HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kevin Bieksa

Old
06-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
What exactly is the consensus on what Vancouver is looking for? Are they just wanting a shuffle and reboot - so a hockey trade essentially.

Or are they looking to get younger and acquire some picks and prospects?

Size and grit or speed and skill? I honestly don't have a great gauge on what they are missing. To me, watching them in the playoffs they were lacking the star players stepping up which to me means they might just need a culture change and to cure their goaltending issue that weighs on the club.

Honestly, they would probably be better off staying the course and fiddling with the bottom lines OR complete culture change and make some hockey trades to move their star players. Either way, I don't envy Canucks fans, their window is closing pretty quickly.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
What exactly is the consensus on what Vancouver is looking for? Are they just wanting a shuffle and reboot - so a hockey trade essentially.

Size and grit or speed and skill? I honestly don't have a great gauge on what they are missing. To me, watching them in the playoffs they were lacking the star players stepping up which to me means they might just need a culture change and to cure their goaltending issue that weighs on the club.

Honestly, they would probably be better off staying the course and fiddling with the bottom lines OR complete culture change and make some hockey trades to move their star players. Either way, I don't envy Canucks fans, their window is closing pretty quickly.
I think a hockey trade benefits the Canucks the most. I don't think rebuilding should be an option till the Sedins' retire. Moving a couple core pieces should be in the cards though. For Bieksa we'd target a top 6 winger or 3 rd line centre with offensive potential.

06-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
I think a hockey trade benefits the Canucks the most. I don't think rebuilding should be an option till the Sedins' retire. Moving a couple core pieces should be in the cards though. For Bieksa we'd target a top 6 winger or 3 rd line centre with offensive potential.
That seems like a heavy price to pay but Kevin is a heck of a hockey player and a leader on the ice. He would be great for any team that acquired him if they were to do so.

Montreal would not be able to fill that 3rd line centre need unfortunately as Desharnais is undersized and I feel Vancouver would be just as content playing Schroeder in that spot and Plekanec is a true #2C and has a high value.

I guess if I was forced to make an offer I would look at something like Bourque + Bournival (In Hamilton right now, but is pretty highly touted in the organization and has a high skill set) and maybe swap picks like a late 2nd for Vancouver's 3rd.

I'm sure Vancouver would be iffy on the deal and to be truthful I would hate to lose Bourque because he fills a need on this club.

Now if Vancouver was willing to look at prospects that would be a different story!

Old
06-11-2013, 09:10 PM
penguins2946*

vCash: 500
Bieksa for Sutter? Pens could use a 2-way top-4 D, and Sutter fills the need for a 3C for the Canucks.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Crash View Post
Bieksa for Sutter? Pens could use a 2-way top-4 D, and Sutter fills the need for a 3C for the Canucks.
Hmm. I think I would pass, but it's definitely tempting. I just don't think it makes sense for us to move a top pairing dman to fill a hole at 3C, especially since I have full confidence in Schroeder to hold down the position next season.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Quote:
That seems like a heavy price to pay but Kevin is a heck of a hockey player and a leader on the ice. He would be great for any team that acquired him if they were to do so.

Montreal would not be able to fill that 3rd line centre need unfortunately as Desharnais is undersized and I feel Vancouver would be just as content playing Schroeder in that spot and Plekanec is a true #2C and has a high value.

I guess if I was forced to make an offer I would look at something like Bourque + Bournival (In Hamilton right now, but is pretty highly touted in the organization and has a high skill set) and maybe swap picks like a late 2nd for Vancouver's 3rd.

I'm sure Vancouver would be iffy on the deal and to be truthful I would hate to lose Bourque because he fills a need on this club.

Now if Vancouver was willing to look at prospects that would be a different story!
Sorry but no interest in the package you offered. We already have a slightly overpaid "Tweener" In David Booth. The only way we move Kevin is if a Winger like Purcell is coming in return. Purcell has produced like a top 6 forward and his is a primary playmaking winger something we've been looking for to play with Kesler.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Cloudedthought

Quote:

We are being pulled in two directions thanks to a GM that cant make up his mind. He says time for a "reboot" and then its leaked he wont trade any of the core. He is quoted saying he wants to be like Chicago one minute and then the other he wants to be like Boston.
So no one really knows whats going on.

I think the selection of the next coach should give us insight and hopefully a nice trade at the draft. If neither happen by July 5th,we can go to "Houston we got a problem"!
That said I am curious to see what they do,its my opinon they cant do much till the Sedins contracts are up.

Cloudedthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's a trade I'd make. I may be in the minority with fellow Canucks fans because I have Sutter biased. But IMO Sutter is an elite 3 rd line centre, something we haven't had since Manny.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Booth
Higgins-Sutter-Hansen
Weise-Gaunce/Lain/XXX-Sestito

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Tanev
XXX-Corrado

Doesn't look to bad.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:20 PM
nlnl09

I'd love to move Bieksa + 1st/2nd for Skinner or B. Schenn

nlnl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedthought View Post
We are being pulled in two directions thanks to a GM that cant make up his mind. He says time for a "reboot" and then its leaked he wont trade any of the core. He is quoted saying he wants to be like Chicago one minute and then the other he wants to be like Boston.
So no one really knows whats going on.

I think the selection of the next coach should give us insight and hopefully a nice trade at the draft. If neither happen by July 5th,we can go to "Houston we got a problem"!
That said I am curious to see what they do,its my opinon they cant do much till the Sedins contracts are up.
I have nothing personal against Mike Gillis but for me, I just don't buy what he's selling. I thought he should have been fired and AV would have the chance to with a new GM before being let go. The entire Luongo situation for me was awful, I hated seeing him in front of the mic (should never have been allowed to speak to the media at that point, horrible management) so upset.

Now I realize there is much more to the job than just trades, but I just don't think he's done enough to keep his job.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I have nothing personal against Mike Gillis but for me, I just don't buy what he's selling. I thought he should have been fired and AV would have the chance to with a new GM before being let go. The entire Luongo situation for me was awful, I hated seeing him in front of the mic (should never have been allowed to speak to the media at that point, horrible management) so upset.

Now I realize there is much more to the job than just trades, but I just don't think he's done enough to keep his job.
This the part I don't get. This man took a Vancouver team which looked destined for a rebuild to a perennial Stanley Cup contender. When Gillis took over the team Vancouver finished 11 th in the West, the 5 years since Gillis has taken over the Canucks have only finished top 3. I believe Vancouver may have more points than any team over those past 5 seasons. He also took this team a game away from a Stanley Cup. It's a bottom line business and Gillis has surely gotten results, not in terms of Championships but in terms of consistently icing a top caliber and producing team.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:

At this point it's basically a re-tool on the fly. Sedins have one more year left on their deal and they are untradeable, so Gillis will be required to let them play out their contracts thus a full rebuild can't be started. However, core pieces like Bieksa and Edler can be and should be made available as it's clear that the team needs a culture change. In his end of season press conference, Gillis stated that he wants the team to get younger and bigger so prospects/picks/young players definitely fit the bill.

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:

Bourque doesn't fill a need, he'd be in a similar boat as Booth and Burrows. Canucks would ask for Lars Eller which I'm sure the Habs would scoff at.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Henrik To Daniel

Plekanec works too

Old
06-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Why why why do we need Plekanec? Do we need a 5m+ dollar 3C?

Old
06-12-2013, 02:00 AM
JuniorNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I think Canucks need a five million dollar center because their six million dollar center is in decline. Sedin is slowing and Kesler is getting brittle. Everybody saw what happens when you run out of centers. It wasn't pretty.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:01 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I think Canucks need a five million dollar center because their six million dollar center is in decline. Sedin is slowing and Kesler is getting brittle. Everybody saw what happens when you run out of centers. It wasn't pretty.
You mean when we had Henrik, Kesler, and Roy all healthy? And got swept?

We need wingers far, far more than centres.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:20 AM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
You mean when we had Henrik, Kesler, and Roy all healthy? And got swept?

We need wingers far, far more than centres.
Trade Booth for scraps, move Kesler to wing like when he played with Sundin and have Pleks as the #2 center

Old
06-12-2013, 05:22 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Because we need a centre who can win draws and/or kill penalties and/or shutdown other team's top lines.

It's really tough when Kesler is the only guy you have who can play defense from the centre position.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would MTL do something like this:

To MTL: Burrows + Bieksa
To VAN: Plekanec + Tinordi + ???(1st/2nd/prospect/nothing?)

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:28 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
I'd honestly prefer Eller to Plekanec. He can play both centre and wing effectively and would help bolster the lack of youth in our roster. Nevertheless, one of those two have to be involved for us to trade Bieksa, otherwise no dice.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:34 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
Trade Booth for scraps, move Kesler to wing like when he played with Sundin and have Pleks as the #2 center
Why trade Booth for scraps when you can trade Ballard + Luongo any field a line-up under the cap (obviously I had to sign some UFAs to fill depth position holes):

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Chris Higgins ($2.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Kyle Chipchura ($0.800m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.900m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.851m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Dale Weise ($0.677m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)
Wade Redden ($1.250m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Matt Corrente ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack/Al Montoya ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,446,444; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $853,556

Depending on who you ask, Tanev is ready for a top 4 role...was used there this year when healthy and Corrado is ready for a number 6 slot.

This assumes that the only trade this off-season is Bieksa + picks/prospects for Plekanec + picks/prospects with signings for the 4th line + bottom pair + spares.

Last edited by DJOpus: 06-12-2013 at 05:39 AM.
DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Because we need a centre who can win draws and/or kill penalties and/or shutdown other team's top lines.

It's really tough when Kesler is the only guy you have who can play defense from the centre position.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would MTL do something like this:

To MTL: Burrows + Bieksa
To VAN: Plekanec + Tinordi + ???(1st/2nd/prospect/nothing?)
I would do the trade but swap out Tinordi for any other D in the organization not named Subban and make the pick a 2nd.