HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo to... ANYWHERE!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2013, 08:36 PM
  #151
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 155
That was a painful page to read.

Flair Hay is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 08:37 PM
  #152
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
That was a painful page to read.

Read it again then! It will toughen you up before the next Dipietro/Luongo thread.

__________________
Man, do I ever miss Oleg Kvasha. If Oleg was here, everything would be OK.
Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 08:40 PM
  #153
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
agreed, im not convinced he's the saviour .... all indications make it a good bet, but Luongo is proven.

id happily stick w Luo if the Schneids deal is right.

All this deriding Luongo is the result of a year of speculation & annoyance on the part of fans, fueled by the Toronto media, which badmouths him at every step
OT: Is that cutie in your avatar your child? Congrats!

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 08:41 PM
  #154
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
KZ, you are a good guy and I appreciate you indulging me while I played devil's advocate.

The irony,btw, is that I make my living as a social scientist. I have to deal with issues related to sample size and outliers every day!
I would be fascinated to hear you answer his question without spin.

Seatoo is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 11:06 PM
  #155
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,176
vCash: 580
Dunno how Van fans would feel about this one but:

To Van:Hemsky, Ana 2nd
To Edm: Luongo, Van 1st, and Van retains 1M of Luongo's cap hit for duration of deal.

raab is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 11:12 PM
  #156
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,410
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Dunno how Van fans would feel about this one but:

To Van:Hemsky, Ana 2nd
To Edm: Luongo, Van 1st, and Van retains 1M of Luongo's cap hit for duration of deal.
Hell no.

No way we trade Luongo for negative value, especially if we're retaining salary(which is a non-starter imo).

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 11:27 PM
  #157
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Dunno how Van fans would feel about this one but:

To Van:Hemsky, Ana 2nd
To Edm: Luongo, Van 1st, and Van retains 1M of Luongo's cap hit for duration of deal.
Retaining 1 million would more than offset the cap penalty you know, right?

Ho Borvat is online now  
Old
06-12-2013, 11:28 PM
  #158
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,410
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Retaining 1 million would more than offset the cap penalty you know, right?
Technically not, because Luongo.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 11:36 PM
  #159
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Technically not, because Luongo.
In the Van - Minny thread there is a guy arguing that Luongo will have to be bought out when hes 40 because he wont retire and he will play for 1 million...

Ho Borvat is online now  
Old
06-13-2013, 12:08 AM
  #160
Scott Scissons
No.1 Bust
 
Scott Scissons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Awakening Darth Milbury has been the only positive thing Rick DiPietro has done in 5+ years.

Scott Scissons is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 03:30 AM
  #161
mstad101
Registered User
 
mstad101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
In the Van - Minny thread there is a guy arguing that Luongo will have to be bought out when hes 40 because he wont retire and he will play for 1 million...
The best part is when he calls it free money.
Yeah like playing in the NHL is free of stress and pain. That part made me laugh the most since any guy at that age will have to be in tiptop shape to be even competitive. Luongo has already stated himself he wouldn't play past the point of being a useful starter. He doesn't wanna ride the pine and definitely not for a million bucks when by that time he will have banked near 58 million just from this contrac alone at the age of 40.

mstad101 is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:26 AM
  #162
TOGuy14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,156
vCash: 500
Just wondering in the context of Luongo and when he may or may not retire:

What is more appealing to teams; Luongo playing until 40 something with his 5.6 caphit as a backup, or Luongo retiring and having 2-3m in dead capspace for a guy not even on your team?

TOGuy14 is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:31 AM
  #163
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,410
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Just wondering in the context of Luongo and when he may or may not retire:

What is more appealing to teams; Luongo playing until 40 something with his 5.6 caphit as a backup, or Luongo retiring and having 2-3m in dead capspace for a guy not even on your team?
Firstly, it's a 5.3m cap hit, and secondly, the cap penalty would only be 1.6m. Which in what might very well be an 80m salary cap, is nothing.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:31 AM
  #164
jamiebez
Registered User
 
jamiebez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
He's still got value. I think a team like Winnipeg would want him. Vancouver could probs get a 1st.
Chevy's not trading our first. Not his style.

However, I'm spitballing here What would it take? What are Vancouver's needs besides just resolving this clusterfudge at long last?

Pieces in play on our side:
- Burmistrov
- Postma
- MAYBE Zach Redmond
- one of our 2nd rounders (#43, #59, #60/61)
- Pavelec. He's either an expensive backup OR a cheap buyout - he can be bought out for 1/3 his salary this summer.
- Thorburn or Stuart. If Gillis is right about getting "tougher to play against" these are about the best we can offer

Depending on how our RFA re-signings and budget work out, I could see taking Booth off your hands too, if there's any appetite to do that. Just a thought.

Warning: you'll get a wide range of opinions on this from Jets fans, but I really wanna see where this goes.....

jamiebez is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:33 AM
  #165
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,410
vCash: 5555
Postma + 2 2nds would be a decent basis, I'd think.

Would Little be available?

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:43 AM
  #166
jamiebez
Registered User
 
jamiebez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Postma + 2 2nds would be a decent basis, I'd think.

Would Little be available?
I considered putting him on there, since I think he'd suit your needs really well - versatile and speedy.

We don't have much depth up the middle though, and I don't think you guys are going to send us a center back, so that avenue probably won't go far.

I'd seriously consider Postma and 2 2nds.

jamiebez is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:45 AM
  #167
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
I considered putting him on there, since I think he'd suit your needs really well - versatile and speedy.

We don't have much depth up the middle though, and I don't think you guys are going to send us a center back, so that avenue probably won't go far.

I'd seriously consider Postma and 2 2nds.
We can add Schroder if that helps with Little.

Seatoo is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:50 AM
  #168
tempest2i
Myxomatosis
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Firstly, it's a 5.3m cap hit, and secondly, the cap penalty would only be 1.6m. Which in what might very well be an 80m salary cap, is nothing.
Any dead cap space in a league with a hard cap is a negative. It could be the difference between getting to sign that coveted UFA you want, or having to settle for the one you can afford.

There are many reasons I have for why I would not want to deal with Luongo's contract, dead cap space at the end of his career is one of them.

tempest2i is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:10 AM
  #169
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Any dead cap space in a league with a hard cap is a negative. It could be the difference between getting to sign that coveted UFA you want, or having to settle for the one you can afford.

There are many reasons I have for why I would not want to deal with Luongo's contract, dead cap space at the end of his career is one of them.
How many teams operate withinin 1-2 million of the cap?

Ho Borvat is online now  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:12 AM
  #170
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
We can add Schroder if that helps with Little.
Dude you dont just "add Schroeder" to a deal...

Im not a huge Schroeder fan but the guy is still an asset, not just a throw in.

Ho Borvat is online now  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:30 AM
  #171
ShameOnYouZidlicky
Registered User
 
ShameOnYouZidlicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
Luongo for Bozak, Kadri and a pick...oh wait

ShameOnYouZidlicky is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:36 AM
  #172
jamiebez
Registered User
 
jamiebez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
We can add Schroder if that helps with Little.
We have Scheifele coming in next year, so it's pretty risky having two unproven guys (Scheifele and Schroeder) and a stiff (Jokinen) up the middle.

jamiebez is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:43 AM
  #173
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
OT: Is that cutie in your avatar your child? Congrats!
thanks!
he is, though now he's almost 8.
that's how long I've been idling away on these boards ... (almost as long as you!)

NYVanfan is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:11 AM
  #174
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Firstly, it's a 5.3m cap hit, and secondly, the cap penalty would only be 1.6m. Which in what might very well be an 80m salary cap, is nothing.
Doesnt that hold true for the option of buying out Luongo as well? Spread over almost 20 years the dollar figure isnt that huge so why do Canucks fans dismiss the possibility of a buyout? No team is going to want to take that on and have it affect their cap and use up a compliance buyout on it but the Canucks have to deal with the situation and a buyout seems easy enough. They've wasted more on marginal defencemen sitting on their roster the last few season.

Halibut is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:22 AM
  #175
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,410
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Doesnt that hold true for the option of buying out Luongo as well? Spread over almost 20 years the dollar figure isnt that huge so why do Canucks fans dismiss the possibility of a buyout? No team is going to want to take that on and have it affect their cap and use up a compliance buyout on it but the Canucks have to deal with the situation and a buyout seems easy enough. They've wasted more on marginal defencemen sitting on their roster the last few season.
Because we can still get assets for Luongo, as he's still a great player. Do you see Hawks fans rushing to buy out Hossa, or Devils fans Kovalchuk?

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.