HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT - Who Owns The Montreal Maroons Today?

Old
10-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
OT - Who Owns The Montreal Maroons Today?

Hey, I was staring at the screen and this question came to my mind.

Who owns the intellectual property of the Montreal Maroons today? Is it the Habs?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 09:14 AM
AH

vCash: 500
Which then begs the question, where are the Maroons two Stanley Cup banners hanging?

If the Habs do own the rights, then why aren't they at the Bell Centre?

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

I notice that the NHL is selling vintage Maroons stuff, so somebody somewhere must own them.

Perhaps it's the league, I don't know.

Old
10-12-2006, 09:50 AM
ohiohabsfan

I believe the league owns the trademark rights on all of the "defunct" teams.

ohiohabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Montrealer

Len Peto was the last man to take control of the dormant franchise, trying to get it moved to Philadelphia back in 1946-47. Apparently the league gave him until the end of that season to find a suitable arena, which he was unable to do.

I've also read that the Maroons were merged into the Canadiens during WWII.

So, either the Habs or the NHL itself probably holds the team's rights. I'd guess the league, and I'd *guess* that if any Cup banners ever existed the league or the HHOF holds them.

I've also read that the Westmount Arena has the banners for the Victorias, though it's not clear whether they're just reproductions or why they would have them in the first place.

Edit: Great question, btw. We should write the league and ask them.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Coco Fever

[QUOTE=

I've also read that the Westmount Arena has the banners for the Victorias, though it's not clear whether they're just reproductions or why they would have them in the first place.

Edit: Great question, btw. We should write the league and ask them.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the banners (not the original though) are in Westmount arena...with the Montreal AAA banners too. The rink the Maroons played on was where the Westmount arena was built.

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Gros Bill

You should ask McPhee. He was a player-coach with the Maroons for the first few years.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:24 AM
optimus2861

It would be a nice gesture by the Canadiens during their 100th anniversary celebrations to pay tribute to the Maroons, Wanderers, Victorias, Shamrocks, and AAA Stanley Cup champions. Perhaps they could wear a form of each team's uniform for one home game and display the appropriate Stanley Cup banners as well.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
It would be a nice gesture by the Canadiens during their 100th anniversary celebrations to pay tribute to the Maroons, Wanderers, Victorias, Shamrocks, and AAA Stanley Cup champions. Perhaps they could wear a form of each team's uniform for one home game and display the appropriate Stanley Cup banners as well.
I thought of something like that, hence the question.

Those teams were not the Habs, matter of fact some of them were rivals of the Habs, but they're not entirely NOT the Habs either. They played in this city, some of them came before the Habs and lead the way.

Old
10-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Thibaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohabsfan View Post
I believe the league owns the trademark rights on all of the "defunct" teams.
I am not sure about that. I think that the Nordiques belongs to the Avalanche, the Jets to the Coyotes, etc.

And there is at least one exception: I think that the Whalers belongs to the city of Hartford (and this is why you can't use Whalers jerseys in hockey video games when you take Carolina, because they don't have the rights.)

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

the Montreal Maroons still exist!

but in minor hockey (Pee Wee AA, Bantam AA, Midget AA and Midget Espoir!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:08 PM
pavlako11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibaj View Post
I am not sure about that. I think that the Nordiques belongs to the Avalanche, the Jets to the Coyotes, etc.

And there is at least one exception: I think that the Whalers belongs to the city of Hartford (and this is why you can't use Whalers jerseys in hockey video games when you take Carolina, because they don't have the rights.)
I think that's different though because the team was purchased and the owner changed the name, where as the Maroons just went bankrupt.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
_____
I played for the minor league Montreal Maroons. They used to be situated in NDG before merging with the Ville-Emard Hurricanes to become the Montreal Hurons (not a good team name to have when playing against a first nations team lemme tell ya). Mario Lemieux used to play for the Hurricanes when he was a kid. I missed him by five years or so (thank god, because I was a goalie).
yup, they then became the Norois de Montreal before changing back to the Maroons in 97 or 98 i believe. In Midget Espoir they play their home games not to far from NDG.. Bill Durnan arena (rue Vezina, just east of Decarie)

Old
10-12-2006, 01:15 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
Yes, the banners (not the original though) are in Westmount arena...with the Montreal AAA banners too. The rink the Maroons played on was where the Westmount arena was built.
No, the old Montreal Arena was at Wood/Ste-Catherine, where Westmount Square is today. It burned down in 1918 and took many of the surrounding houses with it. It was the home of the Wanderers. The guy who owned the Wanderers had plenty of enemies. Sam Lichtenstein or something was his name. He also owned the first version of the Montreal Royals baseball team. They used to play at a baseball park where Alexis Nihon Plaza now stands, but that was burned to the ground too. Where the Forum is now, it used to be a park. It was a legendary park because a lot of famous hockey legends played hockey there: Art Ross, Lester Patrick, etc. It was a famous hockey spot even before the Forum was built.

I think the Wanderers or Shamrocks also have banners hanging at the new Westmount Arena with Montreal AAA and the Victorias. I think they are replicas because they all look exactly the same.

The Maroons came along later to fill the void. The Wanderers-Canadiens rivalry was the original French-English rivalry. The Maroons first season was 1924. The Forum was built for the Maroons as we all know, though because of a cancellation the Canadiens ended up playing the first game there. The Canadiens played up on Mont-Royal/St-Urbain (now a Pharmaprix or Loblaws, but the same building) at that point, but wiggled their way out of the lease so they could make more money at the Forum (more seats). Before they changed the Mont Royal Arena from a regular commercial space to a Loblaws, there were parts of the building that were intact from when it was an arena. I hope they didn't renovate those areas...!

But the Canadiens' first ever home arena (and game played) was at Montreal Arena on Wood-Ste-Catherine.

There's a book out there on the history of the Maroons that has all this stuff in it.
_____
I played for the minor league Montreal Maroons. They used to be situated in NDG before merging with the Ville-Emard Hurricanes to become the Montreal Hurons (not a good team name to have when playing against a first nations team lemme tell ya). Mario Lemieux used to play for the Hurricanes when he was a kid. I missed him by five years or so (thank god, because I was a goalie).

Last edited by tinyzombies: 10-12-2006 at 01:34 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:16 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
yup, they then became the Norois de Montreal before changing back to the Maroons in 97 or 98 i believe. In Midget Espoir they play their home games not to far from NDG.. Bill Durnan arena (rue Vezina, just east of Decarie)
What's a Norois?

The Maroons used to play at Confederation Arena in NDG (now Doug Harvey Arena). I think it's the same arena Doug Harvey grew up playing at.

The Hurons used to play at Bill Durnan, Confederation and Gadbois. Those were our home arenas.

What is Midget Espoir? Is that a participation league? The Maroons and Hurons used to be AA-BB-CC teams. I forget the name of the league.

Old
10-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Coco Fever

Thanks for the correction raketheleaves!

Got my story from parents form Westmount when I was coaching their sons...should have verified my sources!!!!

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
What's a Norois?

The Maroons used to play at Confederation Arena in NDG (now Doug Harvey Arena). I think it's the same arena Doug Harvey grew up playing at.

The Hurons used to play at Bill Durnan, Confederation and Gadbois. Those were our home arenas.

What is Midget Espoir? Is that a participation league? The Maroons and Hurons used to be AA-BB-CC teams. I forget the name of the league.
no idea what a norois is.. it was the team name tho when i was in Atome and played against them.

Hurons..now known as Hurricanes in Atome,Pee Wee, bantam and Midget BB play at Gadbois and Doug Harvey.

Midget Espoir is right below Midget AAA. Its a league strictly for the best 15 year olds. Its very fast pace and fun to watch. My team has played only 3 games so far this season and I must say, it's very exciting to be coaching at such a high level.

Maroons are only in AA and Espoir now, in BB the montreal region has split into sveral teams (Hurricanes, JSHochelaga, Federation 76 (st michel), Fede de l'est (RDP) and Pointe aux Trembles).

I dont know about back then, but now the AA league where the Maroons play is La ligue de developpement Montrel Metro.

Old
10-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
What's a Norois?
Norois, if I'm not mistaken, refers to a wind from the north-west, en français, "nord-ouest"--->norois, kinda like nor'wester (?) or nor'easter. I think.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
does the nhl own the old ottawa senators?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:39 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
no idea what a norois is.. it was the team name tho when i was in Atome and played against them.

Hurons..now known as Hurricanes in Atome,Pee Wee, bantam and Midget BB play at Gadbois and Doug Harvey.

Midget Espoir is right below Midget AAA. Its a league strictly for the best 15 year olds. Its very fast pace and fun to watch. My team has played only 3 games so far this season and I must say, it's very exciting to be coaching at such a high level.

Maroons are only in AA and Espoir now, in BB the montreal region has split into sveral teams (Hurricanes, JSHochelaga, Federation 76 (st michel), Fede de l'est (RDP) and Pointe aux Trembles).

I dont know about back then, but now the AA league where the Maroons play is La ligue de developpement Montrel Metro.
Yes, that's the same league I played in. AA hockey is very good. Lots of future NHLers in there. I like looking back at my old tournament booklets and seeing the NHLers, or guys who should have made it.

So, it's all confused now. Everything has split off into different teams at different levels??? Confusing.

All the teams at every level used to be called Maroons and then Hurons. We were one big organization and the lower level teams would root for the higher level teams. The stands used to be crowded.

AAA was only at the Midget level. I tried out for Montreal-Bourrassa AAA (don't know if they are still around), but was cut. I was a goalie (not very good either!). The guy who won the job was Stephane Fiset.

Old
10-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Le Maroons

I own Le Maroons (in my keeper league).

Norois was a beer I used to drink when I was poor and living in Sherbrooke.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Yes, that's the same league I played in. AA hockey is very good. Lots of future NHLers in there. I like looking back at my old tournament booklets and seeing the NHLers, or guys who should have made it.

So, it's all confused now. Everything has split off into different teams at different levels??? Confusing.

All the teams at every level used to be called Maroons and then Hurons. We were one big organization and the lower level teams would root for the higher level teams. The stands used to be crowded.

AAA was only at the Midget level. I tried out for Montreal-Bourrassa AAA (don't know if they are still around), but was cut. I was a goalie (not very good either!). The guy who won the job was Stephane Fiset.
in BB its Hurricanes, Fede de l'est, Fede 76, P.A.T, Braves Ahuntsic and JSH. Its an 8 team league when you include the 2 teams from Bourassa.(www.hockeymontreal.ca)

CC no longer exist in Montreal

AA has Maroons de Montreal who are connected with Fede 76 amd Hurricanes and Ahuntsic from the BB level. and Etoiles de l'est who are connected with Fede de l'est, P.A.T, J.SH.
(www.liguemontrealmetro.qc.ca)

Midget AAA.. Montreal-Bourassa changed 2 years ago.
Montreal is now on it's own.
Laval is now with Bourassa and form a team called le Rousseau sports de Laval-Bourassa.

back in the day it was les Regents de Laval-Laurentides-Lanaudiere
now its Vikings des Laurentides, Rousseau Sports de Laval Bourassa and Draveurs de Crabtree.

Last edited by Galchenyuk x 27: 10-12-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old
10-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

understanding anything yet?

Old
10-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Tricolore#20

I don't believe the Canadiens should celebrate the achievements of the other Montreal clubs during their centennial. As it has been mentioned, some of those clubs were direct rivals of the Canadiens, and have no affiliation with the club. It would be odd to see the Canadiens embrace their rivals during their clubs centennial (you won't see AC Milan celebrate Inter Milan during their centennial, even though they play in the same stadium... or Liverpool celebrate Everton).

The Canadiens have acknowledged the Maroons in their "hall of fame" at the Bell Centre. Their Stanley Cups are recognized on a mural on the wall, and IMO this should be enough.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 02:37 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
The Canadiens have acknowledged the Maroons in their "hall of fame" at the Bell Centre. Their Stanley Cups are recognized on a mural on the wall, and IMO this should be enough.
I beleive the reason if the goold old forum.
That arena was built for the Maroons, right?

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote