HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josef Balej

Old
10-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What a goal that was eh. I remember seeing it the first time and just nearly ******** myself.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Darz

The reason Joseph Balej isn't on an NHL roster right now, is because no team in the NHL wants him. His value is about close to zero as it possiblely could be. If we never traded Balej for Kovalelv, I'm sure at soem point between then and now we would of moved him for a 4th round pick or cut him, or something like that. In other words he would be in the same place as he is in now.

Heck..the Canucks were so desperate for fairly cheap offensive talent they signed Jan Bulis. If they felt Joseph Balej could give them any level of offense, I'm sure they would of given him a chance. But like ever other NHL team, the Nucks figure he is AHL material only.

Imo...

Joseph Balej = NHL bust. Period. Put him in that big group of prospects that at one time or another showed NHL promise, but never delivered on it.

10-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Any of you miss the guy? He signed a contract with a swiss team and is seemingly doing quite well (http://www.fribourg-gotteron.ch/stat...atistiques.jsp). I was under the impression that this guys speed + skill could have done quite well in the "new" nhl. He was basicaly a lock to make the Canucks line up this year, and I believe that they still have his rights. Sure we got Kovalev for him, but we probably could've got Kovy for something less (Rags were just trying to get rid of his contract). *Where do you think Balej would be if he wasn't traded.

If we still had him, I'm sure he'd be pushing for a top 9 spot.
Get him "for something less" then a guy who isn't even playing in the NHL? I would say it was a great trade anytime you can pick up someone like Kovalev for a player who isn't even playing in the NHL this year...IMO

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
The reason Joseph Balej isn't on an NHL roster right now, is because no team in the NHL wants him. His value is about close to zero as it possiblely could be. If we never traded Balej for Kovalelv, I'm sure at soem point between then and now we would of moved him for a 4th round pick or cut him, or something like that. In other words he would be in the same place as he is in now.

Heck..the Canucks were so desperate for fairly cheap offensive talent they signed Jan Bulis. If they felt Joseph Balej could give them any level of offense, I'm sure they would of given him a chance. But like ever other NHL team, the Nucks figure he is AHL material only.

Imo...

Joseph Balej = NHL bust. Period. Put him in that big group of prospects that at one time or another showed NHL promise, but never delivered on it.
I see some Joseph Balej in Juraj Mikus.....is that bad????

Personally we definately ripped the Rangers though they wanted to get rid of that contract like we wanted to do with Theo, but I still believe he didn't get his chance. Don't you know that Balej has an average of 1 point per game in the NHL since 2005....... (ok he played 1 game, had 1 assist but.....)

I personnally can't think that you can say a player is a bust after playing 18 games in the highest level. 13 games with the Rangers was the highest number of games he played in 1 year and that was pre-New NHL. Who knows if he can't rebound......Hainsey was on the verge of being called a bust, if he wasn't called one already and look what he's doing now.....it's often just a matter of confidence, 'cause the talent seems there.

But for Kovy, that was a heck of a trade for us at the time and still is.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDHab View Post
Get him "for something less" then a guy who isn't even playing in the NHL? I would say it was a great trade anytime you can pick up someone like Kovalev for a player who isn't even playing in the NHL this year...IMO
You don't get it. Shabutie despises Kovalev so much that ANYTHING Gainey would give to get him is too much, even a total nonentity like Balej. Every goal Kovy scores pains Shabutie like a pin stuck into a voodoo doll, and every time Plekanec or Samsonov (or one of the two Dmen) scores a goal, he silently prays that Kovy doesn't get an assist.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:17 PM
BLONG7

Balej seemed too soft...Habs, Rags and Canucks all thought so too...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You don't get it. Shabutie despises Kovalev so much that ANYTHING Gainey would give to get him is too much, even a total nonentity like Balej. Every goal Kovy scores pains Shabutie like a pin stuck into a voodoo doll, and every time Plekanec or Samsonov (or one of the two Dmen) scores a goal, he silently prays that Kovy doesn't get an assist.
Lol, as much as I "dislike" Kovalev, I love the habs...if he were to score 5 goals in a game, I'd cheer for him just as much as I cheer for Ryder, Higgins, Koivu or any other player.

Old
10-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Balej seemed too soft...Habs, Rags and Canucks all thought so too...
True, he's probably a bust (though who knows...Canuck fans seem to think he was a shoe-in for their top 12, till he signed in swiss). I would've liked to see what Balej could've been...just like Hossa...but maybe both of em are just too soft and lazy to make it in this game.

Old
10-12-2006, 04:00 PM
pavlako11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Any of you miss the guy? He signed a contract with a swiss team and is seemingly doing quite well (http://www.fribourg-gotteron.ch/stat...atistiques.jsp). I was under the impression that this guys speed + skill could have done quite well in the "new" nhl. He was basicaly a lock to make the Canucks line up this year, and I believe that they still have his rights. Sure we got Kovalev for him, but we probably could've got Kovy for something less (Rags were just trying to get rid of his contract). *Where do you think Balej would be if he wasn't traded.

If we still had him, I'm sure he'd be pushing for a top 9 spot.
It's a really REALLY hard question to answer, because I'm sure if we didn't have Kovalev, Gainey would've gotten someone else. The status quo wouldn't have remained. I really don't think he'd crack our top 9, now or even back then.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Habs4ever

As I recall

Rangers were given two choice of wit Plekanec or Balez, they went for bigger potential higher risk in balez, lucky us, lets enjoy plekanec while we can, he's gone be replacing Koivu and taking over similar responsibilities in similar fashion!!

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote