HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Mark Streit to a multi-year deal [4 yrs, $21m; $5.25 AAV] (post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 01:56 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
If he wants 3-4 years he better not be expecting $6M.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
1) I'd rather offersheet Bernier if we're going this route, personally. Save Read for either further trades to bolster the D, or use his versatility and skills in the lineup.

2) This might be a better choice if they really think Mason can be something. It's what they should have done instead of get Bryz in the first place, but oh well.

I don't think there's much doubt at this point that Bryz is a goner. I can't see how they can keep that cap hit around.
To get the offer sheet to work, you'd certainly have to go $3.0+ AAV for Bernier. I'm not sure he's worth that yet, and that's a 1st and a 3rd in 2014. We've already dealt our 4th.

Yeah, if Elliott can possibly be had from STL, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:00 PM
rjmkrm

Isles fan here:

Here is what Streit is right now:

Positives

- Smart puck mover
- Good shot from the point on the PP
- Sees the ice very well
- Good guy in the room

Negatives:

- Has slowed down tremendously. Pitt forwards regularly beat him to the puck / spot in the playoffs
- Virtually no physical presence - in front of the net or corners
- Defensive positioning is poor. Combination of slowing down and and not being able to compete physically, especially since the injury two years ago.

Here is what it is going to take to sign him: 4 yrs min (Isles offered 3) in the range of
$20-22MM (Isles offered close to $15MM).

Bottom line: Play him on the PP and not more than 12-14 mins per night, you will be fine. He CANNOT play top 4 mins anymore. By the end of the playoffs, he was on the 3rd pair for the Isles, QB ing the PP. That is where he belongs and is most effective.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:01 PM
CodeE

Isles fan coming in peace.

Step down from the ledge, some of you. Streit's a perfectly capable defenseman and his defensive "liabilities" are being exaggerated like crazy.

Even if you sign him for 4 years, that's the price you gotta pay to get a top UFA defenseman on your squad for a 4th round pick (not even a 4th round pick in this year's deep draft) and a prospect who you guys don't seem to see much of an NHL future in.

Believe me when I say I want this to be a bad deal for the division-rival Flyers, but I don't think it is.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:03 PM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
I like it. He is durable seeing he played 75+ games last few full seasons and puts up around 40 pts per 82 games. I can live with 5 or 6 mil contract.
Except he missed the entire 2010-11 season due to injury.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:05 PM
rjmkrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post

Step down from the ledge, some of you. Streit's a perfectly capable defenseman and his defensive "liabilities" are being exaggerated like crazy.

Even if you sign him for 4 years, that's the price you gotta pay to get a top UFA defenseman on your squad for a 4th round pick (not even a 4th round pick in this year's deep draft) and a prospect who you guys don't seem to see much of an NHL future in.

Believe me when I say I want this to be a bad deal for the division-rival Flyers, but I don't think it is.
Did you watch the Pens series? If his defensive liabilities are exagerated, why was he on the third pairng by the end of the Pitt series? This guys HAS NOT been the same defender since his injury. He just hasn't.. The eyes AND his numbers don't lie....

Old
06-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Krishna

Quote:

most of them jumped over the edge around march

Old
06-12-2013, 02:07 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
They have the cap space under the assumption that Bryz and Briere are bought out, and Meszaros is traded for anything. Streit obviously replaces Mez in that sense, but you still have 2 holes in the lineup that need to be filled. With Mez, Pronger, Bryz, and Briere all removed, and Streit signed at 5.5 they have a shade over 9M in cap space with no starting goalie, and you haven't done anything to improve your forwards other than hope Schenn and Couturier break out offensively.

A starting goalie and top 6 aren't exactly holes we can fill from within so those have to be acquired as well. If you overpay Streit you're going to have a hard time filling those spots without trading roster players (or without ****ing your cap situation when your superstar is due for an extension).

Mark Streit is a good stop gap solution so that the team can potentially draft and develop a puck moving defenseman, but Mark Streit isn't the type of player who's going to turn them into a legitimate Stanley Cup Contender, not with the other holes they have (with no way of filling them other than acquiring players not currently on the roster).
Well Mason will most likely go into next season as our starter. Like someone else mentioned, they could sign someone like Backstrom or Thomas for cheap to backup Mason or start most games if Mason doesn't pan out.

As far as the top 6 goes,

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds

Schenn and Hartnell are question marks, but Schenn showed that he can produce offensively. He just has to find some consistency, and not playing with Briere should help with that. And Hartnell, his injury really screwed him up this year, but I think he can bounce back. All in all, that's not a bad top 6.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Glad to see a move like this instead one of our young forwards.

Now address the future of our D through this draft and all will be good.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:09 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
Except he missed the entire 2010-11 season due to injury.
And he hasn't missed a game since then.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:09 PM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmkrm View Post
Did you watch the Pens series? If his defensive liabilities are exagerated, why was he on the third pairng by the end of the Pitt series? This guys HAS NOT been the same defender since his injury. He just hasn't.. The eyes AND his numbers don't lie....
The very last game the Islanders played this year, Streit logged 22:55 of icetime, putting him only behind Visno (26:19), Hamonic (25:18), and Strait (23:09). He also had a team-leading 5:18 of PP time.

Rumors of him being a third pairing scrub are greatly exaggerated.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:10 PM
dawkins121

Not very excited about Streit or his contract. I am very excited that we won't trade Couturier or Schenn in a panic move. Guess it kind of evens out.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:11 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
You sure Streit is better than Carle defensively? Look at the stats.
Sorry. I meant offensively, and typed defensively. It comes with the territory of being a moron. Defensively they are a tie in my eyes. he doesn't give the puck up as often and Carle but is weaker in other areas like in front of his net where he looks like a lost puppy.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:12 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
The Flyers are 2.5 million over the cap right now. Unless they lose salary between now and FA begins they cant sign Streit. Also they cant use Prongers LTIR money until the FA period begins.
Compliance buyouts have to be completed before FA period begins.

Technically the team can't use Pronger's LTIR money until the regular season begins--players can't be placed on LTIR until then. However between July 1st and the last day of Training Camp the upper limit is temporarily raised by 10%. i.e. $70.73m this summer. Teams have to be compliant again immediately following the last day of camp.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:14 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Sorry. I meant offensively, and typed defensively. It comes with the territory of being a moron. Defensively they are a tie in my eyes. he doesn't give the puck up as often and Carle but is weaker in other areas like in front of his net where he looks like a lost puppy.
Eh. No problem. I make mistakes all the time. Also, that wasn't addressed to just you. People should take a look at Streit's stats.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:15 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
The very last game the Islanders played this year, Streit logged 22:55 of icetime, putting him only behind Visno (26:19), Hamonic (25:18), and Strait (23:09). He also had a team-leading 5:18 of PP time.

Those are all names I'd like to see on the Flyers. The Isles on 3rd on my list of teams that have players I want on the Flyers, behind the Blues and the Hawks.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:17 PM
rjmkrm

Quote:

Scrub no. Top 4 defender, No as well.

His TOI is largely was largely dictated by the PP by year end...

He was playing behind guys like Hickey and Strait - waiver wire guys.

He was never a great defender, but now his time as a top 4 has passed as well. No shame in that. there aren't many Nick Lidstroms in the NHL that can maintain their level of play late into their career.

Would you rather have him next year or see what Donovan can do with his minutes..

Give me the latter....

Old
06-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Calderone
old time hockey

4 yrs would be absurd.. He is already slowing down, he's a #4 dman (and pp qb) at this point and 35 yrs old, why make a mistake that you're gonna regret by 2015.. I won't shed a tear if we can't sign him.

It isn't panic to trade Couts or Schenn for a young, good PMD.. it's smart, we have Laughton coming in, it's a position of strength so use that to build a roster weakness.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:20 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderone View Post
4 yrs would be absurd.. He is already slowing down, he's a #4 dman (and pp qb) at this point and 35 yrs old, why make a mistake that you're gonna regret by 2015.. I won't shed a tear if we can't sign him.

It isn't panic to trade Couts or Schenn for a young, good PMD.. it's smart, we have Laughton coming in, it's a position of strength so use that to build a roster weakness.
It is stupid to trade them. Why trade them when you can start drafting defenders and rebuilding?

This stupid "what have you done for me lately" thing is getting out of hand. To most, Streit is still a top 4 defender...which we needed.

Streit is as good or even better than Yandle and we didnt even have to give up Couturier or Schenn.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
And he hasn't missed a game since then.
Yeah, a full season and a half without getting hurt. Most Isles fans say he hasn't been the same since then.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'd rather do Streit for 3 years than trade Couturier for Yandle
I agree with you 100%

Old
06-12-2013, 02:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmkrm View Post
Isles fan here:

Here is what Streit is right now:

Positives

- Smart puck mover
- Good shot from the point on the PP
- Sees the ice very well
- Good guy in the room

Negatives:

- Has slowed down tremendously. Pitt forwards regularly beat him to the puck / spot in the playoffs
- Virtually no physical presence - in front of the net or corners
- Defensive positioning is poor. Combination of slowing down and and not being able to compete physically, especially since the injury two years ago.

Here is what it is going to take to sign him: 4 yrs min (Isles offered 3) in the range of
$20-22MM (Isles offered close to $15MM).

Bottom line: Play him on the PP and not more than 12-14 mins per night, you will be fine. He CANNOT play top 4 mins anymore. By the end of the playoffs, he was on the 3rd pair for the Isles, QB ing the PP. That is where he belongs and is most effective.
So basically his market value to me doesn't sound anywhere near 5.5 or 6M but we are going to overpay regardless since we are desperate for a PMD ...

If he gets in the 4M range which is his current price tag it will be somewhat more palatable but I guess the years might not be.

All I got to say is he better be an upgrade from Carle who wasn't exactly great offensively but was younger and better defensively than what Streit sounds like. Carle also logged big minutes. I know Carle was hated but the miscalc with Carle was letting him go on the open market in the first place which then made keeping him not reasonable...

Old
06-12-2013, 02:27 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I'm not as worried about age. Looked good in the playoffs. He only has 8 NHL seasons, so less wear and tear b/c he came over at 28.
Idk.Wear and tear is actually a bigger issue in lesser European leagues compared to the more skilled NHL.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:28 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderone View Post

Yeah but there's nobody available right now that is worth it. Streit might be old and (soon to be) overpaid but he will give the Flyers the puck moving abilities they desperately need right now just as well as someone like Yandle or Edler even if he can't play the kinds of minutes they can. I was all for trading one of Couts or Schenn in a package for Weber last year, but I would be extremely reluctant to trade one of them for a player in the Yandle/Edler tier. Maybe next year someone better becomes available, until then let's keep our assets.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
“Homer says the only reason to trade for players rights is only to save money and it usually doesn’t work. He’s got $51M reasons to say that.”
That was Homers quote last season tweeted by Dave Issac. Hoping Homer goes by his own advice.

Closed Thread