HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Mark Streit to a multi-year deal [4 yrs, $21m; $5.25 AAV] (post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Streit >> carle
Hey look, someone else who knows hockey.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Just for the record... where exactly does Frank Seravalli come into play with that?

... As for the interview... Sure positive in all aspects, and sounds like it's coming from a guy who is planning on being a Flyer this coming season... or is at least saying all the correct things in case that does happen... and if not, he will say similar statements about the team he does eventually sign with.
Pity he didn't have him on Skype. We could have seen how non-committal he looks in a Flyer jersey!

Old
06-12-2013, 05:46 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I was focusing on Streit during the playoff games I watched and he looked good. Always liked him in Montreal too. Smart, skilled player. If we can sign him, he'll be a good bridge between the Kimmo regime and the next group of D coming up. You need a steady vet to teach the kids, and he clearly wasn't hurting the Isles' youngins......
Ding ding ding. Exactly. We gotta remember, Timonen is most likely going to retire after this coming season. Even if its 1-2 years, as long as he stays as a 4 defender him teaching the youngings will be good. By then either the guy we draft in the first (hopefully), maybe even Ghost will be ready to hop in. Not a full time spot but always a chance to grab someone else via free agency again. 3 years for Streit, IMO, wont be a bad deal.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:49 PM
rjmkrm

Bottom line is he is not signing ANYWHERE for less than 4 yrs witth an AAV of $5MM. Isles offered him 3 and $4.75MM respectively and he turned them down...

Old
06-12-2013, 05:51 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2401
Quote:
Just for the record... where exactly does Frank Seravalli come into play with that?
He probably meant Sanfilippo. I added a link to the article which is also posted on the team's website.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-12-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Prongo
Beer

I think a 4 year deal gets made here. Three would be very ideal but I believe Streit can still play 4 years, and so does management if the rumors are true.

He wants a raise with his new contract, so let's do the Flyers thing and front load it.

6 million
5 million
4 million
3 million

That's 18 million over 4 years at a 4.5 million per year. Streit only started playing in the NHL at the age of 28 as well. He has more left in the tank than people think I believe. Also I have been saying this was going to happen for a little while now(not the trade, but the Flyers going for him, others as well too), we love our FA in this town. Let's hope he plays well enough to justify the cap hit, also he provides a great quality the back end will lack after next year, leadership. It's not like the Pronger contract going until he is 42, he will be 40 at the end. Prime time for him to retire and return home to the land if the swiss cheese.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmkrm View Post
Bottom line is he is not signing ANYWHERE for less than 4 yrs witth an AAV of $5MM. Isles offered him 3 and $4.75MM respectively and he turned them down...
I could still see 3 years at 5.5M per or so.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
You seem to dont like him that much. Oh well.

That being said, Im 100% ok with a high limit of 5 mil. Hoping it is for 3 years though. That being said, wasnt it rumored Gonchar had the same deal in Ott but didnt sign it? Then did with the Stars.

We dont know how Streit felt about staying with the Isles or not. Maybe he wanted to go to another team. No one knows.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Roman Reigns
One Versus All

Quote:
Or maybe he just didn't want to play for your team anymore. But that can't be true, everyone wants to play for the Islanders

Old
06-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
A free agent turning down the Islanders' best offer? Shocking.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Jtown

4 years is just idiotic. 3 years is the best to hope for.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
As I stated earlier, the only reason the Flyers should consider a 4th year is if he's willing to take roughly half of his 3rd year salary (highest allowable decrease) to depress the AAV of the other 3 years. I'm sure no one wants a 39 year old Streit, but if he's willing to concede on the overall AAV, the Flyers have got to meet him somewhere.

Given where we area with guys signed, RFAs, etc, I'm ok with the 4th year in term if it buys us more wiggle room in season.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

FWIW... He signed a five year FA contract with the Isles for an even across the board $4.1M per year... This is important as it means that he is leaving the contract with a yearly cash amount of $4.1 as well as an AAV amount.

IMO, The Flyers can more easily work off that number than they would have to if it were an escalating one with an AAV of $4.1 that ended in $6M (for example)... where they would have to ask him to take a large cut in salary. If they were to give him an escalated contract now they can start him off with a nice raise and the understanding that he would be making less as his worth would naturally decline with age... rather than starting out with decrease that would continue to decline.

I see the $4.1M flat Islander contract as being beneficial for the Flyers as they attempt to woo him... and manage their Cap going forward.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:25 PM
GiggityGiggityGoo

Quote:
Just because he turned down a contract with those terms doesn't mean both years AND salary have to go up to get a deal done. 3 years at 5 or 2 years at 6 may satisfy Streit and his agent. Who knows?

Old
06-12-2013, 06:39 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Yeah I'd much rather give him more money for 3 years than have that 4th year looming.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:46 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Are you related to Sanfillippo or something?! I apologize for the mispost of the author.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:53 PM
loudis

Nice move. Now pick Ristolainen and he can develop in 2 years to a solid puckmoving d-man.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Bryz4shiz

Great just what the team needs, another huge over payment for a 25+ player because Homer just likes to grab at things. Homer's probably going to give him 4 years 6 mill with a full NMC.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:04 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryz4shiz View Post
Great just what the team needs, another huge over payment for a 25+ player because Homer just likes to grab at things. Homer's probably going to give him 4 years 6 mill with a full NMC.
Its a good grab as long as he doesnt overpay. We needed another vet puckmover.

We dont trade Schenn or Couturier and we add a huge component to our defense. If the team wanted to make playoffs, they cant have a defense full of rookies.

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Gustafsson-Grossmann

Is a solid, solid, solidddd defense.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Its a good grab as long as he doesnt overpay. We needed another vet puckmover.

We dont trade Schenn or Couturier and we add a huge component to our defense. If the team wanted to make playoffs, they cant have a defense full of rookies.

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Gustafsson-Grossmann

Is a solid, solid, solidddd defense.
I'm glad we didn't give up Schenn or Couturier for say Yandle, and I like that lineup, but the thing is Homer is going to over pay.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Another plus is that if we draft a defenseman in the 1st, there's less pressure from the media and fans for him to be rushed.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryz4shiz View Post
I'm glad we didn't give up Schenn or Couturier for say Yandle, and I like that lineup, but the thing is Homer is going to over pay.
Overpay in terms of money or overpay in terms of assets.

Money just costs you cap space. Assets cost you guys like Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, etc.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I'm more concerned with years over money at this point. I'm hoping for 3 years but I guess I could live with 4. Anymore than that I won't be happy.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
I guess other teams don't have to hide their RFA defenseman now.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:33 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Overpay in terms of money or overpay in terms of assets.

Money just costs you cap space. Assets cost you guys like Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm more concerned with years over money at this point. I'm hoping for 3 years but I guess I could live with 4. Anymore than that I won't be happy.

I agree. I would rather overpay in terms of money than players. I also rather overpay in terms of dollars for a shorter term than a longer term to get cap hit down.

Closed Thread