HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 11:00 PM
hockey diva
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I thought he got traded to Carolina and then waived?

Old
06-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I thought he got traded to Carolina and then waived?
Yes, he was traded to Carolina, then waived and picked up by Philly. I stand corrected.

Nate Thompson is my new answer. I know he plays center for Tampa!

Last edited by Seth Lake: 06-12-2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Update
Old
06-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Streit's rights traded to Philly

Old
06-12-2013, 12:41 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Oh well. It's almost worth it to see crazy Holmgren in action.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Top 6 Spaling

With Gonchar and Streit gone, the list of Dmen we could go after for that #4 spot continues to shrink. At this point, I'm thinking Scuderi is the only one I'm interested in.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:52 PM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
With Gonchar and Streit gone, the list of Dmen we could go after for that #4 spot continues to shrink. At this point, I'm thinking Scuderi is the only one I'm interested in.
I didnt even know Scuderi would be available. I would be more than willing to throw some money and years at him. Very dependable, especially with Klein. Reliable pair right there.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCola88 View Post
I didnt even know Scuderi would be available. I would be more than willing to throw some money and years at him. Very dependable, especially with Klein. Reliable pair right there.
The Kings have to make room for Voynov, that's why Scuderi is available

Old
06-12-2013, 01:08 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Streit isn't gone. No guarantee he signs in Philly. See Hamhuis.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:27 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
while anything culd still happen, Streit never seemed like the right move anyway.

IIRC he came to the NHL later in life so he hasnt made the huge pile of cash that 35 year olds who have been in the league since age 20 have. I would think he is looking for as much money and as many years as he can get, whereas we really only need a one to two year stopgap 2nd pair guy until one of the youngsters is up and running

Old
06-12-2013, 02:08 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Without moving one or more of SK, Smith, and Blum the Preds can bring in one FA at about $4mil. Say a Scuderi type to solidify the back end while we see who best develops of Ekholm, Ellis, Bartley and possibly Blum if he's retained. Thats assuming we keep Spaling at a small raise and either Hali or Yip as the 13th forward and sign our draft pick around $3.5mil cap hit after possible bonuses.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:24 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Without moving one or more of SK, Smith, and Blum the Preds can bring in one FA at about $4mil. Say a Scuderi type to solidify the back end while we see who best develops of Ekholm, Ellis, Bartley and possibly Blum if he's retained. Thats assuming we keep Spaling at a small raise and either Hali or Yip as the 13th forward and sign our draft pick around $3.5mil cap hit after possible bonuses.
poile said we would ABSOLUTELY be acquiring a forward to replace erat and his production.. if he keeps his word, the scuderi type will have to wait as that 4 million will slotted for an upgrade in the top 6

really crazy how little space we have... thanks weber

Old
06-12-2013, 02:34 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
poile said we would ABSOLUTELY be acquiring a forward to replace erat and his production.. if he keeps his word, the scuderi type will have to wait as that 4 million will slotted for an upgrade in the top 6

really crazy how little space we have... thanks weber
Weber didnt kill us on the cap he killed us at the bank. His cap hit is only 800K more than pekkas.

with the cap going down we are in much better shape than many teams.

I predict Poile makes one UFA signing and one significant trade to plug our holes. If we do end up needing a bit of cap space Gill's 2 million is where we will find it, either by trading him along with a pick or low level prospect for a minor leaguer or else via buyout.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:52 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Definite
Fish
Leggy
Wilson
Beck
Borky
Horny
SK
Goose
Clune

Probably
Smith
Hali
Spals
Forsberg

Maybe
Watson
Yip (UFA)
Butler (RFA)

Some sort of trade has to go down.

Last edited by AtlantaWhaler: 06-12-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Added Clune. Forgot he has another year. Didn't know Butler is still RFA.
Old
06-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Persona5

Said it before and I'll say it again. Trade SK for a bag of pucks(JK...some sort of future draft pick) and sign Stalberg and Ference. You should be able to get that done and still have around 2m under the cap.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:17 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Said it before and I'll say it again. Trade SK for a bag of pucks(JK...some sort of future draft pick) and sign Stalberg and Ference. You should be able to get that done and still have around 2m under the cap.
Stalberg, the same guy that is out of the lineup tonight against Boston? The same guy that has been in and out of the lineup for Chicago the entire playoffs? Pass.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:22 PM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Agreed. I don't think we will be seeing Halishuck or Spaling in the lineup next year so that will give us some extra space for the deadline.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:25 PM
RCola88

What about the possibility of picking up a bought out Heatly?

Old
06-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Top 6 Spaling

We, like 90% of teams, are in a position where it would be ideal to swing a trade that gives up depth for quality. I'm hoping Poile can pull a little magic from somewhere and find a team like Pittsburgh, Philly, or Washington that needs depth and trade them some combination of SK/Gill/Blum/Ellis/Halischuk/Spaling/Gaustad/Smith/etc. and bring back a legit top 6 forward or a legit top 4 D. That is, however, much easier said than done.

If Pitt does lose Duper and/or Iginla to UFA, I think SK could be an intriguing option for them. His cap hit isn't bad, and his passing would benefit greatly from being on a line with the likes of Crosby or Malkin - and he would definitely be there. Neal-Malkin-SK would actually be a filthy line.

My dream scenary is SK+Ellis+___ for Letang, but no chance that happens. Maybe SK+(something small) for Paul Martin?

Another option is SK for one of their very good D prospects. We have some good young NHLers, but after Ekholm, our D prospect pool is very, very weak.

EDIT: Posted on their boards and they countered with SK for Niskanen. I'd do it. Perfect 2nd pairing PMD in my opinion.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 06-12-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 03:45 PM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCola88 View Post
What about the possibility of picking up a bought out Heatly?
Heatley at 4-5 million on a two year deal would be really, really nice.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:49 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
Heatley at 4-5 million on a two year deal would be really, really nice.
I'd pay that much to see him shot out of a cannon.

No Thanks.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:51 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
We, like 90% of teams, are in a position where it would be ideal to swing a trade that gives up depth for quality. I'm hoping Poile can pull a little magic from somewhere and find a team like Pittsburgh, Philly, or Washington that needs depth and trade them some combination of SK/Gill/Blum/Ellis/Halischuk/Spaling/Gaustad/Smith/etc. and bring back a legit top 6 forward or a legit top 4 D. That is, however, much easier said than done.

If Pitt does lose Duper and/or Iginla to UFA, I think SK could be an intriguing option for them. His cap hit isn't bad, and his passing would benefit greatly from being on a line with the likes of Crosby or Malkin - and he would definitely be there. Neal-Malkin-SK would actually be a filthy line.

My dream scenary is SK+Ellis+___ for Letang, but no chance that happens. Maybe SK+(something small) for Paul Martin?

Another option is SK for one of their very good D prospects. We have some good young NHLers, but after Ekholm, our D prospect pool is very, very weak.

EDIT: Posted on their boards and they countered with SK for Niskanen. I'd do it. Perfect 2nd pairing PMD in my opinion.
The problem with SK is not just his performance this past season, not just the comments he made about wanting to stay with the KHL, but also the fact that he only has one year left. I would be shocked if we got any sort of big return for him.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
The problem with SK is not just his performance this past season, not just the comments he made about wanting to stay with the KHL, but also the fact that he only has one year left. I would be shocked if we got any sort of big return for him.
I think he could be a good low risk/high reward pickup for a team that can really use a playmaker. NJD, PITT, and DAL are the three that jump into my head first.

Niskanen is also a UFA after this year, so it's a 1 year deal for a 1 year deal. I think it addresses both teams needs nicely, and this lets us move Gill and one of Blum/Ellis and still have Weber, Josi, Klein, Niskanen, Blum/Ellis, Bartley, OKT, and Ekholm on the backend.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:15 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

It's funny, the entire team has a terrible year and we're ready to jettison some of the young guys like Spaling. I just don't get it. He's a team guy. He plays the PK well. The team record when he scores a goal is ridiculous. He's not flashy but he's a perfect bottom 6 guy. He's also going to come cheap. This fan base has wanted to get rid of Klein, Suter and others through the years because they didn't produce at levels they expected. Suter turned into one of the best in the game. Klein is as solid a second pair defenseman as you'll find. Spaling is a solid bottom 6 guy even though he had an off year but he's still real young and we've invested time in him.

I agree this team needs a shakeup of some sorts but we also have a very young team and young teams take time to develop. We will probably be inconsistent for the next year or two but if we let certain guys learn the NHL game, we will be fine in the long run. Patience when it comes to sports teams sucks but I really like the forwards that are coming through our system and as long as we hit a home run with our number 1 pick, we should be golden up front, even if only half the guys I like develop into NHL'ers.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I don't want to move Spaling, but if a team is moving a legit top 6 forward and wants a young bottom sixer as part of the return...I don't hesitate. This team is known for growing Spaling-types. Good player, but replaceable.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:19 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
It's funny, the entire team has a terrible year and we're ready to jettison some of the young guys like Spaling. I just don't get it. He's a team guy. He plays the PK well. The team record when he scores a goal is ridiculous. He's not flashy but he's a perfect bottom 6 guy. He's also going to come cheap. This fan base has wanted to get rid of Klein, Suter and others through the years because they didn't produce at levels they expected. Suter turned into one of the best in the game. Klein is as solid a second pair defenseman as you'll find. Spaling is a solid bottom 6 guy even though he had an off year but he's still real young and we've invested time in him.

I agree this team needs a shakeup of some sorts but we also have a very young team and young teams take time to develop. We will probably be inconsistent for the next year or two but if we let certain guys learn the NHL game, we will be fine in the long run. Patience when it comes to sports teams sucks but I really like the forwards that are coming through our system and as long as we hit a home run with our number 1 pick, we should be golden up front, even if only half the guys I like develop into NHL'ers.
I wouldnt say we are specifically ready to dump Spaling but it clear we have too many Spaling-type players, and someone or two of them have to go, be it Spaling, Hali, Butler, or Yip

Closed Thread