HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

vCash: 500
And what has Melanson done exactly since leaving the Habs? Luongo...well lol, and Schneider? Well he hasnt been elite either. keep him away from the habs please, even when he was here I wasnt fond of his coaching style either.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:41 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 250
Can't argue with Rolly's comments he isn't far off.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Andy

Didn't Price's best season come right after Melanson left? Also Price played extremely well for a team that finished last in the east the year. The only "regression" began with the last 3 weeks of this season.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Didn't Price's best season come right after Melanson left? Also Price played extremely well for a team that finished last in the east the year. The only "regression" began with the last 3 weeks of this season.
No. The 2009-2010 season was not really great for Price. He was okay. But the team wasn't so great either.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
No. The 2009-2010 season was not really great for Price. He was okay. But the team wasn't so great either.
Sorry my bad. I thought Melanson was let go in 2010-2011.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:02 AM
habsfanatics*

I agree with Melanson that Price's play has regressed, or better yet, hasn't progressed as hoped, where we differ is when he said regressed since I left or something to that effect, Price was solid without Melanson, but he has been extremely inconsistent, I don't there's a goalie coach in the world who will change that now.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
You do know he is calling Price lazy because he was back when Melanson was with the Habs. Thing is that has been clearly documented and his turnaround has been noted by almost everyone after he lost his spot to Halak.
For whatever reason (insider to the situation, guessing) Melanson's comments are curiously in the present. Even the comment about Groulx trying to be Price's friend, it's like the organization has consulted him on this.

Old
06-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Mr. Hab

Would someone be able to open this (maybe) interesting article about Carey Price deteriorating...thanks in advance.
The Gazette doesn't allow me to open it 'cause they want us to pay for it...#$%^&*#$%...ridiculous imo:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...979/story.html

Old
06-11-2013, 03:56 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Would someone be able to open this (maybe) interesting article about Carey Price deteriorating...thanks in advance.
The Gazette doesn't allow me to open it 'cause they want us to pay for it...#$%^&*#$%...ridiculous imo:

MONCTON, N.B. - Carey Price’s former goaltending coach says the Montreal Canadiens netminder has become progressively worse over the last few seasons due to bad guidance.

Roland Melanson, who is the current goaltending coach with the Vancouver Canucks, told L'Acadie Nouvelle — a French daily newspaper in New Brunswick — that Price has been in decline since Melanson left Montreal in 2009.

"Carey hasn’t stopped deteriorating since I left. He’s all over the place now," said Melanson in a report posted Monday. "At some point, there has to be some accountability in the school yard. The position requires a lot of work and Carey hasn’t been consistent. He let things slide in practice and it caught up to him during games.”

Despite finishing the regular season first in the Northeast Division, Price and the Canadiens struggled down the stretch. The 25-year-old was pulled from back-to-back starts and went 2-6-0 in his last eight appearances, allowing 27 goals.

Price's woes continued in the first round of playoffs as Montreal was eliminated in five games by Ottawa. Backup Peter Budaj started Game 5 and allowed six goals.

Last week the Canadiens fired Melanson's successor, goaltending coach Pierre Groulx — the only member of the coaching staff kept on when Michel Therrien was named head coach for the 2012-13 season.

According to Melanson, Groulx allowed Price to develop bad habits.

"He wanted to be his friend. A goalie doesn’t want you to be his friend — he wants results. You're not there to be his friend."

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...#ixzz2VwY34TEl

Old
06-11-2013, 04:02 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 250
Quote:

It is just the article that is posted on here already nothing new in it.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Mr. Hab

Thanks guys...I also found it in TSN (allowed to read it!, unlike The Gazette which blocks certain articles after an amount of time):

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425170

Old
06-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Thanks guys...I also found it in TSN (allowed to read it!, unlike The Gazette which blocks certain articles after an amount of time):

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425170
The Canadian Press picked up the story and wrote a feed story about this, now every paper and media outlet in Canada is presenting . I've seen the same story on the Globe and Mail, National Post, TSN, etc.

CP has made this a big story, definitely getting more attention than Melanson probably intended.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He has absolutely NOT regressed. Melanson looks like a guy that is so full of himself. And not with a whole lot to show for....that was the year when Schneider should have shone and yet....they had to go back to Luongo.

So Price hasn't regressed....but he hasn't progressed.
Of course he has... and if he didn't have a terrible last couple of weeks this year nobody would dispute it.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:43 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:

This was an absolutely ridiculous article. Melanson is probably still ******** on a subconscious level.

Ladies and Gentleman, we cannot speak of how hard CP31 practices, we can only really critique his game. If you're really curious about how well he does, check his game log here.

For last season, ever since he was pulled in that Boston game where Budaj stepped up and won for us in the SO, Price's game pretty much fell off for a good majority of those games. So for 12-13 games he was playing pretty badly/inconsistently. This is what I like to call a goaltending funk. Some goaltenders get into them, some of them stay in them for longer (see Bryzgalov this year).

My point is, RM is off-base saying he is "deteriorating". The year after he left, Price played okay, not good enough to hold onto the #1 job. The following year, Price put up his best numbers ever (regular season and playoffs). The year following this, our team was a circus of which him and probably PK/DD/MaxPac/Cole were the only bright spots on our dysfunctional family.

With that said however, I do feel RM might be right on a few things about Price and Groulx. Price's work ethic seems to be questionable, however I don't believe it. Groulx however seemed like he wanted to appease Price and not make him work harder than he should be working.

Just my thoughts on this article.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:29 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
This was an absolutely ridiculous article. Melanson is probably still ******** on a subconscious level.

Ladies and Gentleman, we cannot speak of how hard CP31 practices, we can only really critique his game. If you're really curious about how well he does, check his game log here.

For last season, ever since he was pulled in that Boston game where Budaj stepped up and won for us in the SO, Price's game pretty much fell off for a good majority of those games. So for 12-13 games he was playing pretty badly/inconsistently. This is what I like to call a goaltending funk. Some goaltenders get into them, some of them stay in them for longer (see Bryzgalov this year).

My point is, RM is off-base saying he is "deteriorating". The year after he left, Price played okay, not good enough to hold onto the #1 job. The following year, Price put up his best numbers ever (regular season and playoffs). The year following this, our team was a circus of which him and probably PK/DD/MaxPac/Cole were the only bright spots on our dysfunctional family.

With that said however, I do feel RM might be right on a few things about Price and Groulx. Price's work ethic seems to be questionable, however I don't believe it. Groulx however seemed like he wanted to appease Price and not make him work harder than he should be working.

Just my thoughts on this article.
there's enough media people attending practices to gives us an idea.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:14 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
there's enough media people attending practices to gives us an idea.
You are right, but they have somewhat small sample sizes: Montreal Canadien goaltenders.

Majority of them focus on one team, and one set of goalies each year.

But you do make a point...

Either way, I just find it funny how Roland would know that Price doesn't work hard in his net in practice...right now. Maybe when he was a hotshot 19-21 year old, but I think it's a bit different now.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:40 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

its quite hilarious how rest of NHL fans are generally more positive about price then our own fan-base.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1445385

Old
06-12-2013, 09:52 AM
PunkinDrublic*

How about Price for Luongo based trade ? Somehow adding Bieksa.
With Kabs off the books after his buyout.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
its quite hilarious how rest of NHL fans are generally more positive about price then our own fan-base.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1445385
It's hilarious that you didn't even read the thread.

Filter out the Price apologist stuff and this is the most salient post:

Quote:
With Carey it always the same thing. He do poorly but people excuse him because hes semi-young. I know his Jersey is really popular here in Mtl, so GM want him to stay so he can sell more of them. But for real, i dont think a second we can win a Stanley cup with Carey Price in the net. Yeah he probably have some talent at goaltending, but he miss what is the more important, from what i've heard, he got no real work ethic, and as i saw, he is sooo weak mentally. To top that, Price want out of Mtl because he feel there is too much pressure here, he feel like a rabbit in a hole, poor him we only pay him 6m or so to be a superstar in here.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:55 AM
habsfanatics*

After hearing Dwayne Roloson speak on the role of a goalie coach, he would have been nice on the staff in some role. He basically said what I have been saying all along, you are not going to change a goalies style after he has faced 10000 shots in the NHL, what you need to do is work with what you have, everyone is different.

Price's style should have been left alone and developed with the tools he already had. A perceived hole in one goalies technique is a strength in another. Every couple years hiring a new guy to change things is likely contributing to Price's lack of progression. He doesn't need fixed, he needs tweaks to his already well-established style. The most important factor in a goalie coach is stability at the position, it can't change every few years with different philosophies. These guys don't create good goalies, they work with existing skills. I don't think the position is all that relevant to be honest. The only important thing is to have some stability and leave the damn guys alone.

Hopefully the next guy works with/for Carey Price and doesn't try to turn him into something he's not and hangs around for awhile.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
After hearing Dwayne Roloson speak on the role of a goalie coach, he would have been nice on the staff in some role. He basically said what I have been saying all along, you are not going to change a goalies style after he has faced 10000 shots in the NHL, what you need to do is work with what you have, everyone is different.

Price's style should have been left alone and developed with the tools he already had. A perceived hole in one goalies technique is a strength in another. Every couple years hiring a new guy to change things is likely contributing to Price's lack of progression. He doesn't need fixed, he needs tweaks to his already well-established style. The most important factor in a goalie coach is stability at the position, it can't change every few years with different philosophies. These guys don't create good goalies, they work with existing skills. I don't think the position is all that relevant to be honest. The only important thing is to have some stability and leave the damn guys alone.

Hopefully the next guy works with/for Carey Price and doesn't try to turn him into something he's not and hangs around for awhile.
Nobody has tried to change Price. He just hasn't fully adapted to a league where shooters are skilled enough to find the top of the net. He is still trying to play a game where he can go to his knees early and often and everything will be ok.

Coaching has tried to teach him to make better decisions about going down. Some armchair coaches here have labeled that "teaching Price a hybrid style" when in fact they are just teaching him about recognizing when he should stay on his feet. Two coaches and counting haven't been able to do it, good luck to the third one whoever that is.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:04 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

Which is why i used the term "generally".

what you call "apologist" i called it positive.

Not to mention the post you quote is filled with speculative crap like "From what i hear... " , "From what i saw..."

Yea, very insightful stuff.

Last edited by uiCk: 06-12-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old
06-12-2013, 10:08 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

...from a Habs fan. Which runs entirely counter-intuitive to the point he was making: that Hab fans are generally more negative about Price than fans of other teams are.

All you did was find the post that most supports your own assertions, dismissed the others that don't as "apologists", and labeled the one you picked as "the most salient post" of the thread. Good work?

Old
06-12-2013, 10:09 AM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Nobody has tried to change Price. He just hasn't fully adapted to a league where shooters are skilled enough to find the top of the net. He is still trying to play a game where he can go to his knees early and often and everything will be ok.

Coaching has tried to teach him to make better decisions about going down. Some armchair coaches here have labeled that "teaching Price a hybrid style" when in fact they are just teaching him about recognizing when he should stay on his feet. Two coaches and counting haven't been able to do it, good luck to the third one whoever that is.
None of these coaches are going to teach Price anything. His style has changed over the years, so your argument that they are just leaving him alone is debatable. Melanson has a track record of trying to force a certain style.

I'm not blaming the coaches for Price's lack of progression, but it may have played a small part, at the end of the day, Price is the one stopping the pucks, not Groulx, Melanson, Allaire, but it would be confusing for any goaltender to have someone come in and make unnecessary changes to your game. Stability is the key here. Hire the right guy and stick with him.

At some point though, what you see is what you get, everyone uses the age thing to divert criticisms somewhere else. The age is almost irrelevant at this point. Price is a veteran goalie now. The amount of goalies who's performances have increased after facing 10000 shots can be counted on one hand.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Sorinth

So Price finishes tied for 10th in Vezina voting and 17th for the Hart. Not bad for a guy who "struggled" this season.

Closed Thread