HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I wish we missed the playoffs or lost 4-0 to Ana

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2013, 04:55 PM
  #1
Detroit Sports*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
I wish we missed the playoffs or lost 4-0 to Ana

For Kenny to bring back Cleary and more retreads, washed up players his excuse is we took Chicago to 7 games OT and blah blah blah. If the Blackhawks win the cup it will be worse. This is the same ol' same ol' summer from Kenny book it!

Detroit Sports* is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 04:59 PM
  #2
Heaton
Moderator
Holland = nomorecups
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 20,778
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Nothing would have changed regardless. Holland and co. have their plan whether they miss the playoffs or win the cup.

Heaton is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:00 PM
  #3
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
RIP Octopi
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,582
vCash: 500
Said I didn't really want Cleary to have a big post-season, but will always root for this team to win. The issue with him coming back has more to do with money and role in my mind and the later will be decided by Babcock. Cleary on the third or fourth line without PP duty isn't the worst, unfortunately Babcock and not Holland is going to control that.

This is the most unsurprising thread of the off-season. Lets ignore the fact Holland was bang on with this team, has pulled off the first step to a rebuild on the fly that got us to an overtime in game 7 with the eventual Stanley Cup runners up.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:01 PM
  #4
Detroit Sports*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Nothing would have changed regardless. Holland and co. have their plan whether they miss the playoffs or win the cup.
You really believe if we didn't make the playoffs it would be status quo and re-sign all the dead weight?

Detroit Sports* is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:01 PM
  #5
WingedWheel1987
Registered User
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 11,752
vCash: 500
Ken Holland is in love with washed up veterans. Only way Cleary doesn't sign with Detroit, is if Cleary decides he doesn't want to play anymore or doesn't want to play with the Wings.

I wonder if Holland even goes to his office anymore. He can easily manage the team from the golf course. How hard is it to do nothing and play golf?

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:02 PM
  #6
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats
 
Kronwalled55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,900
vCash: 500
The only piece that had a chance of being changed was Filppula in my opinion. He had a crap playoffs, and now it looks like he's going. He had a chance to redeem himself and he didn't really do that.

Kronwalled55 is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:02 PM
  #7
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Cleary has been really good for us and will continue to be good for us. I see no problem re-signing him, he's a big part of this team's success.

HTT3* is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:02 PM
  #8
WingedWheel1987
Registered User
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 11,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Cleary has been really good for us and will continue to be good for us. I see no problem re-signing him, he's a big part of this team's success.
You forgot the emoticon.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:03 PM
  #9
Detroit Sports*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Said I didn't really want Cleary to have a big post-season, but will always root for this team to win. The issue with him coming back has more to do with money and role in my mind and the later will be decided by Babcock. Cleary on the third or fourth line without PP duty isn't the worst, unfortunately Babcock and not Holland is going to control that.

This is the most unsurprising thread of the off-season. Lets ignore the fact Holland was bang on with this team, has pulled off the first step to a rebuild on the fly that got us to an overtime in game 7 with the eventual Stanley Cup runners up.
That Jurco in your avi will be on the Wings in 2017. This team needs a new philosophy.No more washed up veterans!

Detroit Sports* is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:03 PM
  #10
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
RIP Octopi
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Nothing would have changed regardless. Holland and co. have their plan whether they miss the playoffs or win the cup.
Very true, Shero referenced that today.

Cleary really wants to stay in Detroit and is a big voice in that dressing room. We might not like him, but his teammates and coaches love the guy. Realistically that was always going to be the case, the fact he outscored Datsyuk in the post-season really helped his position with the Wings, good on him for coming through even if I didn't really want to see him be that major of a contributor. We don't get as far without him this year and that is a hard fact to admit, he was very good in the playoffs.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:05 PM
  #11
Detroit Sports*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Ken Holland is in love with washed up veterans. Only way Cleary doesn't sign with Detroit, is if Cleary decides he doesn't want to play anymore or doesn't want to play with the Wings.

I wonder if Holland even goes to his office anymore. He can easily manage the team from the golf course. How hard is it to do nothing and play golf?
Not true. Holland is usually drunk when assessing the team, I'm pretty sure the golf courses don't allow that.

Detroit Sports* is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:06 PM
  #12
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
RIP Octopi
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Sports View Post
That Jurco in your avi will be on the Wings in 2017. This team needs a new philosophy.No more washed up veterans!
Simply not true, but let hyperbole rule the day I guess.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:06 PM
  #13
WingedWheel1987
Registered User
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 11,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Very true, Shero referenced that today.

Cleary really wants to stay in Detroit and is a big voice in that dressing room. We might not like him, but his teammates and coaches love the guy. Realistically that was always going to be the case, the fact he outscored Datsyuk really helped his position with the Wings, good on him for coming through even if I didn't really want to see him be that major of a contributor. We don't get as far without him this year and that is a hard fact to admit, he was very good in the playoffs.
Is going an extra round worth bringing back Cleary for two years?

You are winning short term(Even though winning one round means absolutely nothing), but losing long term.

The real Dan Cleary is going to be back next season and you know it.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:07 PM
  #14
Detroit Sports*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Very true, Shero referenced that today.

Cleary really wants to stay in Detroit and is a big voice in that dressing room. We might not like him, but his teammates and coaches love the guy. Realistically that was always going to be the case, the fact he outscored Datsyuk in the post-season really helped his position with the Wings, good on him for coming through even if I didn't really want to see him be that major of a contributor. We don't get as far without him this year and that is a hard fact to admit, he was very good in the playoffs.
He got a few goals off his body and an EN goal. He is terrible. Just like Bickell hot at the right time. Basically another Fernando Pisani clone.

Detroit Sports* is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:11 PM
  #15
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Sports View Post
Not true. Holland is usually drunk when assessing the team, I'm pretty sure the golf courses don't allow that.
A drunk Holland is 99.9% better than any other GM in the NHL. That says a lot.

HTT3* is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:23 PM
  #16
WingedWheel1987
Registered User
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 11,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
A drunk Holland is 99.9% better than any other GM in the NHL. That says a lot.
Drunk Holland signed Mikael Samuelsson to a two year deal and it was viewed as an awful signing immediately. I remember when people laughed about Holland signing Sammy several months before he was signed as a bad joke. Even Holland supporters didn't think he was that predictable or stupid. Welcome to year two of a bad joke.

The guy is just living off of his reputation at this point.

He has done nothing to improve this team the past four years and yet he talks about all the amazing prospects that never get any ice time because of the washed up veterans he signs, who take up all the roster spots.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:34 PM
  #17
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Drunk Holland signed Mikael Samuelsson to a two year deal and it was viewed as an awful signing immediately. I remember when people laughed about Holland signing Sammy several months before he was signed as a bad joke. Even Holland supporters didn't think he was that predictable or stupid. Welcome to year two of a bad joke.

The guy is just living off of his reputation at this point.

He has done nothing to improve this team the past four years and yet he talks about all the amazing prospects that never get any ice time because of the washed up veterans he signs, who take up all the roster spots.
Holland should be able to predict injuries too? Is there a GM in the league that can predict injuries? If so, the government should hire him to predict the fate of the country.

Samuelsson was is a RH shot with size. He's a shooter, something this team needs. Has Sammy been healthy, he might have scored 12 to 15+ goals in the regular season. Zetterberg gets paid, what, $6 million and only scored 11.

As for Holland's reputation, wasn't this team, who is rebuilding, almost knock out the regular season champs to proceed to the WCFs?

Yeah, I'm sure there is about 29 other teams in the league wishing they had that kind of success. There's not a better GM in the world when it comes to hockey.

HTT3* is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:36 PM
  #18
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Sports View Post
For Kenny to bring back Cleary and more retreads, washed up players his excuse is we took Chicago to 7 games OT and blah blah blah. If the Blackhawks win the cup it will be worse. This is the same ol' same ol' summer from Kenny book it!
Do you honestly think that successfull GMs make moves based on a playoff run or two?

Hobnobs is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:38 PM
  #19
WingedWheel1987
Registered User
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 11,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Holland should be able to predict injuries too? Is there a GM in the league that can predict injuries? If so, the government should hire him to predict the fate of the country.

Samuelsson was is a RH shot with size. He's a shooter, something this team needs. Has Sammy been healthy, he might have scored 12 to 15+ goals in the regular season. Zetterberg gets paid, what, $6 million and only scored 11.

As for Holland's reputation, wasn't this team, who is rebuilding, almost knock out the regular season champs to proceed to the WCFs?

Yeah, I'm sure there is about 29 other teams in the league wishing they had that kind of success. There's not a better GM in the world when it comes to hockey.
Every year it's the same excuse. We almost beat "X" team, but injuries hurt us. Ken Holland makes the same excuses every year and every year the media eats up every word. For the record, I knew the Sammy signing was awful the moment it was announced. Ken Holland just loves washed up veterans. It's his one major flaw as a GM and normally that wouldn't be a big flaw, but the current state of the Red Wings can't afford to keep bringing on more washed up veterans. What if Sammy scored 100 goals? A lot of "what if's", but nothing else.

Let's look at the results.

2nd round exit
2nd round exit
1st round exit
2nd round exit

Looks to me like Kenny has built a mediocre team that is fodder for good teams.

buhhh buhhh we took the Hawks to seven games. WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

That is not something to cheer about. They were up 3-1 and lost the series. That is absolutely pathetic.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:40 PM
  #20
WingedWheel1987
Registered User
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 11,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Do you honestly think that successfull GMs make moves based on a playoff run or two?
Well he certainly isn't bringing him back because of what he has done the past two years.

The playoff run definitely helped. Kenny loves washed up veterans. I personally believe Cleary was going to come back either way, but now he at least has some evidence to support such a terrible signing.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:40 PM
  #21
France Nielsen
sacre bleu
 
France Nielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Cleary really wants to stay in Detroit and is a big voice in that dressing room. We might not like him, but his teammates and coaches love the guy. Realistically that was always going to be the case, the fact he outscored Datsyuk in the post-season really helped his position with the Wings, good on him for coming through even if I didn't really want to see him be that major of a contributor. We don't get as far without him this year and that is a hard fact to admit, he was very good in the playoffs.
This is the thing. Some players just really can't win with our fanbase. I'm not a huge Cleary fan, but he made this an easy decision for Holland to make: he played his ass off in the playoffs (and played through serious injuries), outperformed very good players, and seems to really value being a Wing. The Wings value having guys around like that, guys who would block a shot with their face to stay a Wing, because it's good for the young guys. Cleary has that team loyalty that Holland really wants his young players to buy into.

It's sort of weird though, because other fanbases really love their heart-and-soul type guys, but we've begun to hate ours. I wonder why that is.

France Nielsen is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:44 PM
  #22
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
This is the thing. Some players just really can't win with our fanbase. I'm not a huge Cleary fan, but he made this an easy decision for Holland to make: he played his ass off in the playoffs (and played through serious injuries), outperformed very good players, and seems to really value being a Wing. The Wings value having guys around like that, guys who would block a shot with their face to stay a Wing, because it's good for the young guys. Cleary has that team loyalty that Holland really wants his young players to buy into.

It's sort of weird though, because other fanbases really love their heart-and-soul type guys, but we've begun to hate ours. I wonder why that is.
perhaps because ours are terrible players that inexplicably get stapled to the wing of our best players while good prospects rot in the AHL until they run out of waiver options or there's a ****ton of injuries and the Wings are literally forced to call them up?

ricky0034 is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:46 PM
  #23
WingedWheel1987
Registered User
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 11,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
perhaps because ours are terrible players that inexplicably get stapled to the wing of our best players?
That's pretty much it.

The current heart and soul players on the Wings are destroying my heart and soul.

WingedWheel1987 is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:52 PM
  #24
Detroit Sports*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
perhaps because ours are terrible players that inexplicably get stapled to the wing of our best players while good prospects rot in the AHL until they run out of waiver options or there's a ****ton of injuries and the Wings are literally forced to call them up?
wow someone with a pulse.

Detroit Sports* is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 05:53 PM
  #25
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Every year it's the same excuse. We almost beat "X" team, but injuries hurt us. Ken Holland makes the same excuses every year and every year the media eats up every word. For the record, I knew the Sammy signing was awful the moment it was announced. Ken Holland just loves washed up veterans. It's his one major flaw as a GM and normally that wouldn't be a big flaw, but the current state of the Red Wings can't afford to keep bringing on more washed up veterans. What if Sammy scored 100 goals? A lot of "what if's", but nothing else.

Let's look at the results.

2nd round exit
2nd round exit
1st round exit
2nd round exit

Looks to me like Kenny has built a mediocre team that is fodder for good teams.

buhhh buhhh we took the Hawks to seven games. WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

That is not something to cheer about. They were up 3-1 and lost the series. That is absolutely pathetic.
I'd be interested in hearing about a more consistent team the past 4 or 5 years who never had a top 15 draft pick. Can you name one?
  • Chicago? Nope, 1st round exit in 2010 (and are stacked from tanking for 60 years)
  • Penguins? Nope, 1st round exit in 2011 (and are stacked from tanking for 20 years)
  • Boston? Nope, didn't they choke in 2009 and 2010, and 1st round exit 2012
  • Canucks? Nope, 1st round exit in 2012 (and are stacked from sucking for so long)

There are four top teams that had bigger garbage runs than Detroit. The difference is, Detroit is rebuilding, those teams were going-all-in for a cup.

Guess facts just blew up your theory

HTT3* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.