HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Mats86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Who are your ideal picks at 25? I've seen you post a lot about the guys you don't want so I'm curious to know who you like My apologies if you've posted them before and I missed em.
Petan I've said several times....I don't draft for need because in 3-4 years when they reach NHL, team concept usually changes and we likely looking for total different player. Morin if he's there I like also...Theodore could be sleeper for us in 1st round, he's going to be better than we think.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Simerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Mantha's bread and butter is his one-timer from the right circle area on his off-wing. He shoots from the left side. It's deadly accurate.
Fat Cammaleri?

Old
06-12-2013, 12:43 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I used to be more in favor of Dauphin, but I think I'm more pro-Poirier now after doing some more research. Love his straight ahead speed and he's bigger. It's close between the 2 players though. I'm content with 1 of them at 34/36.
Boff... he's more mature physically, but you'd expect that out of a late birthday. One inch won't make any difference at the NHL level.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:49 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simerc View Post
Fat Cammaleri?
Bigger Cammalleri

Old
06-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Sam I Am

How about Peter Cehlarik with our 3rd or late 2nd?

“The Slovak winger is 6-2 and 192 pounds. He spent this past season moving up through Lulea’s two junior leagues and eventually onto Lulea in the Swedish Elite League (SEL), the highest level of hockey in the country. There he posted three goals and three assists in eight games. He played well for Slovakia’s U18 team in Sochi this past April, scoring twice and adding five assists in six games. Keep an eye to see which NHL team drafts him and how high he goes. A team that has done its homework could end up with a nice project on its hands.”

Old
06-12-2013, 01:19 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Petan I've said several times....I don't draft for need because in 3-4 years when they reach NHL, team concept usually changes and we likely looking for total different player. Morin if he's there I like also...Theodore could be sleeper for us in 1st round, he's going to be better than we think.
People keep saying we shouldn't draft for needs, yet if you look at the Habs, most of our core players are Habs draft picks.

All of our forward prospects are on the smallish side (Collberg, Kristo, Hudon), not sure where we will magically find a big gritty Top-6 forward if we don't draft him.

If you think we can sign a UFA big gritty Top-6 forward, just look at our cap space, and see what Clarkson will fetch this year (every team wants big gritty forwards and will overpay for them).

What other options is there, trading for one? Who do we have that we can spare that would fetch us one?

Why do people keep ignoring what Bergevin said at his year-end conference that this team will be built through the draft, and that he wants the team to get bigger.

There's no way we draft Petan in the 1st round, we only draft Petan if he falls to #55 where he becomes a value pick.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

To me, Cehlarik seems like the real deal. I'd love to get him with our 2nd, but worry he'll be gone.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:37 PM
ReppingMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
People keep saying we shouldn't draft for needs, yet if you look at the Habs, most of our core players are Habs draft picks.

All of our forward prospects are on the smallish side (Collberg, Kristo, Hudon), not sure where we will magically find a big gritty Top-6 forward if we don't draft him.

If you think we can sign a UFA big gritty Top-6 forward, just look at our cap space, and see what Clarkson will fetch this year (every team wants big gritty forwards and will overpay for them).

What other options is there, trading for one? Who do we have that we can spare that would fetch us one?

Why do people keep ignoring what Bergevin said at his year-end conference that this team will be built through the draft, and that he wants the team to get bigger.

There's no way we draft Petan in the 1st round, we only draft Petan if he falls to #55 where he becomes a value pick.

No way Petan drops that low IMHO. I'm all for Petan at 25 as well. If we get him in our early second round picks, even better! I understand the need for size but like the poster you quoted, what if in three, four years, we revamp our lineup via free agency and we somehow are lacking the cerebral players? Petan's my pick.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Habsfannick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingMTL View Post
[/B]

No way Petan drops that low IMHO. I'm all for Petan at 25 as well. If we get him in our early second round picks, even better! I understand the need for size but like the poster you quoted, what if in three, four years, we revamp our lineup via free agency and we somehow are lacking the cerebral players? Petan's my pick.
You can't revamp your team via free agency because the prices are horribly high... And revamp who? We have 3-4 of our future top 6 players already in galchenyuk, pacioretty, Gallagher and Eller, none of them screams power forward to me

Old
06-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I'd be happy with Morin, Erne, Horvat, Domi or Lazar. The player I really want is Barkov...

Old
06-12-2013, 02:14 PM
ReppingMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
You can't revamp your team via free agency because the prices are horribly high... And revamp who? We have 3-4 of our future top 6 players already in galchenyuk, pacioretty, Gallagher and Eller, none of them screams power forward to me
Agreed. Nonetheless, like you said, we have four of our future players in the top 6. That leaves room for really one real power forward. If we did it via trade or FA, our lineup changes considerably with one player. All I'm saying is, if we are not giving Petan the time of day because we consider ourselves undersized and we pick someone else possibly less skilled to fit the bill, maybe in four years, when we somehow acquire that PF or even draft him in the later rounds, we might be thinking why we didn't draft a skill guy to compliment them.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post

If Timmins' opinion is that the clear BPA at #25 is small, then I hope he fights for that pick, and I hope Bergevin defers to Timmins' area of expertise. I could see that situation occurring with Petan or Lehkonen. We will likely add a large prospect at #34 or #36 anyway.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
uocooco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Dark Knight's Detailed 2013 Mock w/ Comparisons (2nd Edition)
2013 Entry Draft

25. Montreal Canadiens - LW Kerby Rychel
I was thinking Ian McCoshen here but Rychel falling has me thinking Montreal might just want to keep adding on toughness with skill, with the addition of Rychel. He will definitely become an NHL'er and he's got potential to be a 2nd line PF.
Comparison - Andrew Ladd
I wouldn't mind Kerby. With Pavel Buchnevich and Mike McCarron. Hayden with our last 2nd and Diaby with one of our thirds.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:37 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I used to be more in favor of Dauphin, but I think I'm more pro-Poirier now after doing some more research. Love his straight ahead speed and he's bigger. It's close between the 2 players though. I'm content with 1 of them at 34/36.
I often written on this board that I would take Dauphin at 34 and Poirier at 36.
This would represent two solid picks.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:48 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
I'd be happy with Morin, Erne, Horvat, Domi or Lazar. The player I really want is Barkov...
I'd be happy with MacKinnon. Unfortunately, we have as much a chance at getting one of Horvat, Barkov, Lazar or Morin at 25 as we do getting MacKinnon. As the draft approaches, we should try to remain as realistic as possible. There will be enough promising talent available without having to resort to fantasy. Erne, on the other hand, is one of several players that may be available that Timmins will, or should be, considering selecting at 25.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:55 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
I'd be happy with MacKinnon. Unfortunately, we have as much a chance at getting one of Horvat, Barkov, Lazar or Morin at 25 as we do getting MacKinnon. As the draft approaches, we should try to remain as realistic as possible. There will be enough promising talent available without having to resort to fantasy. Erne, on the other hand, is one of several players that may be available that Timmins will, or should be, considering selecting at 25.
Your constant assurances about what will happen at the draft are getting old. I'm sure the Capitals thought they had no chance at Forsberg, the Hawks had no chance at Teravainen, the Ducks had no chance at Fowler, etc. We have just as much a chance at Horvat, Lazar and Morin at 25 as those teams did with those players at the spots they were picking at, so what's the harm in discussing it?

Old
06-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
I totally agree. UFAs can be prohibitively expensive. And you can't trade your way out of this. Other teams have gotten with the program -- they're not going to take your diminutive forward who plays a perimeter game and hand you a skilled power forward.

I've yet to hear a GM say "we need to get smaller and less physical next year". And yet, the Habs seem to have become an unintended byproduct of that.

Unless the playing surface is enlarged, skilled, big-bodied players will continue to be at a premium.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Runner77

Quote:
We have just as much a chance at Horvat, Lazar and Morin at 25 as those teams did with those players at the spots they were picking at, so what's the harm in discussing it?
Based on projections by experts in past years, there is a 20-25% failure rate in correctly identifying players who will be drafted in the first round (never mind looking at their exact placement within the round). There will be fallers. As to who it could be, well, that's a whole other debate.

Old
Draft

Quote:
Your constant assurances about what will happen at the draft are getting old. I'm sure the Capitals thought they had no chance at Forsberg, the Hawks had no chance at Teravainen, the Ducks had no chance at Fowler, etc. We have just as much a chance at Horvat, Lazar and Morin at 25 as those teams did with those players at the spots they were picking at, so what's the harm in discussing it?
For what it's worth, I wouldn't take Horvat in the top-18, maybe not even in the top-20. Not overly impressed with his tools and it seems he got hot at the right time. I've watched him a couple of times and I don't see the love, he's not outstanding by any means and I wouldn't draft a 3rd liner in the top-20. So, if other GMs think similarly to me (which they, and most of you, likely don't), Horvat could even be available at our pick.

Old
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
I often written on this board that I would take Dauphin at 34 and Poirier at 36.
I agree. In fact, I would select Poirier at 34 and risk that Dauphin will be there at 36. I think Poirier is a better prospect and this writer would have no regrets if the Canadiens aggressively take him at 25. Dauphin is a nice prospect and will almost certainly play in the NHL. He is one of a number of excellent prospects that will be available between 25 and 36. Everyone on this board has their favorites. I prefer Dickinson to Dauphin. Both are good picks as are all the other names that have been discussed in the lead up to this draft. We're in a great position having multiple relatively high picks in a very deep draft. Let's hope Timmins chooses wisely. To make a mistake in this draft will take a real talent for failure and ineptitude.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
Some say these players won't be available in the second round. I hope they are, for our sake.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:15 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
For what it's worth, I wouldn't take Horvat in the top-18, maybe not even in the top-20. Not overly impressed with his tools and it seems he got hot at the right time. I've watched him a couple of times and I don't see the love, he's not outstanding by any means and I wouldn't draft a 3rd liner in the top-20. So, if other GMs think similarly to me (which they, and most of you, likely don't), Horvat could even be available at our pick.
If the Mike Richards comparisons are correct, I don't see what the issue is with Bo going as high as 12-15. From what I've read in scouting reports (the limit of my knowledge), he brings a whole host of intangibles to go along with his solid two-way game: grit, tenacity, leadership, competitiveness, etc...

He seems like a player built for playoff hockey. If we manage the improbable and draft him at #25, I'd be ecstatic! Again, keep in mind my opinion is entirely based on what the scouts say.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:18 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
I agree. In fact, I would select Poirier at 34 and risk that Dauphin will be there at 36. I think Poirier is a better prospect and this writer would have no regrets if the Canadiens aggressively take him at 25. Dauphin is a nice prospect and will almost certainly play in the NHL. He is one of a number of excellent prospects that will be available between 25 and 36. Everyone on this board has their favorites. I prefer Dickinson to Dauphin. Both are good picks as are all the other names that have been discussed in the lead up to this draft. We're in a great position having multiple relatively high picks in a very deep draft. Let's hope Timmins chooses wisely. To make a mistake in this draft will take a real talent for failure and ineptitude.
I suppose I would choose the guy (between Dauphin and Poirier) who demonstrates through his interview that he would be immensely honoured to be Hab...go through a brick wall to represent the Bleu/Blanc/Rouge. Honour could have a positive affect on our decision. I don't want a player who doesn't care where he goes.
You can tell Gallagher feels honoured to be part of Le Club d'Hockey Canadien.
If both Poirier and Dauphin equally demonstrate the desire to be members of the Hab organization...I would jump at the opportunity of choosing both players.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:20 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
If the Mike Richards comparisons are correct, I don't see what the issue is with Bo going as high as 12-15. From what I've read in scouting reports (the limit of my knowledge), he brings a whole host of intangibles to go along with his solid two-way game: grit, tenacity, leadership, competitiveness, etc...
I can see the comparisons but I don't think Horvat will ever be as physical or the hitter that Richards is.

I certainly think he'll be gone by say 17 at the latest, but as always in the draft, it's not impossible that he slips lower. And I'd take him at 25 in a second, of course.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:20 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
I prefer to write about and discuss probabilities and not possibilities. It leads to a much more fruitful and productive discussion. What is a mock other than an effort to predict, whether assuredly or otherwise, what will happen at the draft?

Closed Thread