For sure. Unless someone with Nichushkin's cachet falls to 11, I'm hoping that Holmgren can add exceptions defensive prospects with both the 1st and 2nd round picks. I am, though, open to grabbing a home-run type forward if the opportunity is there.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post

Robert Hagg
Ian McCoshen
Dillon Heatherington
Mirco Mueller
Jordan Subban

Subban would be a first-rounder if he was a couple inches taller.

There's still some nice defensemen to even add to your list like Shea Theodore, Madison Bowey, Steve Santini, Eric Roy, Tommy Vanelli, & Michael Downing.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:52 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
For sure. Unless someone with Nichushkin's cachet falls to 11, I'm hoping that Holmgren can add exceptions defensive prospects with both the 1st and 2nd round picks. I am, though, open to grabbing a home-run type forward if the opportunity is there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If we could get either Haag or Meuller at 41 I would be ecstatic.

If our top two picks are one of Nurse, Ristolainen or Pulock and one of Haag or Meuller, I think we'll all be pretty pumped about the future.
Im glad that some fans are on the same page. If Nicushkin were to drop to 11 and flyers added one of those defenseman in the 2nd or they took one of nursem ristolainen, pulock, zadorov in the first then on of those Dmen in the 2nd, the flyers have a lot to look forward to.

No need to trade couturier, Laughton, schenn, etc. This would really help them build from within while holding onto core players(something the flyers never do)

If a miracle were to happen and the flyers D were healthy this year, there is no need to try and make a home run trade for a guy like yandle or whoever is out there(besides weber, or other legit #1's). The current D should be good enough to make the playoffs IMO

Last edited by NHLAlert: 06-11-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old
06-11-2013, 10:54 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:

There's still some nice defensemen to even add to your list like Shea Theodore, Madison Bowey, Steve Santini, Eric Roy, Tommy Vanelli, & Michael Downing.
For sure. Santini has great size already and plays a good all around game and Bowey some think to be better than pulock. He too has good size and also untapped offensive potential

Old
06-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
I really think this 'Nichushkin bombed the combine' stuff is crap. I watched combine coverage and they were raving about him. Man among boys, etc. There is a lot of deleiberate misinformation being floated to throw teams off the track. It's poker.

One day, Nich is a threat to the top three, with half a dozen teams clamouring to move up to 4 to get him, the next day he's dropping out of the top 10 because some j@ckoff Sabre tweeter says he bombed an interview in his second language?

Same thing with Nurse. Bunch of rumours he's dumb, the day before he wins OHL scholastic player of the year- because he's so good at school despite being in a bus all weekend. Real dummy.

Nichushkin is not going to be there at 11 and neither is Nurse.

We should have tanked!

Old
06-12-2013, 02:04 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:

Subban would be top 10 if he was 6 foot. But 5'9'' for a defenseman is really rough. But it would not surprise me at all if he makes an impact in the league, he has tehe talent to do so.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 1h
#NHL #draft cont. On S Jones, sr scout sez: "Don't see hockey sense, not even bit of edge, wonder about attitude, v avg interview @ combine"

Gare Joyce Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 1h
Spoke to 3 sr scouts Mon., none w Seth Jones @ #1, 2 don't have SJ @ #2 & one has him #4 behind Barkov ("not sold on him, see Erik Johnson")

Old
06-12-2013, 12:01 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 1h
#NHL #draft cont. On S Jones, sr scout sez: "Don't see hockey sense, not even bit of edge, wonder about attitude, v avg interview @ combine"

Gare Joyce Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 1h
Spoke to 3 sr scouts Mon., none w Seth Jones @ #1, 2 don't have SJ @ #2 & one has him #4 behind Barkov ("not sold on him, see Erik Johnson")
That's pretty shocking, considering for how long Jones has seemingly been the consensus pick for #1. I think Holmgren would find it in his heart to give the poor lad a home.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:04 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
That's pretty shocking, considering for how long Jones has seemingly been the consensus pick for #1. I think Holmgren would find it in his heart to give the poor lad a home.
Jones won't fall to 11. We should all know for a FACT he won't slip past the Oilers at 7 at the VERY LEAST. He honestly won't make it that far, but if he falls to 7, the Oilers WILL take him.

However, it is interesting because this is the same talk as the stuff that came out about Nurse a couple months back that hurt his stock.

The real answer here is that no defenseman being drafted is going to be perfect.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Subban would be top 10 if he was 6 foot. But 5'9'' for a defenseman is really rough. But it would not surprise me at all if he makes an impact in the league, he has tehe talent to do so.
I'll take a shot on Subban at 41. Haag would be a nice choice as well.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Eh, Jones had a very strong run through the middle and end of the season, but this was previously the Mackinnon draft, and I believe he's back at 1 on ISS, right?

If by some oddity, Jones slips behind Mackinnon (very possible), Drouin (a bit harder to believe), and Barkov /Nichushkin (that would shock me), then I'm sure Na4shville takes him at 4 and figures out their issues at forward later.

Closed Thread