HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michal Rozsival appreciation thread (2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION)

Old
06-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Kritikal

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kritikal
Rozy was a good defenseman, the problem was his 5M cap hit and being forced to play first-pair minutes when, at the time, asking for anything more than second-pairing duties from him was asking for too much. If he was making 2-3M and we had someone to handle that first-pair RD spot, his tenure here would have been more than bearable. To his detriment, though, once Jagr left, the mindset drilled into him (i.e. GET THE PUCK TO JAGR) really screwed him as we had nobody (but Kotalik, another abomination) to rip one-timers from the point. Rozy had a good shot but never used it, and treated the puck like a hand grenade in the offensive zone (like everyone currently does).

Do I want him back? Maybe, if the price is right and he's restricted to third-pairing duties with maybe a bit of PP time depending on if he still has his shot, otherwise I only wanna see him out at even strength.

Kritikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind having him back for 2 or 2.5 on the 3rd pairing with Moore.

06-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Yes, he signed a big contract but his play also deteriorated. He went from a decent offensive defenseman to a poor one and gave the puck away more than he had before. He may have been the whipping boy partly because of his contract but he did his share to earn it. Whether he was trying too hard because of the contract we'll never really know but he's on a better team so he looks better, especially from a distance. I don't want him back.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:36 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The Rangers had nobody to slot above him. He played the role of a #1 D-man admirably considering his limitations. Its not his fault the team's roster deficiencies caused him to slot higher in the lineup. There plenty of situations that prove a ton of Ranger fans are idiots, but this is one of the biggest ones post-lockout.
Is there a way we can color code usernames @HFBoards based on the answer to the following questions:

- How did you feel about Rozsival?
- Should Messier coach the Rangers?

Right now, the only way to quickly determine a poster's thoughts on the above 2 questions is the amount of times they use the word "clown" in their posts.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:17 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass art by Brassard View Post
I wouldn't mind having him back for 2 or 2.5 on the 3rd pairing with Moore.

Rozy would be an idiot if he ever came back.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:26 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Michal Rozsival, Fedor Tyutin, Zbynek Michalek, Ladislav Smid, Jan Hejda and in the past Toni Lydman have all been talented non-offensively-flashy European defensemen I have often felt have been underrated, overlooked, certainly underappreciated by the media for a number of years, quality 2/3 slot guys, definitely top-3 material on any team.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:03 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Is there a way we can color code usernames @HFBoards based on the answer to the following questions:

- How did you feel about Rozsival?
- Should Messier coach the Rangers?

Right now, the only way to quickly determine a poster's thoughts on the above 2 questions is the amount of times they use the word "clown" in their posts.
i clown would clown prefer clown that clown blowzy clown didnt clown return clown.

clown

not a fan of the overpaid giveaway doofus, random falling down, creme puff, pp meltdown act that was mike rozy

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i clown would clown prefer clown that clown blowzy clown didnt clown return clown.

clown

not a fan of the overpaid giveaway doofus, random falling down, creme puff, pp meltdown act that was mike rozy
And this was what was wrong when he was here. People started this rhetoric and eventually everyone though it was "fun and cool" to continue it. Anyone who watched the games knew the guy had talent and was a good player.

Malik was the same way. These guys gave real good minutes to the Rangers playing above their heads blocking shots and doing what they could. Sad to see this is still going on.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
And this was what was wrong when he was here. People started this rhetoric and eventually everyone though it was "fun and cool" to continue it. Anyone who watched the games knew the guy had talent and was a good player.

Malik was the same way. These guys gave real good minutes to the Rangers playing above their heads blocking shots and doing what they could. Sad to see this is still going on.
It is carrying over to guys like Girardi and MDZ lately too. Especially MDZ, he's just being torn apart by Rangers fans to similar ilk of what happened to Roszival.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:17 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
It is carrying over to guys like Girardi and MDZ lately too. Especially MDZ, he's just being torn apart by Rangers fans to similar ilk of what happened to Roszival.
Happens all the time. They have to have someone to steamroll.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
It's true the crowd has been a bit harsh, but DZ is prone to some REALLY bad play

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

As it's been said, Rozy was an elite 2nd pairing guy who was asked to play a #1 role. He performed admirably but just wasn't quite at that level. Definitely got a raw deal to an extent. However, his reluctance to use that fantastic shot from the point drove me nuts. He was always petrified to shoot.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Michal Rozsival, Fedor Tyutin, Zbynek Michalek, Ladislav Smid, Jan Hejda and in the past Toni Lydman have all been talented non-offensively-flashy European defensemen I have often felt have been underrated, overlooked, certainly underappreciated by the media for a number of years, quality 2/3 slot guys, definitely top-3 material on any team.
Good call, some very good role players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post

Agreed. The glass is half empty, they don't acknowledge the part that was half full. Why are they important? They helped the younger guys progress without putting them in the cross hairs, learning while not being bombarded, and that absolutely matters when we talk of 'bringing along the youth'.

Quote:

MDZ is 23. Roszy was 27 when he played his first season as a Ranger. While I'm not a huge Del Z fan, you have to admit we have asked so much from the guy, he's still very much a kid.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:29 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

were talkin about the rozy that was sometimes benched for his disinterested unproductive play, always booed by the garden faithful ( for no reason of course), frequently looked like a dewsh, refused to shoot the puck, could not play the pp and was part of that rash of shorthanded goals against when he would fumble pucks along the wall on the pp point, and lastly, the same guy that would play "ole defense" and barely attempt to get in the way of a guy with the puck....

that guy ?

yes he was overpaid and yes he was playing too many top minutes and yes he was a good loyal soldier but really, that ship sailed along time ago.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:49 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

I couldnt stand Rozy...He had too much of a responsibility and couldnt perform regularly.

Nice to see him succeed, will be rooting for his team to win the cup

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:08 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
As it's been said, Rozy was an elite 2nd pairing guy who was asked to play a #1 role. He performed admirably but just wasn't quite at that level. Definitely got a raw deal to an extent. However, his reluctance to use that fantastic shot from the point drove me nuts. He was always petrified to shoot.
It's Czech law that you have to attempt a pass to Jaromir Jagr before you even consider shooting. Even if Jagr is on the bench or sitting in the press box. Penalty for non-compliance is death.

I'm surprised that's not common knowledge.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

He's the only reason why I'll be rooting for Chicago to win.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I really liked Rozy when he was here. He never shot though. Ever. I went to a game where he scored and the shot was top cheese from the blueline and a rocket.

Lot of people comparing the situations of him and DZ and I see it as well. Getting ask to do a hell of a lot and DZ is only a kid. HOWEVER, he exits that phase next season IMO.

Anyway, Rozy is still effective. Can't over-expect though. I hope he wins.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
I couldnt stand Rozy...He had too much of a responsibility
Ha. This encompasses the Rozsival debate perfectly. Hate the player because hes being asked to play above his head.

Makes sense.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Ice Hockey

i think rozy got an unfair amount of blame. was i in love with his cap hit? hell no. but at a mill or 1.5 less he'd be a steal. highly skilled, solid, big dman who is pretty quick considering his size when healthy. protected the puck well too.

i think he was asked to do too much. all the dmen on the rangers have been for quite a while now because we can't score and have to try and eek out wins via shutout. this is why he's a good fit where he is. he's on a freakin team that can put a puck or two in the net most games.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Zamboner
Your move, creep.

I think the time away has inflated Rozi's reputation big time around here. He had a very good first year for the Rangers. Loved him that first year. Had high hopes for him after. But his play deteriorated pretty much every year after. His biggest strength was his shot, which he rarely used. Defensively, he was not good. Things being said like, "strong on the puck" and "solid" are not words I would ever use. He was a turnover machine, out of position constantly, prone to mishandling the puck, and pushed off the puck a lot, specifically at the front of the net. I never thought he had a defensive identity either (Wasn't physical, which is fine if your positional, but he wasn't that either, and he couldn't make up for either with speed, or a good stick, which he had neither of). While his contract being an abomination made things difficult for him, I don't believe for a second that he ever got a "raw deal" here. I found the criticism was mostly warranted.

From what I've seen, he looks like he put together a good year for himself this year and I'm honestly happy for him. I remember Renney saying things like Rozi was one of the best men he ever coached, and by all accounts he is a great guy. So seriously, good for him if he gets to hoist a cup. But by no means do I miss him on the blueline. And I'm really surprised anybody else would.

Last edited by Zamboner: 06-12-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Zamboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I don't think we need him back, no.

I'm sure he is much happier there than he was here; I mean... who gets booed at a jersey retirement ceremony? One of the days I was very ashamed to be a part of this fanbase. Maybe it takes a city-type personality to do that kind of thing.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

While Rozsival seems to be a very, very nice fellow, I wouldn't like him back on the Rangers. Maybe as 6/7/injury callup D, but we have enough of those. Turnover machine, isn't sound positionally, basically the ******* child of Gilroy and Hamrlik.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I don't think we need him back, no.

I'm sure he is much happier there than he was here; I mean... who gets booed at a jersey retirement ceremony? One of the days I was very ashamed to be a part of this fanbase. Maybe it takes a city-type personality to do that kind of thing.
I'd take him back on a cheap deal in an instant. Hes basically exactly what this defense can use.

Long shot to begin with, made nearly impossible by the bozos that booed him out of town.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
While Rozsival seems to be a very, very nice fellow, I wouldn't like him back on the Rangers. Maybe as 6/7/injury callup D, but we have enough of those. Turnover machine, isn't sound positionally, basically the ******* child of Gilroy and Hamrlik.
How many Stanley Cup finals have those fellows played in?