HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Streit signs with PHI (4 years, $5.25M per)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2013, 09:51 PM
  #51
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Yeah absolutely! Now here's someone that knows their hockey. I don't know enough about McLeod, if he is a good enough skater, can he play the role Thornton plays in Boston?

McArthur is another one, but he may be costly, but unlike Burmistrov this guy plays with heart and can kill penalties, play center, or wing. I strongly believe the Rangers will employ an up tempo game next year.
McLeod can play the Thornton role and on top of that he can PK. He had 8 goals in this shortened season. Now, I should say, that is not to be expected. He is probably more a 5-8 goal guy with 150 PIM's and who can PK. Good grinder and good skater for his role. Would be an upgrade on Asham for sure.

I would love to replace Pyatt with Nystrom. Speed, great PKer, can play center, will drop the gloves if called upon, very effective forechecker with his speed.

MacArthur is an option. I like Raymond for the same reasons as above except Raymond is another super speedy guy. Would look good with Kreider and Hagelin on the left side.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 09:52 PM
  #52
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
Who do you think signs Bryz? And thanks for the answer about the amnesty buyout.
Phoenix. Or NYI.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 09:53 PM
  #53
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Disagree. I think you discredit his skill. I think he has a top-6 skillset, especially when you throw in his size and good speed package.

Guy's got solid hands and can rip the puck. He's strong on the boards. Good forechecker. He's a great complimentary player, he works very well with Toews/Kane, helps give them some more room on the ice.

His problem has always been lack of constant motion. He coasts at times. This year, he wasn't coasting, and he was an extremely effective player. Sometimes players just figure it out later in their careers, especially larger players.
I do t buy it. He isn't a great skater. He doesn't have great hands and he was on pace for ~40 points while playing with superstar players.

If he gets 4 years @3.5 million which I think is below what he will get, would you sign him?

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 09:53 PM
  #54
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Phoenix. Or NYI.
Calgary may be interested

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 09:54 PM
  #55
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
We are on the same page, but those players just aren't available in the UFA market this year. Bickell, Clarkson, Clowe, Horton. In a normal year they would be a solid 2nd to 3rd tier. This year they are the cream of the crop.

They will all get 4+ years and get paid too much. Some team will fall in love with their size and some okay stats.

Clarkson is an average 3rd liner at even strength. Good PP player who stood in front of Kovalchuks shots for a couple of years.

Bickell has no pressure on him whatsoever. Teams gameplay to stop Kane, Toews, Sharp and Hossa. He is an afterthought of an afterthought on that team. Anyone hoping for him to help carry a teams offense, which they will have to with the contract he will get, is going to be in trouble.

Clowe has injury concerns.

Horton has injury concerns.

I prefer a Nystrom and a Raymond on shorter length deals and a possible trade for a McLeod. Can't overpay for under performers with this new cap.

Stress has to be put on skating in order for this team to be effective. Bottom 6 players have to be multi faceted. PK, face offs, PP, very effective forechecker, glove dropper.
Listen, I love the big guys...I will never deny that and as I watch these 2 teams go to war with each other I will never change my beliefs...however, I am not looking for one dimensional players...to me, Powe is one dimensional and needs to go...if you can upgrade from Pyatt, you do it...although, I think he was one of our better forwards in the playoffs.

I like Dorsett because he can play and cares so much. I want another one of him...just bigger, I would love a Thornton type and when he was let go by Ducks, I said I wanted him and everyone called me a goon lover. I want a Lucic type. I would also love a Kane or Toews type...I know you need balance. I didn't want Richards but I know why we took a chance on him but I knew he was the wrong guy.

Our bottom six and at least 2 dmen need to have size and snarl.

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 09:56 PM
  #56
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I do t buy it. He isn't a great skater. He doesn't have great hands and he was on pace for ~40 points while playing with superstar players.

If he gets 4 years @3.5 million which I think is below what he will get, would you sign him?
He's a very good skater for someone who's 6'5. He has good hands, not great, but they're better than the average player's.

He was with Stalberg and Shaw most of the season. He was moved up in the playoffs when Saad struggled.

I don't want Bickell, I just think you're far too harsh wrt his future in the league. I think he's a 45-55 point player who can forecheck with the best of him in the right situation.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 09:56 PM
  #57
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline
 
KreidertheGlider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
McLeod can play the Thornton role and on top of that he can PK. He had 8 goals in this shortened season. Now, I should say, that is not to be expected. He is probably more a 5-8 goal guy with 150 PIM's and who can PK. Good grinder and good skater for his role. Would be an upgrade on Asham for sure.

I would love to replace Pyatt with Nystrom. Speed, great PKer, can play center, will drop the gloves if called upon, very effective forechecker with his speed.

MacArthur is an option. I like Raymond for the same reasons as above except Raymond is another super speedy guy. Would look good with Kreider and Hagelin on the left side.
I like MacArthur and I think we could get him for cheap.

Nystrom would be a great signing IMO. Great PKer. We need less idle, 1 dimensional 4th liners.

I like McLeod depending on the price. He can drop the gloves to stand up for his mates.

KreidertheGlider is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 09:56 PM
  #58
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I don't see how they can without trading a first or second next year.

Other than that, to do this the only trade options would be

Staal-His value is at an all-time low though.

Boyle-MIGHT get you a late 2nd rounder at most.

Del Z-A second rounder and MAYBE a late first rounder at most.

No one else is getting traded will get you anything that high.
Boyle was acquired for a third as a reclamation project. He could get a high 2nd rounder or 2nd+3rd.

Del Zotto can get you an earlyish first round pick. He was a mid first rounder and he has made the NHL and done very well for a young defenseman. A late first rounder probably won't even be a scrub in the NHL.

iamitter is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 09:57 PM
  #59
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
Can they use their amnesty on Pronger? That would give them quite a bit of cap space
I don't think you can amnesty buyout injured plays. On the other hand, Pronged is on LTIR I believe, so his contract doesn't count against the cap anyway.

__________________
Jabroni is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 09:57 PM
  #60
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Listen, I love the big guys...I will never deny that and as I watch these 2 teams go to war with each other I will never change my beliefs...however, I am not looking for one dimensional players...to me, Powe is one dimensional and needs to go...if you can upgrade from Pyatt, you do it...although, I think he was one of our better forwards in the playoffs.

I like Dorsett because he can play and cares so much. I want another one of him...just bigger, I would love a Thornton type and when he was let go by Ducks, I said I wanted him and everyone called me a goon lover. I want a Lucic type. I would also love a Kane or Toews type...I know you need balance. I didn't want Richards but I know why we took a chance on him but I knew he was the wrong guy.

Our bottom six and at least 2 dmen need to have size and snarl.
I loved Dorsett in Columbus so you are preaching to the choir here.

I agree with Pyatt and Powe. Go get Nystrom who is feisty and a Cambell like player and McLeod to be this teams Thornton and I think they are in good shape. Dorsett on the 3rd line.

McIlrath will help soon. I would love a Matt Greene but they are just so hard to find. I think a new system and hopefully a healthy Staal and less minutes for Girardi and McDongh allows the defense as a whole to be more aggressive. They all skate well enough to step up.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:00 PM
  #61
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
He's a very good skater for someone who's 6'5. He has good hands, not great, but they're better than the average player's.

He was with Stalberg and Shaw most of the season. He was moved up in the playoffs when Saad struggled.

I don't want Bickell, I just think you're far too harsh wrt his future in the league. I think he's a 45-55 point player who can forecheck with the best of him in the right situation.
Bickell is not a better skater than Boyle who people complain about.

He has never come close to 45 or 55 points in his career.

Look, it's possible he breaks out, but there will be teams paying him like he has already scored 55. Not a good route to take with a UFA. Don't expect them to get better with a move. It normally works the other way around.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:01 PM
  #62
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline
 
KreidertheGlider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I loved Dorsett in Columbus so you are preaching to the choir here.

I agree with Pyatt and Powe. Go get Nystrom who is feisty and a Cambell like player and McLeod to be this teams Thornton and I think they are in good shape. Dorsett on the 3rd line.

McIlrath will help soon. I would love a Matt Greene but they are just so hard to find. I think a new system and hopefully a healthy Staal and less minutes for Girardi and McDongh allows the defense as a whole to be more aggressive. They all skate well enough to step up.
I like that we are trying to improve but I don't think we can out-Bruin the Bruins.

We need to be better than them at 1 facet whether that's speed toughness finesse what ever. But we can't try to mimic them.

The original is always better

KreidertheGlider is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:02 PM
  #63
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
I like MacArthur and I think we could get him for cheap.

Nystrom would be a great signing IMO. Great PKer. We need less idle, 1 dimensional 4th liners.

I like McLeod depending on the price. He can drop the gloves to stand up for his mates.
Yep, 100% agree.

4th line should be McLeod, Nystrom, Boyle.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:02 PM
  #64
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Bickell is not a better skater than Boyle who people complain about.

He has never come close to 45 or 55 points in his career.

Look, it's possible he breaks out, but there will be teams paying him like he has already scored 55. Not a good route to take with a UFA. Don't expect them to get better with a move. It normally works the other way around.
Agree to disagree.

That being said, how about a bet?

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:03 PM
  #65
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Boyle was acquired for a third as a reclamation project. He could get a high 2nd rounder or 2nd+3rd.

Del Zotto can get you an earlyish first round pick. He was a mid first rounder and he has made the NHL and done very well for a young defenseman. A late first rounder probably won't even be a scrub in the NHL.
I think Boyle would easily return a late 1st from a contender for a full season.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:04 PM
  #66
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline
 
KreidertheGlider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I loved Dorsett in Columbus so you are preaching to the choir here.

I agree with Pyatt and Powe. Go get Nystrom who is feisty and a Cambell like player and McLeod to be this teams Thornton and I think they are in good shape. Dorsett on the 3rd line.

McIlrath will help soon. I would love a Matt Greene but they are just so hard to find. I think a new system and hopefully a healthy Staal and less minutes for Girardi and McDongh allows the defense as a whole to be more aggressive. They all skate well enough to step up.
Our defense is one thing that needs to be utilized a lot more in the future. They can all join the rush most break up the 2v1s fairly easily, let them take some more chances

KreidertheGlider is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:04 PM
  #67
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
I like that we are trying to improve but I don't think we can out-Bruin the Bruins.

We need to be better than them at 1 facet whether that's speed toughness finesse what ever. But we can't try to mimic them.

The original is always better
I think the Rangers defense will be much better in the coming years.

I'm not advocating trying to out tough the Bruins, although they will start to lose that this offseason with the loss of Horton and Ference, but they need to be tough to play against and be able to handle that side of the game.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:05 PM
  #68
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Agree to disagree.

That being said, how about a bet?
What's the bet? If Bickell signs elsewhere, he will not score 55?

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:07 PM
  #69
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline
 
KreidertheGlider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Yep, 100% agree.

4th line should be McLeod, Nystrom, Boyle.
That 4th line could compete with the best. Not the most offensive, but can hold their own defensively and draw penalties.

I hope we run more than 9 forwards next year

KreidertheGlider is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:08 PM
  #70
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
What's the bet? If Bickell signs elsewhere, he will not score 55?
Trying to think about how to quantify it.

If Bickell scores 45 points or more on a team that isn't Chicago next season, you sport a username for the entirety of the offseason. Ditto for me if I'm wrong.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:09 PM
  #71
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
That 4th line could compete with the best. Not the most offensive, but can hold their own defensively and draw penalties.

I hope we run more than 9 forwards next year
Surprisingly, that 4th line would be capable of 10 goals a piece over a full season pretty easily.

All PK. All can drop the gloves, some more than others. All can sub in the top 9 if need be.

Boyle and Nysteom play 2 positions. RW/C and LW/C respectively.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:11 PM
  #72
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline
 
KreidertheGlider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I think the Rangers defense will be much better in the coming years.

I'm not advocating trying to out tough the Bruins, although they will start to lose that this offseason with the loss of Horton and Ference, but they need to be tough to play against and be able to handle that side of the game.
I think their defense will be a lot better in the future. I have been so impressed with Krug and Hamilton.

Well still be better defensively but they'll be close.

I didn't realize Ference was a UFA. He will be overpaid too.

KreidertheGlider is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:12 PM
  #73
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline
 
KreidertheGlider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Surprisingly, that 4th line would be capable of 10 goals a piece over a full season pretty easily.

All PK. All can drop the gloves, some more than others. All can sub in the top 9 if need be.

Boyle and Nysteom play 2 positions. RW/C and LW/C respectively.
I think McLeod has played center too. I didn't realize he PKed though... Now I really want him

KreidertheGlider is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:13 PM
  #74
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Yep, 100% agree.

4th line should be McLeod, Nystrom, Boyle.
Trade Asham and Pyatt. Haley used as a spare forward. Dorsett, McLeod, Nystrom rotate on the 4th line.

Trade Del Zotto for a young center (Schenn, Couturier, Burmistrov) or young left winger (Paajarvi, Eberle).

Buyout Richards.

Sign McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin.

Sign a veteran defenseman, unless we get back a defenseman in the Del Zotto deal (Paajarvi, Petry-RHD).

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
06-12-2013, 10:16 PM
  #75
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,920
vCash: 500
McIlrath is our Matt Greene mixed in with a career 90 plus winning percentage in career fights. I think once Dylan piles up 100 AHL games, he should be ready to play. Remember he is still growing, and maturing physically, and having him Dorsett, and a McLeod type takes care of business just fine.

Powe can PK and play a checking role and I don't mind him in a 4th line role as he is pretty consistent, while Pyatt and Asham are even more one dimensional as they don't fill roles.

If Pyatt can play the way he did in the playoffs, why didn't he do that for 40+ games? Effort and consistency, and no special teams contributions = goner.

Asham did not step up do his job, and I move him as it's an addition by subtraction.

I'm eager to see what happens with Clowe, but I get the feeling the Rangers will not commit to multi-year terms on Clowe. But a guy like Clarke MacArthur is not a 3M+ player as he had one fluke year on a bad team, and cashed in due to set precedents.

It should be a really interesting off season, especially with trades.

Mikos87 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.