HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jake Gardiner for 7th overall pick (EDM)

Old
06-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
But we can use the 12 game sample size in the regular season?
Or maybe we could use the 78 game sample size of last season. Which would you choose?
Yes, you should judge the whole body of work, this season, last season.
6 games out of 87 is cherry picking.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Developing more players? How about you develop Gardiner a little more so we can talk more about what he is, rather than what only Leaf fans seem to think he will be.

LOL, enough bs all the disbelieving trolls can just watch him next yr, you arent getting him. The only way to prove people wrong is by showing them, and you will be seeing it. The only period of poor professional play he has endured in the last 4 years was 2 weeks or so this year with post concussion symptoms affecting his play, he was one of the best players on the ice after the 1st few games in the playoffs. The guy is going to be a star, were not trading him, and you can just watch next year as he proves all the haters more wrong then they already are.

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:15 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
I'd ask for Smid instead as he fills the greater need, and be willing to offer up Reimer instead of Scrivens. ...i'll likely get chewed by other leafs fans, but, i'm a bit crazy anyways.
Smid and Marincin aren't even close to comparable in trade value. That would change the entire dynamic of the deal and swing it dramatically in the Leafs favour.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:19 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Smid and Marincin aren't even close to comparable in trade value. That would change the entire dynamic of the deal and swing it dramatically in the Leafs favour.
same way Reimer is much more valuable than Scrivens, hence the upgrade there.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:39 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
same way Reimer is much more valuable than Scrivens, hence the upgrade there.
The deal doesnt make sense for the Oilers if they are swapping a current top 4 D for a probable top 4 D along with dropping from 7 to 21.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
LOL, enough bs all the disbelieving trolls can just watch him next yr, you arent getting him. The only way to prove people wrong is by showing them, and you will be seeing it. The only period of poor professional play he has endured in the last 4 years was 2 weeks or so this year with post concussion symptoms affecting his play, he was one of the best players on the ice after the 1st few games in the playoffs. The guy is going to be a star, were not trading him, and you can just watch next year as he proves all the haters more wrong then they already are.
Cool. I could not care less, honestly. How often do you see an Oiler fan making a proposal involving him? Go to our trade board, he's never mentioned. Nobody cares. If he's so ****ing good, keep him, buy his jersey an stop making 84 proposals every day with him involved. You can take posts like these and change the name Gardiner to Schenn and go back in time four years and you'll see matching posts. Some things never change.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:08 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I don`t know if you`re just faking ignorance or have no idea what you`re talking about. Are you just gonna claim that you don`t know any better and that you only see black or white or do you actually know how Gardiner plays because all this post is telling me is that you only read headlines and news articles (about Gardiner being in the AHL etc.) and you have no idea how Gardiner plays.

If you did you wouldn`t use this as an argument and you would realize that Gardiner should have been playing with evidence pointing to the playoff series.
I do know how Gardiner plays and his NHL regular season was pretty brutal (when we was playing) Do you disagree? Or should we dig up some HFleaf material to show even leaf fans werent impressed.

And yes, his first season was good. But wasnt mind blowing. I fail to see any evidence he will be more than a second pairing guy. And if thats an insult to you, then maybe youll have to be less attached to players. Because being a top pairing guy is pretty hard

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:26 PM
david999

People are out of their minds if they believe the Leafs are going to trade Gardiner for any of the deals Oiler fans have posted here. He potentially will be Toronto's best defenceman this coming season. The Oil are dying for defensive players, and everybody knows it. Good players won't come cheap for them.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I do know how Gardiner plays and his NHL regular season was pretty brutal (when we was playing) Do you disagree? Or should we dig up some HFleaf material to show even leaf fans werent impressed.

And yes, his first season was good. But wasnt mind blowing. I fail to see any evidence he will be more than a second pairing guy. And if thats an insult to you, then maybe youll have to be less attached to players. Because being a top pairing guy is pretty hard
What insults me is how people who have seen Jake Gardiner and know about the circumstances he was in (concussion, on a short lease with Carlyle, contract/waivers, #FreeJakeGardiner etc.) act [for lack of a better word] thickheaded and reply with, "if he was good, he would be in the NHL".

If you didn't know about the whole situation then I'd understand where you`re coming from, but the fact that you do know and you're still forming these blockhead type arguments is what's insulting. You're trying to act like an uninformed outsider, when you clearly aren't.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Yes, you should judge the whole body of work, this season, last season.
6 games out of 87 is cherry picking.
True, but in hockey, the last 6 games hold a bit more value than the others because they are the latest. With hockey, there has always been a "what have you done for me lately" mindset. The Eberle of this year is perceived differently from the Eberle of last year and the same thing goes for Reimer.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:12 PM
rockinghockey

Gardinier's name came up when Eakins was named coach. They were saying that TO would have to add. That is all that I am going to say. These are not fans like us but hockey people.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Cool. I could not care less, honestly. How often do you see an Oiler fan making a proposal involving him? Go to our trade board, he's never mentioned. Nobody cares. If he's so ****ing good, keep him, buy his jersey an stop making 84 proposals every day with him involved. You can take posts like these and change the name Gardiner to Schenn and go back in time four years and you'll see matching posts. Some things never change.
Um theres been 3 edm gardiner threads in the past 2 days actually. I dont make proposals, I knock them down, and we arent moving gardiner, and we are pleased to keep him.

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:54 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
So we trade Gardiner for the 7th pick in the draft hoping that we can pick up somebody with as much potential as.....Gardiner. Um, no, no, no. To repeat, no, no, no.
This. This. This.

Deep draft or not, how often do players picked at #7 turn into superstars? Because that is what the Leafs would need to make this proposal work. Value-wise, is a 60-70 point player worth that much more than the #2-3 defenseman that Gardiner projects as? Gardiner is in the NHL, today, playing at a relatively high level. The Leafs waited four years for Kadri, another #7 pick to play in the league, surely they'll have to wait at least one or two before whomever is available at #7 even steps on the ice, let alone makes a big contribution. If the goal is to acquire a centre, other teams are reportedly shopping young centres already playing in the league (ex. Flyers).

htpwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Inverted

Trading Gardiner for 7th overall will put the Leafs back a couple years as the player picked 7th will not make it for at least 2 years (if he does at all). If a package of Gardiner+ is going to be moved for a pick it will be for a guy that is a can't miss which again is unlikely and Toronto is better off keeping him.

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:11 PM
crazyaces**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Oilers woiuld not trade Smid to get Gardiner lol PLus the 7th and we take 21 and we move the better goalie to funny

Smid > Gardiner
7TH> 21st
Dubnyk> Scrivens yea im sure you would like that.
Hey I can do this too!

Gardiner > 7th

21st > Smid

Dubnyk >= Scrivens

crazyaces** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:40 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaces View Post
Hey I can do this too!

Gardiner > 7th

21st > Smid

Dubnyk >= Scrivens
Your doing it wrong....

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:51 PM
BackhandToeyJoey

Quote:
Hey I can do this too!

Gardiner > 7th

21st > Smid

Dubnyk >= Scrivens
21st > Smid > Gardiner > 7th.

lol. K.

BackhandToeyJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Sure he could end up better than Gardiner. It's a longshot though.
People really overrate picks on here. Take a look at the last 10 years 7th overall pick and then compare it to Gardiner. There is no way you are getting a player like Gardiner for the 7th pick. Absolutely zero chance.
I am a Leaf fan but sorry man, the 7th overall pick is usually a pretty good player, let's look at the last few seventh overall picks.

2012- Mathew Dumba
2011- Mark Scheifele
2010- Jeff Skinner
2009- Nazem Kadri
2008- Colin Wilson
2007- Jakub Voracek
2006- Kyle Okposo
2005- Jack Skille
2004- Rostislav Olesz
2003- Ryan Suter
2002- Joffrey Lupul

Out of the whole group, there are only 2 busts in Skille and Olesz. If u draft 7th overall, you may have to wait some years, but you will most likely get a great player.

Leafsforlife98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Larry Hoover

I think value wise it's a very fair trade for both team but the Leafs say no. Gardiner is a special player and should only be traded for an upgrade or equally talented player

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Larry Hoover

Quote:
The deal doesnt make sense for the Oilers if they are swapping a current top 4 D for a probable top 4 D along with dropping from 7 to 21.
Right now Smid is a better player than Gardiner. The thing is Gardiner has a very rare skill set and one that has the potential to make him an elite player. Smid can be easily replaced, perhaps not by a D of his calibre but by a weaker D and you wouldn't notice a significant down grade.

Gardiner on the other hand is nearly impossible to replace. It's the same thing when you look at a player like Ryder who may score 30 goals. Is Ryder a better player than Lars Eller? Maybe he is right now but you can't just replace Eller the same way you can just slot a player like MacArthur in for Ryder. Maybe it's not the best comparison but I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying.

TL;DR: Gardiner is a dynamic talent and is difficult to replace which makes his value significantly higher than less dynamic but slightly better players.

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
1. Edmonton just hired Dallas Eakins (developed Gardiner)
2. Edmonton has Justin Schultz (Gardiner's college teammate)
3. Edmonton is looking for a top pairing young defenceman

Gardiner was tremendous in the playoffs and has shown that he can be a top pairing defenceman. He is still only 22 years old and would fit in perfectly with the young core of the Edmonton Oilers. Now that Eakins is in Edmonton and the Maple Leafs are in a situation where they can/should make a big move to add a top notch young centre, this seems to be one of those situations that could potentially be a good fit.
Your own fanbase told you it was a stupid idea. And Edmonton will tell you the same. Stop coming up with ideas...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Diatomic
Naazzeemm Kaaddrriii

NO thanks, go pry out Michael Del Zotto were keeping Gard Gards.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Leafs Win The Cup

Gardiner is criminally underrated here...He's worth a top 5 pick no questions asked. I'd only trade him for a top 3 pick to be honest

Leafs Win The Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:36 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
Your doing it wrong....
Quote:
Hey I can do this too!

Gardiner > 7th

21st > Smid

Dubnyk >= Scrivens
Dam rights he is Smid> 21

Last edited by Oiltankjob Fail: 06-13-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:52 AM
sd1976

Quote:
Except its a current top 4 D for a projected top 2 D who easily plays in the top 4 now. You see the difference? Gardiner's projected floor is still above Smid's ceiling.

sd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote