HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXI - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I assume Grigorenko would be part of the return, especially with Roy as the decider?
If there was a deal, I'd imagine it centers around Myers. Colorado has enough young center talent that Grigorenko doesn't do much for them. What they're really missing is impact defensemen so they might be willing to gamble on Myers being that sooner than Jones.

1st overall is a hell of thing to give though. If I was Colorado I'd be asking for two of Myers and Vanek (keep in mind, only has one year of club control left for him) and Buffalo's 8th overall.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Andy

Buffalo used to be a great team. They deteriorated fast. Briere, Roy, Campbell, Pomminville, Drury, Connolly, Lydman, Tallinder.

A lot of those guys are old now, but they lost a lot of those players without getting much back in return. Briere, Lydman, Tallinder, Campbell, Drury and Connolly were all quality players lost to FA. Losing Vanek to FA also would be a huge blow.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
If there was a deal, I'd imagine it centers around Myers. Colorado has enough young center talent that Grigorenko doesn't do much for them. What they're really missing is impact defensemen so they might be willing to gamble on Myers being that sooner than Jones.

1st overall is a hell of thing to give though. If I was Colorado I'd be asking for two of Myers and Vanek (keep in mind, only has one year of club control left for him) and Buffalo's 8th overall.
I had been thinking ROR was on his way out of town (maybe for a dman) after the holdout, but that might not be the case anymore with the management change...

Old
06-12-2013, 05:09 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
That's tough because then letting Markov walk imo wouldn't be good asset management. If they plan on not signing him past this season it's best to trade him now. Personally I don't want to see Markov traded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Having the one of the best PP D in the league is never a redundancy. He becomes redundant when he stops being that or Diaz/Beaulieu start being elite at something.

Most of the Markov proposals are about killing one of the team's best strengths and losing more games in return for a prospect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Markov and PK were the best PP duo in the NHL, by far. Unless Beaulieu and Diaz can also provide that while performing as a top 4 D, then we can talk about it.

Moving Markov now just because it might be the best time to do so while killing our PP pair would be dumb.
If PK doesn't rack up the points on the PP as he did, he doesn't get nominated for the Norris.

Diaz has been injured every year here, and he's struggled for half his games over that tenure. If he goes through yet another similar year, I don't think he'll get another contract.

Ideally, we have three PMDs matched up with bigger and more physical Dmen. So PK, Markov and Beaulieu matched up with Emelin, Tinordi, Gorges (hopefully we could move Gorges for a bigger and more physical version).

If Markov also adapts to being a little slower, then he could serve a huge purpose for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Can we please wait and see if Beaulieu is able to contribute even a fraction of what Markov brings?? He was not really dominant last year in the AHL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
When Beaulieu makes the NHL he won't instantly be a #2 or 3 d-man playing 20+ minutes a night.
I don't expect Beaulieu to come in and completely replace Markov's production. I just see Markov as a liability at even strength and it's not going to get better. To me it would be foolish to tie up $5 million+ in him on a 35+ contract.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Buffalo used to be a great team. They deteriorated fast. Briere, Roy, Campbell, Pomminville, Drury, Connolly, Lydman, Tallinder.

A lot of those guys are old now, but they lost a lot of those players without getting much back in return. Briere, Lydman, Tallinder, Campbell, Drury and Connolly were all quality players lost to FA. Losing Vanek to FA also would be a huge blow.
They really got screwed by injuries in the playoffs during their cup window right after the lockout. Amazingly deep team they had.

But now they're basically done. Trading Roy for Ott was essentially the final nail in their coffin as a team that could make the playoffs. By the same token, signing Ville Lieno was a good indication that they weren't a well run franchise anymore.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Quote:
"You want to know the truth," said Esposito, the fifth-leading goal scorer in hockey history. "This series doesn't mean s*** to me.

"I have no feeling for these teams. There's nothing emotional about it. They both got rid of me, traded me. So screw them."
Would be funny to have a clip.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:48 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post

Would be funny to have a clip.
Wow. Kind of a bitter fellow. Not the only player to ever be traded.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:51 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
Wow. Kind of a bitter fellow. Not the only player to ever be traded.
I rather an old school guy who grew attached and to love his team than today's mercs.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:

One does not simply miss Afinogenov. There was Spacek in his great days. Losing Drury and Briere killed this franchise 6 years ago. They reached the Conference Finals two years in a row and they have never been the same team since.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:54 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I rather an old school guy who grew attached and to love his team than today's mercs.
But he doesn't sound so attached since he claims to not care. I mean, look at guys like Carbo, captain of the Habs traded part way through his career. He's still a Hab through and through.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
But he doesn't sound so attached since he claims to not care. I mean, look at guys like Carbo, captain of the Habs traded part way through his career. He's still a Hab through and through.
Carbo coached for them years later too. Not the same situation.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:59 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Carbo coached them years later too. Not the same situation.
Lots of players get moved during their careers though and still have a loyalty afterwards to an old team rather than a 'screw them' attitude. If he had simply said he took no interest, that would be one thing. He could have at least been a little classy for the fans who grew up idolizing the guy.

Last edited by andy28: 06-12-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 28m #Isles announce they have traded veteran defenseman (and captain) Mark Streit to PHI for 4th round pick in 2014 and Shane Harper

Ryder must be worth a decent pick...Go Bergevin Go
Flyers are nuts. Streit looked awful this year IMHO. I mean, I'll be happy if they burden themselves with another dumb contract there. It doesn't seem like a smart move at all to me. There are dozens of mid-level offensive D around who could do as well as Streit does these days, if they got Streit-like ice.

I don't think it means we could get anything for Ryder, though. PMD/PP point man is still a coveted role, while streaky unidimensional 2nd line goal scorer has traditionally been one of the least-coveted niches.

We have to keep Markov for this year, because... well, our D is bad enough already and there's nobody to replace him. Well, and because he's really good. Not what he was. But still really good. That sort of also means we have to keep him beyond this year too, because we won't want to lose him for nothing as a UFA, if it came to that. Unless of course we were out of the playoff races at the trade deadline, but hopefully that's not too likely. So we keep Markov for now, sign him again in the off-season, and revisit the question once there is more data on the table somewhere down the road... no point in planning something now when everything could change. Deal with it when the time comes, not now.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Lots of players get moved during their careers though and still have a loyalty afterwards to an old team rather than a 'screw them' attitude. If he had simply said he took no interest, that would be one thing. He could have at least been a little classy for the fans who grew up idolizing the guy.
He's acting like Melanson. Both are classless.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
GO HAWKS GO!

where are all the hockey fans?!

Old
06-12-2013, 07:03 PM
andy28

Quote:
GO HAWKS GO!

Time to roll. Go Hawks!

Old
06-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Picaroon

Is the CBC stream not working for anyone else? Just a black screen here.

Edite: NVM, it came around.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Andy

Great intro song! Oasis was great man.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Dat intro. God damn.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:16 PM
andy28

If it's just going to be like four of us, maybe we should keep posting voraciously to make it feel like it's buzzing.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
GO HAWKS GO!

Lewl. Most of the people here are only Habs fans. They don't care about other teams.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:17 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

CBC intros

Damn

Old
06-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Hullois

Lollll anybody else heard the "calisss" on the RDS feed lol

Old
06-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Lewl. The coaches do not swear anymore when they are being filmed.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:20 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
there was a time where it wasnt the case. Esposito played in that period.

Closed Thread