HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Send Lats To Junior

Old
10-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Jag68Sid87

vCash: 500
If he's going to play on the fourth line, moving him to LW was a good idea. I think his top-six forward position is going to be RW, because he is more dynamic there and can create more offense. Like he did in Drummond. But, I think he's better at the crash-and-bang game from the left side. He plays more straight ahead, which is what the fourth line is all about.

It's still early. Reserve judgment until the 9th game. Several other players are in the same boat as Latendresse, including Staal and Letang with my Pens, Bourdon in Vancouver, Vlasic in San Jose and Brule in Columbus.

Personally, I think they should all be playing AHL hockey right now, and I'd like to see the NHL come up with some sort of rule change. I understand that they want to protect CHL franchises, but I think that should NOT come at the detriment of a player's development. Clearly, the guys mentioned above are no longer at a junior level of play. They've outgrown the CHL. But, they could use some minor-pro experience. It's a shame they can't get it.

It's a bad rule for a good cause. Something's gotta give.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:01 PM
hockeyprincess

There's one problem: he can't be sent back to Drummondville no matter what. I believe, though, that the Habs should recall Andrei Kostitsyn and have him play on a line with Latendresse.
The third on that line: _________________ (insert name here).
Sending him back to Drummondville would not be smart anyway. They lost Derick Brassard, too, so the offence will not be there.

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Jag68Sid87

"There's one problem: he can't be sent back to Drummondville no matter what."

Care to explain that one?

Old
10-12-2006, 12:09 PM
goalchenyuk

Latendresse said himself that for now , he plays safe game and is trying to learned to be effective in his defensive game . He doesn't to try to goes for the big hit , before being more confortable with the speed of the game .

The player is intelligent and that's why he 's doing the safe things by now ; he 's not falling in the mood of trying to do too much . This is excellent from a junior player , to realise that the step is big betwen the 2 leagues .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:19 PM
hockeyprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
"There's one problem: he can't be sent back to Drummondville no matter what."

Care to explain that one?
One-way contract... can't be sent back down to Drummondville or be sent down to Hamilton. Latendresse is stuck on the roster.

Old
10-12-2006, 12:53 PM
kostybros

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyprincess View Post
One-way contract... can't be sent back down to Drummondville or be sent down to Hamilton. Latendresse is stuck on the roster.
I don't think so, after the 9games, they can send him down and they would only have to pay the signing bonus and 9/82 of 850k.

but like Carbo said, we're not gonna play games with him so if we keep him, it's for the year so he can improve playing with mens, not kids.

kostybros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
If we are going to play him on a 4th line and rot send him back down and bring up Kosty . After the 9th game do him a favour and give him ice time, then hopefully next year we play him with players can work with . Like I said before we are too scared to play a kid, mainly cups of coffee on 4th lines or a kid plays well in a few games and gets demoted later on . We didn`t have to spend 3 mil on Samsonov, when Lats and Kosty should of been on the top 3 lines from the start. We have plenty of vets to play these guys with . I don`t see how maybe 25 goals out of Samsonov justifies 3 mil a year .
From what I have seen in the first 3 games, Lats isn't ready. Period. I know it takes time for a young player, but to think he is ready for playing time on a top line is crazy.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Some points to consider:

1. What you and others in this thread see of Latendresse now is not what Latendresse is actually capable of playing like right now. He's unaccustomed to the pace of the game. It will take several games for him to adapt to the pace of the game.

2. While Latendresse's skating is not a strength of his, the issue Latendresse is having right now is anticipation--not speed. He's not anticipating the play well, and his reaction-time is poor. That's why he looks slow; not because of his skating speed.

3. Latendresse's learning curve from NHL practices alone will be far, far greater than anything he would learn in juniors.

4. The QMJHL is an awful place for a big-bodied skill player to develop. He will not need to use his physicality at all to score, and he'll develop bad, lazy habits, taking short-cuts offensively.

5. It's very likely that Latendresse will progress at a very rapid rate once he's become accustomed to the NHL pace. At that time, it's also very likely that Montreal will run into injury problems. Latendresse will see better quality ice time as the season progresses.

For these five reasons, Latendresse is better suited in the NHL, and will progress better at the NHL level.

Once again Mike8, you're bang on.

What i've noticed from Latendresse is that he's 1 step behind in the play. Not because of his footspeed, but because of anticipation like you said. He knows where to be on the ice, he's just slow reacting right now. He's getting accustomed to the speed of the game, but he hasn't looked out of place, and last night was the first night where I thought he looked comfortable, like his decision making was coming along faster.

I kind of liken it to what Komisarek went through last year. This year you see the big difference with Komisarek is that his anticipation awareness has skyrocketed to where he's being much more proactive.

What I like about Latendresse though, is that below the goaline, he dominates, and this even against NHL seasoned vets. If Dandenault shows a bit more accuracy, Latendresse gets his first NHL point last night after a sweet exchange with Johnson in the corner.

I really liked what I saw from him last night, the most impressive being that great play he made to move the puck out in the defensive zone where he chipped the puck between his legs to Bégin who didn't have to break stride to get the puck. I like what they're doing with GL right now, give him a good 15-20 games on the 4th line with 8-12 mins a game, give him some spot duty on the PP or 4 on 4, or on the 3rd line.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:42 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
One-way contract... can't be sent back down to Drummondville or be sent down to Hamilton.
19-year-olds can't play in the AHL in any event.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Hum... are you sure he gots a one way contract? AFAIK, all rookie contracts are two ways.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 02:02 PM
hockeyprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
True... but Jiri Tlusty is 18 and he's playing in the AHL!

Old
10-12-2006, 02:03 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
They can, but they just can't come from the CHL.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
True... but Jiri Tlusty is 18 and he's playing in the AHL!
Europeans can, North Americans can't.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Hum... are you sure he gots a one way contract? AFAIK, all rookie contracts are two ways.
Exactly. All entry-level contracts are two-way contracts. Latendresse can be sent down to Drummondville tomorrow, next week or in February if the team chooses.

Old
10-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Aarex

Quote:
Im pretty sure entry level contracts cannot be one way.

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
If we are going to play him on a 4th line and rot send him back down and bring up Kosty . After the 9th game do him a favour and give him ice time, then hopefully next year we play him with players can work with . Like I said before we are too scared to play a kid, mainly cups of coffee on 4th lines or a kid plays well in a few games and gets demoted later on . We didn`t have to spend 3 mil on Samsonov, when Lats and Kosty should of been on the top 3 lines from the start. We have plenty of vets to play these guys with . I don`t see how maybe 25 goals out of Samsonov justifies 3 mil a year .
Taaaaaaaa yeuullleeeeeeeeeee

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Mike8

Quote:
One-way contracts have nothing to do with whether a player can be sent down or not. The 'one-way' merely means that the player has one salary. 'Two-way' means that a player has two salaries: one that he earns for every day he's in the NHL, and the other for every day he's in the minors.

We see many players on one-way contracts in the minors regularly (McGillis, Sean Burke being the two that come to mind right now). Heck, Montreal signed Vandermeer to a one-way contract last year, and he spent the entire season with Hamilton.

Furthermore, as many others have stated, every player eligible (age-wise) to play in the CHL can play in the CHL regardless of which 'way' their contract is and anything else in the contract. Most players sign their first NHL contract while still playing in the CHL, and wind up playing another year or two down there still. The NHL contract doesn't kick in until they turn pro.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Medicine Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Depends if the Habs want Latendresse to be a power foward or a grinder...
Yes, because young players who start out on the 4th line like Thornton, Higgins, Ryder, Horton, the list goes on, never learn the offensive side of the game.

Medicine Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:01 PM
smnhppu

I'm gonna weigh in quickly on this (people seem to be taking this wayyyy too seriously).

First of all, I don't think he can re-enter the draft as one poster said. He signed a contract. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that players can only re-enter the draft if teams can't come to terms with the prospect.

My own opinion is that it never hurts a prospect to spend more time in minor leagues. In fact, I firmly believe that it is better for their development. I don't mean hockey skills as a prospect will acquire these at one point or another regardless (assuming he makes the big team). But what I mean is the ability to step up, to deal with pressure, to be a winner. A player that is a 4th line rookie learns to play the defensive part (as many people have said), and I think we can all agree that he will learn that at some point no matter what. But a 1st line franchise player has to deal with the pressure of being the go-to guy, even as a 1st line player in junior. IMO, that is not something a player is born with.

People draw comparisons to all kinds of other young superstars, and I don't think it's right to compare him to the exceptional players out there but forget about the ones who couldn't deal and/or perform in the clutch. What I think would be most interesting is to go back to Ribeiro's early years, take the posts from people saying "we need to bring Ribs up now" "he's the most creative player out there" and see what these people think now.

I don't think anyone is disapointed with Higgins' play? Did the time spent in NCAA & AHL hinder him? No. Now we have someone we can all confidently say will come through when we need him. Like I say, my own humble opinion says, there's no harm in sending him back, but to panic after 3 games is going overboard.

smnhppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:29 PM
tinyzombies

Lats is a pro. He signed a contract. That's it. Get him on a scoring line asap. Enough of this fourth line nonsense. The kid was one of our leading scorers two years in a row in preseason. He's earned a shot.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:33 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhv02 View Post
Taaaaaaaa yeuullleeeeeeeeeee
Damn straight!

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:34 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Lats is a pro. He signed a contract. That's it. Get him on a scoring line asap. Enough of this fourth line nonsense. The kid was one of our leading scorers two years in a row in preseason. He's earned a shot.
No one to take out of the 2 first lines.. even if the 2nd line hasnt produced much yet, you have to give them more than 3 games, we know these guys are talented, they just gotta learn each other's games and moves.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:36 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
No one to take out of the 2 first lines.. even if the 2nd line hasnt produced much yet, you have to give them more than 3 games, we know these guys are talented, they just gotta learn each other's games and moves.
Third line can also score on this team: hence, scoring line! Lats does not belong on the fourth line. I think Carbo is just taking it slow, which is the right thing to do. But the sooner he's moved up, the better.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 08:10 AM
oop007*

Send Latandresse Back Down.

The way I see it, Latandresse has had his couple of games(chances) in the NHL to perform. I say after a few more games, maybe even now... Montreal should bring up Kostitsyn replacing Latandresse. I think Kostitsyn deserved a shot from the start. Sending Latandresse back down will give him more time in the AHL and give our other rookie(s) a chance to get some NHL ice time. Kostitsyn already did come up a few games last season and I think if Montreal starts giving him some decent 4th line time, he'll be a a serious asset in the playoffs. I think Latandresse needs another half year in the AHL to do him good. Whereas I think a player like Kostitsyn can contribute to the team more and will be more prepared as an NHL player within a shorter period of time.

Lets not forget Kostitsyn has already scored a goal in the NHL last season. All though he is a young player, they should have brought him up last year so he'd be ready this year, seeing as how they didn't though he should definitely replace Latandresse for the time being. Fact is if Kostitsyn doesn't perform, then it's no different from Latandresse not performing. May as well switch them back and forth, keep them competitive and keep their ego's down. Eventually one of them will start to perform and we can keep that player in the NHL as the other one will obviously need more time in the AHL.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 08:12 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

you might be right but I doubt he'll go back down, at this point the team wants to give him all the chances in the world...and remember he only played 4 NHL games.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote