Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Predict the flames first trade this offseason

Old
06-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
If Heatley gets bought out and wants to come to Calgary on a cheap one or two year deal? Fine. I can live with that. But otherwise big ol meh short of some nice assets coming in return. It's going to be interesting to see if he can actually be bought out or not. Minnesota needs him gone from a cap perspective. To my understanding they also need to get rid of Clutterbuck potentially.

I've still got a lot of resentment as a Sens fan for the **** he pulled.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:29 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Heatley never played with Parise and Koivu, from my understanding he was relegated to 2nd and 3rd line duties this season.

But in 2011-12 he had 24 goals and 53 points on the lowest scoring team in the NHL. And in his 2 years in San Jose he had 65 goals & 146 points in 162 games.

Not nearly as bad as you make him out to be.
That's incorrect. He started the year there and was dropped from the top line part way through the year.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:13 AM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
That's incorrect. He started the year there and was dropped from the top line part way through the year.
As someone who drafted him in my pool in a late late round and kept a super close eye on him as a result I can confirm this.

He also did a huge nose dive once he was moved off that line.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Flamesarmstrong22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
Just my initial impression, but Filpula just seems like a Backlund clone. We're desperate for a number 1 centre, but any centres who aren't that I think we can produce from our roster already. Backlund and Stajan; Cammy if we need him to play centre...

It's true that we'd like to upgrade centre, but Filpula seems to be more of a lateral shift than an upgrade. On the other hand, given a few years, our first round picks could provide the upgrade we need.

Also, I think that Detroit would view the trade of 18 + 48 for our two late firsts as a fair deal, and probably wouldn't want to lose anything else in the deal.
Adding Filpula's rights or possibly and 2014 3rd isn't much to add, especially considering they are jumping 20 spots for 48 to 28!
Also I disagree signing Filpula would be a lateral move, I think he is better than both backlund and stajan. I could see someone like Filpula playing 1C but playing pretty much the same amount of time as the 2nd line so backlund gets good minutes too.

Tanguay,Filpula,Hudler
Baertchi,Backlund,Cammalerri
Glencross,stajan,Stempniak
Bouma,Reinhart, Mcgratten

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:26 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

I would rather have Reinhart playing in the AHL getting top line minutes than having him on the 4th line for the Flames. As of now, I'd rather have Jones on the 4th line.

Filppula would be a good player to sign for a stepping stone for our prospects, as Backlund and Monahan/Lindholm will not be ready to play 1st line minutes. I wouldn't mind signing him for 2/3 years worth 4 million per or so. Also, there are rumors going around that Filppula will test the free agency market.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross: 06-12-2013 at 09:39 AM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:35 AM
RaginStajan
Bert Macklin, FBI

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
I would rather have Reinhart playing in the AHL getting top line minutes than having him on the 4th line for the Flames. As of now, I'd rather have Jones on the 4th line.

Filppula would be a good player to sign for a stepping stone for our prospects, as Backlund and Monahan/Lindholm will not be ready to play 1st line minutes. I wouldn't mind signing him for 2/3 years worth 4 million or so. Also, there are rumors going around that Filppula will test the free agency market.
I agree with this.

RaginStajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:

Filppula would be a good player to sign for a stepping stone for our prospects, as Backlund and Monahan/Lindholm will not be ready to play 1st line minutes. I wouldn't mind signing him for 2/3 years worth 4 million per or so. Also, there are rumors going around that Filppula will test the free agency market.
I don't hate Filppula, but if he'd sign for 2-3 years at 4 million he already would've with the wings. I'd like him at 2 years 8 million, but I doubt he'd take that to come to the Flames. I'd be looking at Chicago. They need to get Stalberg, Leddy, Kruger, Bickell, Roszival and a back-up done for around 7 million. Basically they can keep one or two of those players and pick up league minimums for the rest OR they can keep most of them and deal Frolik/Bolland for peanuts. They'll probably buy-out Montador to free up 1.5 as well.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Quote:
I don't hate Filppula, but if he'd sign for 2-3 years at 4 million he already would've with the wings. I'd like him at 2 years 8 million, but I doubt he'd take that to come to the Flames. I'd be looking at Chicago. They need to get Stalberg, Leddy, Kruger, Bickell, Roszival and a back-up done for around 7 million. Basically they can keep one or two of those players and pick up league minimums for the rest OR they can keep most of them and deal Frolik/Bolland for peanuts. They'll probably buy-out Montador to free up 1.5 as well.
What's Stalberg's contractual situation? Seeing him in the playoffs, he's a player we could really use.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:02 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:

Filppula
Backlund
Stajan

as our top-9 centers next year would be palatable. I mean, its not great but at least they will be able to compete.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Filppula
Backlund
Stajan

as our top-9 centers next year would be palatable. I mean, its not great but at least they will be able to compete.
Filppula with all of 17 points in 41 games last year? I'll pass on plugging him in a top-6 role. I'd rather have Cammy or Tanguay playing centre on the first line like last year.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:12 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Filppula with all of 17 points in 41 games last year? I'll pass on plugging him in a top-6 role. I'd rather have Cammy or Tanguay playing centre on the first line like last year.
Do not want....

Taking our 2 best wingers off the wing is less than a good idea.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
What's Stalberg's contractual situation? Seeing him in the playoffs, he's a player we could really use.
UFA. If I'm Chicago though, I'm dealing Bolland and Frolik and retaining Bickell, Stalberg and Leddy. I'd let Roszival walk. Of course, I'm not Chicago and can hope they don't. I'd have tons of interest in Stalberg too. I'd even go long term.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

Quote:
UFA. If I'm Chicago though, I'm dealing Bolland and Frolik and retaining Bickell, Stalberg and Leddy. I'd let Roszival walk. Of course, I'm not Chicago and can hope they don't. I'd have tons of interest in Stalberg too. I'd even go long term.
Well, they're clearly on a different page right now. Stalberg seems to feel like he's being mistreated, and as long as he's a UFA, he has every opportunity to test the market. Calgary is a place where we can offer him everything he's looking for.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Filppula
Backlund
Stajan

I kind of feel the same way. Then in the 2014/15 season, the top 9 centres could be any of: Filppula/Backlund/Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan/Reinhart/etc.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:26 PM
AfricanHerbsman

Quote:
Well, they're clearly on a different page right now. Stalberg seems to feel like he's being mistreated, and as long as he's a UFA, he has every opportunity to test the market. Calgary is a place where we can offer him everything he's looking for.
Except a cup contender....

AfricanHerbsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanHerbsman View Post
Except a cup contender....
His attitude indicates that being a fringe player on a cup contender doesn't make him happy. Maybe being an integral part of an organization which is looking to produce a cup contender in the future will. He's still young. He doesn't need to worry about retiring before this franchise ever turns the corner.

Also, he may very well have his cup ring already after this series.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:54 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
No to Filppula at anything more than 4 million or at any longer than 4 years. He is a 2nd line winger not a center and not a #1 center.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

Stalberg will not resign with Chicago. He has not played good these playoffs and I read Chicago considered scratching him for game 1 of the SCF. I am not saying I don't want him as I think he could be a decent addition I'm just saying he hasn't played near as good in these playoffs as some here have made him out to be. Also he's been on the hawks 4th line throughout the playoffs

Old
06-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Sventastic47

If we could sign Bickell/Stallberg, Horton and Roy/Bozak/Filpula I would be very happy,not saying it would make us a playoff contender but it would make watching next season not completely terrible

Sventastic47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sventastic47 View Post
If we could sign Bickell/Stallberg, Horton and Roy/Bozak/Filpula I would be very happy,not saying it would make us a playoff contender but it would make watching next season not completely terrible
Personally, I'd take Stalberg more than Bickell. Bickell will be demanding more money, and I think his ceiling might be lower than Stalberg just from what I've seen from them. Stalberg has size and speed aplenty, and I think if he can put it together he might be a star for our team, and hopefully his role on the Hawks' team right now lowers the price tag.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
Stalberg will not resign with Chicago. He has not played good these playoffs and I read Chicago considered scratching him for game 1 of the SCF. I am not saying I don't want him as I think he could be a decent addition I'm just saying he hasn't played near as good in these playoffs as some here have made him out to be. Also he's been on the hawks 4th line throughout the playoffs
Just realized stalberg is in fact scratched for game 1 in cup final, so obliviously he isn't nearly as good as you guys made him out to be

Old
06-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
Just realized stalberg is in fact scratched for game 1 in cup final, so obliviously he isn't nearly as good as you guys made him out to be
Once again, I'm left to wonder if that's a real opinion or just a satire of how some people think.... and spell.

Personally, my judgement on his value to the Flames is based purely on the abilities he's displayed in some of the Hawks games I've watched thus far in the playoffs. I don't think we have a winger on our team currently with his speed and size combination, and I think that's a big hole on our team.

Also, a lot of his treatment right now is apparently due to a bit of a rift between the player and the coach. He was benched earlier this season for complaining about not being used on the PP, and he's again unhappy about his role now where he's been getting 8 minutes a night.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Stalberg would be a good signing for our team. I hope we target him. He'd probably be on our top line next year.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:52 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Stalberg would be a good signing for our team. I hope we target him. He'd probably be on our top line next year.
No he really won't he isn't a top 6 player and isn't big enough or physical enough for the 3rd line he wouldn't be a good fit at all. If we aren't going to have a good team we need to a have a physical one to protect the kids.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Stalberg is 6'3, he'd probably be our biggest forward lol.

He also has alot of speed which would be favourable in Hartley's system, and he's a skilled guy so he can play with a guy like Sven. Just because he isn't top 6 on the Hawks sure doesn't mean he wouldn't be on our team. Their second line is gonna make our top line next year look like a joke. I'd be happy if we signed him on a 2 year deal. No one can really say for sure that he wouldn't do good here because he hasn't got the minutes on the Hawks due to their depth. He's always had top 6 upside and he would get that chance here.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 06-12-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote