HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 07:30 AM
bad refs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Troy Ryan is the new Coach & GM of the MHL's Campbellton Tigers:

http://www.campbelltontigers.ca/2013...-for-tigers-2/
Not a big surprise there.... Troy is great Friends with the owner and I am sure will do a great job there. My bet is you will see marked improvement in the team and organization this year.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:56 AM
rantfather

TOMMIES LOSS is Campbelton's gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad refs View Post
Not a big surprise there.... Troy is great Friends with the owner and I am sure will do a great job there. My bet is you will see marked improvement in the team and organization this year.
Congratulations to TROY RYAN, I believe it to be a major loss for the rebuilding process which must be undertaken at STU.

Troy deserves this new opportunity and best wishes for the success that he deserves.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:23 AM
AUS Fan

I suppose it's not a quantum leap to assume that he had the job before he left STU?
Not saying that he did anything wrong. I'm happy for him in a situation where money is available and you can hire and fire players as the needs dictate. Unlike CIS, junior hockey is a business first and Troy has a wealth of experience there.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:08 AM
gulag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad refs View Post
great for troy and tigers organization.think he is just what they need in tigertown.hard to watch the train wreck at stu but hey everyone knows what the deal is there and until that problem is fixed nothing will change.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:54 PM
timbitca

Happy for Troy. I'm sure he'll do a good job near my hometown!

But... in the grand scheme of things, he's going from one coaching job with little to no resources to... a coaching job with little to no resources...

Old
06-12-2013, 03:55 PM
cookiecutter

Not a big Gleaner fan, but I could not believe the article calling for STU to fold the men's hockey program and give the money to the women's hockey program! Seems the women's program should be the flag ship of the school?

Old
06-12-2013, 04:03 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Men's hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
Not a big Gleaner fan, but I could not believe the article calling for STU to fold the men's hockey program and give the money to the women's hockey program! Seems the women's program should be the flag ship of the school?
I also didn't like it, as folding is the last thing that hockey fans in this city and Alumni want to hear!

Old
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
I also didn't like it, as folding is the last thing that hockey fans in this city and Alumni want to hear!
Nobody wants to hear it but it is an option. Is it even worth fighting for anymore? It is such a train wreck and everyone sees it but administration. Money is not the core problem. It is the complete mismanagement of resources, square peg in round hole type thing.

It is just sickening to even think about it.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:02 PM
rantfather

Imposing the "72 hour rule on my response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Nobody wants to hear it but it is an option. Is it even worth fighting for anymore? It is such a train wreck and everyone sees it but administration. Money is not the core problem. It is the complete mismanagement of resources, square peg in round hole type thing.

It is just sickening to even think about it.
In the interest of "TONING IT DOWN" and to not respond "HYSTERICALLY ",I.am taking pause for.serius sober second thought.

I am.being shot as the messager of the message as opposed to the focusing on the essence of the message.

I have neither read or seen said Gleaner article as I do.not subscribe to the Gleaner but will.attempt to familiarize myself with it.

I.believe that STU administration has given free hand to the current A/D to.dismantle the men's hockey program.which in some way explains why there has been.NO TRANSPARENCY nor ACCOUNTABILITY for many bad decisions.

- 30 -

Old
06-13-2013, 01:47 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
In the interest of "TONING IT DOWN" and to not respond "HYSTERICALLY ",I.am taking pause for.serius sober second thought.

I am.being shot as the messager of the message as opposed to the focusing on the essence of the message.

I have neither read or seen said Gleaner article as I do.not subscribe to the Gleaner but will.attempt to familiarize myself with it.

I.believe that STU administration has given free hand to the current A/D to.dismantle the men's hockey program.which in some way explains why there has been.NO TRANSPARENCY nor ACCOUNTABILITY for many bad decisions.

- 30 -
Couldn't be more wrong again Rantfather. If you have actually taken the time to talk to the players (which no one on hfboards but me has) about the team, they would tell you that Mike wants the team to succeed, that Mike is passionate about the program and that Mike let Troy run the team the way he wanted. No one here has ever spoken up for the players in green and gold to hear their actual side in all of this. Even players who never played a shift for Mike speak highly of him.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:02 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Couldn't be more wrong again Rantfather. If you have actually taken the time to talk to the players (which no one on hfboards but me has) about the team, they would tell you that Mike wants the team to succeed, that Mike is passionate about the program and that Mike let Troy run the team the way he wanted. No one here has ever spoken up for the players in green and gold to hear their actual side in all of this. Even players who never played a shift for Mike speak highly of him.
Well you couldn't be more wrong Snipeshow because I have heard and spoke to several players. The majority I spoke to were taking Mike's side, you are right. Not all and the one's that are firmly on Mike's side, should be if they were loyal at all.

I petty the incoming coach. The day after Troy resigned Leduc was back talking to Mike and Chermetiev looks to want to come back as well. There are two guys that were heart and sole guys that Troy obviously screwed over because they are the type that you build your program around.

This issue is polarizing everything in regards to hockey at STU. You are very obviously in Mike's camp, good for you. There is lots of dirt to go around and a lot of it falls at Mike's feet, like it or not.

Whatever…believe what you want.

Old
06-14-2013, 05:50 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
The more I think of it you have selective memory Snipeshow.

Quote:
How many times under Mike's reign did you hear this or similar?
He wanted out of Freddy Dodge.
So, he left St. Thomas University - after two losing seasons on Tommie teams with apparent chemistry problems - and returned to Saskatchewan, where he'll suit up for the University of Saskatchewan Huskies after redshirting last season.
"I was playing out east in New Brunswick, and things just weren't working out there," Dulle, a 5foot11, 190-pound right-winger from Craik, said Wednesday afternoon after a practice at Rutherford Rink.
"There were a number of things that weren't going well for the program. At the time, the decision I made was I thought it was best that I come here. I wanted to be closer to home and just try and establish myself here, and, also, there were a few cliques on the (Tommies) team that I wanted to get away from."
http://www2.canada.com/saskatoonstar...e-92eab6c6f49e

And he wasn't alone and we all know it. So, in other words some guys are going to stick up for Mike and some aren't. Some players are sticking up for Troy and some aren't.

The sad truth that cuts me to the core as a Tommies fan is this has been going on for years. People act like this problem at STU is new. Look at the facts…..what is the common denominator for the past 5 years? It bothers me greatly because the guy isn't all bad but that isn't helping out the situation hockey fans find themselves in.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:08 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
The more I think of it you have selective memory Snipeshow.

http://www2.canada.com/saskatoonstar...e-92eab6c6f49e

And he wasn't alone and we all know it. So, in other words some guys are going to stick up for Mike and some aren't. Some players are sticking up for Troy and some aren't.

The sad truth that cuts me to the core as a Tommies fan is this has been going on for years. People act like this problem at STU is new. Look at the facts…..what is the common denominator for the past 5 years? It bothers me greatly because the guy isn't all bad but that isn't helping out the situation hockey fans find themselves in.
How do I have SELECTED memory when i said the "players that I have talked too (who are my friends)" I as in singular and small sample size. C'mon STUTOMMIES, it's not like I'm so superfan who talks to EVERY player. Plus I work in junior and university hockey so I know how a dressing room works and people are going to stay silent to not upset the dicotomy of the dressing room.

And one player, OMG! Did I ever say Mike was perfect? No I didn't. I asked Mike for a higher position on the staff around year 5 to get into coaching and got turned down. I know why Dulles left, it's people personal choice if they mesh well with the coach or not.

They need to hire a coach quick so we can just end this saga. Cause I've have enough of it. Why can't we discuss the only exhibition game STU has announced and that's STU hosting RMC on October 5th!

Old
06-15-2013, 04:45 AM
cookiecutter

Folks, Please,
As a STU fan this is headed down the wrong road. All that has happened thus far is that a lot of people felt Mike was not leading the team to success as a coach and that was voiced here, myself being one of those people. I also felt that he should not be coach and AD. I did not have faith in him as AD, but that was my opinion, based upon observation, based upon very little interaction. Most of us threw our support behind Ryan. I did it by going to the games and supporting as a fan. I have no power to influence anything beyond that. Most people in the world of hockey would not be aware that this board even exists. Some of you are closer than that. It has been suggested that the Tommies take a year leave of absence. I totally disagree with that idea because it simply moves the team closer to extinction. I see no upside to it what so ever. It tells possible recruits that the team could go on or it could fold. What player would want to join a team under those circumstances. We need a coach and get back into the fold. Our goal needs to be to hit middle of the pack in three years. Not a big deal. I think there are several good coaches out there who want to coach the team. Where I think STU needs to go beyond this hiring, is to get a full understanding of Mike as AD, if they feel there may be some truth to the fact he is neutering the program......or not! Surely a University would be capable of problem solving how to do that via evaluations etc. Then I believe STU needs to make a strong statement of support to a continued hockey program. Finally, I hate to say this, or shut the program down now and take the fall out from the noise makers in the city. I believe they are going to start interviews soon, so make the statement that STU hockey is alive and doing well! Then we can get on with the important issue of guessing who will be the coach and who they will be recruiting.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:54 AM
RED ARMY EAST

New coach

So folks, let's get on with the positive, who will be the next coach?
Tatarnic,Bizz,Mcallister,Gregory,Tom Coolen?
Any other names thrown into the mix?

Snipe, who else is RMC playing if they are coming east?

Old
06-15-2013, 08:22 AM
cookiecutter

Let the guessing game begin
1. Would it be a far jump to look at the women's coaching staff making the jump to men's hockey. Gleaner guy speaks highly of him. He has been there a dozen years so he must get along with Eagles. I know they are looking at nationals next year, but this would be a full time coaching position.

2. Bizz is local and has connections in the city and is well respected. Plus he played in the Tommy years and know what it takes.

3. The ex-Slammer coach is only available because of economic reasons.

What is the thoughts on these folks?

Old
06-15-2013, 12:33 PM
cishockeyfan

Have no idea of his interest level or if he even applied, but if Tom Coolen is in the mix if anyone is going to bring in big name recruits quickly its him, he was the Master of it at Acadia in the 90's

Old
06-15-2013, 06:02 PM
AUS Fan

Tommy is a fun guy, but not the guy you want at this juncture. He is not going to bring in big name recruits to STU. At Acadia he had oodles of moola back then. He wouldn't have it now. STU needs a grounded, reasonable coach who has a solid 3 or 5 year plan to get the team back in contention. To even MAKE the playoffs, STU has to beat out 2 teams. Anyway, however it goes, I hope it's in the right direction.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:24 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Snipe, who else is RMC playing if they are coming east?
We play UQTR on thursday night in UQTR (October 3rd) on the way to the east coast and just have one game in the Maritimes vs STU saturday. We are doing stuff at CFB Gagetown on friday evening cause of a lot of our cadet graduates live in Oromocto.

For an exhibition game, pretty decent storylines. Half our team is from the East Coast or played in the QMJHL or MHL, RMC head coach Adam Shell was a finalist to the STU job to Troy Ryan in 2011, and the ex-STU grad in myself who used to film the games for Eagles without getting a chance to move up and coach, now getting that opportunity to coach against the old school.

Old
06-17-2013, 07:28 PM
rantfather

Quote:

- 30 -
72 hours are up!

Since my previous posting of my favorite rant,there have been 3180 views of that thread with far fewer contribution of opinions on this subject.
I have exhausted my points on the.matter and am assuming that I am.nearly the only one wishing a "review of this situation" by administration.
I have NOT given up.the fight but will.ponder enlisting other authorities to reveal the facts of this situation publically.

Stay tuned for other developments as they unfold.

-30-

Old
06-17-2013, 09:19 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
72 hours are up!

Since my previous posting of my favorite rant,there have been 3180 views of that thread with far fewer contribution of opinions on this subject.
I have exhausted my points on the.matter and am assuming that I am.nearly the only one wishing a "review of this situation" by administration.
I have NOT given up.the fight but will.ponder enlisting other authorities to reveal the facts of this situation publically.

Stay tuned for other developments as they unfold.

-30-
This OBSESSION with nothingness is getting to the almost creepy and in need of some therapy. And you are right, you are the only one who cares about such a non issue. I figure the coach search and lack of recruits would tickle your fancy.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:57 AM
Rob

Has any deadline been set for a new coach to be hired?

Old
06-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Nick Murray

On a positive note

Thought I'd share this post. Kenya Marcelline started writing for Women's Hockey Life (womenshockeylife.com) and this is her first post: http://www.womenshockeylife.com/blog...d=1022&CatId=2

I should also add that she's a prospective J-School student (you apply in 2nd year-1st semester).

Not a bad read. Perhaps some of the Tommies faithful would like to throw support in the comments section of the post?

Old
06-20-2013, 09:48 PM
SnipeShow91

I don't want to read TOO much into it, but it appears that STU Head Coach candidate Seamus Gregory may not have gotten the job. He's looking to hire a part time assistant coach at his team in Williston State. Here is the link to the job application. http://www.ahcahockey.com/jobs/

Old
06-22-2013, 02:20 PM
STUTOMMIES

It is down to four now. Should find out on Monday.

Closed Thread