HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren Report Card

Old
06-12-2013, 10:44 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
Just sayin....

If I could go back in time to the Pronger trade....I make the deal 10 times out of 10 to acquire the future hall of famer and one of the most unique and dominant defencemen i've seen in my day.

The guy could drag a newborn by the hair of its bald nutsack to the Stanley Cup final.
You'll find that there are many people in that same boat (myself included) and many who will complain about overpayment etc. I think there is merit to both sides, but like you, I would do it every day of the week.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Homer's been the definition of a mixed bag. Just some great highlights with tons of lows mixed in. Overall though I think he's done more bad then good. I wouldn't have a problem with him though if I didn't think he were way overdue to be fired.

We rarely are an elite regular season team and the playoffs has just been one giant mixed bag where we've only had one or maybe two special runs. Just based off all that and all the screw-ups and the position we're in now and were in this/last season I'd say he's been given far too many chances. I also think that Homer is representative of one of the things really wrong with this organization in that they hire people based on loyalty more-so then who's best for the job sometimes.

As far as the Pronger trade goes I think it was a risk worth taking and if we had done better in the Chicago SCF and won it all you would all be singing a different tune about it since Pronger and Giroux were extremely instrumental in that run.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:40 PM
phlocky

How can Holmgren possibly get an A or B in drafting???

JVR??? Sure he's a very good player but who couldn't draft a player like that with the #2 OA pick??? You CAN'T possibly give him a good grade for making the OBVIOUS pick. What's astounding is that there was a picture of the Flyers war room where they actually had JVR at the top of their draft list ABOVE Kane. Honestly??? Imagine if we had not lost the lottery and STILL taken JVR over Kane. Wouldn't that be a major failure??? Freaking Klotz in the 3rd rnd??? A goon with no skills that most scouts had going in the 6th or 7th rnd if getting drafted at all???

Sbissa??? A high 1st rnd pick that's looking more and more like just a 2nd pairing guy (not the perennial Norris candidate type dman Holmgren heralded him as when he came to camp).

2009 and 2010 we didn't have a 1st or 2nd rnd pick and nobody he drafted in either of those years look to be anything more than roster filler players. ANY GM can do this and they usually have more success in the later rounds than Homer does.

2011??? He couldn't help it that other teams passed up on Coots who was PROJECTED to go in the top 5. It was dumb luck (actually just stupidity by other GMs) that we got Coots at 8th. Any GM with half a brain would have taken Coots at #8 (and thank god Homer has at least half a brain). Lets not forget that Paul himself said that we were actually targeting Siemens (a dman who still hasn't made an Avs team with a terrible defensive core) with the #8 pick and NOT Hamilton (a dman who is already playing in the NHL on a very strong Bruins team). It's yet to be seen whether or not any of his other picks in the draft will pan out.

2012, can't really comment on this draft class yet as it's too early to tell. Laughton looks to be a good pick but remember, Homer took him earlier than he was projected to go so it's yet to be seen whether it was a good choice or not.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:47 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
You'll find that there are many people in that same boat (myself included) and many who will complain about overpayment etc. I think there is merit to both sides, but like you, I would do it every day of the week.
I don't think that it was an over payment but in hindsight it didn't work out too well for us considering the injuries to Pronger. It's not that it was a bad deal at the time, it's just that it didn't work out too well for us.

Also, too things of note, if Homer had done a better job of providing us with an actual decent 3rd pairing then we wouldn't have had to lean so heavily on Pronger and Timonen in the early rounds and they wouldn't have been so worn out come the finals. Also, if in game 2 of the finals, if Lavi HADN'T left our 3rd pairing out on the ice after Leighton froze the puck they wouldn't have had to go up against the Sharpe line and the hawks wouldn't have scored the first goal of the game (a game we dominated to that point and the 2nd goal was scored while we were still recovering mentally from out playing them only to be down a goal because of a poor coaching decision, we did rebound and dominate most of the rest of the game). We were a gnats ass away from winning the cup that year and we don't even get close without Pronger.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 04:26 AM
Ilya Bryzastor

Holmgren Rating: C+

Free agency: C
Undrafted free agents: B
Drafting: A-
Trades: C
Cap management: F
Intangibles: D

Some good trades , some bad , drafting has been really good , free agency could have been handled a little better , Holmgren is a decent GM , he is just a little nuts.

Ilya Bryzastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 05:35 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
With the recent Streit contract, one would think his grade just took a hit.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote