HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Habs - Tampa (Lecavalier buyout)

Old
06-11-2013, 06:18 PM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
it is easy when it isn't your money

I doubt that Molson would do that.
That's the great thing about being a cash cow (TO, NYR, MTL); a playoff round or two covers the expense, especially when you get to make your team better in the process (hence getting those extra playoff rounds )

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
This has to be the worst offer in the history of HF boards, right?

Right?

Vinny has a ****** contract, sure, but he's still very productive and he's a leader in the locker room, in the community, and on the ice. I would love if he had a better contract, but even with that ****** contract he's one of the best #2 centers in the league. Trading him makes us a worse team. Trading him and our #3 (Drouin) makes us a worse team now and in the future.

So give it up.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season

vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
This has to be the worst offer in the history of HF boards, right?

Right?

Vinny has a ****** contract, sure, but he's still very productive and he's a leader in the locker room, in the community, and on the ice. I would love if he had a better contract, but even with that ****** contract he's one of the best #2 centers in the league. Trading him makes us a worse team. Trading him and our #3 (Drouin) makes us a worse team now and in the future.

So give it up.
It seems that OP does not watch much of Lecavalier. He's treating his contract like Dipietro or Gomez's contract when it is far from it.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 07:19 AM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

OK, I know I should just give up trying to make people understand the validity of a trade like this, but I'm stubborn, so here goes:

Simplified Scenario:

MTL & Tampa do the trade...

MTL buys out Vinny...

Vinny can now resign with Tampa (lets say 4 years, 15 mill; 3,75 mill cap hit)...

Tampa now has cap space (extra 4 mill for the 4 years of Vinny's new contract and extra 7,73 mill for the following 3 years) & cash (extra 30 mill they were going to pay to Vinny on old contract) to sign more help to make team contender (Iggy, Horton, defensive help, whatever they want to use it on) plus they still have Vinny...

For facilitating this paper transaction and saving Tampa 30 million, MTL gets #3 this year...

The same type of deal can help out the Islanders with DiPietro.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:23 AM
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
OK, I know I should just give up trying to make people understand the validity of a trade like this, but I'm stubborn, so here goes:

Simplified Scenario:

MTL & Tampa do the trade...

MTL buys out Vinny...

Vinny can now resign with Tampa (lets say 4 years, 15 mill; 3,75 mill cap hit)...

Tampa now has cap space (extra 4 mill for the 4 years of Vinny's new contract and extra 7,73 mill for the following 3 years) & cash (extra 30 mill they were going to pay to Vinny on old contract) to sign more help to make team contender (Iggy, Horton, defensive help, whatever they want to use it on) plus they still have Vinny...

For facilitating this paper transaction and saving Tampa 30 million, MTL gets #3 this year...

The same type of deal can help out the Islanders with DiPietro.

Give it up.. We have an owner willing to spend money so there's no point a giving up the third pick

The Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Any definitive word on whether a team can compliance buyout a player that they trade for or sign subsequent to the signing of the CBA. Could have sworn I read that a player had to be under contract to your team as of the day the CBA was signed for him to be eligible for a compliance buyout.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Uh, so we trade the captain of the team, for whom the love extends outside of the hockey fanbase and into the Tampa community, as well as toss in a likely future franchise at the #3 pick in exchange for relative spare parts? Yea, **** that noise.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:06 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
OP still hasn't stated which "much better players" the Lightning could go out and get with the extra money saved. No offense to Tampa, but they aren't considered contenders after last season, so they'd have to over-bid by a decent margin on the high dollar free agents. What would it cost to get Ribiero to play for them? 24 million for 4 years? Is a guy like Ribiero any better than Vinny? Not to mention Vinny's value to the team and club as a life long Lightning, and current team captain, how much money would they really be saving by finding these "much better players"?

Last edited by HANDZ 57: 06-12-2013 at 08:12 AM.
HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:39 AM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
OP still hasn't stated which "much better players" the Lightning could go out and get with the extra money saved.
Actually I did, but just to bring it up again, here goes:

...they could resign Vinny and nab an Iggy, Ryder, Morrow, Dupuis, Stalberg, Clowe, Bickell, Filppula, Jagr, Boyes, etc. or add a mill or so and add a Horton, Riberio, Clarkson, Streit, etc...and still save money in the long run...that, and only that, is why I believe deals like this can be advantageous to both sides.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:47 AM
The Hulk

Quote:

...they could resign Vinny and nab an Iggy, Ryder, Morrow, Dupuis, Stalberg, Clowe, Bickell, Filppula, Jagr, Boyes, etc. or add a mill or so and add a Horton, Riberio, Clarkson, Streit, etc...and still save money in the long run...that, and only that, is why I believe deals like this can be advantageous to both sides.
Would you trade any of those players for a third overall pick? NO. Thats why tampa doesnt do it.

The Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:52 AM
sayheykid

Quote:

And it would still be more cost effective and better asset management to continue paying Vinny and play the asset we'd take at three. Naming guys on their last legs or a player who is about to be grossly overpaid (Bickell) and suggesting the league is just going to sit by and allow the Lightning and Habs to game the system in a cap circumventing trade and sign is neither realistic nor an upgrade over keeping Vinny and the third.

sayheykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:07 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

Okay, I missed that part after the far fetched scenario of Tampa reacquiring him. So they get Vinny back at 3.75 and then spend good coin on players that are mostly at the end of their career? I don't see a realistic scenario where Vinny at 3.5 plus any 2 of those guys you mentioned would be better than the next three years of Vinny and Drouin at 11 million.

Are any of those free agents going to put them over the top and make them a cup contender? Whoever they get at #3 is going to be cost controlled for a while and Vinny's big pay day runs out after year 4 so I really don't see it as big of a deal as you are making it out to be. As another poster mentioned, it seems like you are valuing Vinny as a complete dead weight contract like DP's when he still does have value to Tampa.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:08 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheykid View Post
And it would still be more cost effective and better asset management to continue paying Vinny and play the asset we'd take at three. Naming guys on their last legs or a player who is about to be grossly overpaid (Bickell) and suggesting the league is just going to sit by and allow the Lightning and Habs to game the system in a cap circumventing trade and sign is neither realistic nor an upgrade over keeping Vinny and the third.
I was slow in my response, but had I seen this I would have just stopped typing and gave this a "+1" instead.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:

And you haven't answered Psycho Papa Joe's question yet.

Quote:
Any definitive word on whether a team can compliance buyout a player that they trade for or sign subsequent to the signing of the CBA. Could have sworn I read that a player had to be under contract to your team as of the day the CBA was signed for him to be eligible for a compliance buyout.
This entire thing might not even be allowed under the new CBA. Even if it is, it could end up violating "the spirit" of the CBA and cost somebody future draft picks.

Then there is still the fact that even if the Lightning could re-sign Vinny, it's still a bad deal. They don't need Montreal's help with team finances. They don't need a bunch of dead weight in place of the third rounder.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:32 AM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hulk View Post
Would you trade any of those players for a third overall pick? NO.
You're right, I wouldn't trade the #3 pick this year for any of those players if that's all I was getting, which it's absolutely not...Tampa also gets millions in cap relief, albeit mostly down the road if they add another player with the savings right away, and also saves millions in salary, both now and down the road...and they still get #25 this year (or #21 if they did the trade with Toronto, which also works)...the point I'm trying to make is that a trade like this can have merit; haggling on price is just fine-tuning it.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:39 AM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
This entire thing might not even be allowed under the new CBA. Even if it is, it could end up violating "the spirit" of the CBA and cost somebody future draft picks.
I've looked all over and haven't found anything to say it can't be done, but if it is found to be in violation, then we forget about this and just enjoy the memory of a good debate

Old
06-12-2013, 09:44 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
The DiPietro talk got me thinking; why not eat a big buyout for assets (for the "have" teams)...so why not:

To Tampa Bay Lightning:

Kaberle + 2013 #25 pick + Desharnais (replacement centre...or they could take our 2013 #55...or LeBlanc...or a combo of...you get the drift )

To Montreal:

Lecavalier + 2013 #3 pick + 2013 #33 pick

Habs take a big hit on the buyout, but gain the ability to draft Barkov.
Give up the third and 33rd, to lose Lecavalier? No thanks. We'll just draft and buy him out ourselves if necessary.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:14 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

vCash: 50
this is still going on

there's NO chance any team in the league would send a top 5 pick or even likely a top 15 pick strapped to it to get rid of an unsavoury contract.

he wasn't even bad this year in games i watched, wasn't the vinny of 04 playoff run but come on, sure he's over paid but i doubt they buy him out unless his play declines even further.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
I've looked all over and haven't found anything to say it can't be done, but if it is found to be in violation, then we forget about this and just enjoy the memory of a good debate
We have very different definitions of what classifies a "good debate".

And hell, even if Tampa loses money on Vinny's deal, Montreal is paying us anyway with the revenue sharing.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Savings on the buyout or not, this is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen.

Tampa isn't trading away two top 40 picks (including 3rd overall LOL) to save future money.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Mats86

Quote:
The DiPietro talk got me thinking; why not eat a big buyout for assets (for the "have" teams)...so why not:

To Tampa Bay Lightning:

Kaberle + 2013 #25 pick + Desharnais (replacement centre...or they could take our 2013 #55...or LeBlanc...or a combo of...you get the drift )

To Montreal:

Lecavalier + 2013 #3 pick + 2013 #33 pick

Habs take a big hit on the buyout, but gain the ability to draft Barkov.
That sounds to one-sided. How about Price/Deshasnais to Vancouver, Luongo to Tampa, Lecavalier/Schneider to Montreal? Contracts all stay close.

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:26 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
That sounds to one-sided. How about Price/Deshasnais to Vancouver, Luongo to Tampa, Lecavalier/Schneider to Montreal? Contracts all stay close.

^ That goes for OP too.

Last edited by The YzerJesus: 06-12-2013 at 08:45 PM.
The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Lol so happy this trade won't happen. Looking forward to seeing Drouin play next to Stamkos for years. Vinny will retire a bolt too. In your dreams Habs fans!

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:53 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
I wonder how good Lecavalier will be @ 38, earning 8.5M.

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:56 PM
sayheykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger View Post
I wonder how good Lecavalier will be @ 38, earning 8.5M.
Considering he's set to make 1.5 million at 38, I guess we'll never know.

Last edited by sayheykid: 06-12-2013 at 09:03 PM.
sayheykid is offline   Reply With Quote