HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part V: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 12:12 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 1h
#NHL #draft cont. On S Jones, sr scout sez: "Don't see hockey sense, not even bit of edge, wonder about attitude, v avg interview @ combine"

Gare Joyce Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 1h
Spoke to 3 sr scouts Mon., none w Seth Jones @ #1, 2 don't have SJ @ #2 & one has him #4 behind Barkov ("not sold on him, see Erik Johnson")
Wow. Another one with the poor attitude. That could really shake things up if Colorado is one of those teams that doesn't have him there.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Eh, Jones had a very strong run through the middle and end of the season, but this was previously the Mackinnon draft, and I believe he's back at 1 on ISS, right?

If by some oddity, Jones slips behind Mackinnon (very possible), Drouin (a bit harder to believe), and Barkov /Nichushkin (that would shock me), then I'm sure Na4shville takes him at 4 and figures out their issues at forward later.
Nichushkin didn't have that great a session either apparently.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:44 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
See the thing is with pro-defensemen crowd is that I don't think many of them understand that this is a deep defensemen class. There's going still be some nice defensemen left at #41.
It's not that at all. I'm part of the pro-defenseman crowd and I know that there's a ton of depth available in terms of defensemen this year. I just think that with the defensemen available, there's probably 7 to 10 real high end guys who have excellent potential to be top 2 defenders. The rest don't quite have that level that those 7 to 10 do. I want one of those 7 to 10.

Quote:
I want to take a defensemen in the first round too (preferably Nurse or Ristolanien) but if guy like Nichushkin or some other forward falls that shouldn't be at #11 then I have no problem with them taking that guy.
A guy like Nichuskin also has top 5 talent. If he drops to 11, I'd certainly have no problem taking a top 5 guy. The problem that I'd have is if there's Ristolainen, Morrissey, Pulock, etc....available and the Flyers opt for someone like Shinkaruk, Domi or Horvat.

Quote:
Most teams start drafting for needs from the second round and on, I'm pretty confident we'll at least select one defensemen with one of our first two picks.
It's possible, but you never know with this club. It wouldn't surprise me if they chose, say, Shinkaruk in the first and then end up with a guy like Klimchuk or Carrier or someone like that in the 2nd. You just never know what this club will do. I'm hopeful that they target defense and I'm hopeful that with their first pick, they target one of those defenders who have that possible top two upside.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
No hockey sense, attitude issues?

Give me a break, if you watched the WJC he was by far and away the best player on the ice . His talent his control of the game was unmatched.

I don't know who gary joyce is and it and its because of tweets like that.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post

Give me a break, if you watched the WJC he was by far and away the best player on the ice . His talent his control of the game was unmatched.

I don't know. I'd say Trouba was the better D man for USA

Old
06-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Hell no. Trouba had one of the most overrated performances of that tournament. 2 of his goals were some of the Flukiest Ive ever seen.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Larry44

Quote:

No kidding. Today it's Jones. Tomorrow Gare will report that senior scouts told him McKinnon sucks and Drouin is a p*ssy and Barkov is lazy. Then the next day he'll run down Monahan and Domi....

Old
06-12-2013, 03:34 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Trouba was better but that doesn't mean Jones wasn't one of the best defensemen in that Tourney. That actually speaks volumes of how good the US's defense was this year.

----------

This Joyce guy seems like an idiot though.

I liked when Jones said the US was the to beat in the WJC's before the tournament and everybody got up in arms, all Jones did was backup those words with his play and a gold medal.

Jones has been a winner at almost every level he's played at, I'll take a kid like that on my team.

In interviews I've seen of his, Jones seems very mature and an all around good kid.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Larry44

Quote:
In interviews I've seen of his, Jones seems very mature and an all around good kid.
Nurse too. It really helps that these guys' dads we pro athletes. They have the genes and the environment. Nature + Nurture = Player

Last edited by Larry44: 06-12-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 03:39 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
No kidding. Today it's Jones. Tomorrow Gare will report that senior scouts told him McKinnon sucks and Drouin is a p*ssy and Barkov is lazy. Then the next day he'll run down Monahan and Domi....
He's an idiot, one day it's a Russian kid labeled with a bunch of typical stereotypes the next day it's a US kid so naturally he compares him to the last US defensemen to go #1.

I'm going to go on a limb and say these "scouts" don't really exist.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:48 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Gare Joyce used to write for the Ottawa Citizen for the longest of time. As well, and let's be honest here, how many 18 year old kids, who just finished a long season of playing hockey and are probably sporting some injuries and stuff, really want to be at a combine where they're being poked, prodded, tested, interviewed, etc....? Honestly, I hold very little weight about some interviews that some 18 year old kid had and is probably quite disinterested in being there.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Hell no. Trouba had one of the most overrated performances of that tournament. 2 of his goals were some of the Flukiest Ive ever seen.
Gonna have to 100% disagree with this.

Great read by Chris Peters on this:

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013...n-and-goalies/

Seth Jones had a pretty slow start but stepped it up as time went on. Goals aside, Trouba (who was voted the tourney's best defender) was EASILY the teams best defender on both sides of the ice.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Gare Joyce used to write for the Ottawa Citizen for the longest of time. As well, and let's be honest here, how many 18 year old kids, who just finished a long season of playing hockey and are probably sporting some injuries and stuff, really want to be at a combine where they're being poked, prodded, tested, interviewed, etc....? Honestly, I hold very little weight about some interviews that some 18 year old kid had and is probably quite disinterested in being there.
I liked reading about the Flyers' approach. Instead of stumping them with stupid questions, they just TALKED to them to get a sense of the kind of guys they are, along with some standard questions for comparison.

If you were a bird, what kind of bird would you be? A Flyer!

Old
06-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
I liked reading about the Flyers' approach. Instead of stumping them with stupid questions, they just TALKED to them to get a sense of the kind of guys they are, along with some standard questions for comparison.

If you were a bird, what kind of bird would you be? A Flyer!
I can't remember reading about that, Have a link?

Old
06-12-2013, 05:37 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

********. Jones was arguably the best defenseman in the entire tournament at the WJC, and IMO is a better prospect than Erik Johnson ever was. This kid is going to be a franchise cornerstone defenseman, he's incredibly talented.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Larry44

Quote:
I can't remember reading about that, Have a link?
On the Flyers team site. Pryor was interviewed about the combine. Homer said he tried to make them feel comfortable instead of freaking them out.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672943

Quote:
Some teams try to throw curve balls with certain questions at kids. Others try to put them through mind-bending tests to look for how they respond under pressure.

Not the Flyers. They might as well hold their interviews in a Starbucks, that’s how laid back they like to make it for the kids.

“We try to keep it casual,” Pryor said. “We want the kids to be casual. You’re going to ask each kid different questions based on what you already know or things you want to ask about their season. But we ry to be consistent from player to player.

“We are trying to formulate an opinion based on information you get from all the kids. It might be repetitious but your trying to be consistent and fair. For the most part the kids respond well. It’s just like having a cup of coffee and getting to know the kids you want to know more about the kids than when you came in. It can be intimidating to have a G.M. in the room but Holmgren puts them at ease and just sits back and lets the kids do the talking.'
other combine related stuff:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672385

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672737

Last edited by Larry44: 06-12-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 11:01 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
On the Flyers team site. Pryor was interviewed about the combine. Homer said he tried to make them feel comfortable instead of freaking them out.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672943

other combine related stuff:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672385

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672737
You'd think a writer would know the difference between your and you're...

Old
06-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I like that approach.

06-13-2013, 03:49 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

June 30th needs to hurry up and get here. I still remember how upset some of us were when we didn't draft Matta.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:59 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I like that approach.
As do I, seems like a great way to get an accurate sense of a kid's personality, much better than asking him a series of artificial questions. Maybe it has something to do with our excellent track record in the first round.

Old
06-13-2013, 06:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
You'd think a writer would know the difference between your and you're...
Haha, I was just about to post that. In fairness, everyone makes mistakes. I'd put the blame on the editor more than on the writer.

Old
06-13-2013, 07:58 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
June 30th needs to hurry up and get here. I still remember how upset some of us were when we didn't draft Matta.
I was one of those people but in my defense I also said "but I totally trust this teams drafting in the first round."

I still think Matta will be good too though.

I also remember many people upset about not getting Pickard but instead taking Sbisa a pick later.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:31 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I was one of those people but in my defense I also said "but I totally trust this teams drafting in the first round."

I also remember many people upset about not getting Pickard but instead taking Sbisa a pick later.
Yeah me too. I said the same thing about Couturier vs. Hamilton the year before too. I wanted Hamilton from day one. When he was there I was certain they would draft him. I was not happy when they didn't (admittedly I knew very little about Couturier becaue I was so sure they were going to draft a defender that I didn't bother to read about forwards). But like you, I trusted them because of their first round successes they have had. Last year...same thing. I wanted Maatta pretty much from the onset. Could not believe they passed on him...especially when he went to Pittsburgh. But again, gotta believe they know what they are doing out there. They see these guys a million times more than we do and they know what they are looking for.

Once again this year I want the Flyers to draft a defender. As long as it is not a center I will trust their judgment (barring a trade of one of our current centers, of course). If they draft a center, I will not be happy and I will not trust them this time around. Haha.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:00 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Not one soul outside of the organization has earned the right to tell the Flyers who to draft. They do it better than anyone, and I'll let them decide who BPA is come draft day. I just hope it's a defenseman.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post

If the Fyers draft at least 1 defenseman with their top two picks and a couple after, I would be cool with a 1st rd forward. Maata looks like he might be a good defenseman down the road but so does Gostibehere. Plus Willcox and Vasiliev progressed nicely last year. Defensemen are such a crap shoot where as the defenseman picked after the 1st rd could end up being the best of the entire draft while forward talent dries up pretty quickly. Hopefully the Flyers will pick another 3-4 dmen.

Closed Thread