HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread Part II (assigned to Québec)

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 11:15 PM
wunderpanda
enter PHo Botts

vCash: 500
*bump*

Just wondering how everyone feels about Grigs lately. His name gets thrown around a lot on the trade board and it made me curious. Are people already giving up on him? Wasn't that long ago he was going to be our franchise centre and now he is an add in for trade proposals, almost an afterthought.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:18 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

If he gets traded for a "more sure thing," whether that's a proven top 6 guy like O'Reilly, or in a package for #1st overall, fine. If he actually earns a spot in camp, fine. If he has to go back to juniors again like most 12th overall picks, fine.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:19 PM
SlugLife978

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
*bump*

Just wondering how everyone feels about Grigs lately. His name gets thrown around a lot on the trade board and it made me curious. Are people already giving up on him? Wasn't that long ago he was going to be our franchise centre and now he is an add in for trade proposals, almost an afterthought.
The reason he's thrown into so many proposals is because he's second only to Myers in terms of value. We don't want to give him away, but we understand that you have to give value to get value.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:37 AM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Hold until the trade deadline, package for O'Reilly.

If the Sabres get a center in the 2013 draft at 8 or earlier, they'll need a two-way center to go with Hodgson and the newly drafted center. Avs might lose Stastny, and Sherman might not want to deal with O'Reilly in another contract dispute. Works for Colorado, as Roy can pair Grigorenko with Duchesne as their 1-2 C combo into the future.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:59 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Hold until the trade deadline, package for O'Reilly.

If the Sabres get a center in the 2013 draft at 8 or earlier, they'll need a two-way center to go with Hodgson and the newly drafted center. Avs might lose Stastny, and Sherman might not want to deal with O'Reilly in another contract dispute. Works for Colorado, as Roy can pair Grigorenko with Duchesne as their 1-2 C combo into the future.
The O'Reilly ship has sailed with Sakic and Roy taking over.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The O'Reilly ship has sailed with Sakic and Roy taking over.
I'm not sure. Colorado fans on the trade board a few weeks ago aren't certain as to the direction they will go at center.

If Roy enjoyed coaching Grigorenko, it's not out of the question.

Old
11-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Beerz

Martin Biron ‏@martybiron43 16m

To translate my last tweet. @StephRDSJunior said he talked to a source who confirm Grigorenko would be going back to juniors.

Old
11-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
And there we have it.

11-18-2013, 09:01 PM
couture23

I hope Patty had a nice talk with him.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:02 PM
26CornerBlitz

How to mishandle a top prospect by the Buffalo Sabres

Old
11-18-2013, 09:04 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CornerBlitz View Post
Yes, sending a player back to juniors who is not an average NHL player is mishandling. What happened in the Darcy regime has nothing to do with now.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I hope Patty had a nice talk with him.
Considering Pat knows a thing or two about playing and being a dominant force in the Q, Grigorenko should be listening to whatever he can.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:06 PM
PlamsUnlimited
The Juice is Loose

vCash: 919
Needed... he wasn't able to do much of anything here more than a flash or two. Hope he gets his dominance up and then if he comes up again he may have something to share that makes the team better.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:14 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CornerBlitz View Post
That would be by Darcy Regier

How to try and fix the mishandling of a top prospect.

By the new management/coach.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Better late than never I suppose, but hot damn do I wish he could play in the AHL.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
Better late than never I suppose, but hot damn do I wish he could play in the AHL.
on one hand, they burned through 2 years of his first contract, on the other, he hasn't done a damn thing, so I can't imagine it really matters much.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

The AHL is the perfect league for him, but if Nolan doesn't see a spot for him (and claims not to want to play teenagers) the next best option is the Q, rather than 4th line treatment and being a healthy scratch. It's unfortunate he can't go back with Roy as the head coach, but if Biron's tweet is true then I wonder how the LaFontaine connection with a former Sabre (Philippe Boucher is now the coach/GM, played parts of three years with Patty in 92-95) played into it. There were reports a few hours ago saying there had been no contact, but I'd imagine they'd know if they were getting Grigs back. Going to the World Juniors will be good for him again, and I will give him credit for being pretty tough mentally about the whole thing. He's gone back and forth between two totally different leagues quite a few times now, and he has always performed well in the Q, just hasn't caught on in the big leagues. It's also easy to forget he's 19 and has played 40 NHL games over two years, plenty of room to be patient.

I don't know enough about the Q to know if he's a legitimate trade option for Quebec. I remember there being some roster complications last season from having a certain number of import players - not sure if that would still be the case or how it applies.

edit: This article (link) says that the Remparts have Nick Sorensen and Fabrice Herzog, so their two import slots are filled and they'll have to trade one of them to put Grigs on the active roster. Those two happen to be 3rd and 4th in team scoring, too, so that's kind of a weird situation for them.

Last edited by Sean McG: 11-18-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old
11-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffTime View Post
on one hand, they burned through 2 years of his first contract, on the other, he hasn't done a damn thing, so I can't imagine it really matters much.
I think it makes a risk of him going to the KHL greater...

I mean lets face it when his contract expires he's not going to warrant a hefty raise... Perfect opportunity for the KHL to swoop in and offer crazy money.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Things I would like to see, regardless of what team he is on in the Q:

- Show up. Having watched him enough over the last two and a half years, he needs to bring his talents shift to shift, not every now and then.
- Strive to own the puck. When the other team has possession, make it personal to get it back and take over.
- Dominate. And I don't mean "WGR Reading a Stat Line" dominating, but actually going out there and being a force other teams can not easily contain on any given night. He's 19 now, the second year after being drafted. Play like other 19-year olds with high-end talent -- take over when on the ice.
- Go to the WJC's and perform like he did before hurting his ankle and better.

The opportunity is there for the taking. Let's see him take it and skate with it.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

I mean lets face it when his contract expires he's not going to warrant a hefty raise... Perfect opportunity for the KHL to swoop in and offer crazy money.
Honestly, if he goes to the KHL 1.) he was probably going to leave eventually anyways 2.) his career is basically in ruins at that point because it means he couldn't cut it in the NHL.

At this point, in my opinion, sending him to the Q is a way to save his career is that he can both grow more into his body, and also hopefully learn to compete and regain his confidence. If he does those things, maybe he can go to the NHL level or spend a little time in the AHL next year, and be called up.

If you look at him, he has skill, but he really does just coast out there, he needs his killer instinct. He's either going to figure it out, or he won't and then he's a draft bust with insane skills. Regier almost ruined this poor kid, mostly out of desperation. Hopefully they can build him back up and get him back here by this time next year.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
The AHL is the perfect league for him, but if Nolan doesn't see a spot for him (and claims not to want to play teenagers) the next best option is the Q, rather than 4th line treatment and being a healthy scratch. It's unfortunate he can't go back with Roy as the head coach, but if Biron's tweet is true then I wonder how the LaFontaine connection with a former Sabre (Philippe Boucher is now the coach/GM, played parts of three years with Patty in 92-95) played into it. There were reports a few hours ago saying there had been no contact, but I'd imagine they'd know if they were getting Grigs back.

I don't know enough about the Q to know if he's a legitimate trade option for Quebec. I remember there being some roster complications last season from having a certain number of import players - not sure if that would still be the case or how it applies.
CHL teams are limited to playing 2 European imports. Quebec had Kucherov and Grigorenko and also highly regarded Sorenson. They dealt Kucherov. They still have Sorenson and also Fabrice Herzog. So if he's going to Quebec, someone has to go. It could very well be MG.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

Eh, all the work he's put in here in North America.... I find it hard to believe that he'll leave after next season. For all his foibles, jumping ship doesn't seem to be one of them.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Wouldn't worry about him leaving until after his 2nd contract. If he hasn't at least shown glimpses that's worth a few million by then who cares?

I wish there was another alternative but this is expected. Darcy got his first taste of drafting an elite talent since Vanek and blew his wad and hoped that Grigorenko could be step right in and produce.

Any GM (and coach) that felt a player should be handed a roster spot because he looks good in a lockout shortened training camp when half his teammates hadn't played Hockey all year is clueless.

Even being benched he didn't lose many games of experience last year and still got in WJC time. This year he's only lost 11 games of experience and will once again get WJC time. So the reality is he hasn't lost any time because of all of this and should have picked up valuable experience in the meantime. It's up to him whether he can make any use of it.

The main problem however is that going back to the Q will do nothing to help him become an NHL player. That wont happen until he gets bigger. He plays a cerebral game that will require him to bulk up and be able to hold on to the puck for longer than 0.25 seconds. Imagine Joe Thornton if he was 200 lbs. Oh wait he was and put up 7 points in a season. Maybe he can train with Andrew Peters in the off season. His real development will start next year in the AHL where he belongs.

Last edited by Moskau: 11-18-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old
11-18-2013, 09:46 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

This one is on Regier. It was his job to identify whether, or not Grigorenko was ready. Just another failure in many for Regier. I really hope they haven't ruined him.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:50 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Why isn't he eligible for the AHL? He played in the play offs.

Closed Thread