HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 09:24 PM
phillytennis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post

Oh Sorry that was mean't for Grant, who ya know has a boat load of experience as a scout, and would know talent when he sees it.

I'll take his "overrated" opinion any day of the week, people don't understand how fortunate we are to have someone of Grant's caliber to post here voluntarily.

+1 to Grant in my books
So much for free thinkers on this board. Il y a des gens qui ne savent pas penser pour eux mÍmes.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:27 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
So much for free thinkers on this board. Il y a des gens qui ne savent pas penser pour eux mÍmes.
Glad you see the error of your ways

Old
06-12-2013, 09:29 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
Glad you see the error of you're ways
No error here Yarfangor...you might feel you made a mistake...I forgive you!!!LOL

Old
06-12-2013, 09:31 PM
yianik

Glad you boys made up, now lets move along .

Old
06-12-2013, 09:34 PM
phillytennis

Question for board members?

At pick number 25...would you take the 5'9" Petan or the 5'9" Domi?

Old
06-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Playoff Beard

It doesn't really feel like I'm going to be able to make up my mind about who I want the habs to pick at the draft. This draft is so polarizing, I'm always changing my opinion on some players depending whose opinion I take into consideration. Some of you guys seem to really like IAN MCCOSHEN while some scouting people like FC put him as low as 84, same goes for Morin, McCarron, and so on.

And then there's Mantha, Rychel, Gauthier who I can't get definite opinion on.

It seems nearly impossible to predict this years draft and I guess thats what makes it so interesting.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Playoff Beard

Quote:

domi, no question.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:

Domi. Not even close for me. And that's not because I'm disrespecting Petan, it's because at 25...it would be a freakin steal to get Domi. For me, Petan could/should get the Schwartz treatment...beginning of 2nd rounder.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:39 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Really surprised no one has mentioned Burakovsky, well he has been mentioned but sparingly it seems. He really makes me think of a high boom or bust pick that TT loves to make.

I'd really love if we could land him.

Old
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoff Beard View Post
domi, no question.
Agreed...both guys have great offensive talent...Domi ways 20 pounds more...and could dish out some good hits.

Old
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Really surprised no one has mentioned Burakovsky, well he has been mentioned but sparingly it seems. He really makes me think of a high boom or bust pick that TT loves to make.

Somehow, I prefer Buchnevich than Burakovsky in the boom or bust category.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Funny Grant said he had incredible potential
He said it repeatedly and even asserted it in his 1st round rankings updated on June 3rd:

Quote:
Here is my top 30 as of today.....

1. Seth Jones
Nathan MacKinnon
Jonathan Drouin
Sasha Barkov
Elias Lindholm
Valery Nichushkin
Sean Monahan
Darnell Nurse
Max Domi
Bo Horvat

Alexander Wennberg
Curtis Lazar
Mirco Mueller
Samuel Morin
Nikita Zadorov
Rasmus Ristolainen
Ryan Pulock
Joshua Morrissey
Michael McCarron
Frederik Gauthier

Hunter Shinkaruk
Ryan Hartman
Ian McCoshen
Adam Erne
Kerby Rychel
Anthony Mantha
Zachary Fucale
Andre Burakowsky
Robert Hagg
Tommy Vanelli
Not to mention several more posts supporting McCarron:

Quote:
He is the player I want the Habs to take at 25 if he's there. I see his upside as a second line 6-5 winger who can score 20-25 goals and 40-50 points and chip in 100-150 PIM's. Not many of them in the NHL folks.
Quote:
Bickell was very good offensively in junior? Not at McCarron's age....he wasn't half the prospect McCarron is at the same age. I saw Bickell lots..he was a dog at 17.

(...)McCarron played against predominantly 19-21-year-olds and dominated them physically...you have to like his odds of being able to do that at any level when he's fully grown.

Is he the most skilled player in the draft? Of course not. How many 6-5 230 pound forwards are? But to say his skills are poor is simply wrong...skate and handles the puck well for a 6-5 guy..has some passing skills and a heavy wrist shot.
Quote:
No disrespect, but you are skeptical about his upside based on.... looking at stats and seeing him play on TV once? Been told since January by a few scouts that he's a first rounder..I've thought so since seeing him in the fall actually.

I see long term upside without question..he is huge, can skate, has a good shot, has decent sense. Much like Gauthier, he is only going to get better as he grows into his body. Also been told that he's "tough as nails."

Not many people thought Lucic had ANY offensive upside in his draft year. McCarron can't fight like Lucic..but he can sure as hell skate better

Old
06-12-2013, 09:48 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Somehow, I prefer Buchnevich than Burakovsky in the boom or bust category.
I would take Buchnevich in the 2nd round, Burakovsky imo is a sure fire 1st rounder. I really like what I've heard about him

Old
06-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
I would take Buchnevich in the 2nd round, Burakovsky imo is a sure fire 1st rounder. I really like what I've heard about him
Reason why I said that I prefer Buchnevich in the "boom or bust" project...

Somehow though, I love to think that Buchnevich might have the greater ceiling.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:

He's actually been talked about a decent amount. WTK and hogtownhabsfan have been driving the Burakowsky bandwagon.

My only concern is I'm just not convinced he's a good thinker of the game despite all his god given talent.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Runner77

Sobering thoughts on Hudson Fasching, who I had thought might have been a nice, late PF:

Quote:
Conversely, every year there are players who go into their draft year highly touted and expected to succeed yet stagnate, stumble, or simply drop off of the map. It was hard not to find a player that disappointed me more than Hudson Fasching this year.

(...)

Fasching, for all of his size and ability, was nondescript. No fire, no passion, no zest, no zeal in front of friends, family, future coaches, teammates and fans. Can it be any more disappointing? There was no edge there, an absence I saw repeatedly in following viewings.To be fair, he did struggle some with injuries but never took the step from complementary player to one of the guys driving the bus.

He’s got the size and there is skill there, but despite the willingness to hit, he sidesteps a lot of incoming checks. He’s got the tools to dominate — he reminds me of Charlie Coyle in his EJHL days — but the desire to win and the inherent competitiveness just wasn’t there consistently. Now, this isn’t a referendum on the kid as a person. He’s got tremendous character and his back story is heart breaking, but on-ice Fasching simply did not bring it when he should have.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-s...upper-midwest/

Old
06-12-2013, 09:59 PM
phillytennis

Quote:

Erne....or....Hartman...or...Rychel...or...Mantha at pick number 25?

Old
06-12-2013, 10:02 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He's actually been talked about a decent amount. WTK and hogtownhabsfan have been driving the Burakowsky bandwagon.

My only concern is I'm just not convinced he's a good thinker of the game despite all his god given talent.
I've spoken to a few people in the "know" and I have heard the same concern, but there are also a few who believe its there he just has to work on using his team mates better.

I still like his upside, and his ceiling.

As for Buchnevich I agree, he has a high ceiling, maybe the highest of the Russians aside from Nichushkin, but the russian factor will certainly make him a faller. I'd love to pick him up in the late 2nd.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Playoff Beard

Quote:
I for one would be ok with any of them. I might have a little preference for erne and rychel, but I'd say it's close. Reading this thread did not manage to put me completely down on Mantha, yet...

Old
06-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoff Beard View Post
I for one would be ok with any of them. I might have a little preference for erne and rychel, but I'd say it's close. Reading this thread did not manage to put me completely down on Mantha, yet...
Don't be down on Mantha....He has enough upside to make you believe he'll go through his "problems" and work it out.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:08 PM
yianik

Quote:
Look at De La Rose also.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Sobering thoughts on Hudson Fasching, who I had thought might have been a nice, late PF:

http://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-s...upper-midwest/
You still have to take a chance on a guy like that if he's available in the 6th or if the Habs can deal for a 5th. Nick Ebert went from a potential top 10 pick to Mr. Irrelevant inside a 15 month span, that's not a bad gamble to take. To a lesser extent, Saad, who was accused of the same things you're reading about Fasching, went from top 10 to mid 2nd round. Maybe Saad's draft season wasn't as bad as Fasching's but he still fell because of inconsistency and lack of drive in his game.

If he's there at the right spot, Fasching is not a terrible option.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

For whoever doesn't like Mantha for our pick at 25....and let say you are amongst his "haters".....is he a total ND for you? Where would you take him?

Old
06-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Dagistitsyn

Sounds like Mantha is this years Grigorenko. Some people love him, a lot of people hate him.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:19 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Having only watched McCarron in the u18 final, I'm having trouble making up my mind about his skating. Sometimes it looked fine, but other times he seemed behind the rest with his first couple of steps. I found it hard to judge the footwork of a player so much bigger than everyone else on the ice. Looking through reports, I see some differing opinions on this. Do y'all have any thoughts on his skating?

Overall, his game reminded me of Penner. Not sure if he'll have Penner's hands at the next level... on the other hand, maybe he'll play angry more consistently than Penner. Anyway, just the impression I got after the one game.
From what I have seen of him, he appears to move very well in a short area for his size.

But in terms of his ability to skate on the rush, I think he's similar to Latendresse, which is not a compliment (and I always like Lats). All in all, I think he is quite comparable to Latendresse. Latendresse never really put it together though, and McCarron still has a chance to.

Closed Thread