HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo to... ANYWHERE!

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
So whats changed about his contract in the last 3-4 months? Or is it just your opinion thats changed?
The teams "looking" are pretty much no longer looking. TO is out, Tampa is out, Florida is probably out, Columbus is out. It's a matter of numbers now.

There's simply no fit anymore. Pitt and Phi cant afford it either. So who could use him and has the room and also has the ability to take on the term? Phoenix? It's the only reasonable possibility but with their situation, I dont see it.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
THAT'S a whole different mess

I don't know. I've been thinking - if it's on re-entry waivers, isn't the contract split in half? Canucks claim half for remainder of player (plus penalty from retirement) and team that claims him like wise?
The Canucks would be further ahead to trade him with 10-25% salary retention than pay 50% on re-entry. They would at least get some assets if they traded.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:00 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
THAT'S a whole different mess

I don't know. I've been thinking - if it's on re-entry waivers, isn't the contract split in half? Canucks claim half for remainder of player (plus penalty from retirement) and team that claims him like wise?
The new cba allow a team to retain salary, but the Canucks are so badly up against the cap wall, they don't want to retain salary: already over the 2013-2014 cap with only 17 players signed.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Halibut

There are no re-entry waivers anymore so no picking him up at half cap.

The only trades that make sense to me are something like Luongo to the Islanders for Dipietro and a 2nd or some marginal prospect. With the cap dropping and everyone knowing the Canucks have to get rid of him teams are only going to be willing to give up problem contracts of their own. Every team knows the situation the Canucks are in and they have lots of options for getting a good goaltender.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
The teams "looking" are pretty much no longer looking. TO is out, Tampa is out, Florida is probably out, Columbus is out. It's a matter of numbers now.

There's simply no fit anymore. Pitt and Phi cant afford it either. So who could use him and has the room and also has the ability to take on the term? Phoenix? It's the only reasonable possibility but with their situation, I dont see it.
Philly, NYI, Calgary (pending Kipper), Wild (pending Backstrom), Capitals, and if the price has come down I woulnt be surprised if FLA is in it.

But to say what teams are/arent in is just speculation by me

Old
06-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Philly, NYI, Calgary (pending Kipper), Wild (pending Backstrom), Capitals, and if the price has come down I woulnt be surprised if FLA is in it.

I think the Wild are a possibility. The Islanders (depending on Nabby resigning) also. Calgary is in rebuild mode, so a good goalie isn't high on their list. The Caps have Holtby/Neuverth so i think thet are out.

Philly is a wildcard....if they buy out Bryz......who knows.I don't know how FLA truly feels about Markstrom (his play and injuries).

These are just opinions/speculation by me.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Petes2424

Quote:

Each team mentioned has far more reasons NOT to acquire Luongo than they do to trade for him. I just dont see it. My speculation of course also...

Old
06-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Each team mentioned has far more reasons NOT to acquire Luongo than they do to trade for him. I just dont see it. My speculation of course also...
I think there are enough goaltending options out there that it makes sense for anyone interested to wait until the Canucks buy him out. The Flyers at least should have learned from the Bryzgalov situation and what Bobrovsky did in Columbus not to tie themselves to a mega contract for a long time.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

It sounds like the isles want to go with Nabby+ Bernier. There's a report out of Newsday that Snow called Lombardi about Bernier this season and was told he wasn't available.

From what King fans are saying, they need a cheap lw. The rumors coming from LA are that the Flyers have offered Read for Bernier this season.

If the isles lose out on Bernier, I would expect Snow to kick the tires on Khudobin, Hiller, Greiss, Halak.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:31 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Gillis is still waiting for that perfect package.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:36 PM
CurlyWatts
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
It sounds like the isles want to go with Nabby+ Bernier. There's a report out of Newsday that Snow called Lombardi about Bernier this season and was told he wasn't available.

From what King fans are saying, they need a cheap lw. The rumors coming from LA are that the Flyers have offered Read for Bernier this season.

If the isles lose out on Bernier, I would expect Snow to kick the tires on Khudobin, Hiller, Greiss, Halak.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders signed Khudobin if they fail to land Bernier. Nabby will help the transition to see if the stats posted by Khudobin in Boston are real or protected by the Bruins defensive style of play.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Gillis is still waiting for that perfect package.
Either Gillis' definition of perfect is gonna have to change or he can sit on his hands for a bit and see what happens.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I think there are enough goaltending options out there that it makes sense for anyone interested to wait until the Canucks buy him out. The Flyers at least should have learned from the Bryzgalov situation and what Bobrovsky did in Columbus not to tie themselves to a mega contract for a long time.
My thoughts, a team like the Wild and Philly (if they buy out Bryz) "should" be interested in Luongo as they are contenders.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
My thoughts, a team like the Wild and Philly (if they buy out Bryz) "should" be interested in Luongo as they are contenders.
Why would they rush to get him after rushing and dropping a wad of cash on Bryzgalov only to have him bought out a couple years later? They'd look like the biggest fools in all of sports if they buy out Bryzgalov this year only to have to do the same to Luongo next year and if they buy out Briere as expected they wont have one left for Roberto.

I think the only way the Flyers go after Luongo is if he is bought out or in a swap for Bryzgalov who the Canucks can buy out. Maybe the Canucks can get an extra piece thrown in for taking Bryzgalov but it wont be a huge piece, more like a 2nd round pick.

I cant see the wild chasing Luongo with that huge contract either, after Parise and Suter and marginal results there cant be that much money left in the bank to take on Luongo.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
The main reason I don't see him being bought out is, unlike other buy-out candidates
- Very healthy/durable
- Still playing at a very high level
- Caphit is actually pretty good

I know the cap-penalty sucks.. but (sorry if I screw up the number) 1.4 million is definitely not detrimental.
- Its not actual dollars, its just cap space (so no additional financial obligation)
- How many teams spend within 1.4 million of the cap each year?

I think this does have a negative impact on his value, but I don't believe its the difference between a modest return and having to buy him out/take on garbage contracts.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedthought View Post
You may not believe this but I lost a lot of respect for Dredge on Free Agency Trade deadline. Lets look at how this ran...

A.) The leaks are legit - Why would one side keep trying to cut a deal when TSN was leaking every offer? General Managers have a lot of pride and do not want to be taken or look bad. Gillis has made it clear by firing Vignault that he is concerned with public image with the fans.
So why keep beating that horse if it was obvious Nonis was dicking him around?

B.) The leaks are fake - This whole season I watched a campaign to drive down Lou's value on TSN and CBC and it opened my eyes to how slanted and bia's our sports networks are. So running with that we see leak after leak looking like a desperate GM losing his cool trying to dump Lou. Honestly dont think the owners would keep him around if he was that uncool.

Bit of a unorganized rant but I dont buy those leaks and will wait and see at the draft for a clearer idea of whats what.

As for the contract,it sucks for sure. I feel sorry for Lou and think the guy deserved to be treated better than he has this year. He has shown true character.
Dreger likes to release rumours that benefit his team and his boy, that much is obvious to anyone who's ever had to do some critical thinking.

Lots of the teenagers around here sure do lap up his tidbits though.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Halibut

Quote:
I think this does have a negative impact on his value, but I don't believe its the difference between a modest return and having to buy him out/take on garbage contracts.
I think it's the long commitment that's the biggest problem not the penalty so much. What's a team going to do in 2 or 3 years if they've got a better option in net? Sure he still may be playing well but every team has prospects looking to come into the league and if they show up and outplay him what do you do?

Cant hide his cap in the minors any more, you'll be past the amnesty buyout stage, he'll be untradeable. Basically any team taking him on risks a $5.33 cap hit for their backup. Much safer to wait until he's bought out and sign him to a cheaper shorter term deal.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Without meaning to flame folk, I have to point out the irony of the attitude that some of you Nuck fans are striking. You're all quick to totally dismiss Dreger because you don't like what he has to say. At the same time, you all were absolutely convinced you were getting all sorts of goodies from the Isles based on a speculative tweet from McKenzie and four sentences from E. Friedman. Apparently, sources like TSN are not very trustworthy when they shed Luongo's trade value in a negative light. But, of course, it a columnist speculates about VCR getting good return, that is truth.

In reality, all sources should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Dreger is very connected, and very smart. He is also very quick to use statements like "it is believed" (that is, "my friends and I think") to back up speculative postions. And, yeah, he has an obvious pro-Toronto bias. I suspect that is less about his own feelings and more about his desire to pander to his fanbase. But, either way, you do have to treat his reports with skepticism.

I also think that a few of you are making yourselves look a bit biased with statements about Luongo being top five, and playing at that level way into his late thirties. None of that is realistic. And, all of that just totally ignores his occasional collapses in big games.

And, then there is the larger issues here. You guys are swimming against tides if you really believe that contracts don't matter to a huge extend. Spin it anyway you want, but no GM wants a mid thirties guy on a 8 year deal with 5+ million cap hit. Add in the NTC, the playoff meltdowns, and the fact that VCR is up against the cap and is as motivated a seller as there is, and the picture is not pretty. Under the best of circumstances you would have had a hard time getting any real value here and these are not the best circumstances.

What is true is that Luongo remains a high level netminder who would be an upgrade for many teams. I also think he is a classy athelete with a wicked sense of humor, and would be a great guy to market for a team trying to put fans in the seats. So, maybe something will work out for VCR here and a GM will blink.

Personally, I think he clears waivers and gets bought out. But, I'd be lying if I said I was confident in that position. And, if he wound up being snapped up in some kind of deal I would not be totally shocked.

Bottom line, nobody knows what will happen. Too complex a situation, and too many cards to be played. World class athelete with volatile market and all sorts of other stuff happening.

I can say with about 110% confidence that he won't be on the Island though. And, I invite all of your to bump this and flame away if I am wrong.

06-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
I think it's the long commitment that's the biggest problem not the penalty so much. What's a team going to do in 2 or 3 years if they've got a better option in net? Sure he still may be playing well but every team has prospects looking to come into the league and if they show up and outplay him what do you do?

Cant hide his cap in the minors any more, you'll be past the amnesty buyout stage, he'll be untradeable. Basically any team taking him on risks a $5.33 cap hit for their backup. Much safer to wait until he's bought out and sign him to a cheaper shorter term deal.
The assumption that you will have a better option in 2-3 year is a big one...

Old
06-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Why would they rush to get him after rushing and dropping a wad of cash on Bryzgalov only to have him bought out a couple years later? They'd look like the biggest fools in all of sports if they buy out Bryzgalov this year only to have to do the same to Luongo next year and if they buy out Briere as expected they wont have one left for Roberto.

I think the only way the Flyers go after Luongo is if he is bought out or in a swap for Bryzgalov who the Canucks can buy out. Maybe the Canucks can get an extra piece thrown in for taking Bryzgalov but it wont be a huge piece, more like a 2nd round pick.

I cant see the wild chasing Luongo with that huge contract either, after Parise and Suter and marginal results there cant be that much money left in the bank to take on Luongo.
Why would Philly? Because Ed Snider (supposedly) doesn't care about cash. They are contenders NOW and i don't think Mason is exactly going to be a stellar starter. Luongo is a major upgrade over Bryz skill wise and actually has a lower cap hit. Bryz' buyout is around 1.6ish until 2027. Philly fans have pretty much said Snider would have no issue with that.

Why would the Wild? While i understand the cap concerns, they are also built to win now. They have been paying (cap) Backstrom 6mil for the last 4 years, so Luongo's 5.3 shouldn't be an issue.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Stopping Pucks

vCash: 50
I've been saying it for a while... It would be pretty nice to see Lou in a Wild sweater if Backstrom isn't re-signed.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:54 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

Canuck fans make the absolute worst threads on HF. It's really embarrassing.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDZx View Post
I've been saying it for a while... It would be pretty nice to see Lou in a Wild sweater if Backstrom isn't re-signed.
I agree, he'd be a perfect fit. Would you be willing to trade for him now at a decent payment?

Old
06-12-2013, 02:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyWatts View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders signed Khudobin if they fail to land Bernier. Nabby will help the transition to see if the stats posted by Khudobin in Boston are real or protected by the Bruins defensive style of play.
Snow and his scouts do a good job of identifying ufas, who they think can carry a heavier load then they have for their old teams: Streit, Moulson, PAP and Boyes.

Khudobin looking for a #1 spot, just seems like he'd be a good fit.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Earth Rocker

The current value of Luongo is a 3rd or 4th round pick.

His play is worth much more than that, but Gillis gave him stupid money and played stupid media games. Guy should take what he can get for him now.

Closed Thread