HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Mark Streit to a multi-year deal [4 yrs, $21m; $5.25 AAV] (post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 01:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I still think Coburn sucks and should be traded, but I wouldnt be replacing him with The Dane
I officially revoke my apology.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:31 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Do you think if Carle hadn't been allowed on the open market which didn't have to happen and drove his price up that we would be ok and not need Streit?
Streit is better than Carle.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:32 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
At this point he's a 35 year old 2nd pairing defenseman, and while his skill set will help the Flyers I think it would be asinine to give him anything more than 3y/15M. Given the organization's tendency to spend what it takes to get their guy, I don't think anybody is being unreasonable for waiting to see what the contract is before doing cartwheels.
What's an extra 1.5m over three years to secure him in Philly?

We have the cap space.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Hopefully more "loved" as well...

He has a shot right..unlike Carle?

Old
06-12-2013, 01:34 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Offer sheet the universe.
I don't know, I'm worried about the revenge offer sheets from the universe. Otherwise I wouldn't care, but... The universe!

Old
06-12-2013, 01:35 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:

We have the cap space.
Yes. Team needs certain assets more than money. The amnesty clauses open up the coffers.

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Call me crazy, but does a defense of

Timonen Schenn
Streit Coburn
Gus Grossmann

...actually seem quite good?
Until every single one of them is injured

The Couturier Effect

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Quote:
Sorry, meant to say $4M to $5M range that Streit will be looking for. He was making $4.1M per year on his expiring contract.
Maybe not as bad as we think?

Old
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Streit is a LOT better than Carle defensively. My only concern with Streit is his age, but he may have many great years left. Pronger and Briere have me thinking negatively on long term deals for older guys, but who knows.

Old
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Do you think if Carle hadn't been allowed on the open market which didn't have to happen and drove his price up that we would be ok and not need Streit?
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but if you're asking whether I'd prefer Streit or Carle at the same cap hit, the answer is Streit.

Carle is a bit better in his own zone than Streit--and probably a better outlet passer, but Streit is considerably more dynamic offensively.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:36 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Until every single one of them is injured
Don't worry. Krishna's body is ready. I've been bag skating him. He's almost ready for his callup.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:37 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
@TSNBobMcKenzie

Maybe not as bad as we think?
I hope we troll all of HF and sign him for 3 years at 4.00m.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:37 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Good trade and I hope he gets signed.

Hopefully it will be a 2 year deal buy in all likelihood it will be 3.

Cue the hilarity and 'LOL HOMER' posts when a 3 yr./5+mil contract is signed, but we can afford it. I honestly don't know why people freak about caphits so much, an extra million than you would've liked is not going to screw the pooch. A player like Streit is exactly what we need and we don't need to give up Couts or Schenn to get him.... That alone is worth an 'inflated' cap hit.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:38 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
I don't know, I'm worried about the revenge offer sheets from the universe. Otherwise I wouldn't care, but... The universe!
Well, when the earth reaches RFA status, we certainly don't want the sun paying us back in kind.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:41 PM
sg12lw

this should (if we sign him) take a little pressure off of kimmo too

he won't have to do literally everything for our D-core now

I like it. Get a deal done Homer

Old
06-12-2013, 01:41 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Good trade and I hope he gets signed.

Hopefully it will be a 2 year deal buy in all likelihood it will be 3.

Cue the hilarity and 'LOL HOMER' posts when a 3 yr./5+mil contract is signed, but we can afford it. I honestly don't know why people freak about caphits so much, an extra million than you would've liked is not going to screw the pooch. A player like Streit is exactly what we need and we don't need to give up Couts or Schenn to get him.... That alone is worth an 'inflated' cap hit.
a lot of people don't understand that in order to get 95% of the top-end UFAs signed, you have to over-pay them by at least a little bit

Old
06-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Wait, what? "don't know why people freak about caphits so much"...are you serious? I can't imagine why. It's not like there's this "cap" that the "caphit" counts against, and you can't go over it, and the Flyers are one of the teams perpetually at that "cap". They've mismanaged the cap repeatedly under Holmgren. I fail to see why we SHOULDN'T be worried about him screwing it up again.

I'm wary of this. Yes, it's an area they need to shore up, and Streit matches that pretty well. But, he's 35, and any deal with any sort of length potentially gets you in trouble with an injury. If it's not for too much money, ok, but 5+ and I'm not OK with the deal.

I'm also wondering what this means for the goalie situation. Brzy is gone and we're going with...Mason? Bernier? Someone else? This could be very worrisome as well.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Broad Street Elite

I could honestly see him getting 4 years with the final year being used to reduce the overall AAV closer to 4M per. Something like 6 - 5 - 4 - 2 (4.25 AAV). If not, I assume his AAV is closer to 5 on a 3 year deal.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:46 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Wait, what? "don't know why people freak about caphits so much"...are you serious? I can't imagine why. It's not like there's this "cap" that the "caphit" counts against, and you can't go over it, and the Flyers are one of the teams perpetually at that "cap". They've mismanaged the cap repeatedly under Holmgren. I fail to see why we SHOULDN'T be worried about him screwing it up again.

I'm wary of this. Yes, it's an area they need to shore up, and Streit matches that pretty well. But, he's 35, and any deal with any sort of length potentially gets you in trouble with an injury. If it's not for too much money, ok, but 5+ and I'm not OK with the deal.

I'm also wondering what this means for the goalie situation. Brzy is gone and we're going with...Mason? Bernier? Someone else? This could be very worrisome as well.
think of it this way....would you rather give up Harper and a 4th for Streit, or a combination of the Schenn brothers, Couturier, and a 1st for Yandle?

Old
06-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post

Assuming Bryzgalov is bought out (seems likely), the I think the goalie situation plays out one of two ways:

1) Some version of the Read for Bernier deal. I don't particularly like it. I'm not sold on Bernier, and I don't think Bernier/Mason is a particularly strong tandem.

2) Sign the best available UFA goalie on a short-term (1-2 year deal) and figure it out. N. Backstrom maybe?

Old
06-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Streit is a LOT better than Carle defensively. My only concern with Streit is his age, but he may have many great years left. Pronger and Briere have me thinking negatively on long term deals for older guys, but who knows.
I'm not as worried about age. Looked good in the playoffs. He only has 8 NHL seasons, so less wear and tear b/c he came over at 28.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:49 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

You sure Streit is better than Carle defensively? Look at the stats.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:52 PM
McNasty

Quote:

We have the cap space.
They have the cap space under the assumption that Bryz and Briere are bought out, and Meszaros is traded for anything. Streit obviously replaces Mez in that sense, but you still have 2 holes in the lineup that need to be filled. With Mez, Pronger, Bryz, and Briere all removed, and Streit signed at 5.5 they have a shade over 9M in cap space with no starting goalie, and you haven't done anything to improve your forwards other than hope Schenn and Couturier break out offensively.

A starting goalie and top 6 aren't exactly holes we can fill from within so those have to be acquired as well. If you overpay Streit you're going to have a hard time filling those spots without trading roster players (or without ****ing your cap situation when your superstar is due for an extension).

Mark Streit is a good stop gap solution so that the team can potentially draft and develop a puck moving defenseman, but Mark Streit isn't the type of player who's going to turn them into a legitimate Stanley Cup Contender, not with the other holes they have (with no way of filling them other than acquiring players not currently on the roster).

Old
06-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Assuming Bryzgalov is bought out (seems likely), the I think the goalie situation plays out one of two ways:

1) Some version of the Read for Bernier deal. I don't particularly like it. I'm not sold on Bernier, and I don't think Bernier/Mason is a particularly strong tandem.

2) Sign the best available UFA goalie on a short-term (1-2 year deal) and figure it out. N. Backstrom maybe?
1) I'd rather offersheet Bernier if we're going this route, personally. Save Read for either further trades to bolster the D, or use his versatility and skills in the lineup.

2) This might be a better choice if they really think Mason can be something. It's what they should have done instead of get Bryz in the first place, but oh well.

I don't think there's much doubt at this point that Bryz is a goner. I can't see how they can keep that cap hit around.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

Ray Emery? Mike Smith?

Rumours are St. Louis might look at Miller, therefore go after one of theirs? Elliott or Halak?

Lots of options and no need to rush. Can always re-up Boucher for the 5th time.

Closed Thread