HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Mark Streit to a multi-year deal [4 yrs, $21m; $5.25 AAV] (post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 03:30 PM
McNasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Well Mason will most likely go into next season as our starter. Like someone else mentioned, they could sign someone like Backstrom or Thomas for cheap to backup Mason or start most games if Mason doesn't pan out.

As far as the top 6 goes,

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds

Schenn and Hartnell are question marks, but Schenn showed that he can produce offensively. He just has to find some consistency, and not playing with Briere should help with that. And Hartnell, his injury really screwed him up this year, but I think he can bounce back. All in all, that's not a bad top 6.
Backstrom I don't think you can count on getting for cheap, Thomas maybe but you would think he wants to go somewhere he can start. Mason's 7 game stretch was impressive, but I don't think you necessarily want to tie your wagon to him.

Yes on paper that's not a bad top 6, but Schenn, Simmonds, and Read have all been streaky in their 2 seasons here (1.5 I suppose). I think the top line will be fine, but that 2nd line is hardly putting fear into anybody.

Your 3rd line is then what? McGinn-Couturier-Talbot?

Old
06-12-2013, 03:52 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Backstrom I don't think you can count on getting for cheap, Thomas maybe but you would think he wants to go somewhere he can start. Mason's 7 game stretch was impressive, but I don't think you necessarily want to tie your wagon to him.

Yes on paper that's not a bad top 6, but Schenn, Simmonds, and Read have all been streaky in their 2 seasons here (1.5 I suppose). I think the top line will be fine, but that 2nd line is hardly putting fear into anybody.

Your 3rd line is then what? McGinn-Couturier-Talbot?
You're probably right about Backstrom. Maybe give him a 1-2 year deal with Vokun money. I can't imagine Thomas getting a starting job anywhere, but we'll see. I'm not sold on Mason either, but I think we've got to roll with him at the start of the season to see what he can bring. Either way, I don't think there's going to be a guaranteed starter going into next year.

IMO, the only thing we can do with the top 6 is to let the kids play. See what they can do. Maybe they could give Horton a look in free agency, but they probably can't afford him. Maybe Penner? I'm not a fan, but he could be an option. I guess money might be an issue there too. We'll see what happens.

As far as the third line goes, I could easily see Gagne in there if they can sign him for cheap (which shouldn't be a real problem). Plus, Gagne could get plugged into the top 6 every now and then, too.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:56 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
You're probably right about Backstrom. Maybe give him a 1-2 year deal with Vokun money. I can't imagine Thomas getting a starting job anywhere, but we'll see. I'm not sold on Mason either, but I think we've got to roll with him at the start of the season to see what he can bring. Either way, I don't think there's going to be a guaranteed starter going into next year.

IMO, the only thing we can do with the top 6 is to let the kids play. See what they can do. Maybe they could give Horton a look in free agency, but they probably can't afford him. Maybe Penner? I'm not a fan, but he could be an option. I guess money might be an issue there too. We'll see what happens.

As far as the third line goes, I could easily see Gagne in there if they can sign him for cheap (which shouldn't be a real problem). Plus, Gagne could get plugged into the top 6 every now and then, too.
Ideal world?

Hartnell - Giroux - Iginla
Simmonds - Schenn - Voracek
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Laughton - Talbot
Rosehill

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann
Gervais

Mason
Backstrom

Old
06-12-2013, 04:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

I don't get this Gagne nostalgia....I mean I'm not opposed to keeping him necessarily but I question his true added value. He still has wheels and defensive skills but his health and his deteriorating offensive skills are big red flags. He is going to have to get paid dirt cheap by my standards to warrant taking up a roster spot...

Old
06-12-2013, 04:12 PM
PropJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Ideal world?

Gagne - Couturier - Read
Rosehill

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann
Gervais

Mason
Backstrom
Why would Jake be on the second line?

Old
06-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I don't get this Gagne nostalgia....I mean I'm not opposed to keeping him necessarily but I question his true added value. He still has wheels and defensive skills but his health and his deteriorating offensive skills are big red flags. He is going to have to get paid dirt cheap by my standards to warrant taking up a roster spot...
This is pretty much what I've been preaching also. He should be the backup plan if all else doesn't pan out in finding a winger.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJoe View Post
Why would Jake be on the second line?
He's our second best forward, many here feel like Voracek is capable of carry his own line now. I'm assuming that's why he would have him on the second line.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Krishna

pass on iginla

Old
06-12-2013, 04:28 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

...and Coburn still gets a stay of execution.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:33 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Isles fan dropping by.

Streit is looking for at least 3 years, which was probably the reason the Isles didn't resign him. He's good on the PP and has a nice shot, but he has deteriorated considerably since his injury. If the Flyers can keep the years down, he'd definitely be worth it but I'm not sure he'll settle for anything less than 3 years.
Thanks very much for your input. I, for one, am guardedly optimistic and perhaps naÔvely hoping a defenseman on the Flyers can actually get healthier.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Ideal world?

Gagne - Couturier - Read
Rosehill

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann
Gervais

Mason
Backstrom
Nightmare world. As Iginla showed, he stinks. Pass completely, unless he signs for $1.5MM/year, then we can use him the 3rd line behind Voracek and Simmonds where he belongs....

Old
06-12-2013, 05:11 PM
bennysflyers16

Like these reports that he is pumped to be a FLyer, hope he comes less than 5 mill and less than 3 yrs.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Nightmare world. As Iginla showed, he stinks. Pass completely, unless he signs for $1.5MM/year, then we can use him the 3rd line behind Voracek and Simmonds where he belongs....
I still think our very best option is this...

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Couturier - Simmonds
Gagne - Laughton - (Read)
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot
Rosehill - (McGinn)

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann
Gervais

Mason
(Bernier)

Old
06-12-2013, 05:14 PM
poneill27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkj View Post
i'd rather do streit for 3 years than trade couturier for yandle
qft!!!!

Old
06-12-2013, 05:30 PM
JABEE

I bet you the Flyers go after a big winger now. I still don't believe Couturier and Schenn are safe, but that's just a feeling. Also, who knows if they are done on defense.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:34 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
I bet you the Flyers go after a big winger now. I still don't believe Couturier and Schenn are safe, but that's just a feeling. Also, who knows if they are done on defense.
I was never worried about 10 getting move. I was more so about 14 though, with this move I'm backing off the ledge a little bit but I still don't think 14's completely out of the clear yet.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Some Isles fans were saying that he was playing with a nagging injury down the stretch of the season.

But he was still getting top 4 minutes on the team (4th in ES TOI/G in the regular season) and faced some of the tougher competition when he was on the ice.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Phillyfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
So basically his market value to me doesn't sound anywhere near 5.5 or 6M but we are going to overpay regardless since we are desperate for a PMD ...

If he gets in the 4M range which is his current price tag it will be somewhat more palatable but I guess the years might not be.

All I got to say is he better be an upgrade from Carle who wasn't exactly great offensively but was younger and better defensively than what Streit sounds like. Carle also logged big minutes. I know Carle was hated but the miscalc with Carle was letting him go on the open market in the first place which then made keeping him not reasonable...
Matt Carle A.P (After Pronger) made me want to smash my television.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Some Isles fans were saying that he was playing with a nagging injury down the stretch of the season.

But he was still getting top 4 minutes on the team (4th in ES TOI/G in the regular season) and faced some of the tougher competition when he was on the ice.
I was focusing on Streit during the playoff games I watched and he looked good. Always liked him in Montreal too. Smart, skilled player. If we can sign him, he'll be a good bridge between the Kimmo regime and the next group of D coming up. You need a steady vet to teach the kids, and he clearly wasn't hurting the Isles' youngins......

Old
06-12-2013, 05:45 PM
BillDineen

Streit >> carle

Old
06-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Streit >> carle
We'll see. I like Carle. (ducks)...

Old
06-12-2013, 05:54 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Seravalli on the phone quick today:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost....id=DL|PHI|home

By Anthony SanFilippo - Philadelphia Flyers Inside Reporter / Flyers Inside Out

Quote:
Q: Mark, what is your reaction to the trade today?

ďItís an exciting time for me. Obviously Iím excited to get traded to Philadelphia. Iím not sure whatís going to happen the next few weeks Ė or days Ė itís part of my agentís [Pat Brisson] job to work that out with [Flyers general manager] Paul [Holmgren], but Philly has an unbelievable team. Itís a great franchise and a great city and itís a hockey town for sure. The fans there are great and thatís why I always liked playing in Philly. The team is really good. Itís well-structured. Itís young and fast and it would be a great honor to play for the Flyers.Ē

Q: Whatís your confidence level that something will get done between Pat and Paul here in the next few weeks?

ďIím pretty confident. I think that maybe they need a few days or weeks, but Iím pretty positive. Itíd be awesome to play for the Flyers. The future is bright. They were in the Cup Finals three years ago and there is so much skill and a great mix between veteran players and young players, so Iím pretty confident and I truly hope itís going to get done soon.Ē

Q: I know you played with Bruno Gervais in New York, are you familiar with any other Flyers players?

ďBruno was my partner for a year. I know him well. Heís a great guy and I love him. Heís a great guy to have on the team. I know Danny Briere a little bit too. I worked out with him in Los Angeles when we were both 18 years old. I know heís a great player and a great guy. The other guys Ė when you play a team so much because you are in the same division, you get to know them Ė especially guys like [Claude] Giroux and [Scott] Hartnell and [Kimmo] Timonen. You get to know those guys when you play them. Itís exciting.

Q: Knowing the Flyers from playing against them as much as you have, what do you think about this team coming off a down year where they missed the playoffs?

ďI think they had a slow start in years past and finally got going toward the end of the season and made the playoffs. This year was a short season and they had lots of injuries as well. That makes it tough. It was a special year because of the lockout. That gave an advantage to some teams and some teams struggled. But when you see the Flyers lineup, it is a playoff team. Itís no question to me. I believe the Flyers will be in the playoffs next year. They have the skill and the physical part of it. Itís a great group and Iíd love to join that team.Ē

Q: You were the captain in New York. Is it easy to bring those leadership qualities into a new situation?

ďIím not going to just walk into the locker room and [take control]. You have to blend in a little bitÖ You get to the team and you want to lead by example first. You want to play well on the ice and lead on the ice. Over time you make yourself a little more comfortable and get to know the guys better and you see how the room is. If there comes a time to speak up, you speak up. But, Iíve always wanted to be a guy to lead on the ice. Iíve been around for awhile and Iíve been a captain on different teams. So, yes, I bring leadership and thatís what I like to do. But Iíll do whatever it takes to make the team better because at the end of the day you want to win as a team.Ē

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-12-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Added link
Old
06-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post

ďItís an exciting time for me. Obviously Iím excited to get traded to Philadelphia. Iím not sure whatís going to happen the next few weeks Ė or days Ė itís part of my agentís [Pat Brisson] job to work that out with [Flyers general manager] Paul [Holmgren], but Philly has an unbelievable team. Itís a great franchise and a great city and itís a hockey town for sure. The fans there are great and thatís why I always liked playing in Philly. The team is really good. Itís well-structured. Itís young and fast and it would be a great honor to play for the Flyers.Ē

Good grief, he doesn't want to play in Philly. Why'd we get him?

Old
06-12-2013, 06:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

Gotta love a guy saying all the right things.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

Just for the record... where exactly does Frank Seravalli come into play with that?

... As for the interview... Sure positive in all aspects, and sounds like it's coming from a guy who is planning on being a Flyer this coming season... or is at least saying all the correct things in case that does happen... and if not, he will say similar statements about the team he does eventually sign with.

Closed Thread