HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

La Quinta Team Meetings

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The media doesn't have to blow anything up 500% in this town. We take care of that right here.
Yeah, the NY media really doesn't go A-Rod/Tebow/Rex Ryan about the Rangers very often. If anything, coverage of the Rangers seems to get sacrificed for baseball and football stuff on a regular basis.

I think Guess What may have confused the 'media' with this forum.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Silence Of The Plams
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Yeah, the NY media really doesn't go A-Rod/Tebow/Rex Ryan about the Rangers very often. If anything, coverage of the Rangers seems to get sacrificed for baseball and football stuff on a regular basis.

I think Guess What may have confused the 'media' with this forum.
Barb was right, you came to argue. I don't understand, maybe you don't pay attention to everything to do with the team. But Someone posted a link, and you pretty much ignored it because you couldn't argue with it.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Barb was right, you came to argue. I don't understand, maybe you don't pay attention to everything to do with the team. But Someone posted a link, and you pretty much ignored it because you couldn't argue with it.
Looks like you still want to argue! Let's just agree to disagree here and move on.

Someone posted a google search of Mark Messier (which included links like the Mark Messier Wikipedia page!)...if you think that means the NY media sensationalizes everything regarding the Rangers...well, I will defend your right to think that if you like!

I disagree, however. My perception is that the New York HOCKEY media (that's what we're discussing, after all) does not sensationalize to the extent you are claiming. If anything, their coverage of the Rangers seems pretty soft...and at times non-existent!

So this is my perception versus your perception. Neither of us is right, and neither of us is wrong. Let's move on.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:01 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Looks like you still want to argue! Let's just agree to disagree here and move on.

Someone posted a google search of Mark Messier (which included links like the Mark Messier Wikipedia page!)...if you think that means the NY media sensationalizes everything regarding the Rangers...well, I will defend your right to think that if you like!

I disagree, however. My perception is that the New York HOCKEY media (that's what we're discussing, after all) does not sensationalize to the extent you are claiming. If anything, their coverage of the Rangers seems pretty soft...and at times non-existent!

So this is my perception versus your perception. Neither of us is right, and neither of us is wrong. Let's move on.
Actually it was a Google news search filled with hundreds of articles which at the very least mention Messier wanting to coach the Rangers.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Actually it was a Google news search filled with hundreds of articles which at the very least mention Messier wanting to coach the Rangers.
...because Messier stated he wants to coach the Rangers, which will lead to people reporting it and discussing it...and lots of results on a google search. But our discussion was about the New York media, not google searches.

The New York Post and New York Daily news have not sensationalized Messier's candidacy at all. They've really underplayed it.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Silence Of The Plams
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
...because Messier stated he wants to coach the Rangers, which will lead to people reporting it and discussing it...and lots of results on a google search. But our discussion was about the New York media, not google searches.

The New York Post and New York Daily news have not sensationalized Messier's candidacy at all. They've really underplayed it.
Masses of articles say otherwise. This started because someone said that the NY sports media doesn't do anything to be objective. Hundreds of the same thing and baseless rumors from sources are not objective.

Also, In response again to you...

I find it rather alarming that you are interested in me so much that you, yourself close the argument and then take it up again today.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Masses of articles say otherwise. This started because someone said that the NY sports media doesn't do anything to be objective. Hundreds of the same thing and baseless rumors from sources are not objective.
Time to say I just completely disagree with everything you're saying (and, apparently, your entire point of view here) and move on.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:11 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Maybe it's Sather's idea. Maybe Messier never considered coaching until Sather came to him with the idea?

Just spitballing here....
I think Rangers deliberately send the Mess-Gretz news out to probe the public opinion as well as to keep attention to otherwise unnoticeable franchise.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:54 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

too lazy/tired to read through, any updates coming from the meetings?

Old
06-11-2013, 11:08 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The funny thing about these people diminishing the role/importance of the media are the same people who hit refresh every 30 secs on twitter for updates on trades, updates, drafts, firings, hirings etc.

They get paid to cover the team to provide information to the public. The team has a responsibility to provide it to them. Thats why teams (whoa surprise surprise) have media relations depts, PR departments and communications departments.

The Yankees have been and always will be the gold standard when it comes to providing the media (and subsequently the real people who matter -- the fans) with round-the-clock access to their team. Cashman made more public statements about his affair and divorce than Torts did about the entire 2012 postseason.

It's a trade off: athletes make millions of dollars because they provide millions of people with entertainment. Without the people, there's no money, and without the athletes there's no entertainment. Symbiosis.

After Sather was hired in 2000, he was a parrot. He was all over town, chatting with everybody, talking about everything. Then the losing became commonplace and he vanished.

Dolan could care less. The Rangers sell out every night and have generated playoff revenue in 7 of 8 seasons. They're a cash cow for him no matter how many Reddens he has in the minors. You think Dolan says "well the only reason why the Rangers are competitive is Lundqvist!" To Dolan, Sather's moves -- right, wrong or indifferent -- have made him millions. He's not going to change that.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:12 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Saying Messier is interested in the job is not sensationalism.

Saying Messier is the front runner for the job is.

Not one legitimate news source has said Messier is the front runner/favorite.

Lots of beans being shot on this thread.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:17 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
And somehow Prust was an one-of-a-kind irreplaceable player.

Pierre McGuire kept talking about how the Bruins were killing the Rangers on the fourth line. I think that was a bit of a nit as the Bruins were killing the Rangers across the board, to me. But look at that fourth line. Is there a unique player on their fourth line? Not to me.
Not one

Old
06-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post

Dregger said it, check out tsn

Old
06-11-2013, 11:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

What did Dreger say?

On June 1,Dreger was asked by James Duthie about Messier becoming coach of the Rangers. Dreger said "that is unlikely".

Old
06-11-2013, 11:54 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What did Dreger say?

On June 1,Dreger was asked by James Duthie about Messier becoming coach of the Rangers. Dreger said "that is unlikely".
Dreger actually said "most believe Mark Messier is the top candidate to replace John Tortorella" on today's insider trading.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

On the side.

06-12-2013, 12:26 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post

Strongest statement to date:

NHL INSIDER - June 11th - Darren Dreger:
Quote:
"...most believe Mark Messier is the top candidate to replace John Torterella..."
http://video.tsn.ca/#?dl=nhl-latest/.../944925/clip/0

(Brian Boyle/Inferno beat me to it...actual link to video above).

Now we need to analyze what "most people" actually means. "Most people (who scream "shoot" at MSG/have purchased Cold-FX) believe Mark Messier is the top candidate" is 100% factual.

Last edited by frozenrubber: 06-12-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old
06-12-2013, 06:58 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

"Most people" could very well be friends of Messier, uninformed sources, etc.

Again, no beat writer editorialized that he was the favorite. They reported what they heard, and attributed it as such.

If Dreger said...."Messier is the favorite" then we'd have something to harp on. But like most good journalists, he clearly stated that it was not his opinion and probably unfounded.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Dreger actually said "most believe Mark Messier is the top candidate to replace John Tortorella" on today's insider trading.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

On the side.
That's because many people believe Sather will have a hard time turning down Messier as coach based on their history together. Its not based on reason.

Are the most people the same people who told Dreger on May 29th that Messier wanted the job? Doug Messier?

Sather can't get this hiring wrong. How long will Sather be around anyway? You keep reading about Sather stepping away from the day to day decisions as GM.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Ola

These guys scrambles to find something to say at times too. It wouldn't be the first time I heard them say something that just wasn't in touch with reality.

But, if Dreger had thought it through, which we don't know, the only reasonable way to interpret what he is saying -- in that context -- is as if the people who knows this situation best, outside the ones inside the loop, believes that Messier will get the job. Ie the GM's, agents, coaching candidates and co he talks with.

That is not good for us who does not want Mess coaching this team.

But like I said, he might just have said something he had not thought true. And really have ment something like "Messier is the candidate everyone mentions" or something like that.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:38 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
The fans who had a rally to get the man fired wants to know why he won't talk much to them.......hmmmm
He's been a dick like that LOOOONG before the rally.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:24 AM
pld459666

I think that over the years I have made my feeling regarding Messier pretty straight.

I dispised the way he handled his departure from the Rangers in 97. In my view this was a straight money grab. He was offered the same contract Gretzky received and he bolted for 20 Million Guaranteed and 30 Mill overall if he stayed with Vancouver for the full 5 years.

My preference was that he didn't come back. I would have preferred that the team go in a different direction but that was not to be. While I do not believe that Mark Messier verbally demanded prime ice time, I don't think that he HAD to verbalize it. This is/was Mark Messier afterall, a 1st Ballot Hall of Famer still playing the game. If he's in the line up, he's going to get prime minutes.

I have stated my disdain for the man on numerous occassions and will continue to do so when talking about that part of Rangers history.

That said, I have started to come around on Mark Messier the Head Coach.

I share in the belief that most Great players make for very bad coaches because during their playing days they never really had to think the game. Talent is innate to them and knowing what to do and where to be is second nature. And while Mark Messier is a great player in that vein, he is also a great player in the sense of knowing his responsibilities defensively.

I think that that is what may seperate him from some other great players that have failed as Head Coaches. Similar to Jacques Lemiare. Lemaire was a top notch player in his own right. Just under a point a game average. Scored 30+ goals 6 times. Has 139pts in 145 playoff games. Yet Lemaire was a GREAT defensive player. He understood the game from the back end which I believe helps you understand how to formulate an attack from the defensive position.

Mark Messier was an above average defensive player. He's not an offensive only player that never had to think the game. He's a hybrid in the sense that he could have been one of the greats on just his offence, but it's the whole package that makes him a very VIABLE option when it comes to coaching.

Would I have preferred that he have some experience under his belt before taking the reins? Yes, but I have been wanting this team to think outside the box. Going after re-tread HC after retread HC in my opinion is not the way to go.

AV had a stacked team in Vancouver and couldn't get the job done. What can we expect from him on a team that is much less than stacked? A better job?

Ruff by all accounts, lost his top stars at various times during his tenure in Buffalo. I had two guys in the office yesterday that live in Buffalo and are die hard Sabres fans and they liken his tenure in Buffalo to a guy not getting fired because he was a nice guy, not because of the on ice product.

Bylsma finally had to work a series and got worked. He's had the best player in the world and arguably the 2nd best player in the world throughout his tenure in Pitt and aside from the CUP, he's been a dissapointment behind the bench getting beat in the following 4 years by three very inferior teams in Montreal, Tampa Bay and Philidelphia. It very well could be argued that this Bruins team was also inferior, but they way the Bruins have played since round one, I wouldn't put stock into that statement.

I'm not saying that Messier is by any stretch the hands down best option. But if we are looking for a fresh approach by a guy that can formulate an attach while understanding and respecting the defensive aspect of the game, I am starting to believe that Mark Messier is not such a bad choice at all.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Crease

The same conversation is taking place in the stickied coaching vacancy thread. Let's continue there, but feel free to start a new thread should non-coach related news comes out of La Quinta.

Closed Thread