HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres Attempting To Acquire The First Overall Pick

Old
06-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
This. Devine said they were trying to determine how far back they would be willing to move first. It wasn't likely going to be 8.
That's actually quite interesting.

If this is the case, theres a real strong possibility that Buffalo could seriously make some moves for the 1st overall.

They would likely first have to get into the Top 4. I believe Roy said 4 was the furthest they would fall.

So, they call up NSH and see what it would take from NSH to get into the #4 spot. NSH needs a C badly and are very high on Barkov so it would again take an overpayment.

Does Hodgson + #8 make NSH move the pick? They can still grab one of Monahan/Lindholm/Nurse at #8 and pick up a solid young C in Hodgson. Maybe another small piece like Adam has to be thrown in to make it to hard for NSH to refuse.

Then, the Sabres have the #4, #16, Grgiroenko, and Myers all as pieces potentially moveable to the Avs for the #1 spot. The #4 would have to be included. Aswell as at least 1 of those other pieces.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:30 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Grigorenko to the Oilers for the 7th overall
Myers 7th 8th to Avalance for 1st Buffalo get their franchise centerman Colorado gets their dman plus 2 good picks ,Oilers get their big Centerman.
Ouch. Big no from me. If I'm moving 2 top 10 picks, it's sure as hell not with Myers, unless the player coming back is an established young superstar.

Also, I don't get the Oiler fan obsession with size. Grigorenko isn't any more physical or stronger than the centers you guys already have (at least not yet). He's just taller.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Ouch. Big no from me. If I'm moving 2 top 10 picks, it's sure as hell not with Myers, unless the player coming back is an established young superstar.

Also, I don't get the Oiler fan obsession with size. Grigorenko isn't any more physical or stronger than the centers you guys already have (at least not yet). He's just taller.
Myers and thge 8th would never get you the 1st overall not with Mackinnon or Jones in this draft.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
Do the Sabres want Mackinnon or Jones?
I suspect they want MacKinnon, even though Devine would not tip his hand in today's interview. If they can't get to MacKinnon, they may have Barkov/Lindholm as the next guy(s) they covet.

Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Horrible.
Not horrible ,,,,, that was wasy.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Agenda Glasses*

What a sensationalist thread title.

Agenda Glasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Horrible.
I love when people do this.

Instead of explaining why they think it's bad they just leave a one word response "terrible, horrible, horrendous, etc...".

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:38 PM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

Honestly, I feel that the main deal would center around one of Miller, Vanek, Myers and then draft picks. I highly doubt they would move Grigorenko when Colorado is stacked down the middle. If a prospect is involved it probably would have to be Pysyk, McCabe or McNabb.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

A players actual value and his value on HFBoards are shockingly often not all that similar.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:39 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
That is way overpayment.
Quite frankly, that's what it will take to get the 1st overall pick. A crazy overpayment. That's why the 1st overall pick is pretty much never traded.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:40 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I think I'd blow a gasket if they traded Myers++ for Jones though.
Jones could probably step into the league on opening night and be about as good as what the Sabres have been getting out of Myers the last two years, and that's not even considering his awful contract.

Depending on what the "plus plus" is, I'd be over the moon if I were the Sabres and the Avs were asking for Myers as the centerpiece.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Crash View Post
How is it hypocritical? Do you even know what that means? It would be hypocritical if I would have said that, then demanded Crosby and Malkin for it.

And drop it with the "strongest draft in years" crap. We hear it every single year. It's no different this year than it was last.

If GMs value picks so highly, why wasn't Staal traded straight for the 8th overall pick? In fact, why wasn't the 8th overall pick even the biggest piece in the package? A draft pick is nothing more than a draft pick, a player doesn't have value for something he never did.

And how is MacKinnon better than any other prospect in this draft? There is no player that is head and shoulders above anyone else this year. If there was, he would be the consensus #1 pick.

The 8th pick and Myers is more than fair value. Take off your Avs glasses and realize that. They aren't trading for a superstar, they are trading for someone who can become a superstar. Is it fair for me to demand a return of a top-2 D for Derrick Pouliot (8.0 C)? No, because he isn't a top-2 D yet.
Go look at the recent history of the #1 pick and the #8 pick and come back to me....
Spoiler: It is not even close to comparable in value...

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RSeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
As an Avs fan I still don't think anything happens. BUT. If it does Buffalo is the team I would bet on to make the move for 1st overall.

They easily have the best assets of the teams rumored to be interested.

#8 + #16 + Myers + Grigorenko

That's good enough for me. Some Sabres fans were at one point willing to do more then that. And Some Avs fans were wanting more then that.
Gross overpayment.

RSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post
I love when people do this.

Instead of explaining why they think it's bad they just leave a one word response "terrible, horrible, horrendous, etc...".
I don't know, I agree with the guy. Myers + 7 + 8 picks seems like a lot to me.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post

Oilers brought Grigorenko in for Interviews along with Yakupov Murray and Reinhart the Scouts were very high on him .

Old
06-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
There's reason why Buffalo fans keep offering Myers. He's got huge contract, he's big, but soft and apparently he might not have toolbox.
His contract is palatable for non-cap teams. He has six years and $26.5m left, so just a shade under $4.5m per year. Some teams would be happy to take that $4.5m per gamble on Myers returning to form full-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
That's actually quite interesting.

If this is the case, theres a real strong possibility that Buffalo could seriously make some moves for the 1st overall.

They would likely first have to get into the Top 4. I believe Roy said 4 was the furthest they would fall.

So, they call up NSH and see what it would take from NSH to get into the #4 spot. NSH needs a C badly and are very high on Barkov so it would again take an overpayment.

Does Hodgson + #8 make NSH move the pick? They can still grab one of Monahan/Lindholm/Nurse at #8 and pick up a solid young C in Hodgson. Maybe another small piece like Adam has to be thrown in to make it to hard for NSH to refuse.

Then, the Sabres have the #4, #16, Grgiroenko, and Myers all as pieces potentially moveable to the Avs for the #1 spot. The #4 would have to be included. Aswell as at least 1 of those other pieces.
I think this is the most likely of the farfetched scenarios that see Buffalo climb from #8 to #1 overall. They first have to get Nashville to move down from #4. I know Poile has said he'd consider moving the pick for roster help that'll aid the team getting back to the playoffs sooner rather than later, but we'll see what degree of help now he's requiring.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:54 PM
wunderpanda

You can't have our Europeans.

Take Hodgson, Ennis, Ott, Weber and both our 1st, but leave our Euro's alone

*edit* and we draft Nichushkin #1 overall

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Jtown

I think Buffalo is going to have to try to get into the top 3, in order to get 1.

Think about it. THey may be jones at 3.

Myers plus for 3.

3 plus 8 for 1.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Myers should be almost enough to move from #8 to #1.
I dont think so..

The 5-10 games or so i saw from the Sabres this season, he was probably the worst D out there.

Like, really. Dude pinched at wrong times, sometimes couldnt clear the puck even if his life depended on it, no shots through etc.

Its just a small sample size but if i combine that with negative feedback from the Sabres fans throughout the season, i wouldnt give up Mackinnon for Myers and 8th pick.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think Buffalo is going to have to try to get into the top 3, in order to get 1.

Think about it. THey may be jones at 3.

Myers plus for 3.

3 plus 8 for 1.
It wouldn't take the 8 for the Sabres to move from 3 to 1.

I could see Myers + 8 for #3. Then #3 + #16 for #1.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
You can't have our Europeans.

Take Hodgson, Ennis, Ott, Weber and both our 1st, but leave our Euro's alone

*edit* and we draft Nichushkin #1 overall
There is a chance after combine he wll be there at 8th.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:14 PM
oilers4life5

I think it would take both first round picks and Grigs for a deal to get done for #1

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:16 PM
ThePsychicSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Crash View Post
WILL LIKELY BE

That doesn't mean they are definitely going to be. You can't demand a return on a player because of what they potentially can become. It doesn't work that way. MacKinnon and Jones have not proven to be worth what you proposed. That's a higher return than some people are proposing for MALKIN, who is A TOP-3 PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE! It's completely asinine to think that the Sabres would do that. Your trading for a player who has the potential to be elite, not an elite player. Potential does not equal trade value.

Buffalo is the team with all the risk in this deal, they could trade an established top-4 D, 2 1sts and another prospect for a bust. No chance in hell does Buffalo demolishes their future for a prospect.

If either Jones or MacKinnon had the skills of someone like Crosby or Ovechkin when they were drafted, it would be fair to ask for that. But neither MacKinnon nor Jones are even close to their levels. I think that return wouldn't be bad for McDavid in 2015, but it would be horrendous for either top pick this year.

Can everyone on this damb website please read this?

Feels like I'm taking crazy pills.

Even Myers + 8th is overpayment and unfortunately is what's needed to pry a first from a team.

But even if they've been scouting their pick heavily its still a HUGE risk.

Pierce Hawthorne just stop...seriously stop. This isn't nhl13 with predetermined jumps in player attributes.

ThePsychicSaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
tsujimoto74

The most realistic-seeming path, at least to me, is via Nashville (Vanek+ for 4). Prior to this year, they've been a consistent playoff team in recent history, the bulk of their core is around Vanek's age, and as a small but growing market, I have to think management there is very eager to get back into the playoffs sooner than later.

Vanek + Hodgson (+ a more?) for 4th overall --> Nashville gets a top notch goal scorer who helps them get back to the playoffs next year and a young, cost-controlled center who he has some chemistry with to help more long term.

Then...4th + 8th for 1st?

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
HarrisonFord
Lost a bet

8 + 16 + Ryan Miller?

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote