HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PIT] Evgeni Malkin to be extended (8 years - $9.5M cap hit)

Old
06-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
Dallas has never had that legit marketing superstar so i could see Dallas throwing the money at him. Put him on a line with Eriksson or Benn would be awesome!
Benn is almost a star. Give it a year

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Pi

Can he please get to UFA?

Leafs should pay him 11M+ if he tests free agency.

We had like 10M in dead cap last year anyways. Overpay Malkin and cut back elsewhere.

All I know is that I'd pay Malkin 15M before I overpay Tyler frickin Bozak.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:18 AM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:
Dallas has never had that legit marketing superstar so i could see Dallas throwing the money at him. Put him on a line with Eriksson or Benn would be awesome!
Modano?

crowi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:19 AM
tony d
The Future

Mark my words. Malkin will be traded within the next year or 2. Pittsburgh won't be able to afford all their core players if their top 2 centres are making that much money. I can see St.Louis or Dallas being interested in him.

06-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Not to derail the thread, but Pittsburgh has the most impressive group of d prospects even after dealing Morrow, so I think they might let Letang go.

Leafs have 20 mill for 8 players. Sign Malkin for 10, that's 7 players for 10 mill.

Kadri just had a great year and that will cost the leafs. 3.5. Leaves them 6.5 for 6 players. Average 1 mill a player to leave some room for callups. Oh wait, Franson is RFA. He just had great year, too. 3 mill (if not more) for him. 3.5 for 5 players. Yeah... I don't think the Leafs will target Malkin for that price.
Buy out Grabovski? Buy out Liles?

That's about 10M right there. Then trade some assets like Franson, Gunnarsson (if they demand a lot) and it frees up about 15-17M. Leafs have defensive prospects who are just on the verge of cracking the roster in Percy, Blacker, we might even get Paul Ranger to sign.

If Malkin reaches UFA, the Leafs will be targeting Malkin in the region of 10-12M like most teams with cap space will.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Mark my words. Malkin will be traded within the next year or 2. Pittsburgh won't be able to afford all their core players if their top 2 centres are making that much money. I can see St.Louis or Dallas being interested in him.
Pittsburgh not being able to afford their core was evident 3, or 4 years ago. That's when people started calling that 1 of their big 3 would be dealt. Staal was.

Looks as if Pittsburgh will have to deal one of Malkin, or Crosby.

Or possibly let Letang go and trade Neal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Buy out Grabovski? Buy out Komisarek?

That's 10M right there. Then trade some assets like Liles and Franson (if he demands a lot) and it frees up about 15-17M.

If Malkin reaches UFA, the Leafs will be targeting Malkin in the region of 10-12M like most teams with cap space will.
Komisarek buyout is logical.

No one is going to take Liles unless the Leafs give up something good, or take cap back. Liles isn't an asset. He could have a turn around season, though.

Leafs have to sign enough players to make a team for next season. When Malkin is coming up on UFA, so will Kessel and Phaneuf.
Gardiner will be a RFA Matt Frattin, too.
McClement and Kulemin as well.

Leafs can drastically change their team if they so wish, but I would imagine they'd want to keep some of their current players. I would imagine the Leafs would want to keep their current team and tweak it. It made the playoffs, why risk a year of failure for a slim hope to get Malkin as a UFA ? He'll probably be dealt if there's even the slightest hint that he's not going to re-sign.

Last edited by Analyzer: 06-12-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:22 AM
ranold26
The real Gahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Just because he asks for $10m doesn't mean he'll get it. You go into negotiations with your high point because there will always been negotiating to bring it down. I expect he'll resign around $8.5-$9m.

7 years at $63m.

One thing that should be noted though is that Malkin was quoted as saying that he'd be willing to take a discount if it helped the team.
UH right... In the real world, NHL GMs overpay every year and a guy like Malkin deserves it, unlike most UFAs. He will get paid and there won't be a shortage of GMs lining up to do so.
If I'm Eugene, I hope to go elsewhere. He won't always get his due in PIT.
He will get his ~10m/yr.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
People keep saying we won't be able to afford it. Where does this come from?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Quote:
Pittsburgh not being able to afford their core was evident 3, or 4 years ago. That's when people started calling that 1 of their big 3 would be dealt. Staal was.

Looks as if Pittsburgh will have to deal one of Malkin, or Crosby.

Or possibly let Letang go and trade Neal ?
Where are you guys getting that from? Are you guys even aware of the Penguins salary cap? When Malkin's contract goes into effect, there will be players coming off the books, Neal won't have to be traded in addition to a Letang trade, if Letang wants $7M then he will be traded, not him AND James Neal.

You people are crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
People keep saying we won't be able to afford it. Where does this come from?
Wishful thinking is my guess. People want to see Malkin leave and to an extent, want to see the Penguins fail.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:30 AM
veedubn1

Quote:

Leafs have 20 mill for 8 players. Sign Malkin for 10, that's 7 players for 10 mill.

Kadri just had a great year and that will cost the leafs. 3.5. Leaves them 6.5 for 6 players. Average 1 mill a player to leave some room for callups. Oh wait, Franson is RFA. He just had great year, too. 3 mill (if not more) for him. 3.5 for 5 players. Yeah... I don't think the Leafs will target Malkin for that price.
If the Leafs amnesty Liles (redundant LHD) and Komisarek (currently in the AHL) it'll open up another 8.2 mill in cap.

Roughly 12 mill for 5 players? yea... I think we can make that work. Especially with two of them making less than a mill coming up from the farm.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:38 AM
BlueForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
If the Leafs amnesty Liles (redundant LHD) and Komisarek (currently in the AHL) it'll open up another 8.2 mill in cap.

Roughly 12 mill for 5 players? yea... I think we can make that work. Especially with two of them making less than a mill coming up from the farm.
The Leafs will do what ever it takes to get Malkin on this team if he indeed hits UFA. Listen we still have 2 amnesty clauses to use as well on top of cap space the hated Burke left is with. Personally, if there is any inclination at all that Malkin may indeed hit UFA, the Leafs should keep the amnesty buyouts until next year if needed. I would continue to pay Komisarek to sit in press box or Marlies, and hope that Grabovski and Liles have bounce back seasons where their market value will be better for trade next season. If they do not bounce back then buy them out next year. The key to this year is what to do with Bozak and how much to sign him for and what to do with Kadri. If they can get both of these guys on cheap deals, fair deals...without over spending then save buyouts for next years FA where the list is far better then this years.

BlueForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:42 AM
great1

Crosby is getting paid an average of $10.8 million in the next 8 years, I wouldn't be surprised if Malkin re-signs for that. The article does say "about $10 million annually", which I imagine will be more then exactly $10 mil per year.

great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Hotlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post

We could afford it for a couple years, but we would have to not even sign a center for the 1st line this year just to take a shot at Malkin, who is most likely resigning with Pittsburgh. Just like Pittsburgh, even if we got rid of Komi, Liles, and Grabo, we would still need to lose one or two of JVR, Kadri, Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf, Gardiner and/or Reilly (if he hits potential in the next 3-4 years), just to stay under the cap.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by junyab View Post
I'd have to believe that the Lidstrom rule will come into play here.
The thing is, Crosby got the kind of term and structure that the new CBA makes impossible. I think it's perfectly reasonable for Malkin to demand a higher cap hit contract since he won't be able to get the security of a longer deal.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LetsGoFlyers1825

People seem to forget Malkin is already makin 8.7. Lets say Shero blows contract negotiations and signs him to 10, that's still only a 1.3 raise.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:46 AM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not to derail the thread, but Pittsburgh has the most impressive group of d prospects even after dealing Morrow, so I think they might let Letang go.

Kadri, Franson, Gunnarson and Colborne are the only big names we have to lock down.

Buy out two of Komi/Liles/Grabovski and we have more than enough to sign them and throw whatever Malkin wants at him.

Same could be said about any team though, I doubt Malkin makes it makes it to UFA anyway.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Are you so certain that Crosby won't be the 'star' they trade?

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Phil68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler View Post
I disagree, they don't call him number 2 because he is the best player in the world. Crosby can turn a 4th line scrub into an offensive threat... his ppg is higher too. Crosby is more valuable.
Oh you mean like Malkin was turning Talbot and Fedetenko to offensive threats? And that same year racked up 109 point with those two as wingers?? Yeah Malkin has never done that! lmao

Phil68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:53 AM
JoemAvs

Crosby earns 10.8 M a year over the next 8 years.
If Malkin takes the same deal moneywise again, this will be his price.
If he signs for less than 10 M, it is a huge hometown discount IMO.
He could easily get the first real max contract next year if he wants.
And close to 30 teams will offer him that deal.

We will find out if he really enjoys being #2 behind Crosby or if the rumors about the rift between the two are the truth soon enough.
Exciting times..

JoemAvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:54 AM
StrongIslanders90

If he wants 10 mil then he better go to the KHL because I cant See him getting it....

With the cap going down teams have to be more financially savy....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:55 AM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta View Post
We could afford it for a couple years, but we would have to not even sign a center for the 1st line this year just to take a shot at Malkin, who is most likely resigning with Pittsburgh. Just like Pittsburgh, even if we got rid of Komi, Liles, and Grabo, we would still need to lose one or two of JVR, Kadri, Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf, Gardiner and/or Reilly (if he hits potential in the next 3-4 years), just to stay under the cap.
Actually.. nope We can keep our core.

http://capgeek.com/mapleleafs/

We're more than fine. Kessel is the only guy who will be getting a raise out of our pending UFA's.

We just need to get by with Kadri, Grabo, Colborne and McClement this season...

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Wow and who is coming back in return Alex Goligoski?

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:58 AM
ricky0034

why do people keep saying $10 million is more than Crosby?

contracts work in an entirely different way under the new CBA,can't have super long term deals anymore

Crosby will make $12 million next year(and the year after etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
If he wants 10 mil then he better go to the KHL because I cant See him getting it....

you seriously don't think Malkin can get $10 million?

****ing Corey Perry got $8.625 a few months ago

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:11 AM
great1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Are you so certain that Crosby won't be the 'star' they trade?
Crosby won't be traded for merchandise reasons alone, he is the reason for most of their fans outside of Pittsburgh.

great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:18 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post

Tell that to the Ducks. If Giroux gets extended by the Flyers before Malkin it could set an even higher benchmark.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote