HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Malcolm Subban

Old
06-12-2013, 07:30 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Malcolm Subban

Win or lose in the Stanley Cup Final I'm sure that during the off season Tuukka Rask will want a long term contract based on his play during the playoffs. So with that in mind and assuming that happens, where will that leave Malcolm Subban and his future with the Bruins? So if Rask is signed to a long term contract should the Bruins think about trading Subban?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 07:35 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Win or lose in the Stanley Cup Final I'm sure that during the off season Tuukka Rask will want a long term contract based on his play during the playoffs. So with that in mind and assuming that happens, where will that leave Malcolm Subban and his future with the Bruins? So if Rask is signed to a long term contract should the Bruins think about trading Subban?
Even if Rask gets an 8 year deal I think there is at least 2-3 years before Subban is ready for the NHL.
Then he backs up Rask for a few season then Boston can decide who they want to keep at that time when Subban will most likely have better value then he has now.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 07:39 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Even if Rask gets an 8 year deal I think there is at least 2-3 years before Subban is ready for the NHL.
Then he backs up Rask for a few season then Boston can decide who they want to keep at that time when Subban will most likely have better value then he has now.
So you can't see a situation down the road in Boston like what Vancouver is going through with Luongo and Schneider? Using them as an example Schenider was a 1st round pick in 2004 the same way Subban was in 2012. Now Vancouver can't trade Luongo because of his contract and named Schneider their #1 Goalie. So maybe Boston should look at that as an example of what not to do when they sign a Goalie long term and have a top prospect as a back-up for a long period of time.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 07:42 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
You don't have to look any further than the Boston franchise itself, they'll bring Subban up the same way they did Tuukka too. No reason to trade Subban now.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 07:44 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
So you can't see a situation down the road in Boston like what Vancouver is going through with Luongo and Schneider? Using them as an example Schenider was a 1st round pick in 2004 the same way Subban was in 2012. Now Vancouver can't trade Luongo because of his contract and named Schneider their #1 Goalie. So maybe Boston should look at that as an example of what not to do when they sign a Goalie long term and have a top prospect as a back-up for a long period of time.
No, you can't have Malcolm Subban for Andrew Raycroft...no backsies!

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:02 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Boston is unlikely to deal Subban this year, you can never say never, because something silly may come up that Boston jumps on.

Right now Subban has decent value, but probably no more than a middle first round pick, it isn't like he jumped his value dramatically.

Now if next trade deadline Subban is the guy who can get the Bruins an impact player signed for 3 year at a position of need, maybe he is dealt.

More likely the bruins don't even think about dealing him until he has had a season as a #1 goalie in the AHL, and showed so much ability doing so that some team feels they need him and are willing to pay a ton to get him.

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:04 PM
roflstomper
I don't row.

Subban is at least 4-5 years away, and then it's not even a guarantee. His value isn't too much right now. They need to sign Rask, groom Subban and increase his value. This conversation is a few years away.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Kaen

Quote:
Well Schneider didn't stick in the NHL until 2010-2011, so if you're using that as an example, that means Subban won't be ready until around 2018-2019. Seems a little early to be worrying about a problem you might have in five years.

Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:17 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Watch Subban turn into the next Jonathan Bernier, stuck behind an all-star goalie for several years.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:06 PM
jmeehan1985

The Bruins won't sign Rask to the Max contract. I bet he gets 5 years 30 million. Bruins are deep at Goalie there is no reason to rush Subban or trade him. I'd rather have great depth at goaltending. If I could I'd sign Khudobin to a 1 year contract because I think he deserves it. keep Svedberg in the Minors and have Subban back him up next year.

jmeehan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:29 PM
WreckItRask

I don't think Subban's trade status has anything to do with Rask in the short term. I do, however, think that he would become available is one of Svedberg, Volden, and/or Zane Gothberg established themselves as legit NHL goalies in the coming years. You would then have a bit of a logjam at the position. But right now it just looks like steady as she goes is the plan for him.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Subban has very low value right now. Wait until he can play at least a season in the AHL at a high level at minimum

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:54 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
No, you can't have Malcolm Subban for Andrew Raycroft...no backsies!
What about Justin Pogge?

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:14 PM
firstemperor

Not that high right now, so no reason for Boston to trade him. Thus, they will likely hold onto him.

I don't think he'd net a first round pick in this draft, for example.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
It just doesn't make sense to move him right now. A lot could happen before he even sees NHL ice that could increase or decrease his value.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Subban isn't even out of juniors yet, him and Rask have nothing to do with each other. You develop subban the same exact way u developed Rask.

Plus, because an organization has a good young goalie they should in turn trade all their other prospects? Hell no.

Look at it this way, chiarelli wouldn't have drafted him a year ago if he wasplanning on trading him because of Tuuka. Even if Tuuka sucked and busted this year, subban would still be 3-5 years away.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote