HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm/ott

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 08:13 PM
StayThirstyMyFriend

vCash: 500
I just saw Boston's big defencemen beat THE BEST forwards in the league by keeping them at 2 goals in a playoff series. Until Edmonton gets serious and starts trading some of their little forwards for some big mobile up and coming D they aren't going anywhere.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:16 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
He is not worth one of the brightest young stars in the game today. What is there not to get about this? People find Oilers fans annoying when we offer something too much. This is just getting ridiculous. Cowen is not worth any of them and we wouldn't trade any of them for Cowen unless Ottawa added something significant. Just because the Oilers need to upgrade D does not mean we will make a deal that is clearly not enough for us.
yeah I'm not reading this all I'm saying is both sides are just a s bad i already know what the oilers need.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:20 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayThirstyMyFriend View Post
I just saw Boston's big defencemen beat THE BEST forwards in the league by keeping them at 2 goals in a playoff series. Until Edmonton gets serious and starts trading some of their little forwards for some big mobile up and coming D they aren't going anywhere.
Chara != Cowen. The Oilers management are paid to make decisions like whether trading a big 4 is required to win.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:23 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

I could only make it about 3 pages into this thread before I needed to close my laptop and just walk away.

Seriously: no more Sens-Oilers proposals. Each side seems to have an entirely different guideline when evaluating both roster players and prospects.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:23 PM
StayThirstyMyFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Chara != Cowen. The Oilers management are paid to make decisions like whether trading a big 4 is required to win.
1. I wasn't only referring to Cowen only.
2. I bet Cowen is way better than Chara was at his age.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
yeah I'm not reading this all I'm saying is both sides are just a s bad i already know what the oilers need.
You have no ****ing idea what the Oilers needs are. The Oilers need a #1 defenseman. Jared Cowen is not a #1 defenseman. The Oilers already have an abundance of 2-5 defenseman in their lineup. J. Schultz, Smid, Petry, Klefbom, N. Schultz.

The thing you are right about is the Oilers need to improve their D. Cowen is not what we are looking for and we especially would never trade Hall, RNH, Eberle or Yakupov for him.

If a team offers a legitimate #1 defenseman and asks for any of those players now you will get MacT to listen. Cowen does nothing for us.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
You have no ****ing idea what the Oilers needs are. The Oilers need a #1 defenseman. Jared Cowen is not a #1 defenseman. The Oilers already have an abundance of 2-5 defenseman in their lineup. J. Schultz, Smid, Petry, Klefbom, N. Schultz.

The thing you are right about is the Oilers need to improve their D. Cowen is not what we are looking for and we especially would never trade Hall, RNH, Eberle or Yakupov for him.

If a team offers a legitimate #1 defenseman and asks for any of those players now you will get MacT to listen. Cowen does nothing for us.
No player on your roster or in your prospect pool even resembles Cowen. Not one. The only guy who might come close is Smid. And even then, the fact that Cowen also has an offensive side to his game that he can develop if he chooses makes him that much different. His booming shot, mobility for such a big man and crisp passing make him an option on the PP down the line and he was solid offensively in juniors as well, so it's not like it would be coming out of nowhere.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:34 PM
BK201

Quote:

xD dude I'm not saying trade for Cowen. I'm just saying he's better than what a lot of people are saying.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:35 PM
BK201

Also I'm a huge oilers fan and do know what they need.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:35 PM
MrG
#BurgerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post

Yakupov is far better than both of them.

An injury prone 2nd pair defenceman with no offensive game and a potential #2 center for a potential #1 franchise winger, yea no thanks well keep Yakupov you can keep your guys.
In these threads: Oiler fans over valuing their precious wingers, and under valuing everything else.

It's getting ridiculous now that proposals like Cowen/Zibanejad are being shot down like it's 2 plugs being offered.

Add a first, and Cowen/Zib/1st is possibly one of the best packages that could be offered for one of the Oilers wingers. MacT would be absolutely insane to dismiss it as quickly as this armchair has.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Neatman

Bottom line:
Why would the Oilers trade a 23 yo 34 goal scorer, or one of 3 potential franchise players, for a Dman who has yet to play at a top pairing level. Cowen is a lovely piece to have, but he would basically have to already be a top notch #2D to even be worth Eberle, the LEAST valuable of the big 4.

34 goal scorer > top4 D. Even if he's big... Youre welcome to compare the number of players in the league capable of scoring 34 goals in a season to the number of top 4 D if you disagree. Ill be here waiting.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 06-11-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old
06-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
In these threads: Oiler fans over valuing their precious wingers, and under valuing everything else.

It's getting ridiculous now that proposals like Cowen/Zibanejad are being shot down like it's 2 plugs being offered.

Add a first, and Cowen/Zib/1st is possibly one of the best packages that could be offered for one of the Oilers wingers. MacT would be absolutely insane to dismiss it as quickly as this armchair has.
That Cowen/Zib/1st package is an overpay for Eberle. Imo I doubt I would let any of the 3 first overalls go for that. In terms of making a short term winning team, it would be wise to make that trade and give up Yakupov, but in terms of value Edmonton would be losing. I expect in a couple years those three players will be 3 of the top players in the league.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Puritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Bottom line:
Why would the Oilers trade a 23 yo 34 goal scorer, or one of 3 potential franchise players, for a Dman who has yet to play at a top pairing level. Cowen is a lovely piece to have, but he would basically have to already be a top notch #2D to even be worth Eberle, the LEAST valuable of the big 4.

34 goal scorer > top4 D. Even if he's big... Youre welcome to compare the number of players in the league capable of scoring 34 goals in a season to the number of top 4 D if you disagree. Ill be here waiting.
People wont be satisfied until we accept whatever offer they propose. If we decline, clearly we are {Mod Edit} homers.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 06-11-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old
06-11-2013, 09:01 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
People wont be satisfied until we accept whatever offer they propose. If we decline, clearly we are {Mod Edit} homers.
People don't actually think Cowen is worth an Eberle or a Yakupov. People make stupid proposals when they feel the other fanbase are being homers. Both fanbases have been homers. Both fan bases make bad proposals and it snowballs.

Someone said Cowen and Zibanejad were a potential second liner and a bottom pairing D, but no one can minimize an oiler not even MPS.

It's just fighting both ways. Both have been bad.

Either way I'm out of this thread. There's nothing here that makes sense for either team.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I could only make it about 3 pages into this thread before I needed to close my laptop and just walk away.

Seriously: no more Sens-Oilers proposals. Each side seems to have an entirely different guideline when evaluating both roster players and prospects.
I find it funny, how both our fanbases seem to get along reasonably well and I think most Oiler fans would prefer Ottawa to win the Stanley Cup over any other eastern Canadian team on top of the fact we share a mutual hatred for the leafs, but when it comes to trade proposals between the two teams it always turns into a gong show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG

Try being on the wrong side of quality for quantity deals for 20+ years and you will understand why Oiler fans aren't keen on watching any of their young stars be traded for a variety of good pieces. Even in deals where it looks like your getting good young players back can often turn sour when one or two pieces don't turn out as well as you would like, it would be nice if we had just one that turned out as well as the Yashin trade did for you guys. When you guys trade someone as good as Wayne Gretzky and the best player you get back is Martin Gelinas or you trade someone of Doug Weight's calibre and the best player you get back is Jochan Hecht, you might understand how we feel on the subject.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Puritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
I find it funny, how both our fanbases seem to get along reasonably well and I think most Oiler fans would prefer Ottawa to win the Stanley Cup over any other eastern Canadian team on top of the fact we share a mutual hatred for the leafs, but when it comes to trade proposals between the two teams it always turns into a gong show.
I don't want this to sound inflammatory, because I don't mean it to be, it's just the truth. HF Sens fans have soured me on their team. I used to like the Sens and I would have cheered them on against anyone other than the Oil. After reading countless proposals on these boards and all the insults made me do a giant 180. I'm sure a lot of them started to hate us too after all these threads. People should learn to smarten up and not make proposals between these teams, it never ends well.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:28 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
That's because it's impossible for us to hold on to all 4. Just ask almost anyone on HF. It doesn't matter that other teams pay their top 4 forwards similar amounts to the Oilers big 4's projected cost. For some reason, one of them absolutely must be moved. And moved in a deal for a package of lesser parts because depth. Apparently depth is impossible to get without trading a recent 1st overall pick or a guy who scored 34g/76p as a 21yo.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Puritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
That's because it's impossible for us to hold on to all 4. Just ask almost anyone on HF. It doesn't matter that other teams pay their top 4 forwards similar amounts to the Oilers big 4's projected cost. For some reason, one of them absolutely must be moved. And moved in a deal for a package of lesser parts because depth. Apparently depth is impossible to get without trading a recent 1st overall pick or a guy who scored 34g/76p as a 21yo.
Nailed it on the head. Doesn't matter how many times we show that, people still parrot the same crap about not being able to afford them. And even more frustrating, is being told that we're homers, stupid, etc. for not moving one of the kids for lesser parts because of depth. As if trading a future stud is the best way to acquire those pieces.

Closed Thread