HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Plane crash in NYC

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2006, 11:00 PM
romba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
Absolutely shocking. He's survived by a wife and 6 year old son. It's so sad that his son will have so very few precious memories of his dad. RIP Corey.

Old
10-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Broad st phantom

he had a good run with the phillies and sent to the yankees, but i always like his personality. I remember when espn made a big deal about him speaking out aganist bonds, classic. Death always sucks, i wish the best for his family.

Old
10-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
That is the part that struck me the most today. To know that the whole world knows of the death of Cory Lidle and that his wife and son didn't really struck me as horrible. I have no way of knowing, but I truly hope that someone in a position of authority contacted his family members in California prior to them hearing of Cory's death on the news, but I don't know.

I was thinking the worst obviously when I first heard the news that a plane had crashed into NYC and I was saddened to learn of the identity of Lidle, but I'm very happy for the people of the City of New York that the plane crash was not an act of terrorism.

I remember first watching Lidle as a replacement player in the Mets organization and watching him in Spring Training. I've loosely followed his career since, but was happy for him to go back to New York this season.

My thoughts are with the family of Cory Lidle and especially with his 6 year-old son who will grow up with only limited memories of his father. Also I would like to express my condolences to the family members of the other victims of this accident and wish a speedy recovery to the many people that were injured from the falling debris.

Old
10-12-2006, 01:22 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Unreal.

I thought of Munson right away, former Yankees, flying out of NY.

Then when I found out that his wife and son didn't even know, I felt like crap.

On the live feeds, Bloomberg did a very respectful thing. He knew that Lidle's name was leaked, but he held out of saying anything until his family was notified.

I just couldn't believe it.

I wonder what opening night at the stadium is going to be like next season...

And that makes me wonder what that night was like on August 2nd 1979 at the stadium...

It's really scary...

Old
10-12-2006, 01:49 AM
Edge

There is a lot here that is really really sad.

This morning when it happened I thought "Oh Lord not again" followed by "Man NY just can't catch a break this decade" and just amazement at what had happened.

At lunch when it was Corey Lidle it just blew me away. I guess part of me was wondering what the odds were. I mean plane crashing into a building in NYC is big news to begin with, but what are the odds it'd be Corey Lidle. Something about that really blew me away.

As I said earlier, I always like Lidle.

In 1997 he was this guy who worked hard and made the Mets. Coming off years in which Wilson, Isringhausen and Pulshipher were star, ace prospects, Lidle was the underdog who was never a top prospect and made it.

He had a solid season and there was just something I liked about him. I kept track him over the years, there was just something about it. He was never the best pitcher but you knew he was a guy who just worked hard to get where he was and I admired that.

There is just something especially sad when you hear about how he died. It wasn't drugs or alcohol or the vices so many pampered sports stars get into. Cory was doing what he loved and something I've enjoyed doing myself over the years.

To find out his wife and kid didn't even know, I have to admit that seriously chokes me up a bit. No one should ever have that happen and there is something very devastating to here that the country and a large chunk of the world knew before they did is really sad.

To lose someone under those conditions and essentially to have the whole world see the fire, the remains of the plane and the body being carried away is really wrong and sad.

I'm just shocked and my heart breaks for the family.

Old
10-12-2006, 02:01 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Not a Yankee/baseball fan at all...but RIP. Best wishes to his family, friends and fans . I'm still pretty young and I can't even imagine losing a close friend or even worse my mother, father or sister.

Old
10-12-2006, 09:53 AM
cooper7d7

Peace...

...to all those involved, their families and friends, and the community.

As an aside, what was a plane doing over Manhattan? I thought NYC was a no fly zone with exceptions for helicopters and the Laguardia flight path?

Old
10-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Hartford HockeyFan

This is very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those involved; friends, families, and teammates.

R.I.P. Cory Lidle.

Old
10-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Its a PP Goal

Tragic, heartbreaking news.

I remember I was happy when the Yankees acquired him. He wasn't a superstar but he was already good enough to be in our rotation. Not a player blessed with great stuff, he was a hard working, crafty pitcher who managed to make a living in the big leagues for a decade. Its a nice story when you think about it, a replacement player getting an opportunity during the strike year and making the most out of it.

Now all I can think about is his family.

Old
10-12-2006, 01:31 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
That is the part that struck me the most today. To know that the whole world knows of the death of Cory Lidle and that his wife and son didn't really struck me as horrible. I have no way of knowing, but I truly hope that someone in a position of authority contacted his family members in California prior to them hearing of Cory's death on the news, but I don't know.
That is heartbreaking to think that his wife and daughter had no idea while the majority of the country had already heard/seen the news. That being said, I did see a report that the means was there to contact them and let them know, but the smart move was to wait until the plane had landed. I'm sure there were people on site to notify them.

Old
10-12-2006, 01:44 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Have a little respect and compassion.

10-12-2006, 01:50 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post