HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) V

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 07:57 AM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
All this talk about Buff's "off ice issures" I think is irrelevant. If anyone knows Buff better than Dudley and Bergevin, I'd like to know who outside of the Hawks and Winnipeg organizations.

The Hawks wanted to keep Buff but couldn't afford to after they had to dismantle after their last Cup. Winnipeg was obviously happy enough with him to give him a big fat (excuse the pun) contract.

If Buff is avaialble and he can bring something this team needs i.e. size, net presence and physicality to compete with the best in the NHL, than why not? If Duds and Bergy say it's a go, I can't imagine anyone saying anything complaining about it, oh wait, HF Boards posters never happy...

Old
06-12-2013, 07:58 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
All this talk about Buff's "off ice issures" I think is irrelevant. If anyone knows Buff better than Dudley and Bergevin, I'd like to know who outside of the Hawks and Winnipeg organizations.

The Hawks wanted to keep Buff but couldn't afford to after they had to dismantle after their last Cup. Winnipeg was obviously happy enough with him to give him a big fat (excuse the pun) contract.

If Buff is avaialble and he can bring something this team needs i.e. size, net presence and physicality to compete with the best in the NHL, than why not? If Duds and Bergy say it's a go, I can't imagine anyone saying anything complaining about it, oh wait, HF Boards posters never happy...
Don't believe he started with these issues until he was with Atlanta/'Peg.

Off ice issues are not irrelevant. It's called a "sideshow" and it will create a media circus in MTL.

Have you not learned anything from the 2011-12 season?

Old
06-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post

Off ice issues are not irrelevant. It's called a "sideshow" and it will create a media circus in MTL.

I'm quite sure no one cares what we or the media think, and why would they? We'd all still go to the games and if anything, Byfuglien would likely increase revenue and team performance and THAT is something owners and management care about. His on-ice performance and work-ethic are just fine and, as far as I know, he's a team player.

I don't think we need to be dramatic about it.

In terms of contract, 5.2mil is a pretty good cap hit and not a bad contract. He's still only 28.

For an often dominant and potentially game-breaking player, I'm not sure why any of us would say no if he came in at the right price. He's a good player.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:51 AM
PunkinDrublic*

The habs will not be competitive with Diaz, Plekanecs, Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher.

A big crease clearing Defenseman, who will drop the mits and defend his teammates is a neccesity.

After that Desharnais and Gionta must be replaced by stronger and in Gionta's case, less injury prone top 6 forwards..

Bournival and Dumont are also too small for the NHL playoffs.

Plekanecs, his playoff performances should be telling Bergevin what his future here is.

Gallagher is the only player among the players listed that i would be keeping.

Weber, back to Switzerland.

Bouillon, 7th D.

Eller and Galchenyuk can take care of 1 and 3, need to be looking for another big #2 Center.

Moen needs to be replaced by a player who is willing to sacrifice himself for the team in the way Prust does.

Price for Luongo and Bieksa.....

Old
06-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
The habs will not be competitive with Diaz, Plekanecs, Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher.

A big crease clearing Defenseman, who will drop the mits and defend his teammates is a neccesity.

After that Desharnais and Gionta must be replaced by stronger and in Gionta's case, less injury prone top 6 forwards..

Plekanecs, his playoff performances should be telling Bergevin what his future here is.

Bouillon, 7th D.

Eller and Galchenyuk can take care of 1 and 3, need to be looking for another big #2 Center.

Moen needs to be replaced by a player who is willing to sacrifice himself for the team in the way Prust does.

Wowwwww you ruined it with the last sentence. Absolutely horrible for the habs

Old
06-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Buff is not a good player to pursue. Winnipeg don't have cap problems and it would take a good hockey trade for them to let go of him. You aren't going to get him for DD and Moen type castoffs.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

Byfuglien was drafted overweight. He was 286, or so draft day.

What if the habs sign Orr ?

Old
06-12-2013, 09:20 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Wowwwww you ruined it with the last sentence. Absolutely horrible for the habs
I agree. So we go from a 6.5 million cap hit for 5 more years to a 5+ million cap hit for 8 more years?

Pass.

Also the OP needs to include timeline, as if you make all these moves within the next 1-2 years, you're going to ruin our team, especially make Chucky and Eller #1 and #3 centremen.

It's just that silly. Our team is half a decade or a bit less from seriously contending. We need to slow our rolls here people.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:22 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Byfuglien was drafted overweight. He was 286, or so draft day.

What if the habs sign Orr ?
at what age? 17? 18? 19??? Holy cow that's ****ing overweight. Why do we want this guy again. Because he's just an offensive defenseman with very little defensive upside and some physicality?

Pass.

Also, Colton Orr's spot in the lineup will be taken by Armstrong if and when he re-signs. It's a shame though cuz we'll need Colton Orr come like December-ish when Armdog gets re-injured. By then, Orr will most likely be on some other team's payroll.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:28 AM
shutehinside

Quote:

I'd love to know what his supposed "off ice" issues are exactly. Do you know or are you just making an issue where there really is none?

Old
06-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Draft

Quote:
I'd love to know what his supposed "off ice" issues are exactly. Do you know or are you just making an issue where there really is none?
Wasn't there a boating incident? DUI or something like that.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:00 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
at what age? 17? 18? 19??? Holy cow that's ****ing overweight. Why do we want this guy again. Because he's just an offensive defenseman with very little defensive upside and some physicality?
Weight issues notwithstanding, Byfuglien can play. He would easily be our best defenseman after Subban, probably tied with Markov. He's not a defensive wizard but at least he can clear the crease and play with an edge, in addition to his puckmoving skills. Not to mention playing forward in a pinch if necessary.

I'd take him on our team any day if these weight issues aren't serious.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:12 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
That's "off ice issues?" C'mon. Erin Brokovich was just arrested for that.

I'd argue that not being able to have a beer while boating is un-Canadian!

Besides, he's the only player in the NHL who outweighs Chara and let him know it!

Old
06-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
He blew the breathalyzer and passed and when that wasn't good enough for the police they asked for a blood sample. He told them he'd call his lawyer first and after talking to his lawyer he agreed to give a blood sample and the police said "no, you refused".

Old
06-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Draft

Quote:
That's "off ice issues?" C'mon. Erin Brokovich was just arrested for that.

I'd argue that not being able to have a beer while boating is un-Canadian!

Besides, he's the only player in the NHL who outweighs Chara and let him know it!
Truly un-Canadian IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
He blew the breathalyzer and passed and when that wasn't good enough for the police they asked for a blood sample. He told them he'd call his lawyer first and after talking to his lawyer he agreed to give a blood sample and the police said "no, you refused".
That's a really sad story. Publicly give someone a bad name, for what? I looked it up, apparently he had a .031 BAL and it was only a misdemeanour charge. Can't find anywhere that says there were other people in the vehicle, that he was speeding or anything else like that.

I think I can safely say I don't feel he has off-ice issues other than possibly over-eating. If he can still score as many points as Gallagher and Desharnais from the back end while weighing 300lbs, I'm alright with bringing him in.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Quote:
The habs will not be competitive with Diaz, Plekanecs, Desharnais, Gionta, (This is where I stop agreeing with you) Gallagher.

Gallagher is about exactly the type of player you win with. All heart and soul, 100% team guy, leadership skills, quickness, tenacity, in your face style, and can make this happen with a nice accurate shot as well as making thins happen in front on the net. He may not have the 6' frame that is "apparently" a necessity for all players now days, but he is the hardest working player on our team and one of the hardest working guys in the NHL. He's the kind of guy that would take a snapped leg, a broken arm, and all of his teeth for his team to win a championship. I'd rather have Gallagher than many 6'+ players out there. I recognize that you say he's a player you would keep and understand you are making a point about our lack of size, but saying he is a type of player you don't win with is completely wrong.

As for the Price for Luongo and Bieksa proposal? Wow.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:52 AM
axman88

The only way I could see Buf being traded is if Tinordi and a pick is going the other way.....

I can't see them taking our Garbage to justify a good trade for us.

Another possibility, and that's if they need a shutdown centerman who can score...would be to trade Plekanec for Buf.... but I would only do that if I knew that Vinny or Richards were being bought out this summer and would sign with the habs

Old
06-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
The only way I could see Buf being traded is if Tinordi and a pick is going the other way.....

I can't see them taking our Garbage to justify a good trade for us.

Another possibility, and that's if they need a shutdown centerman who can score...would be to trade Plekanec for Buf.... but I would only do that if I knew that Vinny or Richards were being bought out this summer and would sign with the habs
According to the big board, they need a 2nd line RW and a top-4 LHD.

It wouldn't mean moving scraps but rather, moving depth for an impact player. Wouldn't sell the farm for Byfuglien though.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:00 AM
PATCHESx67

Quote:

Bouillon, 7th D.

say wut ?

Old
06-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Truly un-Canadian IMO.

That's a really sad story. Publicly give someone a bad name, for what? I looked it up, apparently he had a .031 BAL and it was only a misdemeanour charge. Can't find anywhere that says there were other people in the vehicle, that he was speeding or anything else like that.

I think I can safely say I don't feel he has off-ice issues other than possibly over-eating. If he can still score as many points as Gallagher and Desharnais from the back end while weighing 300lbs, I'm alright with bringing him in.
I'm not sure but I think it was his wife and either his mother-in-law or someone like that was with him. They had a glass of wine with their lunch and someone Buff's size wouldn't be over the legal limit with that amount - and he wasn't. He ended up pleading guilty to careless boating, not to anything about being impaired or refusing.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
If the price is right and his weight issues aren't as serious as people make it out to be, I'd take Buff in a heart-beat. Are you kidding me? The knock on the Habs D this season -- especially during the playoffs -- was that they became way too soft, especially when Emelin went down to injury. The problem became so evident that Bergevin called up and used Tinordi, a big man but a rookie who still has some learning to do, to play in the playoffs.

Off-ice issues are not that big of a deal to me. If Patrick Kane was available, would I say "You know what? That taxi cab incident really leaves me wondering... I think I'll pass." Yeah right! I'd roll out the red carpet and have my lips tattooed on his feet.

If Buff is available, the price is right and his weight problems are not really a problem -- yes, I know, it's a lot pending -- I would absolutely welcome him to Montreal.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
06-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Byf was charged with failing to provide a urine sample to police which was requested as a secondary impairment test in a boating stop. This , despite submitting to a breathalyzer and passing with flying colours.

which begs the question why wouldnt he pee if he had almost no alcohol in his system? PED's? Drugs?

Old
06-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
According to the big board, they need a 2nd line RW and a top-4 LHD.

It wouldn't mean moving scraps but rather, moving depth for an impact player. Wouldn't sell the farm for Byfuglien though.
Bourque and Gorges, get it done and I'd be a happy camper. If they wanted Kristo or Leblanc instead of Gorges, that's okay, too.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:17 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Bourque and Gorges, get it done and I'd be a happy camper. If they wanted Kristo or Leblanc instead of Gorges, that's okay, too.
Bourque was one of the only Habs forwards that played like a man in the playoffs. Big mistake to move him.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Byf was charged with failing to provide a urine sample to police which was requested as a secondary impairment test in a boating stop. This , despite submitting to a breathalyzer and passing with flying colours.

which begs the question why wouldnt he pee if he had almost no alcohol in his system? PED's? Drugs?
I'd be a little embarassed to whip out my man-flute in front of my wife and mother-in-law in the middle of a lake.

.....Who knows the real situation though.

Closed Thread