HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Up Part II: The Midnight Barkov

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
It's interesting to me that Devine so openly talked about the idea of trading up.

I still think Barkov is their guy.
me too

I think they could get to 3, for Barkov

Old
06-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
It's interesting to me that Devine so openly talked about the idea of trading up.

With as tight lipped as Regier is, this surprises me. Why disclose this? Maybe to placate the fan base?

Old
06-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
With as tight lipped as Regier is, this surprises me. Why disclose this? Maybe to placate the fan base?
maybe... I mean it's not a secret, practically every team wants to move up in this year's draft... the top 7-8 is premier talent unlike most years (0-2 elite talents).

Regier does have a stigma about him sitting on his hands... maybe both he and ownership want that stigma removed.

Burke's maneuvering was no secret...
Buffalo is a player in all the major moves now... those types of players are never as secretive....

just spit balling here...

Old
06-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
maybe... I mean it's not a secret, practically every team wants to move up in this year's draft... the top 7-8 is premier talent unlike most years (0-2 elite talents).

Regier does have a stigma about him sitting on his hands... maybe both he and ownership want that stigma removed.

Burke's maneuvering was no secret...
Buffalo is a player in all the major moves now... those types of players are never as secretive....

just spit balling here...
I totally agree with all this. It's just not Regier's way to call his shots. Usually his moves are out of the blue.

I wonder what he's up to. Gotta be something to make such a big rudder steer in operating.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I totally agree with all this. It's just not Regier's way to call his shots. Usually his moves are out of the blue.

I wonder what he's up to. Gotta be something to make such a big rudder steer in operating.
I hope so... because right now, I hate sitting at 8.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I hope so... because right now, I hate sitting at 8.
Me too. I hope it's more devious than just changing Regier's image. I want a Darth Regier move that nets the Sabres MacKinnon but allows the team to keep Myers, Hodgson, Girgensons, and McCabe.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

Quote:
Me too. I hope it's more devious than just changing Regier's image. I want a Darth Regier move that nets the Sabres MacKinnon but allows the team to keep Myers, Hodgson, Girgensons, and McCabe.
Agreed. My insanity turns into faith with each passing day.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:37 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Odds are like, at least 80% that we're picking 8th. "Wanting" to move up and seriously making offers with enough assets to do so are different things. I don't see Regier moving enough of his top assets to win any kind of bidding war for a top pick.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Odds are like, at least 80% that we're picking 8th. "Wanting" to move up and seriously making offers with enough assets to do so are different things. I don't see Regier moving enough of his top assets to win any kind of bidding war for a top pick.
Sounds like we're doing / prepared to do just that.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:56 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYaeger89 View Post
In his career, I can't think of a time when Regier identified a high value asset (either player or pick) and put forward a package that overwhelmed his partner's ability to say no. Just going off of history here. He's going to need to overpay slightly, otherwise that franchise player isn't worth letting go. And I can't think of a single time when Darcy Regier overpaid for something (unless it was because he dramatically misread how valuable the incoming asset was). He overvalues his own assets too much.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:56 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Why do you think we've been loading up in recent years? We have 8 picks in the top two rounds this year and next. We have Vanek and Miller, who will surely help replenish any assets we use. I don't think the question is whether or not we are prepared to move a lot of assets, because all signs point to yes, it's whether a team we need to trade with prefers our package to someone else's package.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:59 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Why do you think we've been loading up in recent years? We have 8 picks in the top two rounds this year and next. We have Vanek and Miller, who will surely help replenish any assets we use. I don't think the question is whether or not we are prepared to move a lot of assets, because all signs point to yes, it's whether a team we need to trade with prefers our package to someone else's package.
Which are completely useful even if you don't trade them. Besides which, if Darcy Regier is the kind of guy who thinks he's smarter than the market (which I think he does), he values more opportunities to prove it with mid round picks.

And don't forget that neither Vanek nor Miller is necessarily going anywhere. Last we heard from him was "we'd like to re-sign them both."

Old
06-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Jacob582

Devine also mentioned they were interested in moving up from both positions (8 and 16).

Old
06-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Jacob582

Quote:

I think Barkov is high on their list and it may be more likely that they can trade to where they can take him.

Devine mentioned talking to Colorado for the #1 pick and that either Mackinnon or Jones was at the top of the Sabres list.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:07 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Which are completely useful even if you don't trade them. Besides which, if Darcy Regier is the kind of guy who thinks he's smarter than the market (which I think he does), he values more opportunities to prove it with mid round picks.

And don't forget that neither Vanek nor Miller is necessarily going anywhere. Last we heard from him was "we'd like to re-sign them both."
Even though he has said, "we need to get top players" and "you get top players at the top of the draft.". I think you are letting your bias guide your judgement.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:08 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

I mean, if I'm the Sabres, I have a June 29th deadline to move Vanek and Miller for whatever gets us the best draft position improvement. It's rare for a team to have an opportunity to rebuild with such great foundation - the deepest draft in many years, and two in their prime quasi stars who aren't going to be on the team if we ever win anyways to trade for more picks. I just don't think this front office has the balls to do it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Miller's still here in the fall and Vanek gets traded sometime in August when Darcy's feeling he's run out of better options for a package of lesser players.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:10 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Even though he has said, "we need to get top players" and "you get top players at the top of the draft.". I think you are letting your bias guide your judgement.
I mean, he's essentially said truisms. Everyone knows these things, and I don't think you really change your assessment of his values based on this. We still have no indication he's going to change 17 years of behavior to actually win a bidding war for one.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:16 AM
stokes84

Quote:
I mean, he's essentially said truisms. Everyone knows these things, and I don't think you really change your assessment of his values based on this. We still have no indication he's going to change 17 years of behavior to actually win a bidding war for one.
The only years that matter are the past two. Everything previous was profit first, remain competitive second. He couldn't afford to make splashy trades for the future.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The thing you have to take into account are with prior ownerships Reiger was forced to try and make the playoffs every year in order to collect the revenue... In that position you pretty much can't take the risk of trading players that are currently better and further along in development in order to take a risk on a promising yet unproven draft pick... It was never about gaining high end talent .. it was keep our heads above water.

Not saying the chances are good that it happens..but..Im certain Reiger is willing and able to pull it off if the opportunity presents itself.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If it means landing a talent like MacKinnon or Barkov, I'm not particularly attached to anyone on the roster. It's not like they won't be drafting more guys later in this draft or next year or beyond.

06-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If it means landing a talent like MacKinnon or Barkov, I'm not particularly attached to anyone on the roster. It's not like they won't be drafting more guys later in this draft or next year or beyond.
Pretty much this.

Id even let my man crush Foligno go.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:38 AM
AirBriere48

Quote:

Possibly smoke signals, but that's certainly how it sounded in the interview. Devine didn't sound overly enthused about Lindholm, but who knows. Surprisingly candid interview, and one that has me feeling more confident than not that we will be picking higher than #8 on June 30.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:40 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Pretty much this.

Id even let my man crush Foligno go.
I'd say the same thing about Girgensons. If they both had to go, I might shed a tear.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:43 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Agreed...I think it'd hurt to lose hodgson though. If adding him to a package meant getting mackinnon, i'd do it, but that would be an insanely young/inexperienced group of centers:
Mac
Ennis (who should be a winger)
Grigorenko
Porter
Larsson

Old
06-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
I'm surprised nobody has noted that he compared Barkov to Kopitar. Pretty solid endorsement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYaeger89 View Post
It sounded equally like the teams possibly willing to trade down did not want to move out of the top-3 or 4, so Buffalo would have to get there first, which is going to be difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBriere48 View Post
Possibly smoke signals, but that's certainly how it sounded in the interview. Devine didn't sound overly enthused about Lindholm, but who knows. Surprisingly candid interview, and one that has me feeling more confident than not that we will be picking higher than #8 on June 30.
He essentially called him the best Euro other than Barkov. Is that not enthusiastic enough for you?

The question was posed to him as who, other than Barkov and Nichushkin, are the top European players. Devine mentioned Elias Lindholm is probably the best, followed by Ristolainen and then he mentioned Nichushkin again. That leads me to believe that he has at least Lindholm ranked ahead of Nichushkin.

Closed Thread