HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jake Gardiner for 7th overall pick (EDM)

Old
06-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Anth93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
There's no chance in hell Gardiner lands any of the big 4...
Alright then we're back to square one which was, "Jake Gardiner isn't for trade".

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Edmonton is used to getting sure things with their first overall picks so they don't expect that their 7th overall pick won't meet their expectations of being a player better than Gardiner. That being said, if Gardiner is the price needed to get that pick, I prefer to keep the player I know can play in the NHL. So in short; no thanks.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Yeah enough of this thread already, we'll keep jake, and you guys have fun developing more players. For consolation we will give you a free Ryan O'byrne t-shirt.

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:37 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
Yeah enough of this thread already, we'll keep jake, and you guys have fun developing more players. For consolation we will give you a free Ryan O'byrne t-shirt.
Well we'd be more than happy to trade you Peckham for a 1st round pick. Wouldn't want you having to develop people...

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:41 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Jake is already better than the average 7th overall pick turns into. Actually better than most of the good 7th overall picks turn into. Doesn't make sense to trade an excellent young player for a pick who might be a good young player a few years from now....especially since a typical 7th overall won't have more upside than Gardiner, and could bust outright.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Well we'd be more than happy to trade you Peckham for a 1st round pick. Wouldn't want you having to develop people...
Why exactly would we trade gardiner for some1 who is 2-3 years away from making an impact, that fits the oiler scheme with all of your young players and draft picks. Toronto's d is weak enough already, and this whole organization is generating the "win now" mentality (not by any means all in) but we arent in the developmental stage. Trading away gardiner makes no sense and we wont be doing it, especially for a draft pick, that doesnt mean that we arent going to draft people, it means that we arent hindering or setting back our own progress in order to wait for prospects to develop. /thread

Old
06-12-2013, 12:31 PM
crazyaces**

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Jake is already better than the average 7th overall pick turns into. Actually better than most of the good 7th overall picks turn into. Doesn't make sense to trade an excellent young player for a pick who might be a good young player a few years from now....especially since a typical 7th overall won't have more upside than Gardiner, and could bust outright.
I Agree with this!

Who can you draft at 7 that is going to be better than Jake? Sure there are players with upside - sure you can get lucky - but generally unless you are picking top 5 you're not getting a 1st line player, or a top pairing dman.

crazyaces** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
How has he? His first season maybe yes, but second season no. So he hasnt "proven" to be better. He does have the "potential" tho

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Earth Rocker

Only way I see the Leafs moving Gards to the Oilers is if RNH or Eberle are coming back.

No way he gets dealt for a pick, Nonis already said he will only trade young players for other young players....not for picks and not for Vets.

Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:04 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rocker View Post
Only way I see the Leafs moving Gards to the Oilers is if RNH or Eberle are coming back.

No way he gets dealt for a pick, Nonis already said he will only trade young players for other young players....not for picks and not for Vets.

Gardiner, the kid who spend the season in the AHL/ press box, returns you RNH

If you want an established young player, it would be Gagner. Thats his value at this satge in Gardiners career

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:14 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Some of you really need to learn reading comprehension.

As for the deal I doubt the Leafs do that unless Lindholm is there at #7 (even still that's a maybe), otherwise there's no point in trading a known commodity for another unknown a few years off.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Cam98

pass on Gardiner.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

If you want an established young player, it would be Gagner. Thats his value at this satge in Gardiners career
I don`t know if you`re just faking ignorance or have no idea what you`re talking about. Are you just gonna claim that you don`t know any better and that you only see black or white or do you actually know how Gardiner plays because all this post is telling me is that you only read headlines and news articles (about Gardiner being in the AHL etc.) and you have no idea how Gardiner plays.

If you did you wouldn`t use this as an argument and you would realize that Gardiner should have been playing with evidence pointing to the playoff series.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

I forgot about this thread, no gardiner for you. All we have available are holzer for a 2nd/3rd or costo's ufa rights for a bag of pucks. thats all.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:08 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaces View Post
I Agree with this!

Who can you draft at 7 that is going to be better than Jake? Sure there are players with upside - sure you can get lucky - but generally unless you are picking top 5 you're not getting a 1st line player, or a top pairing dman.
It's been said that this is a stronger draft than most.

Quote:
You know it's a really strong crop when the top five forwards on Red Line Report's list would all have been in contention for the top overall spot in the draft last year. In all honesty, it's probably the deepest forward class we've seen since 2003, a full decade ago.
He has those 5 forwards ranked Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov, Nichushkin, Monahan. With Lindholm very close to that group. There are 4 names in there that could become 1Cs. It might be Toronto's best chance at finding that guy they've been looking for since Sundin. Top line centers just aren't traded that often and rarely come on the market.

The Leafs could be comfortable with a top 4 of Phaneuf, Gunnarsson , Franson, and Liles. With Rielly coming soon Gardiner may be seen as expendable. He wasn't a huge part of the team's success this year and is still a valuable trading chip.

I proposed this on the Oilers board last night and got some positive responses, I'd be interested to see what Leaf fans thought of it.

Dubnyk + Marincin + 7th for Gardiner + Scrivens + 21st.

Main reason I think the Leafs consider this is to get a shot at a top line C. From 7 they could move up to 5(Canes may want to move down) and ensure their choice of Monahan/Lindholm, or maybe even Barkov. In Dubnyk, TO gets a goaltending upgrade and a great 1a/b tandem with Reimer. Marincin is a 6-5 puck moving defenseman coming off a great rookie year in the AHL(30p and +20). He could be ready for fill in duty as soon as next season.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:08 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

The Leafs should keep Gardiner. As for the Oilers, they don't need Gardiner more than they need the players that Leafs fans in this thread would desire in a trade.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:14 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I proposed this on the Oilers board last night and got some positive responses, I'd be interested to see what Leaf fans thought of it.

Main reason I think the Leafs consider this is to get a shot at a top line C. From 7 they could move up to 5(Canes may want to move down) and ensure their choice of Monahan/Lindholm, or maybe even Barkov. In Dubnyk, TO gets a goaltending upgrade and a great 1a/b tandem with Reimer. Marincin is a 6-5 puck moving defenseman coming off a great rookie year in the AHL(30p and +20). He could be ready for fill in duty as soon as next season.
Who plays goal for the Oilers after a trade like this?

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:16 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Who plays goal for the Oilers after a trade like this?
In my proposal on the Oilers board, I had a second deal of Ana 2nd + a Rajala/Pitlick/Hamilton type prospect for Luongo.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

Well, he was only in the AHL because of the lockout, then he suffered a concussion and like many players, it took him some time to get back to the level he was previously playing at.....the level that we saw with his 5 pts in 6 playoff games against the Bruins.

I would suggest being at least slightly informed while participating in a discussion.

Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:30 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
It's been said that this is a stronger draft than most.

He has those 5 forwards ranked Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov, Nichushkin, Monahan. With Lindholm very close to that group. There are 4 names in there that could become 1Cs. It might be Toronto's best chance at finding that guy they've been looking for since Sundin. Top line centers just aren't traded that often and rarely come on the market.

The Leafs could be comfortable with a top 4 of Phaneuf, Gunnarsson , Franson, and Liles. With Rielly coming soon Gardiner may be seen as expendable. He wasn't a huge part of the team's success this year and is still a valuable trading chip.

I'd ask for Smid instead as he fills the greater need, and be willing to offer up Reimer instead of Scrivens. ...i'll likely get chewed by other leafs fans, but, i'm a bit crazy anyways.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rocker View Post
Well, he was only in the AHL because of the lockout, then he suffered a concussion and like many players, it took him some time to get back to the level he was previously playing at.....the level that we saw with his 5 pts in 6 playoff games against the Bruins.

I would suggest being at least slightly informed while participating in a discussion.
You can't possibly use 6 games to judge any player, too small a sample size.
Are you valuing Gardiner based on those 6 games only? Or based on the rest of his career?

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Are you valuing Gardiner based on those 6 games only? Or based on the rest of his career?
Obviously it is going to be a small sample size when his career in the NHL has been small itself.

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
Developing more players? How about you develop Gardiner a little more so we can talk more about what he is, rather than what only Leaf fans seem to think he will be.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
But we can use the 12 game sample size in the regular season?
Or maybe we could use the 78 game sample size of last season. Which would you choose?

Old
06-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
I'd ask for Smid instead as he fills the greater need, and be willing to offer up Reimer instead of Scrivens. ...i'll likely get chewed by other leafs fans, but, i'm a bit crazy anyways.
Oilers woiuld not trade Smid to get Gardiner lol PLus the 7th and we take 21 and we move the better goalie to funny

Smid > Gardiner
7TH> 21st
Dubnyk> Scrivens yea im sure you would like that.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote