HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver + Minnesota

Old
06-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Sorry Vancouver, you guys are stuck with Luongo. The sooner you trade Schneider and accept that fact, the better for everyone.

On the bright side, he looked pretty damn good in the playoffs, better than Schneider.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Ho Borvat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Sorry Vancouver, you guys are stuck with Luongo. The sooner you trade Schneider and accept that fact, the better for everyone.

On the bright side, he looked pretty damn good in the playoffs, better than Schneider.
So are you going to add anything positive to this thread.... or just regurgitate the same garbage people have been spitting for the last month?

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
I'd consider it if St. Paul Luongo's deal was only another 2-3 years, but unfortunately it's a hell of a lot longer than that.
In all fairness, its 4-5 years with a cap-penalty for 2-3 years which totals less than Dany Heatleys cap hit.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
So are you going to add anything positive to this thread.... or just regurgitate the same garbage people have been spitting for the last month?
Excuse me?!

What has been regurgitated more on this forum than Vancouver fans throwing out proposals to get out of one of the worst contacts in NHL history?

I am sick to death of Luongo proposals.

STOP! No sane GM will trade for him, Move on! etc.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Excuse me?!

What has been regurgitated more on this forum than Vancouver fans throwing out proposals to get out of one of the worst contacts in NHL history?

I am sick to death of Luongo proposals.

STOP! No sane GM will trade for him, Move on! etc.
Annnddd... don't you think you stand at the other end of that extreme?

Old
06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Quote:
In all fairness, its 4-5 years with a cap-penalty for 2-3 years which totals less than Dany Heatleys cap hit.
So? The Wild may end up using an amnesty buyout on Heatley which would cost us nothing and why would we want Luongo for that long? We have Kuemper and Gustafsson in the system and eventually they need to be given a shot. It just makes no sense to take Luongo on for that long.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Annnddd... don't you think you stand at the other end of that extreme?
I stand for common sense.

Even if Lou has 5 more good years, which for a 34 year old is generous, check out the buyout calculator at cap geek:

http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=683

What GM wh hopes to keep his job is going to trade for that?

No, my POV is entirely normal and sane.

Vancouver fans who believe RL is tradeable are living in la-la land.

Ain't gonna happen.

If only it wasn't for that annoying, shrinking salary cap, you might have a case.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
I stand for common sense.

Even if Lou has 5 more good years, which for a 34 year old is generous, check out the buyout calculator at cap geek:

http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=683

What GM wh hopes to keep his job is going to trade for that?

No, my POV is entirely normal and sane.

Vancouver fans who believe RL is tradeable are living in la-la land.

Ain't gonna happen.

If only it wasn't for that annoying, shrinking salary cap, you might have a case.
1) Why would a team buy him out today? (and if they did why wouldn't it be compliance)

2) Whats more likely at age 39 (when his paycheck cuts in 1/2) a buyout or him retiring?

Your POV is subjective, and on the extreme. Your at one end, and the people demanding the sky are at the other end.

I will gladly have an avatar bet with you that Luongo will not be bought out if you do indeed feel so strongly.

Last edited by Ho Borvat: 06-12-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 06:56 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
So? The Wild may end up using an amnesty buyout on Heatley which would cost us nothing and why would we want Luongo for that long? We have Kuemper and Gustafsson in the system and eventually they need to be given a shot. It just makes no sense to take Luongo on for that long.
You won't have to use an amnesty buyout on Heatley. With 1 year left on a front loaded contract, someone will take him as a reclamation project.

Not to mention, you could always take a 3 mil contract with a 3 mil cap hit back and save yourself 4.5 mil in cap space. As long as the asking price is nothing and you're willing to take a contract back, moving Heatley will be no issue.

As a Flames fan, I'd definitely take a look at him for free or maybe a 1 for 1 swap for Stajan. Take back Stajan and his 3.4 mil cap hit and 2.5 actual salary...then you can choose to buy out Stajan for 1.5 mil or keep him.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
It also saves ownership 3.35 million dollars up front (the $ to compliance Heatley).

If your going to pay Luongos salary of 6.7 x 5 = 33.5, subtracting Heatleys buyout $'s you end up with 30.15 million/5 years.

In all fairness, thats the same amount of $ Backstrom was making/year.

Also: re Kuemper and Gustafsson... hockey prospectus has them ranked as your 14th and 15th best prospects.

Do you peg them to be starters within the next 5 years? Also, Luongo would be a good mentor for them if they do ever become NHL caliber players...

Old
06-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Stopping Pucks

vCash: 14000
Quote:
It also saves ownership 3.35 million dollars up front (the $ to compliance Heatley).

If your going to pay Luongos salary of 6.7 x 5 = 33.5, subtracting Heatleys buyout $'s you end up with 30.15 million/5 years.

In all fairness, thats the same amount of $ Backstrom was making/year.

Also: re Kuemper and Gustafsson... hockey prospectus has them ranked as your 14th and 15th best prospects.

Do you peg them to be starters within the next 5 years? Also, Luongo would be a good mentor for them if they do ever become NHL caliber players...
You've almost convinced me. And yes, Wild fans seems to overrate Kuemper and Gustafsson - although Kuemper proved this season he can play on the NHL level. Gustafsson hasn't even played in the NHL yet and people think he is gonna be a starting goalie. I try not to get too hyped or excited over things. People also thought MG was gonna be a 1C or 2C right away.

Stopping Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Maybe they are overrated. We don't know yet. Only way I'd even consider taking Luongo is a guarantee that he will still be a front line starter for the next five years. Since that can't happen, no thanks. Odds are we'd have to buyout Luongo at some point. So they'd be spending the money and taking the cap hit. With Heatley's buyout (if they do it) then it's just the money, no cap hit. I just don't see a benefit for the Wild in making a deal for Luongo.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDZx View Post
You've almost convinced me. And yes, Wild fans seems to overrate Kuemper and Gustafsson - although Kuemper proved this season he can play on the NHL level. Gustafsson hasn't even played in the NHL yet and people think he is gonna be a starting goalie. I try not to get too hyped or excited over things. People also thought MG was gonna be a 1C or 2C right away.
Its evident ownership isn't afraid to spend, so I don't see why salary would be a huge issue.

If anything the Wild would probably like his artificially low cap hit.

Your also getting 5 years where at his worst he would give you Backstrom level goaltending.
And you get someone who is a great mentor.

I honestly think the reason Schneider is as good as he is, is largely due to Luongo.
He could very easily be Dubnyk caliber..

Old
06-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Maybe they are overrated. We don't know yet. Only way I'd even consider taking Luongo is a guarantee that he will still be a front line starter for the next five years. Since that can't happen, no thanks. Odds are we'd have to buyout Luongo at some point. So they'd be spending the money and taking the cap hit. With Heatley's buyout (if they do it) then it's just the money, no cap hit. I just don't see a benefit for the Wild in making a deal for Luongo.
Technically you can't get that guarantee from any player/organization, let alone that the human race won't be extinct in 5 years.

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
I just don't see a benefit for the Wild in making a deal for Luongo.
Aside from getting the best possible goaltender available.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
1) Why would a team buy him out today? (and if they did why wouldn't it be compliance)

2) Whats more likely at age 39 (when his paycheck cuts in 1/2) a buyout or him retiring?

Your POV is objective, and on the extreme. Your at one end, and the people demanding the sky are at the other end.

I will gladly have an avatar bet with you that Luongo will not be bought out if you do indeed feel so strongly.
I said, "if he plays five more years."

This what a buyout looks like in 2018, for a 39 year old goalie:

2018-19 : 2.5 million
2019-20: 4.3 million
2020-21: 4.9 million
2021-22: 4.9 million
Then another 583,333 until 2026.

A buyout in less than 5 years would be even more atrocious.

You are ignoring the obvious; this contract won't move.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:

Why would a team buy Luongo out if he only plays 5 more years? Looking at how his contract is structured, and how after 5 more years his salary drops of dramatically, it's highly unlikely he even has plans on playing past 5 more years and is more likely to retire at that point. No buyout necessary.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:15 PM
tanker12471

its ok, but ninny wouldnt take lu

tanker12471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Why would a team buy Luongo out if he only plays 5 more years? Looking at how his contract is structured, and how after 5 more years his salary drops of dramatically, it's highly unlikely he even has plans on playing past 5 more years and is more likely to retire at that point. No buyout necessary.
What makes you think a guy is going to turn down millions when it is guaranteed until 2022?

I wouldn't do that.

Your assumption of retirement works well for people that aren't guaranteed money for the next 9 years. We aren't talking Roloson here.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:

Your ignoring my entire argument..

Old
06-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
What makes you think a guy is going to turn down millions when it is guaranteed until 2022?

I wouldn't do that.

Your assumption of retirement works well for people that aren't guaranteed money for the next 9 years. We aren't talking Roloson here.
Do you honestly think he is going to follow the team around for an 82 game season, to play 10 games a year when hes 43, maying 1/7th of what he used to.. When he could hang out on the beaches of Florida with his family?

Old
06-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:

I wouldn't do that.
You also don't have millions already in the bank. Luongo's final three years of his deal combine for a total of $3,618,000. Factor in taxes and it will be a fraction of that. You really think if he's not playing at a high level that he's going to put his family and personal life aside, while hindering the team he plays for with an inflated cap, in order to make a couple million? Not likely. There's a reason his contract was structured this way. Almost 90% of his total contract will have been paid out when the 2018 off-season rolls around, there's reason for that and it's why the NHL implemented the "Luongo rule".

Quote:
You don't think that perhaps this deal was structured with Luongo's desire to retire at a certain age in mind? You know, like right around the same time that the salary drops right off? Luongo has a young family that he hardly gets to see due to his career and his wife's desire to remain in Florida. If he doesn't get traded back to Florida, I think it's very likely that Luongo isn't going to continue playing for a mere pittance to what he's accustomed to, while also being a hindrance cap wise to his team, especially if his level of play is nowhere near his cap hit.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:

I wouldn't do that.

Will Suter/Parise be playing hockey at age 40 when they make 1 million a year?

Old
06-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Will Suter/Parise be playing hockey at age 40 when they make 1 million a year?
That's where the buyout come in.

Jesus Christ are you guys naive if you think someone will turn down easy money to be "the good guy."

GMs dug their own graves with nonsense contracts like these.

Nobody in their right mind say, "yeah, I'll just retire and give you fools a break on the contract YOU GAVE ME!"

At some point, they will all be bought out, and the GM that has to do it will curse their predecessor for the cap hit it will cost.

Luongo will still be a hugely expensive buyout, even when he is nearly 40. He won't just retire to satisfy the needs of armchair GMs on the internet. That is GUARANTEED money, and nobody walks away from that, in spite of how wealthy they are, unless he is a nephew of Mother Teresa.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:24 PM
radaich

Luongo sucks in the Xcel Energy Center so why would the wild want him

radaich is offline   Reply With Quote