HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 500
First skate with new steel and I must say, I am nothing short of amazed how much better it is. I have more bite when going forward, less when stopping, which allows for amazingly smooth transitions/pivots even at my skill level. Turning is much more effortless and the glide with a FBV cut is crazy. Forward pitch (albeit a light one) is giving my feet some trouble, but that's just a matter of short adjustment. All-in-all highly recommended to get your skates profiled to your specific needs.

Old
06-05-2013, 04:29 AM
God
Free Citizen

More what I didn't do: didn't go to drop in because had some work to do at home.

guess who's there

manny malhotra

sigh

Old
06-05-2013, 05:29 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

...will play inline-hockey! Just a poor plan B because there is no ice in June here but after nearly a month without hockey because of rain everyday me and the boys are pumped!

Old
06-05-2013, 09:27 AM
TheGreatOutlaw

What skates did you get?

Old
06-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Jisatsu

vCash: 430
Today I...

went to the morning drop in. I stayed up too late and wasn't looking forward to it, but had fun anyways. Looking forward to tomorrows game. It'll be the first time using the RSII in an actual 5v5 game. Really liking it for stickhandling, and my shots are pretty impressive with it.

Old
06-06-2013, 06:11 PM
stocky

....am going to play in my first ice hockey game. Its organized pick-up, but it should be fun. Im a little nervous, but you have to take the plunge sometime, right?

Old
06-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Frankie Spankie

Trying to see how I should truly feel about what I did at hockey earlier today, should probably get somebody else's opinion on the matter.

Let me set the stage, it's a beer league, we're all pretty competitive but for the most part, we're all aware it's just a game and to have fun. There aren't people looking to hurt others or get into fights. It happens but every time it's always laughed off after the game.

Now, to go to tonight... I was behind the net helping a teammate dig out a loose puck along the boards. He gets it out and an opposing player has his stick in between my teammates legs and goes straight up with the low blow. I see my teammate clearly hunch over in pain. Now I'm sure it was probably an accident, but when you screw up like that, you stop what you're doing, apologize, and make sure he's OK because after all, it's beer league, not pro hockey.

He did no such thing. I was trying to get to the puck while that happened and he turned and gave me a shove. I didn't mind the shove but I was pretty mad that he low blowed anybody, never mind a teammate, and just seemed to just play it off like nothing happened. I'm not looking to hurt people myself but I felt a message had to be sent so I slash his stick and it splits in half. He was obviously pissed and I felt pretty bad about it. I offered to buy him a new stick and he refused, he claimed it was $270 but I'm not so sure about that. Also said it was only a month and a half old. Made me feel real bad and he told me to just get it fixed for him so I took it. Everybody else in the league was making fun of him and we were talking about who should take it. I wanted to take it to at least get it fixed for him, just to try to make it right. In the end I left it and offered to at least pay for the stick repair which he said was $30 and he still didn't want that.

I did ask him if he knew why I did it and he thought it was for the shove, I laughed and told him it was nothing to do with that, it was for the low blow. He said he immediately regretted it happening and then that teammate of mine that he did it too came out to jokingly chirp him.

I'm not sure if I should feel bad for breaking his expensive, relatively, new stick or if I shouldn't because it was basically done for justice.

Old
06-07-2013, 02:14 AM
Recast

Send a message via MSN to Recast
Warrior AK blew up in my hands last game so, I went out and bought an Easton Stealth 75S.

Old
06-07-2013, 03:50 AM
stocky

Great night of hockey with the guys from puh2000. I was able to hang in pretty well and made a few good passes. I need to work a little more on my on-ice vision, skating, and puck retention. Still, had a blast!

Old
06-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Chip39

I am new to hockey but although I am a christian man I have always thought sports were more of an exemption of the turn the other cheek way of thinking and more of an eye for an eye type thing. If you get me with one I get you and we are done. I would have just shoved him back and it probably would have been done. Don't break the stick mang. A push is a push and its over. That pricetag....ouch

Old
06-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Jisatsu

vCash: 430
Played in my weekly rec game this morning. Didn't have the legs this morning. The other team was stacked, so we had to work our tails off just to get some offensive chances. Good overall workout and fun game, despite the lopsided teams.

Old
06-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
Great night of hockey with the guys from puh2000. I was able to hang in pretty well and made a few good passes. I need to work a little more on my on-ice vision, skating, and puck retention. Still, had a blast!
I keep hearing that name. Is it basically just a group for private pickups around San Diego or what?

Old
06-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Picked up the 5th pro stock stick of the year. No the others aren't broken, I am just developing a problem.

Latest is a Smith-Pelley 95 flex G3 (Custom soft/firm/soft flex profile) with a One95 blade. Couldn't have been happier to find that combo, and maybe could do with about a 90 flex. Still pleased with my first use of it. Repainted to look like a Total One with orange accents instead of gold.

Last edited by Clarkington III: 06-09-2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: G3 misinformation
Old
06-09-2013, 09:25 PM
stocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I keep hearing that name. Is it basically just a group for private pickups around San Diego or what?
Something like that. Its pretty much just a way to organize pickup a little more. You just register for the game beforehand online. They provide jerseys and socks, and put everyone on lines. No refs or faceoffs. 1.5 min shifts. I believe they play most of their games at Iceoplex in Escondido. I suggest you just shoot them an email from their website: puh2000.com. I emailed them asking a few questions on Thursday around noon. A guy by the name of Gil (I think he's the main organizer) called me back very quickly and I was able to play that night.

Old
06-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Trl3789

I bought an Easton RS 85 Iginla today for 40% off. My first time using an Easton (all Bauer before), and while i like it so far, there was a major learning curve. Passes were off, shots weren't even close to where i was trying to put them. Our game was tied 1-1 with about 5 minutes to go so i switched back to my X:60 and things were back to normal. I'm going to have to hit up S&P to try and get used to it.

Edit: And now that i think about it, i'm almost positive its the change in lie. My Bauers are all 6, and the Iginla is a 5.5. Anything i can do about this other than just try and get used to it? I did notice my tape wear on the Easton was more center to toe than heal to center with my Bauers

Last edited by Trl3789: 06-09-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 08:47 AM
TLow97

Probably played the best game I've been a part of so far.

Played a game last night. I had to get a sub goalie for the game. Let in 6.

Enter the 2nd down 6-1, started forechecking hard and scored 4 more goals. Tied it up in the 3rd, and got the winner with 32 seconds left! Was pretty thankful the sub goalie locked it down. I assisted on 3 goals. Probably the most fun I've had playing hockey.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:58 PM
gosinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
...will play inline-hockey! Just a poor plan B because there is no ice in June here but after nearly a month without hockey because of rain everyday me and the boys are pumped!
You are one of the lucky onces....our regular field in Linz was flooded, they said tomorrow they will start cleaning up :/

Old
06-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I bought an Easton RS 85 Iginla today for 40% off. My first time using an Easton (all Bauer before), and while i like it so far, there was a major learning curve. Passes were off, shots weren't even close to where i was trying to put them. Our game was tied 1-1 with about 5 minutes to go so i switched back to my X:60 and things were back to normal. I'm going to have to hit up S&P to try and get used to it.

Edit: And now that i think about it, i'm almost positive its the change in lie. My Bauers are all 6, and the Iginla is a 5.5. Anything i can do about this other than just try and get used to it? I did notice my tape wear on the Easton was more center to toe than heal to center with my Bauers
Different lie, different cut. For a lower lie, you'd need your stick to be taller (correct me if I'm wrong).

Old
06-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Different lie, different cut. For a lower lie, you'd need your stick to be taller (correct me if I'm wrong).
Thanks for the help. I'm going to get a plug and see if that helps. Just kind of frustrating the 2 inches of difference can make me look like i've never played before.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:41 AM
stocky

Played in my third game (organized pickup) today, I was put down as D for the 2nd line (out of two. never played D) but the first line right winger didnt show up on time so we switched positions for the first shift and it stayed that way the whole game. I had played second line the last two games and the difference in pace is very noticeable. I enjoyed the faster pace. Scored once off a good pass, and had an assist. That was the highlight other than that, I whiffed on a breakaway (trying to practice keeping my head up), and missed two loose pucks going into the offensive zone. Still, cant wait until next Tuesday!

Old
06-14-2013, 03:50 AM
TheRedShadow

I went to my local skate shop to look for new skates. The staff were useless and unknowledgeable and the ranges of skates mostly jumped from entry-level to high-end with nothing in between. This is next to one of the best rinks in the country too (Sheffield, UK). I came out with nothing, and barely a clue where I might find skates to really fit me

Old
06-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Pilky01

Not today, but last Friday I scored my first beauty goals at shinny. I am a reliable player, can make/take a pass, can skate well, and play my position, but I don't make a habit of deking through people.

Well, last week I got an absolute beauty. It was Kirk Maltby'an. I deked around the defender (the worst guy on the ice, and I knew that, which is why I even attempted to walk around a defender), and then pulled the puck across the crease, forehand to backhand, finishing it off with a nice backhand shovel up over the goalie, and even got to finish it off with a (totally legitimate) tumble. It got a good rise out of everybody there because it was an absolute beauty from a guy who doesn't usually do much more than cover the point and make a nice outlet pass.

I also had a beauty roof job. I just walked in along the goal line, in from the corner, and put it over the goalie's shoulder right into the roof of the net.

It had to be the new socks. I got some bright green, Minnesota North Stars'esque socks.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Thanks for the help. I'm going to get a plug and see if that helps. Just kind of frustrating the 2 inches of difference can make me look like i've never played before.
Make sure when you're in your normal stance, you can comfortably get the blade parallel to the ice surface.

Any time your blade isn't lined up with the ice, passes will go right under the openings.

Check out the attachment, your blade should look like the one in the middle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LIE.jpg‎ (37.9 KB, 4 views)

Old
06-14-2013, 01:16 PM
vinc90

Today I officially decided im going to switch to goalie from forward. ive played goalie before (just street/roller) and i want to give it a go on ice. Now my next step is to find a way to get all the equipment bc im on a pretty tight budget. i guess ebay and craigslist will be my best bet. hopefully it doesnt take to long to get all the equipment together.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Thesensation19*

Going to work on some gymnastic style work outs tonight after work.

Dips, pull ups, chin ups, muscle ups, hand stand push ups, push ups, body weight exercises. Going to work on body control with rolls, some calf raises. Ab work outs and rotational exercises. Devote at least 45 minutes of intensity to this.

Devote at least 30 minutes to static stretching.

And then throughout the night I will work on some hockey skills (stick handling and shooting) in my garage and hopefully just some physical mechanics. I have developed a a pain in my right foot and I think it is from my new job and poor workout habits. Its def muscle pain and not bone. So I will try to reconstruct over the next few days, maybe weeks, on how I walk, sit and work out. Focus on form and balance. Hopefully doing this I improve many things like lower back pain, the right foot pain and develop better form when I run and skate.

Closed Thread