HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Favorite Stupid Things You See/Hear At An Arena

Old
10-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Markov79

vCash: 500
Favorite Stupid Things You See/Hear At An Arena

This thread is for all the ridiculous and often confusing behaviour we see at our local arenas.

I'll start with parents who spend thousands on equipment and thousands more on skating clinics and summer hockey programs to make their son the best player possible yet they reward him after every practise and game with a large pepsi, chips and chocolate bar. Does it ever occur to them that dragging an extra thirty pounds up and down the ice is affecting his play?

Also there is the player I affectionaly call "Shotgun". Every team has one guy who must take 50 shots during the warm up. Skate? No. Stretch? No. Pass? God Lord No. He needs to be prepared for that one wrister from the blueline he'll end up taking.

Markov79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
The ones I love
"God, why does it smell in here?"
Usually from the prissy blonde stick thin girlfriends of the hotshot players.

The spoiled brat is another one. The kid who has all the best gear no matter what and can't carry his own damn bag out the door.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Hugh Madbrough

The worst guy on my team has all top of the line equipment, 200$ stick, 500$ skates etc...and is by far the worst player. He likes to say "you owe me an assist" if you dont score when he actually manages to get the puck to you. Kills me every time.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I'll give one dumb one and one good one.

Dumb: parents berating the ref and calling him stupid names at a house league game. You're embarassing yourselves, please stop.

Good: seeing any child learning to skate/play hockey and having fun. Hockey can teach you a lot, mostly about life.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:44 PM
ScreamingWild
Jobu Mojo

The absolute most insane comment said about goalies, and it is heard regularly, has to be, "Bet he'd like to have that one back!" Well duh...

ScreamingWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Gino 14

I've gotta go with the Pee Wees and Bantams that you see walking out with their sticks while their mothers drag their equipment bags. Someone needs to slap those parents.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:04 PM
stick9

I have a couple.

The kid that's played hockey for about five years and still needs help putting his gear on.

The other comes from the pro ranks. I always laugh when the guy in the 3rd balcony starts yelling shoot, or complains when a player doesn't make a pass. Umm hello, he's a pro and you are fat old fart in 325.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
The other comes from the pro ranks. I always laugh when the guy in the 3rd balcony starts yelling shoot, or complains when a player doesn't make a pass. Umm hello, he's a pro and you are fat DRUNK old fart in 325.
Fixed that for you.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:47 PM
19nazzy

When I'm sitting in the scorers area, hurridly trying to write in the players lineups onto my lineup sheet and having the players take slapshots that hit the glass right in front of me and thus make me jump and end up with scribbles on the scoresheet.

10-12-2006, 03:50 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
Fixed that for you.
Good call.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Wisent

There is that one weird goalie that always shouts: "Go to the man. Defense. Don`t let him shoot", but he refuses to move a single millimeter in the goal.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:55 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
I love the people in the crowd (almost always parents) who will yell at a linesman for not making a tripping or hooking or some other minor call.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 04:31 AM
BCCHL inactive

Any minor hockey parent who thinks he/she is tough, smart or is impressing anybody by yelling at the referees, who are just as much kids as the players playing the game.

They should all be banned from the arenas for life.

BCCHL inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 10:25 PM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79 View Post
This thread is for all the ridiculous and often confusing behaviour we see at our local arenas.

I'll start with parents who spend thousands on equipment and thousands more on skating clinics and summer hockey programs to make their son the best player possible yet they reward him after every practise and game with a large pepsi, chips and chocolate bar. Does it ever occur to them that dragging an extra thirty pounds up and down the ice is affecting his play?

Also there is the player I affectionaly call "Shotgun". Every team has one guy who must take 50 shots during the warm up. Skate? No. Stretch? No. Pass? God Lord No. He needs to be prepared for that one wrister from the blueline he'll end up taking.
The coach's kid playing like the whole game is just sad.(Same kid who can't tie his skates.) Also all the kids who just play a game, then have a little powerade after, shows they didn't work at all.

Dumbest Quote- (By Announcers) - I think the goalie wishes he could have that one back. Well no duh!

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 03:11 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
A favorite of mine are the mini-mites with like $400 skates...apparently the parents don't realize that'll they'll be two sizes too small next week.

I've seen some pretty insane things at rinks as well, including a squirt house league game where the goalie's dad screamed curses at the goalie the entire game, saying such things as "if you dont stop this ******* puck you're walking home!"...I am not kidding on this one either...

That was pretty nutty, everyone else was in utter shock, he was pacing up and down screaming things to an 8 year old kid who can't tie his own skates...

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Im a ref at a league that plays on an outdoor rink. We have four agegroups with Four teams in each agegroup. On a chilly day last winter we got the first three ages in when with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd game it started raining. From drizzle to downpour by games end. Obviously we had to cancel the final game of the day. I Loved the 7 parents of the 16 year old kids to try and convince us it was ok to play ]. Trying to explain the dangers of roller hockey in the rain was like trying to explain calculous to a 5 year old.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Hockeylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
A favorite of mine are the mini-mites with like $400 skates...apparently the parents don't realize that'll they'll be two sizes too small next week.

I've seen some pretty insane things at rinks as well, including a squirt house league game where the goalie's dad screamed curses at the goalie the entire game, saying such things as "if you dont stop this ******* puck you're walking home!"...I am not kidding on this one either...

That was pretty nutty, everyone else was in utter shock, he was pacing up and down screaming things to an 8 year old kid who can't tie his own skates...
This parent is obviously out of control. He needs therapy or to put on medication as soon as possible before he puts people and himself in danger.

Hockeylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 04:43 PM
StrBender

My nephew played on one of the summer AAA tournament teams. The coach wanted him to play in a tournament in Edmonton. He tells me it's a big tournament. It's a once in a lifetime deal and if we don't go we would never be asked again. He tells me kids from all over the world want to play for this team! The cost was $5k and missing school for up to a week! We didn't go

Oh yah I almost forgot. My nephew is a 92 and the tourament was 4 years ago when he was 10. Some will say he missed his chance to go pro because of my desicion I will take my chances and the $5k to the bank.

StrBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Fenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrBender View Post
My nephew played on one of the summer AAA tournament teams. The coach wanted him to play in a tournament in Edmonton. He tells me it's a big tournament. It's a once in a lifetime deal and if we don't go we would never be asked again. He tells me kids from all over the world want to play for this team! The cost was $5k and missing school for up to a week! We didn't go

Oh yah I almost forgot. My nephew is a 92 and the tourament was 4 years ago when he was 10. Some will say he missed his chance to go pro because of my desicion I will take my chances and the $5k to the bank.
im guessing that the tournament was the Brick Super-Novice Invitational. That tournament is huge here in Edmonton and the kids for being only 9-10 years old are really good lol. And teams from all over North America do come to play in the tournament year after year.

Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 10:00 PM
StrBender

Thats the one The tounament is at the Mall . Great tournament. I just couldn't belive that the parents really thought that there would be scouts at the tournament . I have been around the game for 40+ years and coached at the Jr level, BUT when a parent only wants to hear certain words spoken about their child NOTHING will convince them otherwise. The coach & parents were so convinced that this was one step closer to the show that I just had to stay home. To this day my nephew has not complained once about not going or being asked to play on the team anymore.

StrBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

I can't stand the "good" players that make fun of the less-talented or newer guys, even though the new guy out-hustles the hotshot all the time.

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:45 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
for the longest time, my mom referred to the 5 hole as the pie-hole.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 01:57 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

guys who look like 1st line stars but are 4th line pluggers.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent View Post
There is that one weird goalie that always shouts: "Go to the man. Defense. Don`t let him shoot", but he refuses to move a single millimeter in the goal.
I played with a guy whose mouth is on loop
"SEND IT!!......SLOT!!......SEND IT!!.....SLOT!!!.....SEND IT!!!"

This is during lunch-hockey.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Pat

some hockey parents are the worst. I've even seen parents get into fights because one kid trip another kid on the oposing team.

kid's dad who actually beat up a ref because he didn't like the penalties the ref gave his kid.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote